• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
That seems like a good time. The beginning and ends of summer should also be good for me as well.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
She said she knew an Ike who used attack stick when she saw me make my controls, but that can't be you lololol
sigh. Even Nicole doesn't remember Mr. Doom... She was referring to Watkins. I did some dittos with him and have confirmed that I do not know the ditto match-up, which was why I said 0-100 other Ike's favor. lol

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol, i dislike ike ditto's too!

as for peach, peach is actually one of the few ike vs. matchups thats i think is 50:50, its more dependent on the persons playstyle, if the peach is more defensive then the ike will probably have a hrder time while if he more offensive we can have a day trip

also i think i'vew found something, not sure if it needs to be frame perfect, but i think we can f-throw chaingrab snake up the slope on distant planet, maybe others aswell but ive only tried it on snake so far

also, and interesting icy development is that we can backthrow infinite falco on ice, providing we dash a little way then grab, our grab range should slide close enough before he can do anything, but he may be able to use that god-forsaken frame2 jab.

can someone debug mode test these?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Combined "making most of jab cancels" and "following the grab" with "Following up your moves" I intend to to include dair and nair in this.

Added reverse jab as an OoS option

Added full hop fair and nair to anti aerial

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
sigh. Even Nicole doesn't remember Mr. Doom... She was referring to Watkins. I did some dittos with him and have confirmed that I do not know the ditto match-up, which was why I said 0-100 other Ike's favor. lol
Ike dittos are pretty ridiculous because they basically revolve around getting your opponent to do a punishable approach or waiting for dash attack punish opportunities. Then it comes down to fair spacing people out of aether etc....

Lots of subtleties to it, but I don't think you have to worry about that MU in the midwest until I come back next summer har har.

But yeah Ussi, I gave Nicole mad Ike practice (along with MK practice, both of with have massively helped her out apparently), so uh, sorry? lolol

Anyway, I don't think Peach/Ike is 50/50. Ike has a few tricks in the matchup that push it into 55:45 or 60:40. One being that Peach's air dodge is awful and if you get her in the right spot she literally cannot dodge through your up air or even up smash. Reverse aether spiking is a stock too if you hit her with it, and it's not too hard to. You can also dair and fair her out of umbrella. Jab to uptilt is very effective, kills at like 100% (though she's too floaty to jab cancel too much :/).

Plus if you powershield turnips and DONT DROP YOUR SHIELD FOR THE FAIR COMING TOWARDS YOUR FACE you're all set. It's really about which person knows the matchup more obviously.

Nicole and I played a ton for the past few months and if I had to personally give the MU a rating I'd say 60:40 Ike just because Ike is so hard for her to kill with proper DI. Nicole didn't really know how to edgeguard me though, which makes me wonder how it would be if the Peach knew how to be a little more aggressive offstage...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Praxis couldn't really edgeguard me and I barely play against peaches so...

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Seeing all this strategic stuff made me remember:

I just got an invite to a special local tournament that's invite only on the 28th... But uh, I need some help sharpening my skills up before that to get a decent place as the ONLY person who uses Ike locally... Is anyone free to critique me [harshly if possible?]? :urg: Help is always appreciated~

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Cristina, use AiB's free play already. Basic Brawl isn't going to help you past a certain point, especially if there's a bunch of items flying around. I'm up for wifi pretty much every afternoon during the weekdays (PST) in the summer, so if you see me on just PM me.

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
I don't use AiB's freeplay feature because I'd rather play people from the Ike boards who I know will give me great advice on what I should and should not do when using Ike, since I'm going to use him at the tournament. This matter isn't about everyday things, it's just about this upcoming tournament.

Sure, I'd use it afterwards or anytime I feel like doing, but I'm just trying to get some good criticism right now, that's why I'm here asking you guys...

Brett already went through the talk of me needing to talk to other people and expand further into the 'community', but as I stated earlier---Ike critics~

I basic brawl because I like making random friends and not everyone fights all the time, so I get to single out with someone there without having the worries of a random free for all. Not to mention some of the 'friendly' people doing basic brawls dispose of the items that fly around randomly.

Sooo yeah. Sorry I went into rant mode, but that's what everything's all about right now. I'm not exactly looking for all the battles I can get, but just for some fellow Ike criticism and whatnot.... Basic brawling is just a fun, time-killer for me, I don't use it for tournament training or anything. Shoot, for all that matter, I fight my brother. He beats me all the time when I fight him with Ike, but apparently he doesn't have experience fighting an outer community that well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well the downside to not going into freeplay is that you don't get other MU experience. We can tell you what to do against "X" character, but it's a whole different story when you have to apply it. Practice almost makes perfect.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Hold on. I can record matches. Just tell me what date you recorded it on and who were the contestants.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
That much is true, yes... Despite my hate for you, Bored, you're (awesome).
Do I get a cookie?

I need to get on that AiB free play thing myself. I barely have any free time right now because of work.

If you want to, I can play you sometime late in the evening. Just hit the Xat and see if I'm there (I like actually chatting to people who I'm playing so I can point out lulz). Though it will probably be just more Ike dittos, unless I'm not too lazy to work on my Olimar and visit their boards.

EDIT: I just noticed that the first sentence of that last paragraph sounded like a Gym Leader telling you when they're free for a rematch in HG/SS.

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
You're at least able to talk to us in multiple threads. I'll consider that a step forward.

And that's not meant to offend.
None taken.

Hold on. I can record matches. Just tell me what date you recorded it on and who were the contestants.
Thank you, Mr. Doom. I'll give you a few replays momentarily.

Do I get a cookie?

I need to get on that AiB free play thing myself. I barely have any free time right now because of work.

If you want to, I can play you sometime late in the evening. Just hit the Xat and see if I'm there (I like actually chatting to people who I'm playing so I can point out lulz). Though it will probably be just more Ike dittos, unless I'm not too lazy to work on my Olimar and visit their boards.

EDIT: I just noticed that the first sentence of that last paragraph sounded like a Gym Leader telling you when they're free for a rematch in HG/SS.
Thanks, Jam. And your sig...

FILIPINOOOOOOOOOO~! And do I see Galdrar there?! You're officially my new favorite person. :p

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Yes that is the Heron text from PoR/RD. I was screwing around in Paint and saw you sig, so I thought to myself: "Let's try making a sig, instead of a quote". Philippine flag came from the MW2 title and I had the heron text thing from somewhere I downloaded when I was bored so I put my name here on it. Used blue/light blue cause it's my favorite Ike color.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Interesting sig, I couldn't tell it was heron text... -fails at being a FE fan- D: But it also stretches the page, so you might want to shrink it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nys should infract us all.

And hey, I don't have a dirty mind, I was just reading that sig last night, and that's the first thing I saw LOL.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Lol, that could count as having a dirty mind...

OKAY BACK ON TOPIC. It looks like for new stuff all we need to do is finish part Part -I. Other then that it's just editing? I've gotten a bit busier recently, so I don't think I can help with anything right now :/

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I wish to help but idk what i could cover thats already been done. >_>

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
@Cristina: GAH! That's what happens when I rush to get ready to watch Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I needed to get ready, eat lunch, and meet my friend in like 15 minutes.

@Mr. Doom: I think they actually have that under jab options or something.

BTW, it was pretty nice movie. Liked all the video game stuff they had.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
We should add the information about secondaries to the guide.
/shamelessly taken from Q&A thread

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
...that movie looked dumb lol

Top Bottom