• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doesn't work if you've already started to charge up-smash. Usually Fox waits to see what you're gonna do. But yes, if you can get the hard read, that's free 20 damage.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Just because aether isn't a good dragon punch doesn't change that it is a dragon punch.
This ***** brought up a Street Fighter term in Smash.
Makes sense though, I never really thought about doing that to Fox for some reason.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
there are other characters whose up-b doesnt sweetspot, not fast anyway.
wario
kirby (like us, has to come down first)
dedede
sonic
and sometimes ganon (badly programmed)

and then of course squirtle. who doesnt take as much damage and knockback from fire type attacks anyway

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sonic has invincibility frames at some part of his recovery if I remember correctly. Wario is more often then not using their bike, DDD has a lot of jumps and if he does Up+b, then you should have a better attack ready, Kirby....eh. Ganon just sucks lol.

Squirtle is really easy to eruption. Just ask Zigsta, since I play him all the time. You can easily charge eruption long enough before he uses his recover, and he will die.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
fair enough, but kirby is still a valid eruption target if forced to up-b.

as with sonic, we're better off grabbing his spring jump anyway, he cant recover if you grab and just let go

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Kirby's up B is just like ours but slightly faster and harder to gimp going for a Dair spike when your above him if you can make a good read.

For some reason ganon is just a little difficult for me to gimp i must be doing it wrong :ohwell:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Squirtle is really easy to eruption. Just ask Zigsta, since I play him all the time. You can easily charge eruption long enough before he uses his recover, and he will die.
Yeah, Squirtle is really, really easy to hit with Eruption if he's underneath Ike. I try to keep a Water Gun charged against Bored just for this, actually.

It's true that Squirtle takes 10% less knockback from Eruption, but this move will pretty much stay fresh, and it'll kill Squirtle upwards of 100ish%, stage dependent, of course.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Never knew that about squirtle. So many characters I need to know more about.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
about kirby, when he uses upB, i usually wait for it near the ledge and punish it with a timed dtilt. it not that hard really and completely nullifies any chance for kirby to return.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, Squirtle is really, really easy to hit with Eruption if he's underneath Ike. I try to keep a Water Gun charged against Bored just for this, actually.

It's true that Squirtle takes 10% less knockback from Eruption, but this move will pretty much stay fresh, and it'll kill Squirtle upwards of 100ish%, stage dependent, of course.
Doesn't even need Squirtle to be at 100% or more. Charge eruption long enough and you can get the kill at 70%

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Doesn't even need Squirtle to be at 100% or more. Charge eruption long enough and you can get the kill at 70%
Really? I don't recall getting KO'd that low.

You'll just have to try and jog my memory sometime. :p

Heartstring

Smash Legend
fully charged eruption can kill bowser from the opposite side of CS at 40%, of course the guy didnt DI because i did that eruption the statue thing and never saw it coming, but its still **** powerful

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i know, but that one doesn't have the massive echo hit when you do it on a statue, that was all i was going for XD

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I might've glanced at it and forgot, or it might've been during those few months where I just wasn't on SWF. Does it work on Charizard?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not too sure. I've tried and had mixed results. I don't know if it's because Charizard can sweet spot or if I'm simply mistiming it.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It works on Charizard, but you have about a frame to hit him and you have to hard read... you can't react to it because it's too fast and eruption isn't fast enough. I'm not sure if Squirtle is vulnerable for longer, but it's definitely easier to hit him because of his slow and predictable upB.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
It works on a bunch of characters considering that the secondary hitbox of Eruption lasts long enough and hits far enough to affect those characters trying for the vertical ledge grab.

Problem is, most of those characters need to be hard read (Charizard, Marth, Meta Knight) so it's up to you. Thankfully if you screw up the opponent will suffer the ledge grab lag so you won't really take too much damage since they'll only have a handful of frames to hit you.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think eruption on ICs when they're on the ledge has a chance to be really good, since it hits one of the ICs while invincible and extends the hitbox to last longer, and ICs as far as I know, don't have many great options to get up from the ledge that'll bet eruption.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
If I ever play an ICs in tournament again, I'm going to try that out. But usually, if they see you charging your eruption, they try to recover as high as possible with their side-b.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ahh but side-b can only get so high...or so i think, i've heard they can get back fro the bottom corner of fd but i think thats jsut exaggeration. they might have to recover with up-b in which case you can fire away.

surely SAF mean you could hit icies out of the side-b anyway?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well you figure if they saw you charging eruption, they would opt for the up+b recovery? Sweet spot and no need to get hit by eruption?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've actually seen with my own eyes one ICs player recover from the right non-snapping ledge of Frigate to the other side, but the ICs had to use their second jump in order to recover. That side-b can go almost as high as Luigi's Down-B if he uses his second jump immediately before the down-b.

Bored, I suppose that they would opt for the up-b recovery. I haven't played an ICs player in so long, so I wouldn't know.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From my experience with playing Hylian, he would like to at the last second surprise buttsex you with the side + b recovery. Every once in a while, I'd get a good hard read and time the f-smash in perfectly. Honestly, if we could just get the time down for that, it would definitely scare ICs into simply side + B into us.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
to be honest, as far as i know they opt for side-b over up-b because it keeps the pair synchronised whereas theres this funky edgehog thing you can do to their up-b
i've only done it once but ive seen it done on youtube, where nana grabs the edge, and then their opponent just goes to grab the edge and nana goes all submissive and gives him the ledge, so she falls to her death in helpless animation. its quite cool

also they tend to dislike up-b because if you get in the way of nana is goes nowhere (bit like us with people interupting quick draw, only they use their's more)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've actually seen with my own eyes one ICs player recover from the right non-snapping ledge of Frigate to the other side, but the ICs had to use their second jump in order to recover. That side-b can go almost as high as Luigi's Down-B if he uses his second jump immediately before the down-b.

Bored, I suppose that they would opt for the up-b recovery. I haven't played an ICs player in so long, so I wouldn't know.
Haha that is SOOOO easy and you don't need to jump at all to get the increase on height.

IC's can go under FD and make it to the ledge on the other side using Side-B. It goes much much higher than luigis down-b.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Haha that is SOOOO easy and you don't need to jump at all to get the increase on height.

IC's can go under FD and make it to the ledge on the other side using Side-B. It goes much much higher than luigis down-b.
vids or it didnt happen

no really, can i have some proof because local icies believe that it has a set vertical gain of about the same height as mario's up-b

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
vids or it didnt happen

no really, can i have some proof because local icies believe that it has a set vertical gain of about the same height as mario's up-b
Don't have any videos of me going under FD I think but people I've played with have seen me do it, and I think bored has seen me do it as well. IC's can be in the bubble off the screen at the bottom and get back with side-b :laugh:.

Edit: Look at 6:19
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6AtcdkDIp6g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6AtcdkDIp6g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I knew the ICs could go under and around BF with Side B.

Hylian did that to me way back at that large San Antonio tournament several years ago when I was in the same pool. >_>

Top Bottom