• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Gross, no, there doesn't need to be more Dedede friendly stages. Doubles would be fine though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The SBR should make a separate list of doubles stages. Some of the stages could have a chance in doubles, since there's less chance of ******** stuff happening compared to singles.

Gea

Smash Master
More like all of them. The problem I have with the current SBR list is that they don't explain why stages are banned or what criteria is used minus a short discussion and vote that we are unable to see. As it was, each Melee stage that was banned entailed some sort of explanation somewhere along the way...

And unless you ask for a personal opinion from someone, explanations here do not seem to be found. With Houston's CG limits and other imposing ruleset, some of these bans should not effect us. Regional stage lists existed in Melee to great success (stages like MKII were unbanned in parts).

I am pro-Onett just because there is no real reason for the stage to be banned under Houston ruleset except maybe it being very rigged for a camping Snake.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Warioware on doubles would be hi-larious.

Gnes

Smash Master
gnes, no one cares about your ddd. you will still FAIL to get 1st. you use too many characters and its holding you back.

please answer the question. do you want onett on CP?
Im for onett. Diddy wall combos are amazing.

True...ur right...what was i thinking...I THINK ILL MAIN META AGAIN SO I CAN MAKE FIRST...or ill stick to my lovely monkey/penguin. :3

And im using DDD for diddys trouble matchups and also for a change in pace...cuz brawl is booorrrriiinnnngggg.

edit:Gea...if your fox ever did what jman does here...id cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21atm7TOPVY&feature=related

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Onett would lead to a lot of wall combos/locks and abusing of such, the car hazards are pretty damaging if you get hit by them or into them. Excessive camping next to the houses facing the walk-offs which can be CGed into.

It would be amazing to see what DMG could do with this stage.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
DIARRHEA

on topic im not down with onett :/

but i don't mind, sense most people won't pick it anyways

Gea

Smash Master
But Onett's wall combos aren't broken with infinites being limited. Like I said, the biggest issue here would be campy snakes and possibly DDD camping the blastzone for grabs. Mainly Snake though.

lol Keith you really think my Fox is any good? He's fun though.

WarioWare is an awesome frozen stage.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dude, the stage is so small it doesn't even matter. You do your five grabs, uptilt or dtilt, walk away, and then get another five grabs no problem, and just rinse and repeat -_-

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ok these are results for the voting that has gone one for a almost a week now.

Brinstar=23
Delfino=24
Frigate Orpheon=23
Jungle Japes=18
Pictochat=20
Pokémon Stadium 2=14
Rainbow Cruise=23
Castle Siege=18
Halberd=23
Lylat Cruise=21

The green stages will be the new rule set. The new rule set will start at hobo 17 and last forever. I now want all of you to vote on 3 more stages that you want added ot the list. please. i need every ones vote.

Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair
Onett
Pirate Ship
Corneria

Gea

Smash Master
That could be said about something like Smashville. The stage would be a CP for a reason. If you don't like getting CG'd by DDD go someone who doesn't get CGed or ban the stage if you think they would go there. DDD can't exactly play his spacing out as well there besides his grab game. I would not want to play a PIka there as a DDD.

The biggest issue and influence on the legality of the stage should be the walk offs and if the cars prevent the walk offs from being abused.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
WarioWare is an awesome frozen stage.
Wario Ware froze is total CP material because of how close the blast zones are imo. You normally can die around 150 average on normal stages, but in WW Frozen, drag that down like 30-20%.

Its even worse in B+, which is def why its a B+ CP only stage.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Actually, D3 would be fine there against Pikachu assuming they actually fight. They both are limited to 5 grabs at a time, and using the four walls, D3 CAN CG pikachu. Pikachu likes to space, moreso than D3, who likes it when people are within his grab range. Close quarters will also make it easier for d3 to get those invincible uptilt kills... although I guess the pikachu could just go from end to end of hte stage shooting thunderjolts and **** for 8 minutes, and d3 will be hard pressed to do anything about it with all the obtacles.

I don't even understand what the reasoning is for allowing this stage. You guys talk about hating how campy things are, and you're going to allow one of the campiest stages in the game? Very few characters can punish another that gets a lead and just hides right next to the houses or runs around... it's just going to be awesome 8 minute matches delaying the tournament all over the place.

Also, this is TX, if the stage is legal it will be counterpicked. WarioWare for life.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Green Greens, Port Town Aero Drive, and Norfair for the stages I guess -_-

I don't know why you're wanting to add some of the more gay stages back into the stage list, but whatever; I would personally go with slik and say none.

Gea

Smash Master
Actually, D3 would be fine there against Pikachu assuming they actually fight. They both are limited to 5 grabs at a time, and using the four walls, D3 CAN CG pikachu. Pikachu likes to space, moreso than D3, who likes it when people are within his grab range. Close quarters will also make it easier for d3 to get those invincible uptilt kills... although I guess the pikachu could just go from end to end of hte stage shooting thunderjolts and **** for 8 minutes, and d3 will be hard pressed to do anything about it with all the obtacles.

I don't even understand what the reasoning is for allowing this stage. You guys talk about hating how campy things are, and you're going to allow one of the campiest stages in the game? Very few characters can punish another that gets a lead and just hides right next to the houses or runs around... it's just going to be awesome 8 minute matches delaying the tournament all over the place.

Also, this is TX, if the stage is legal it will be counterpicked. WarioWare for life.
lol, I don't speak for Houston, silly. I'm very much against banning things unless it is broken. Pika can literally just camp out DDD there and doesn't need to get close enough to get grabbed until he wants to. Thus the matchup is in Pika's favor there and you agree.

Stupid? Probably, but so is Brawl's mechanics. If a DDD wants to find a stage to CG you, he will. That's not ANY reason for the stage to be disallowed. DDD does not get a free win and I would bet you that he would be the one picking the stage, not the pika. So he can chase the pika all over and get ***** or let it happen slow and then learn his lesson. Pika is a viable choice in showing how this stage isn't broken with a DDD there for the walls.

Like I said, I really think the only aspect of the stage that specifically gets consideration are the walk-offs and camping them.

Didn't all those stages get voted off when everyone voted for the other 10 stages instead of them? :\
Why do we ONLY need 10 stages when there's no reason some other stages should be banned? Shouldn't it be a case by case basis of the stage and their quality?

Xyro77

Didn't all those stages get voted off when everyone voted for the other 10 stages instead of them? :\
they were. But im getting so many complaints about how short the list is. so i added a chance to get 3 more stages added on to the list.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Well I don't know, it just seems like all the stages left are super questionable. He even put Corneria up for re-vote, despite being just banned by the SBR, and I don't exactly understand the reasoning.

I could see Pirate Ship or Norfair getting back on b/c it helps a lot of the lower tiered characters (Pirate Ship for Ness and Ike, Norfair for Ganon/Jiggs/Bowser), but Norfair will also come with mega planking.

Gea

Smash Master
Well I don't know, it just seems like all the stages left are super questionable. He even put Corneria up for re-vote, despite being just banned by the SBR, and I don't exactly understand the reasoning.

I could see Pirate Ship or Norfair getting back on b/c it helps a lot of the lower tiered characters (Pirate Ship for Ness and Ike, Norfair for Ganon/Jiggs/Bowser), but Norfair will also come with mega planking.
Planking can be done without edges. Not quite as effectively but running away for entire matches has been seen off the edge. Besides that, there supposedly will be a ledge grab rule. Planking isn't Norfair only, and I don't feel that's a reason to ban it.

Smashville gets MEGA planking as well but it remains neutral. I know Norfair has 6 edges but still, planking occurs just as much on other stages and should not disqualify a stage when the tactic is present everywhere.

By the way, why was corneria banned anyways? The fin edge?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Corneria was banned b/c it's free buckets for GW, the fin edge can be perma invince for MK and Marth and GW, tilt/grab infinites, super close edges and ceiling. I think that's it, though that's plenty.

Planking usually involves abusing invincibility frames. You can't do that on Smashville, not to mention many characters can get around it htere w/ projectiles/explosives. Norfair if you do it right you can have almost permanent invincibility, not to mention, once again, tremendous camping.

Gea

Smash Master
Corneria was banned b/c it's free buckets for GW, the fin edge can be perma invince for MK and Marth and GW, tilt/grab infinites, super close edges and ceiling. I think that's it, though that's plenty.

Planking usually involves abusing invincibility frames. You can't do that on Smashville, not to mention many characters can get around it htere w/ projectiles/explosives. Norfair if you do it right you can have almost permanent invincibility, not to mention, once again, tremendous camping.
Planking/running away/stalling still occurs on Smashville, despite it not being as effective. Taking away Norfair does not take away planking and while it is greatly enhanced, Houston has an edge limit. Saying that the stage lends itself to camping is kind of moot. Camping is perfectly legal.

Kind of funny about Corneria and the buckets for GW. I can see the edge stalling on the fin, the locks are limited/banned in Houston or can be SDI'd out of, and the blast zones are what make it a good CP for some characters.

Obviously we disagree on criteria, but thanks for explaining the general feelings on the stage. Though I did see another member of the SBR even say their whole reasoning was the fin and lasers, not the blastzones.

Like I said, if it were up to me Rumble Falls would be legal, but I think that discussion is for another time/place/area.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
WAIT, HALF THE REASON I'M COMING TO TEXAS IS BECAUSE XYRO TOLD ME THAT GREEN GREENS IS LEGAL DOWN THERE >-(

Green Greens is the best stage in this game. Ban it, and I'll kill you all.

Or at least whine until you kill yourselves to stop the suffering.

Green Greens Onry MMs?

CY

Smash Ace
don't add three more stages. seriously, the stages left are all ****ing gay and should be banned.

i won't vote because personally, i think all of the stages blow. just my personal opinion.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Ugg we have to add gay stages to the list. Because you asked, you'll get it:

Green Greens - Reason: This stage really should be banned. You die at 50% to my dsmash.
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) - Reason: This stage really should be banned. Infinite invincibility planking.
Corneria - Reason: This stage really should be banned. You die at 0% if you blink.

Suck on those counterpicks...

<3 Dojo.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Green Greens is still legal for 16, like all the old TX stages, we're discussing for the future HOBOs. Honestly though the stagelist looks so good before these additions. Whose going to need more than 10 stages to CP from? -_-

You've already got 4 regular trny goers complaining, I hope the other voice their opinion too.

Gea, I like playing all the stages too, but not when money is on the line, lol.

Xyro77

ok nvm mind. stop voting. i will leave them alone. the 10 stages selected are the ONLY ones legal.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I really am tired of Luigi's Mansion these days. Every match I've had on it in recent tournaments Timed out but one. I still don't see how Port Town is a good counterpick stage. It's a "Hey I have a bad recovery and now need to waste my counterpick on a stage that autodefeats me" to some characters. Example: Link. He has pretty much no choice but to ban that stage or take unnecessary amount of damage trying to recover from the road. Not to mention if he falls off while the platform is over nothing he's pretty much auto dead. Distant planet is a stage I grew a distaste for during the Midwest Championships when I saw Overswarm and other Meta Knight players using it as a pocket counterpick for Dair/Uair to Shuttle Loop 0-deaths. Pipes- LOL PIPES. Corneria- I actually like the stage despite it's ******ry, but the SBR banned it (while leaving arguably even gayer stages untouched?).

Green Greens
Norfair
Pirate Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom