• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Breakfast is the most important meal: that's when you need the longest lasting energy source, AKA protein the most.

Obviously, buy good quality bacon and not the crap level stuff, and cook it properly to get most of the fat out. That's common sense. And cereal does give you health risk. Any health risk associated with lots of sugar in fact. You were cherry picking for links that didn't show that.

Cereal is honestly really low on the "healthy things to eat for breakfast" list. Toast with peanut butter? Better. Bacon and eggs? Better as long as it's in moderation. Fish, like they eat in some European countries or Asia? Better. Fruit? Depends on bit on the fruit, mostly better. Muffins? Again, depends on the type.

And Bio didn't go through those studies. It explained how your body creates energy, and various things like that though, and we did touch slightly on food. It goes through carbs first for example, and the easiest. Then fats, then proteins, then your own tissue. Proteins are broken down the slowest. It's easy to work out things from there.

EDIT: And dang it, that takes too much effort. Somebody go bug Nys to move the posts. >_> <_<

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'd move like, the whole last page basically but it's not really worth it at this point. We'll just stay on-topic from here on out.

I'm still too busy to devote much time to this. I can probably write a few things up this weekend though.

:248:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll be writing stuff... papers for philosophy and 2 chapters/sections worth of hw problems for calc 2 and physics -.- I have a physics exam next thursday too. And then there is also studying for the ACS exam as well.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
All right, so I should be posting the classic & Pro controller how-to by tonight (pacific time).

In the meantime, I think we should get a really good Ike pic as the OP front. I'm thinking of putting his winning pose in which he says "You'll get no sympathy from me" would be accurate, except that we'll put the subtitles: "You'll 'How to' get no sympathy from me". This is just one opinion, I'm sure there r better ones.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ike and wario team? sounds interesting, seeing as wario is relatively second best in game when it comes to double (his grab release isnt such a weakness in doubles)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Watched the first three matches...

first match, holy crap that Snake and Pika must have teamed before, because I initially thought that would be a bad team. I still don't think it's a great team, but the stringed together lots of nice things. Oh and Nys, way to play up to the competition. That Wario had to do everything.

2nd match: haha get *****. Don't understand why they kept going in the water.

3rd: Nys dying at 32 percent...way to help your teammate out.

Obviously that Wario was too good. Snake player was pretty chill from based on his style.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, watching just the first three doesn't give the best impression, we pulled it together in the second set and managed to get more KOs playing off each other. Our set against these guys in WFs went much better for us, they CPd us to Halberd twice and we beat them each time.

But yah they'd been teaming at tourneys for much longer than Croi and me, and they usually always won.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nys was getting carried most of the matches. Slow kill moves such as fsmash were used way too often (in most cases upsmash is better unless you really want all that risk), and many fairly simple setups were screwed up consistently at critical moments. In fact, you missed almost every fsmash yet got punished almost every time, yet most of your kills was upsmash. You used ftilt quite a bit, too, but I'm not really sure if that was a sound strategy or not.

There were also many early deaths that you probably would learn to avoid later, since Ike should be the one able to tank stocks more (you were with Wario though, so it's a little understandable not focusing as much on stock tanking)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
With that being said, I'm not gonna sit here and watch 10 matches xP
Lol, fair enough.

@San, I thought I used Usmash way more often than Fsmash, although in general I definitely did use too many smashes, and I wanted to critique myself watching some of those matches again. I rolled and spot-dodged too much as well. In Set 2, Match 4, I lose two stocks in the first 43 seconds; we ended up winning the match though. It's like football in my mind, the players don't care about the stats at all, just the wins.

Thank you for the pointers though; this was only my second ever tournament doing doubles, so I've still got plenty of room to improve in the area.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the f-tilt was a bit excessive. Personally, I have a tough time turning around and jabbing (especially on wifi, cause it buffers to DA).

I'm sure you guys played Guile's theme song when you won it all.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i just need to get myself a regular team partner, although its kind of awkward, because theres only two other players that live near me, one mains ice climbers and none of his other characters are anywhere near as good, and the other one is my brother, who is eleven and sucks terribly >.<
but i hope to get my rolling with a better partner as im FAR better in doubles than in singles

also i should imagine the abundance of ftilt was probably due to messing up a turnaround jab, i tend to struggle a lot with that so cant really criticise there

Croi

Smash Lord
Name searchin' :bee:

I can't say much for Nysyarc's defense since I don't main Ike, but at the very least, the guy normally gets pretty much all the kills in our doubles matches. Nine times out of ten he gets five kills and the last one was an SD, lol.

It worked out for us in the end, though, and I'd gladly team up with my fellow ****ty-down-smash-er again.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i think ike is unsearched in doubles as a rule, from what i see he's much better off in doubles than singles as various annoyances that ruin him (such as chaingrabs, combo's, etc.) are dampened because there are 4 people rather than 2

Heartstring

Smash Legend
its easier to get gimped in doubles
its easier to interrupt the person donig the gimping on a team partner too
as ike, doubles would add extra rewards to spacing well, as if you do it correctly youll hit an opponent and not your partner, possible allowing him to hit the other guy again very quickly

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I will never use Ike when the other team has MK and sometimes Olimar.

I'll get gimped cause MK's teammate hit me off stage then MK just gimps me cause he was at the ledge i needed to be on.

If i want to be damage support, i use pikachu.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I will never use Ike when the other team has MK and sometimes Olimar.

I'll get gimped cause MK's teammate hit me off stage then MK just gimps me cause he was at the ledge i needed to be on.

If i want to be damage support, i use pikachu.
meh fair play, ican imagine ike is meant to be the one that does the killing, tbh, unless thats what you meant by damage support

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
to be honest, it was more that when MK is on the opponent's team, my partner needs to be able to deal with MK otherwise I'm gonna get gimped to easily which makes me better of not being aggresive and just building damage up which is better as Pikachu. So like Ike and Wario can work cause Wario can actually deal with MK (compartively), but Ike and [character MK wrecks] really doesn't work out cause Ike will also get wrecked by MK.

Its kinda the same reasoning with Olimar, its harder to actually keep Olimar in the air when his partner will save him.

Speaking of which, we need a doubles Ike section. Will like if anyone contributes as I update a double's Ike section on Friday night (done finals then)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Mr. Doom is probably the best Ike at doubles, but he's not here =(

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm kinda irked he left around the same time he made the BBR. It's irrational, but I feel betrayed for some reason.

I think we can make a doubles section based on what characters we frequently team with. For example, I've teamed with Poltergust plenty to know how Yoshi and Ike work.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
my doubles knowledge consist of: if MK is on the other team don't use Ike..

Otherwise I have old experience with Zelda.. But i use Pika more in doubles...

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've been informed that there is a section on using Ike in doubles. I'll try to be brief.

Overview
Ike's role in doubles can be either one of two things depending on the character he is teaming with: support or lead. Ike usually is the lead when he is teaming with lighter characters like Jigglypuff, MK, etc. He can be lead also when his teammate sets up camp very well, like Toon Link, Samus, etc. He becomes support when the opposite holds true. That is, the teammate is the aggressor. I'll cover both ends of the spectrum.

Lead
Ike's main objective when leading is to try to rack up as much damage as possible while attempting to stay alive as long as he can. When leading, the teammate is close behind so that the teammate can punish anyone who: 1) rolls in between him/her and Ike, 2) counterattacks Ike's slow attacks, or 3) is knocked his/her way. If that is not the case, then the teammate is using projectiles to annoy the opposing team. In any event, Ike should use b-throw and f-throw a lot more often so that he can throw his opponents into his supporting teammate for follow ups. Remember that b-throw will send people who are hit by his kick and not the throw itself will be sent in the opposite direction that the person is thrown. This sets up for a guaranteed jab and, in some cases, f-tilt or u-tilt. Also, keep in mind that Ike and his supporting teammate should work on the outside and try to push the opposing team to the middle of the stage. It is true that having control of the center of the playing field gives the team an advantage, but there's a greater advantage when sandwiching the opposing team to the middle. They will tend to do more things on a reactive basis when being sandwiched, so expect to see the opponent sidestep (aka spot-dodge) or dodge-roll. A lingering d-air will punish rolls and spot-dodges.

Support
When playing the supporting role, Ike is to punish his opposing team as hard as possible while holding his stocks as long as possible, for his lighter teammate will need them. If and when an opportunity arises to strike at the foe for counterattacking his teammate, Ike should use his tilts more often. F-air and B-air work wonders when spaced properly. Also, don't be afraid to f-smash your teammate if s/he is at a fresh stock (between 0-25% is safe) and if s/he is being grabbed by an opponent who is at medium to high damage percentage (60% and above). Ike can sometimes get an early kill if his opponent DI's the f-smash improperly. As I have previously stated, try to work from the outside in and sandwich the opposing team. Lingering d-airs will punish rolls and spot-dodges.

Team Objective
I can't say this any simpler, but if your team can get the 2-vs-1 on the opposing team, then the match is definitely in your favor. Just beware of rage-mode characters who do well in the 2v1. Don't always go for grabs, and don't try to force the kill. The opponent will eventually slip up.

Doing the 2-vs-1
If you find yourself against both opponents while your teammate is down and out, don't give up hope yet. Never, ever try to be in between both opponents, for that is the worst spot Ike can be in. Pick out the weaker of the two, i.e. the one with the higher percentage. It will be a long and grueling duel against both opponents, and winning may seem unfathomable, but it is still possible. You're probably going to spend about two to four minutes taking out one of the two opponents.

I hope you are satisfied with this. And with that, I'm out of here. If you happen to not be satisfied with my briefing, shoot me a PM if you wish to discuss more about it (or anything else, as long as it's not your personal story, because I'll just recommend you to a psychiatrist). Nys, where are you? We still need to finish the rest of the characters. I'll be waiting for you.

Bored, you need to move on. Don't worry about me, anymore. Worry about yourself.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well namesearching can work wonders i suppose...
anyway thanks doom ^.^
i havent had any evperience teamnig with a good player when i myself is doing any good, when i do ill let you know, but as far as i know ike teams relatively well with olimar

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Remember those LT teams vids of Razer and me? I have some 1v2 footage against Espy and KPrime that, IIRC, was pretty decent. Should we review those videos and perhaps include those?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Razer mains Jiggs right? Yeah sure. Though I think the most optimum tandem of that would be if San split himself into two.

Bored, you need to move on. Don't worry about me, anymore. Worry about yourself.
Sounds like a really cliche line from a bad movie. Oh, and I have no reason to worry about you. I said I was irked...not worried.

Takous

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, i'm new to these forms but I've played Smash Bros. casually since it came out and I wanted to get more competitive. I've read this guide and I've learned a lot, but I've got a question on jab canceling. It's just confusing to me about how it works

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Er well...the most common way to do it is...assuming you're using a GC controller...

Jab by pressing A, crouch quickly, let go of analog so you return to normal stance, jab by pressing A, crouch quickly, repeat.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
I've been informed that there is a section on using Ike in doubles. I'll try to be brief.

Overview
Ike's role in doubles can be either one of two things depending on the character he is teaming with: support or lead. Ike usually is the lead when he is teaming with lighter characters like Jigglypuff, MK, etc. He can be lead also when his teammate sets up camp very well, like Toon Link, Samus, etc. He becomes support when the opposite holds true. That is, the teammate is the aggressor. I'll cover both ends of the spectrum.

Lead
Ike's main objective when leading is to try to rack up as much damage as possible while attempting to stay alive as long as he can. When leading, the teammate is close behind so that the teammate can punish anyone who: 1) rolls in between him/her and Ike, 2) counterattacks Ike's slow attacks, or 3) is knocked his/her way. If that is not the case, then the teammate is using projectiles to annoy the opposing team. In any event, Ike should use b-throw and f-throw a lot more often so that he can throw his opponents into his supporting teammate for follow ups. Remember that b-throw will send people who are hit by his kick and not the throw itself will be sent in the opposite direction that the person is thrown. This sets up for a guaranteed jab and, in some cases, f-tilt or u-tilt. Also, keep in mind that Ike and his supporting teammate should work on the outside and try to push the opposing team to the middle of the stage. It is true that having control of the center of the playing field gives the team an advantage, but there's a greater advantage when sandwiching the opposing team to the middle. They will tend to do more things on a reactive basis when being sandwiched, so expect to see the opponent sidestep (aka spot-dodge) or dodge-roll. A lingering d-air will punish rolls and spot-dodges.

Support
When playing the supporting role, Ike is to punish his opposing team as hard as possible while holding his stocks as long as possible, for his lighter teammate will need them. If and when an opportunity arises to strike at the foe for counterattacking his teammate, Ike should use his tilts more often. F-air and B-air work wonders when spaced properly. Also, don't be afraid to f-smash your teammate if s/he is at a fresh stock (between 0-25% is safe) and if s/he is being grabbed by an opponent who is at medium to high damage percentage (60% and above). Ike can sometimes get an early kill if his opponent DI's the f-smash improperly. As I have previously stated, try to work from the outside in and sandwich the opposing team. Lingering d-airs will punish rolls and spot-dodges.

Team Objective
I can't say this any simpler, but if your team can get the 2-vs-1 on the opposing team, then the match is definitely in your favor. Just beware of rage-mode characters who do well in the 2v1. Don't always go for grabs, and don't try to force the kill. The opponent will eventually slip up.

Doing the 2-vs-1
If you find yourself against both opponents while your teammate is down and out, don't give up hope yet. Never, ever try to be in between both opponents, for that is the worst spot Ike can be in. Pick out the weaker of the two, i.e. the one with the higher percentage. It will be a long and grueling duel against both opponents, and winning may seem unfathomable, but it is still possible. You're probably going to spend about two to four minutes taking out one of the two opponents.

I hope you are satisfied with this. And with that, I'm out of here. If you happen to not be satisfied with my briefing, shoot me a PM if you wish to discuss more about it (or anything else, as long as it's not your personal story, because I'll just recommend you to a psychiatrist). Nys, where are you? We still need to finish the rest of the characters. I'll be waiting for you.

i'll keep thsi in mind! might come in handy hehhehehe

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Due to his absence, I shall take his place in saying Mr. Doom get it right.

And while I'm at it:

*experience teaming

Though I had a good lol trying to pronounce it the way you spelled it.
:awesome:

god-damn, the idea of saying 'doom' was to get him to continue being here and correct me XD

also i woulda thought ive made enough damned post here for you guys to realise i make more typos than a guy with parkinsons XP

also, the idea of jab cancelling is to rack up the damage from ikes jab even faster seeing as its like...his best move, to do it, you do ikes first jab (the punch) and then tap down. you do this to cancel the jab combo, so therefore but crouchnig and getting up very fast you can then do the jab combo all over again, so basically it goes:
punch, crouch, punch, kick, sword attack
which does a total of 20% when fresh...which it never is XD
hope that helped ^.^

Heartstring

Smash Legend
When your fast enough, you don't see the crouch
oh yeah pretty much that too...
im really not the best person to ask for this kind of thing, i can tell people how to do msot things, but to do it myself? not a chance XD

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just added a new [Guide] tag to this thread, and it's inspired me to start working on it again. With any luck I'll actually keep that inspiration and get something done in the next little while.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm gonna do something about "dealing with ledge hangers" cause really cause over half the things mentioned are fail ideas ... probably tomorrow or Thursday

Top Bottom