• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
True. We still like the 2nd part better anyways, though =) (outside of bthrow-->dash attack shenanigans on the right side of part 1.) For some reason I kind of like frigate quite a bit, even though it's just a stage I do average on lol.

About aether, we can just agree that it's usable on stages with slants akin or no solid bottom, and sometimes those with lips we can easily come back on (PS1/frigate come to mind) but just be wary of everything that can hit aether. People trying to hit aether can be very easily telegraphed, and aether can be a nice mixup to prevent successful edgeguards when you're trying to get back to the stage.

FD, Lylat, Frigate, Castle Siege are really the only ones where it's much easier to hit you out of your aether. Ike does just fine onstage on Lylat and Castle Siege, and debatable on the others.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
CS 3rd part would be easy, first part you can hide under the ledge. The 3rd part of CS and Lylat tilts too so its random

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Something just hit me about stage 2 of Frigate Orpheon.

Feasibly, if there existed such a character that was a frame or two away from being Bthrow chaingrabbed on a neutral flat stage like Final Destination then would not that same character be able to be CGed multiple times due to the slight slants which bring said characters closer to Ike post-Bthrow?

Characters I have in mind are DK, Ganondorf and D3 but those are simply the ones it'd be easiest to test it out on.

I would normally jump at this opportunity, spend like an hour or two in debug mode and post my results but my Wii is thousands of miles away so...

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I would love to test, but my brawl got stolen last tourney.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
No at a tourney. I went to get my wii, turned it on to play, and there was no disk in there.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
No at a tourney. I went to get my wii, turned it on to play, and there was no disk in there.
lol, similar thing once happened at my college. my friends went to play brawl at the game corner. they asked for SSBB at the counter, and were shocked when they heard brawl got stolen (the culprit was most prolly one of us and there was nothing we could do about it, sigh). oh well, one semester later the ppl at the counter got another brawl disc and we were all happy again :).

Heartstring

Smash Legend
a-ha! detective work is needed!

no, everyone just act like ***** if they want to be, someone tried to take my TV when i took it to a tourney, i wuz leik 'ahem, no' and **** i love having unexpected power XD

also san, how do you do that wierd shenanigans where you grab the ledge on ps1 from underneath it? i tried doing it and just sd'd all over the place

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Lots of attacks can still hit you so do it if you think they'll mess up, won't try to hit you, or theoretically can't.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's just the small lip on the left part. It's not really useful, but just keep in mind that getting stuck down there doesn't mean you can't recover.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Here's the problem with multiple low damage sword strikes.

First off, hit stun is determined by the damage and knockback of a move, at least to a small degree. As a result, aether's lack of both with gaps in attacks means that of a person has a brain and theyre caught inside aether, they can flat out hit you with a move if it's fast enough. I've been taken off the top by orion's meta knight as he was just mashing his C stick up to get out of aether, I just got flat out hit by MK's up air and it wasn't remotely intentional. Add to the fact that it's much easier to smash DI these moves and even marth can smash DI Up and spike you for it, something a CPU has done to me 3 times but few marths would ever be in that situation if they're good enough tod o that in the first place.

When fox is being hit by wolf's up B, fox can flat out shine wolf and kill him because of the gaps in attacks. Aether barely barely BARELY escapes this and I'm actually not even sure it actually does, fox may be able to do it in that 6 frame gap.

And yeah san, I think we view aether as vulnerable at different points. I think the position on startup gives away a lot about the move personally.
that was like the funniest thing. i was just mashing and you died LOL go brawl son

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
turns out you can land onstage from doing a walk of fair if you do it frame perfectly walking off the stage and right at the peak of Ike's 2nd jump

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I just find it much harder than recovering with walk off dair. I thought it was some sort of fluke that I made it back to the stage a few times with fair, though. If someone can make it back to the stage at least 60% of the time after walk off fair, props to him/her O_o

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Walk-off Fair seems pretty easy to me to get back on stage. Then again, that's only when I'm bored, have no one to play, and end up playing computers instead. Unless you're interrupted or you wait till you Fair, you should be able to make it back.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Guess I just have good timing with walk off F-air -shrugs-. But yea, no point in doing walk off f-air unless the opponent is really high in damage and your move isn't stale. Otherwise, there's a chance you can get gimped.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Just a random thought: against Sonics, has anyone tried running off and BAir stagespiking them in the middle of their recovery when they go low? It seems like it would be much safer than doing it on G&W or Marth because they don't have a hitbox during their actual up+B.

About walk-off FAir: I knew that you can land onstage with it, but I've always messed up the timing in actual matches so I don't go for it except at high %s.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sonic has too much invincibility during the upB for that. Best to bide your time and try to get him while he's falling.

about walkoffs, my timing is always off because I focus to hit the person instead of trying to buffer an aerial offstage lol

Heartstring

Smash Legend
err, how would you buffer a walkoff aerial? surely if you triwd you walkoff dair with a-stick youll just dash attack onstage?
or am i doing something wrong as usual?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
walkoff fair comes out fast enough that you can double jump back and aether back onstage without having to touch the ledge, but expect to be punished for that.

i think the general idea would be to do it on characters that can't afford to airdodge or attack you, a prime example is the ice climbers because if they do then at the very least nana is going to be dead, providing you space the f-air to a reasonable level, only marth can really try to hit you and even then might be too low to reach the edge again, something to do when you yourself is at a high percentage while they're reasonably low, cause then its a sucess even if you both die (unless its your last stock and not theirs)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I feel that jumping before fair is just easier and safer, allows to punish air dodges and aerial attacks with much more leeway.

Top Bottom