• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm saying we land out of range of our own attack. Not hitting with it, but aiming to force a reaction most DDD's do of shield grabbing Ike's nair. if anything we can ftilt after landing and heck mess with their mind alot. If they start not shielding when we nair, we can start to try to tipper nair or fair instead of nair or hell do something to make them over think whats going on. abuse how nair has so little landing lag!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If they see an attack, they will think "PUNISH!" If they see nothing, they will think "WAIT", thing is, what are they gonna do to punish us? They have to drop shield to an attack and that means they need an attack that his range greater than nair that can hit in 3 frames as Nair's landing lag is 9 frames.

Its sort of like MK's dair camping, not aiming to hit, but aiming to control the space.

though anything that makes them think more it good to do. Goal is to make them overthink...

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Or they could retreat and just Waddle Doo camp us until we get frustrated and actually start approaching. At which point they shield and punish.

It's all theory of course, but this Nair baiting sounds at least worth a try. I'll give it a shot against some of the local DDD mains at the smashfest tomorrow, see if they fall for it.

:034:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Waddle Dee takes 18 frames to come out.

The throw will throw themselves into nair if they try, and if its after nair its too slow

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Been thinking about this for a little while...

How does it sound to use Counter on Pikmin pummels up close? I mean a Pikmin thrown from a Side-B that does damage over time. I feel like it'd be pretty hard for an Olimar to punish since we've got invincibility frames on Counter, and we can space it however we like (except according to the time intervals of a Pikmin pummeling).

Usually the thing about Counter being punished so easily is because of the start-up/lag time, but neither should be a problem in this case because you don't need to worry about start-up if you're moving from out of range then into range as your Counter starts, and the frame disadvantage doesn't seem too bad (-29). And the range is farther than a jab, which leaves plenty of space for preventing retaliation. Haven't exactly tried this out myself, but it was something to think about since I don't exactly like this matchup anyway >_>

Edit: About Nairing DDD, I don't see what will prevent a DDD from wanting to run up, powershield the move, and grab you anyway. Nair isn't exactly DDD's biggest enemy when he's facing Ike (though the followups may very well be).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Trust me on this..

Counter sucks against Olimar and that idea...

tried it already in 08

Also, my plan isn't fool proof, but doesn't mean it's not viable. Its a mix up and a pace maker. If you are setting the pace, you are in control.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Just Nair the pikmin off. Didn't GP bring that up before? .-.
Also, did anybody know you can immediately kill the pikmin Olimar plucks after he respawns? lol
I've been able to do a few times but there's some sort of timing to it.
And another thing most people probably didn't know about, you can attack Diddy's peanuts and eat the tiny pieces to heal a bit....

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I actually was anticipating the pikmin throw... I just should have countered later, but Olimar could have shielded/hit me out of it

•Col•

Smash Champion
So what? Don't you main ICs now? Or maybe that was Palpi. Idk.
I thought I already said this, but maybe I didn't... I was going to try maining them, but then I decided against it.

Can't even really practice with them... The only tv I have is pretty laggy.... Not to mention I don't have anyone to play with for a few months, so I'd be playing against computers and/or just practicing chaingrabs... Which isn't going to really help me learn Ice Climbers... >_>

Plus my tv broke a few weeks ago, so now I can't play Brawl AT ALL, and probably won't get to until mid-December.

So anyway yeah, I still main Ike. :/

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well, I main Marth too. It depends on how I'm feeling, I guess. I keep switching back and forth which character I play more. Usually around 60-40.

But last time I played (not counting when I played computers), was at Apex2010, and Ike was on the upswing then. :/ Plus my Marth is waaaaaaaaaay inconsistent whenever I play against a decent character that I'm not too familiar with. (Most characters between top and mid tier) lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pika's quick attack means i can go to the blastzone easily with a means to come back.

It's like i'm MK without wings!

Mr. Doom, hope you're practicing your HDTV lag skills

•Col•

Smash Champion
baiting is the key to everything in brawl...

the game itself relies on forcing your opponent to make more mistakes.
Liez! I can pick MK and make twice as many mistakes as my opponent and still win. :bee:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
.. well that's what MU numbers really mean...

either how lethal 1 mistake is or how hard it is to force the other person to make a mistake.

Just remember everyone knows MK to the point that you know how to punish even the slightest mistake MK makes while he doesn't know how to punish your slightest mistake but still wins cause he's MK

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Also liez! I need more top MK exp, no MKs to play locally that don't have really serious habits that great MKs don't have. Playing bad MKs don't help you learn the matchup at all. Not even decent MKs, because top MKs play so much better. I did get some valuable experience in a few matches with anti/havok and an all-nighter with Nerd from WA, though.

About brawl-, it's funny in a lol-that's-dumb kind of way. Let's just say I use jiggs in brawl-.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Omg I love jiggs in brawl-

There was a party at my house and I whipped out brawl- to all the kids, I kept destroying them with sing > self induced shield break

such a fun noob destoryer.

Pikachu is for my serious destroying :D

I hope your quest to destroy MK is successful San! Feel free to ask for help too.. I can think of something for you to try out...

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Also liez! I need more top MK exp, no MKs to play locally that don't have really serious habits that great MKs don't have. Playing bad MKs don't help you learn the matchup at all. Not even decent MKs, because top MKs play so much better. I did get some valuable experience in a few matches with anti/havok and an all-nighter with Nerd from WA, though.
Come to Kansas, and you'll hate the MK match-up all over again.

BTW, the Brawl Backroom Application Thread closed yesterday. >_> You snooze, you lose, or so the old saying goes.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
After hardly being able to be on smashboards the last few weeks, I'm just too busy atm.

I never hated the MK matchup, I just have a hard time getting timing down, because the room for punishment is very small yet possible so I always try to go for it. Don't know any MKs in Kansas except for Affinity so.. doesn't sound too bad I guess, unless there are things I'm missing.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Well, I suppose Kansas is mainly an "underground" state, if you know what I mean. We don't get enough recognition, but I do believe we're about to make some waves at MLG Dallas.

There are at least 2 other MK mains in Kansas who are exceptional. We sort of taught each other the Ike-MK match-up, but the process is still evolving, which is very annoying for me.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
There's Domo and Clel and Affinity. I think Domo is the best of the three, but I haven't seen Affinity play in a long time, so it may be unfair to judge.

But I think the best players from Kansas aren't the MKs. Holms is really really good at the game. Best Wolf I think I've seen.

Cool, you can see who is viewing the thread now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Got 7th out of 30 at the tourny I was at. Lost to K'Prime and Denti. That 12 year old Snake main was there. He is so legit. Almost beat me too. It's gonna be scary once he learns some more technical stuff like DI and proper CP'in.

Mid Tier doubles didn't go so well since my partner (Poltergust using Shiek), SD'ed 5-6 times in our losers set vs Nike and MegaFox (the 12 year old kid is also good with Fox). Can't say I was happy with that. Especially in game 3 when he stole my stock when I was at 150 dmg, and doing work on both of them. I guess I was upset mainly because I thought we had a chance at winning it all. Ah well. Xyro is gonna implement more mid tier events, so Brett or Slaps, if you wanna do double Ike, I wouldn't mind trying it. I wanna see how Ike and Kirby work out as well.

Btw, Shiek's F-tilt lock sets up nicely for Ike's f-smash.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I swear I know megafox from somewhere.. Too many foxes on my AIM buddy list to remember if so.

Polt's shiek wasn't that bad at MLG. Oh well =(

What character out of mid tiers is most fun to team with? For me it's DK.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
MegaFox doesn't actually main(maybe) Fox. How surprising.
But I see his name around on AIB wifi stuff. Didn't know he was 12. lmao

•Col•

Smash Champion
You've definitely improved in the MK matchup though, San. I remember at MLG Columbus, I was thinking you had quite a bit to work on, but then at Apex2010 in that EastCoast vs West Coast crew battle, I noticed you were doing a lot better at the MK you faced.

.... And in other news, I got drunk for the first time tonight. gonna go to bed now. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I watched san all day at Apex. He fought DEHF's MK and almost took 3 stocks when he had only 2

He lost to doom, lee martin and um... Thats it for MKs. He did beat another MK but that MK went last hit with me.. So yea.. Oh and BC on RC xD

In other news, i got to round 38 in der reise in nazi zombies.. So epic of a run.. My friend keeps dying in one hit though o.O

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
There's Domo and Clel and Affinity. I think Domo is the best of the three, but I haven't seen Affinity play in a long time, so it may be unfair to judge.

But I think the best players from Kansas aren't the MKs. Holms is really really good at the game. Best Wolf I think I've seen.
Holms is good at this game? He's gonna have a cow. And yeah, you're correct in saying that Domo is the best out of the three MKs. No unfair judging has been made.

Mid Tier doubles didn't go so well since my partner (Poltergust using Shiek), SD'ed 5-6 times in our losers set vs Nike and MegaFox (the 12 year old kid is also good with Fox).
Hey, who SD'd? You or Poltergust? I need to send one of you an invitation. Aww, heck, I'll just send the both of you an invitation.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
MegaFox mains Snake, but he seconds Fox. He's really good with both characters, but pretty predictable with Fox. He has a pretty unique style of playing, which has led to him getting a lot of hype. He still needs to work on the more detailed and technical stuff such as DI, CP'in, etc. He could have taken me to Halberd Game 3 with Snake, but opted SV...where I won lol.

Mr. Doom, Poltergust SD'ed 6 times.

I'm gonna upload some friendlies we did back at Nike's place. Ike + Ganon so legit. We got Zigsta's Bowser in a jab lock to Ganon d-air from 0-90 damage rofl. Don't know when the videos will be up though.

San, DK does sound like an interesting partner, but I'm gonna team up with Espy next time around, and after that Gova's Kirby. I wanna see what crap we can pull out with both characters.

Top Bottom