• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gea

Smash Master
Gea, I like playing all the stages too, but not when money is on the line, lol.
I don't think playing on only neutrals is the way to play the game, money or no. Unless the stages are auto-wins under the ruleset or break the game in some way I don't think they should be banned. Characters and players who can better utilize the stages (hazards or not) should be allowed to win.

I never advocated all stages being unbanned.

By the way, M2K wants (or did want, for a long time) Brinstar to be banned. His personal ruleset is probably different from your own, but his opinion is only just that.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
disregard those votes just caught up reading the thread

only stage that appeals is norfair

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The problem with stages that can be so heavily abused is that it puts the tournament players into a "win-first-round-or-you-lose" situation, which isn't exactly competitive or a fair test of skill, as one round essentially decides the set.

There are 10 stages with varying features already to counterpick on, that are much more fair than those left. I think if we want to keep arguing we should keep it to PMs though, to stop cluttering this XD

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I agree with PX. You know there's a problem when you get 3 stocked game 1, then go to a gay stage and 3 stock them game 2, then they take you to a neutral and 2 stock you...

Gea

Smash Master
I agree with PX. You know there's a problem when you get 3 stocked game 1, then go to a gay stage and 3 stock them game 2, then they take you to a neutral and 2 stock you...
A minority of players ever play on counterpicks at all.

Basically it comes down to the player not knowing the stage well enough or not taking the correct character to that stage. You have the choice to change characters you know.

The problem with stages that can be so heavily abused is that it puts the tournament players into a "win-first-round-or-you-lose" situation, which isn't exactly competitive or a fair test of skill, as one round essentially decides the set.
There are no scenarios like that if you play more than one character. Then it falls down into knowing the stage better. This is barring really stupid stages like Green Hill Zone... The whole "metaknight" trap thing falls into all stages regardless, so I consider it a moot point.

Smash has ALWAYS and will always give advantage to the player who wins the first match.

EDIT: Also why are we discussing this? It is already pretty obvious how we disagree.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Praxis, calm down, Green Greens will be legal for HOBO 16, lol.

I think Norfair is actually acceptable if you put the ledge rule in place, Xyro. There'll still be camping, but that's easier to deal with than invincibility whoring.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lol norfair for snake only. He can still be CP'd to stages where it can be bad for him.

Praxis I think that this will be the stage list for HOBO 17. HOBO 16 still has Green Greens.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
I like port town as a counter pick it isnt as gay as some people make it out to be. Just elimnates edge grabs which some people abuse.

Norfair should be banned.

Green greens isnt bad but still more on the ban side.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm glad you stopped that 3 stages poll because I really wouldn't want to add 3 of them heh :/.

I agree with everyone else about Norfair though. Norfair is too good :).

Also; CY!

Why are you telling me Clawing is useless? Since when is holding your controller useless? Please point out if I have ever said clawing is better, or that anyone needs to claw. It's just how I hold the controller, because I used it in melee being a Fox/Falco player.

I don't need a reason to claw, it's just how I play.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
FINAL STAGE LIST! This will start at hobo 17

Brinstar=23
Delfino=24
Frigate Orpheon=23
Jungle Japes=18
Pictochat=20
Pokémon Stadium 2=14
Rainbow Cruise=23
Castle Siege=18
Halberd=23
Lylat Cruise=21
Norfair=cause xyro/hylian want it

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Omg Norfair. Please no. That's like saying we have to choose 3 gay stages to put back in, but we dont, and you just pick 1 anyway because two people agree.

Norfair shouldnt be legal. It's a lot more gay than any of the others. It promotes gay planking. Just look what happened to Razer at the College Station tourney, or what happened to Thein at Whobo.

Norfair causes problems. It forces people to change characters when they shouldn't. The only other stage on the list that does this is Brinstar, but honestly Brinstar has more going for it than it doesnt.

Please re-consider if this is a permanent list from now on.

Xyro77

Razer, check out that MK ban thread, they are talking about snake and your name came up.
i brought him up

Omg Norfair. Please no. That's like saying we have to choose 3 gay stages to put back in, but we dont, and you just pick 1 anyway because two people agree.

Norfair shouldnt be legal. It's a lot more gay than any of the others. It promotes gay planking. Just look what happened to Razer at the College Station tourney, or what happened to Thein at Whobo.

Norfair causes problems. It forces people to change characters when they shouldn't. The only other stage on the list that does this is Brinstar, but honestly Brinstar has more going for it than it doesnt.

Please re-consider if this is a permanent list from now on.
the ledge grab rule is set at 55. shouldnt this take care of it?

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
No more LM, or Corneria?

But you have Lylat as a CP?

I'm at a total lose here...you kinda took away Zelda's top CP level. :(
Ohwell, I guess there's always Brinstar.

heytallman

CTALL
the ledge grab rule is set at 55. shouldnt this take care of it?
Allan, is your grab rule thing still set for Meta Knight only? Or did you set it for all characters? Because Norfair can be gay for other characters other than MK. Personally, with a ledge rule set for all, I think Norfair should be legal.

Gea

Smash Master
There is nothing wrong with Lylat unless you are a space animal or Zelda, lol. Even then you could easily argue that Yoshi's also messes with recovery.

It is FAR more neutral than Weegee's or Corneria, and I like all three stages.

Xyro77

the ledge grab rules is for meta only because his is the ONLY ONE that cant beat beat(if done right)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
the ledge grab rules is for meta only because his is the ONLY ONE that cant beat beat(if done right)
You aren't serious... Have you never seen G&W on norfair? It's so gay, ask Razer.

And Jiggs, she's WORSE. I lost to Thinkaman's jiggs at no koast on norfair. He was playing super gay =(

Xyro77

You aren't serious... Have you never seen G&W on norfair? It's so gay, ask Razer.

And Jiggs, she's WORSE. I lost to Thinkaman's jiggs at no koast on norfair. He was playing super gay =(
GW can be stopped. if not ill add gw to the list. lol easy

and jiggs? ..................................come on man

heytallman

CTALL
GW can be stopped. if not ill add gw to the list. lol easy
You know what else is easy? Just adding everyone to the list. It's gay, we know, but if you go on and add G&W, people will start complaining about other stuff. They will expect you to add whatever character to the list because of adding G&W.

Just apply the rule to everyone. lol easy

Xyro77

You know what else is easy? Just adding everyone to the list. It's gay, we know, but if you go on and add G&W, people will start complaining about other stuff. They will expect you to add whatever character to the list because of adding G&W.

Just apply the rule to everyone. lol easy

There are different types. Som are MEGA good like meta/gw. then you have some decent ones like marth/pit/falco. then you have horrible oned like samus/yoshi/mario

Magitek_Knight

Smash Apprentice
Well I don't know, it just seems like all the stages left are super questionable. He even put Corneria up for re-vote, despite being just banned by the SBR, and I don't exactly understand the reasoning.

I could see Pirate Ship or Norfair getting back on b/c it helps a lot of the lower tiered characters (Pirate Ship for Ness and Ike, Norfair for Ganon/Jiggs/Bowser), but Norfair will also come with mega planking.
i could not agree more. i don't understand the logic of taking those away. and the ledge rule takes care of the planking for the most part, besides this is by far one of the best CP's against Diddy, from what i a have experience. All these "gay" stages can be very helpful to lower tier characters, the truth is, its "gay" that they are getting taken away from us

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
*is bored*

*skims recent posts*

chris t is better
chris is better.
Im better than both of them.

Discuss.
*...*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeYDIEh9dpk

Yall better not hope I see u in brackets at HOBO 16. I'll be in godzilla mode...and it won't be pretty.

Don't think yall will get off easy in teams, either...just check out some legit footage of me and my friend owning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr26p3hIgm4

Oh, and...Chris T.......are you going to HOBO 16? :)

Edit: But srsly, my friend is friggin GOOD. Check out his past HOBO results (he hasn't gone to one in a while, but whenever he does...)

HOBO 2 (U of H Trash day)
4/12/08
17.LoneWolf (wolf)

HOBO 3 (U of H Brawl Bash)
4/26/08
7: Lonewolf (wolf)

HOBO 10 (planet zero brawl)
9/6/08
17: Axe (wolf)

HOBO 11 (planet zero brawl)
10/4/08
13: Axe (wolf)

He also came with me to a PnT about a month ago, and got 3rd, I believe.
I dunno why he doesn't get on smashboards or AiB more often, he's a pretty busy guy, I guess. But still. He abuses.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I'll be honest here: I don't understand the logic behind putting a restriction on one single character so you can allow an already extremely time-consuming and game-interfering map to the list. Isn't there a better option?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
yes and i win. im samus. i can camp better.

and the rules you want are STILL on for hobo 16. relax
$1 Green Greens Only MM. Friday night.
:laugh:

I have an entire set of ATs developed around that stage.

That and Japes. Sucks that everyone only has one stage ban for me xD

I <3 counterpicks.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Brinstar=23
Delfino=24
Frigate Orpheon=23
Jungle Japes=18
Pictochat=20
Pokémon Stadium 2=14
Rainbow Cruise=23
Castle Siege=18
Halberd=23
Lylat Cruise=21
Norfair=cause xyro/hylian want it
i am 100% happy with this stage list except norfair cause you put it on for a really dumb reason and if it didnt get the votes then it shouldnt be put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom