• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Ike Boards Bi-Weeklies Thread ~ Come in and discuss ideas! ~

Would you like to see the bi-weeklies start up again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Fair enough, so then the only requirement is that you'll do your best to make it out to them, lol. The only votes I won't count are people who definitely can't or don't want to make it to any.

:248:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd prefer RC over Brinstar. Seems like Brin is being phased out more and more.

And I'm gonna make you guys regret for picking Halberd. I'll enjoy my moment when you guys die at 50% due to a ****ty ceiling.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh that goes without saying. Lulz doubles and FFAs afterwards are a classic.

A classic which i never got to be part of back then due to time issues

That said, I will be doing them this time around because to hell with appropriate bedtimes

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I don't think Ike can kill another Ike at 50% even on Halberd unless they fall right into a flashing Eruption. It's good for DI practice too if you look at it that way, they'll have to DI things like Usmash and Utilt well.

Just finished editing the OP and stats stuff and got rid of all stats from the unfinished Season 3. I kept all the records from Seasons 1 and 2 intact since those were full seasons, but we'll basically be starting Season 3 fresh.

Vote on the CPs so far is:

1 for neither RC or Brinstar
1 for only RC
0 for only Brinstar
1 for both RC and Brinstar

Edit: And by the way, sign-ups for the first new bi-weekly will start either this Sunday or Monday and run through next Saturday as usual. I'll leave the current sign-up list in the OP until then and weed out people who didn't/couldn't show up afterwards.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't think Ike can kill another Ike at 50% even on Halberd unless they fall right into a flashing Eruption. It's good for DI practice too if you look at it that way, they'll have to DI things like Usmash and Utilt well.

Obvious exaggeration not detected.

There is a slim chance I maybe able to make it next Sunday. I'll be leaving for home from college on Sunday morning, so chances are I'll get to the weekly super late.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Obvious exaggeration not detected.

There is a slim chance I maybe able to make it next Sunday. I'll be leaving for home from college on Sunday morning, so chances are I'll get to the weekly super late.
Not-as-obvious inflection understandably not detected. I should have put :troll: after it.

And that's cool, although depending on how late there obviously may not be many people left to play.

Gah Brett, making my job harder for tomorrow if nobody else votes.
:glare:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
@Jam, next Sunday is actually the 13th, not the 11th, but seeing as that was probably a typo I doubt it changes your availability.

Never said you had to be an Ike main for your vote to count, just that you had to plan on participating. And technically you don't need to be an Ike main to participate. So, you down C.J.?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I'll vote for neither RC or Brinstar. But it doesn't really matter too much for me if you can ban 2 stages (are we keeping that rule?), since those would be the ones I'll be banning. xP

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In all technicality, there is no true "interference" on RC. It's just that the stage is moving, which you gotta be aware of. Some characters can be put into bad positions, but overall...it's not like Brinstar where the blast zones are short, and the lava below you can play a role in you dying or living.

If the vote count is at a tie or no majority, I will change my vote to both banned.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, I will sign up now, Although theres the slim possibility i cant do it, because work might need me to do that shift

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
(I don't know why RC is legal in any ruleset.)
So that magic can happen. Several times. All in one stock.

So with Foodies' vote that makes 2 votes for neither RC or Brinstar and 1 for all of the others. I'll give it 2 more hours for anyone who couldn't get online or something.

@Foodies, we really only had the 2 stage bans because the stage list was so huge. Since I've shrunk it down to less than half it's original size, I'll be changing the ban count to 1 as well. So yah, just the 1 ban. I guess I probably should have mentioned that before starting this vote; I still have to update the rules in the OP.

@G~P, noted and added to the spreadsheet for now. Anyone else who wants to officially sign up can do so, but I won't really announce sign-ups and send out the PM until tomorrow sometime.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
... Blast zones are very short on RC everywhere. There are walkoffs, places where plenty of characters are forced to put themselves into a bad position or give up momentum. There is a guaranteed kill for tons of characters at the end of the stage. Those with multiple jumps are given a profound advantage for 50% of the stage... I just don't like all of that.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Blast zones are relatively short (particularly the ceiling during the upper section) and also dynamic, but they can be deceptively deeper than they seem. You'd be surprised the kind of things I've survived/seen people survive off the left side when the stage is at it's furthest left point.

There's really only the one walkoff and the screen is constantly moving away from it, eventually making it not a walkoff. I was only able to get the Bthrow -> DA there because my opponent went on auto-pilot and rolled for no reason. Plus there are platforms all over the place and several slopes to break up the walkoff.

Yes it's easy for momentum shifts to happen but that's one of the reasons why I like it as a counter-pick. If someone is good at playing with momentum, take them to RC so they're forced to reset themselves every so often. It adds a very distinct player counter-pick element on top of character counter-picks.

Guaranteed kill? If you mean the rising wall there are plenty of ways to avoid that. If you mean something else... I don't know what it would be. I wouldn't say any character with multiple jumps has a profound advantage. It's an advantage no doubt, but there are quite a few different ways to scale and cross the stage to avoid getting harried by a flying opponent and make full use of just a single double jump.

I'll admit I'm a little bias because I love RC and it's one of my most productive CPs even in Ike's worse MUs (you know you've upset the balance when the other top players in your region ban RC against your Ike), but I also objectively see it as an okay CP. No random hazards or anything, it's all fixed motion.

ANYWAYS here is the beta version of the updated rule set for the bi-weeklies. If you have any comments, questions or concerns about this rule set, please make them heard a.s.a.p. I will be drilling this rule set through people's heads to make sure there's no confusion about how the matches progress in terms of secondary characters on the day of the tourney:

~ Specific Rules and Guidelines ~

Rules that are HIGHLIGHTED AND BOLDED are NEW and/or IMPORTANT.
  • Each set will be best 2 out of 3 matches.
  • Each match will be 3 stocks with an 8 minute timer.
  • Items will be set to 'Off' and 'None'.
  • Stalling is banned.
  • The character Meta Knight is banned and can only be used by either player if both players agree to it.
  • In the event of a time out, the winner is decided first by stocks, then by percents. If stocks and percents are tied, a 1-stock match with a 4 minute timer will be played on a random neutral stage to determine the winner.
  • Before a set, each player must strike 2 of the 5 listed Starter Stages, so that only 1 stage remains. This remaining stage will be used for the first match.
  • Both players must use the character Ike for the first match of a set.
  • The winner of a match may choose to ban 1 stage (Starter or Counterpick) so that the loser cannot counter-pick that stage. The loser then chooses any Starter or Counterpick stage to play on, besides the other player's banned stage.
  • The player who just won a match must play as a secondary character of their choosing for the next match in the set (however, see above rule for the Meta Knight ban). The player must announce their secondary character to their opponent before said opponent counter-picks a stage.
  • The player who just lost a match must play as Ike for the next match in the set.
  • The above two rules apply to matches 2 and 3 in any set. If the set goes to match 3, the loser of match 2 must play as Ike for match 3 and counter-pick after the winner of match 2 announces their secondary character.
  • A player may not choose to return to a stage they have already won on previously in the same set.
  • When the tournament begins, each player will be required to play every other player once in a full 2/3 set (no more than once). Players are permitted to leave early if they need to, but may stay as long as they like to finish their sets.
  • After completion of a set, players are required to use the Xat chat room's Private Chat function (not Private Message) to give the TO the score of the set in matches (ex. "I won 2-0" or "I lost 1-2").
  • The secondary character a player chose to use, if they were required to use one in the set, must also be told to the TO along with whether or not they won a match with said secondary character.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It's sad that I don't spend hours watching a ton of other people's smash videos (barring video critique stuff)?

Edit: Wait Slaps you vote for just Brinstar legal? Back to square one then, lol. Votes are:

2 for neither RC nor Brinstar legal
1 for only RC legal
2 for only Brinstar legal
1 for both RC and Brinstar legal

If nobody else votes in half an hour I'll break the tie I guess.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
it's sad that i don't spend hours watching a ton of other people's smash videos (barring video critique stuff)?

Edit: Wait slaps you vote for just brinstar legal? Back to square one then, lol. Votes are:

2 for neither rc nor brinstar legal
1 for only rc legal
2 for only brinstar legal
1 for both rc and brinstar legal

if nobody else votes in half an hour i'll break the tie i guess.

muahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhaha <3

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Did I just see two dairs to the ground?

And yeah that typo doesn't change the fact that I'm not attending the first one.
Dang.

And yah IIRC first one was an attempted C-stick Nair, second one (above the platform) was intentional so that the hitbox would extend below the platform and hit him. Not the best idea in most cases obviously, but it felt pretty safe at the time considering my lead and I was sure I had his jump read.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
As much as i hate RC it's much more beneficial and you can get a better game with the platforms but against air characters i have difficult times.

Also nyke, add me to the OP i'd like to participate in the tourney on the 13th.

DTK.L/2323-1225-2703

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Whoa, DTK, it's been awhile! This thread is already pulling a bunch of people out of the lurking shadows, lol. Think you'll want to come out for some of these?

Also I guess I have to break the tie for CPs now... sigh. The tie is between neither RC nor Brinstar and only Brinstar. Counting the other votes there were essentially 3 votes to have Brinstar as a legal CP (with or without RC) and 3 votes not to have it...

Since it's perfectly split and I'm not inherently a conservative guy, we're going to try having Brinstar in the CP list for this first tourney and see how it goes. Seeing as anyone playing as a secondary character can't counter-pick anyways (they will always have just won a match), we shouldn't be seeing stuff like Wario on Brinstar unless the Ike player wants to go there anyways. So really, shouldn't be a big deal.

Edit: Ignore my initial question then, lol. Adding you now, DTK. Also I've updated the stage list in the OP, gonna post it here in a sec.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Updated stage list:

~ Starters ~

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Halberd
Smashville

~ Counter Picks ~

Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1

This is the final stage list for the first tournament. Subject to change after that based on feedback.

Important: Read over the new rule set (in the OP) carefully and let me know if you have any outstanding concerns or need any clarification.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Didn't DTK just vote for RC? And did you change my vote or not Nys? Cause I said I'd change my vote to neither if that's what seemed most popular.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm not sure if that was a vote for RC or not, I didn't take it to be, but regardless it would have been a three-way tie at 2 so I imagine you would still have changed your vote to neither? I guess I missed that part of your post.

In that case it looks like we're going with neither legal, I'll edit it.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Whoa, DTK, it's been awhile! This thread is already pulling a bunch of people out of the lurking shadows, lol. Think you'll want to come out for some of these?

Also I guess I have to break the tie for CPs now... sigh. The tie is between neither RC nor Brinstar and only Brinstar. Counting the other votes there were essentially 3 votes to have Brinstar as a legal CP (with or without RC) and 3 votes not to have it...

Since it's perfectly split and I'm not inherently a conservative guy, we're going to try having Brinstar in the CP list for this first tourney and see how it goes. Seeing as anyone playing as a secondary character can't counter-pick anyways (they will always have just won a match), we shouldn't be seeing stuff like Wario on Brinstar unless the Ike player wants to go there anyways. So really, shouldn't be a big deal.

Edit: Ignore my initial question then, lol. Adding you now, DTK. Also I've updated the stage list in the OP, gonna post it here in a sec.

I would chill around the ike boards MUCH more often but i'm just unsure how to contribute to the ike boards as much as i want to as well as contribute to a simple conversation and stay on topic, So i mainly just lurk. Also yeah i was voting RC in favor i have more win history there than brinstar. But it doesn't mean i won't disallow it i'll play there to improve my knowledge of what i should and should not be doing.

I love ike ditto's so i'll enjoy playing all of you again as well as newcomers for the first time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^I'm pretty sure it's too late to be switching. Otherwise, it gives everyone the right to switch. I just happen to state my case much earlier, in case there was a tie breaker needed.

I would chill around the ike boards MUCH more often but i'm just unsure how to contribute to the ike boards as much as i want to as well as contribute to a simple conversation and stay on topic, So i mainly just lurk. Also yeah i was voting RC in favor i have more win history there than brinstar. But it doesn't mean i won't disallow it i'll play there to improve my knowledge of what i should and should not be doing.

I love ike ditto's so i'll enjoy playing all of you again as well as newcomers for the first time.

Dude, you can bring up any sort of conversation you want in the social thread. Yeah you might get ignored if it's nothing important to anyone else (it's happened to everyone here), but usually someone will respond. It's not like we're discussing metagame 24/7 as you would know. Now if you're saying lolis and Fire Emblem are not your thing...trust me, I understand.

Top Bottom