• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Show No Sympathy: The Community Ike Guide

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I know. Like I said, bad habit lol. I'll break it eventually.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Rofl, WireTiger...like the flow of that.

The few times I've been forced to play on Wiimote alone, I can attest it's difficult to pull off several Ike specific moves. One being the common short hop n-air to jab. I don't know if it's lack of experience or what, but simply doing a short hop on that controller is too difficult. I don't see walk off d-airs being so hard, because it's just like someone who is using smash stick on a GC controller...just hold diagonally down before running off.

Using the D-pad to move around makes it seem more difficult to get freedom and precise movement. It's kinda like why fighter games prefer arcade sticks compared to the d-pad. For Ike, what comes to mind is the short hopping, how much distance you put into retreating b-airs, f-airs, and even controlling your aether.

I'm trying to figure out the layout of the control scheme. D-pad is to move, Z is to shield, 1 and 2 are attack and special move...is there a second button for jumping?

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Rofl, WireTiger...like the flow of that.

The few times I've been forced to play on Wiimote alone, I can attest it's difficult to pull off several Ike specific moves. One being the common short hop n-air to jab. I don't know if it's lack of experience or what, but simply doing a short hop on that controller is too difficult. I don't see walk off d-airs being so hard, because it's just like someone who is using smash stick on a GC controller...just hold diagonally down before running off.

Using the D-pad to move around makes it seem more difficult to get freedom and precise movement. It's kinda like why fighter games prefer arcade sticks compared to the d-pad. For Ike, what comes to mind is the short hopping, how much distance you put into retreating b-airs, f-airs, and even controlling your aether.

I'm trying to figure out the layout of the control scheme. D-pad is to move, Z is to shield, 1 and 2 are attack and special move...is there a second button for jumping?
I don't think there's another jump move. With the Wiimote and nunchuck, there are two options.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Keep in mind the Wiimote controls are mappable too, just like the GC controller. Not nearly as many options for switching things around though.

:248:

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
The GC controller is just overall the best controller out of them. Even if you never played Melee. Although, I knew a killer Samus who used the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Tournament level player.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Hey, Wiimote and Nunchuk are beastly in the hands of people who know how to us them, its just a matter of knowing your options; I used to play Wiimote&nunchuk too till last semester when I changed to classic pro just because I like gamepads more than remotes. There are a couple of guys here who still use wiimote+nunchuk though and they can easily SDI as well as do snake's sliding DACUS with it.

And why is Craysyn the last king of Hollywood :confused:? Is the apocalypse confirmed for 2012 or something?

GodlyOwnage

Smash Rookie
Doesn't hitting with Dair and launching the opponent upwards have a bit more KO potential when not in a spiking position?
to answer your question yes it does. At about the same percentage that you can kill with up-tilt you can kill with the upward hit of Dair. I find Dair to be a rather pitiful move and I most definantly would not spam it into the ground like an idiot. For every hit you get with Dair you could have used Nair and set up a combo. Maybe a rather short one but still.

Not I do you Dair out of a full hop if i see my opponent likes to roll at my approaches (which I use Nair for Sometimes Fair to be safer) when it hits the roll its pretty satifying, not effective but I like that extra oomph sound XD

I have gotten alot of kills that way, people tend to roll alot when they are low on hp, punish! Ike can't punish much so you should do what you can lol.

And if you want some really fun kills nair into Fsmash, you might get some interesting kills if used creativly (they opponent usually air dodges after Nair expecting your jabs, SURPRISE!)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Attack stick Dair above the stage may be decent to use once in a while if we find the height where it cancels.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
im fairly sure that dair and u-air autocancel at roughly DJ height from the top platform of BF, so do it as soon as you begin falling and it should autocancel
dont hold me to that though, thats just rough observation

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
dair, you can use it slightly above the top platform if you're falling at terminal velocity. It's not too useful, only so people can't really uair you or something that easily.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
you know, I'm thinking we should point out all those characters on whom we can jab 1 repeatedly for 2+ times and then those whom we can jab 1 for 2 times and finally on whom we can only do 1 time before they DI out.

From what I experienced, All large characters like DK, DDD, ROB, Bowser (w/ DI) will get jab 1 easily three times before getting the full combo. Characters relatively Ike-sized will get two jab 1s easily before DIing out, and finally small characters who can DI out of jab 1 if they predict it successfully.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think i should make a point where a point blank range jab MUST be jab canceled otherwise jab 2 will send them behind you.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's too SDI dependent. Some characters can get out significantly faster than had they not SDI'd. But Ike's jab is good, so we still have plenty of options even if they SDI. I like to mix jab 1 and jab 2 and combat walking in a way that takes their double jump or something like that away, basically a trap.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I would like to add something to recovery that I forgot. If someone hits you horizontally and they don't fall very fast, fast fall, and time upB in a way where the opponent cannot reach you before the super armor on upB comes out.

This also works when hanging on the ledge, and fast falling to aether through ledgedrop invincibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15hVHkboFE
For reference.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yep, fast falling + aether combo is hard to deal with if you don't fall fast enough.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
you mean what do to when faced with 2 opponents or what flashy things e can do when weve got a partner vs one guy?

also one thing that ive found useful for dash attack: it works great for helping a teammate out when hes getting combo's to hell or something like that, annoyed many a doubles team with constant 'interrupting ike attack'

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Regarding the videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAPAurOicA#t=3m50s
In case anyone here didn't know, the b-throw will knock the person who isn't being thrown behind Ike. You can pivot and jab most characters who have been knocked behind you. Some people don't usually expect the b-throw to pull them behind Ike, so f-tilt will work in some occasions.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah point made, im slow today, leave me alone >.<
but whenever im stuck in a 2v1, i tend to retreat to the ledge (probably not my best plan on action) on stages like battlefield where i can tack on extra damage because no-one expects ikes sword to go so far forward throug the stage
i also tend to spent time on the platforms unless im fighting someone like meta knight, because theyre less chance of them pulling off the annoying grab regrab shenanigans if im on a platform
cant really give much advice, i tend to die first because i partner always takes my stock when im at 200%...meh

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Eruptions hitboxes look like a snowman.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What do you want done to it?

Speaking if which, SHARKIE UPDATE DEM VIDEOS!! I even posted them collapse for you.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh yeah, this thread. Pretty sure that was our New Year's Resolution for 2011, so we're more than a year overdue on following through with it.

And yah I'll get the vids the up.

:248:

Prophet22

Smash Rookie
Those mr.doom clips felt so good to watch seeing him fail go Ussi for those clips for us to see even though they were on mr. Dooms channel

:phone:

Top Bottom