• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Shök

Smash Champion
Just a small tip.

One problem that I used to have was the wrinkles that develop when you apply the clear coat.

I figured out that you need to apply the clear coat from a safe distance of the controller.

If you do it to close, the wrinkle will appear on your controller.

pMos

Smash Rookie
This is my photoshop'd plan for a controller I want to paint. White front with Green back, and the green decals on the front. How hard would this be? I am getting a white controller, so the shell is going to be white in the first place. How do I get the green decal on without spraypainting it all green, taping out the decal, and painting it white again?

Oracle

Smash Master
Well actually, you just need to print out paper in the shape of the green "vine" design or whatever, paint the whole thing green, and then put the paper on and paint the whole thing white.
And the buttons.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
This is my photoshop'd plan for a controller I want to paint. White front with Green back, and the green decals on the front. How hard would this be? I am getting a white controller, so the shell is going to be white in the first place. How do I get the green decal on without spraypainting it all green, taping out the decal, and painting it white again?
If you didn't want to do that, you would have to put tape where you wanted it white, and paint the empty spots green. It would probably be much more difficult, and you would need more tape. I think it would come out better if you did it the way you said, painting it green and taping out the decal.

pMos

Smash Rookie
Well I have a solution for the tape, I can tape out roughly the area surrounding the design, and then cover the rest of the controller in several layers of aluminum foil. This way, I keep the original white paint and nintendo logo, and still get the green design.

One more question... If I didnt paint the whole thing green and then white, should I clear coat only the decal or should I clear coat the entire controller?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Covering the controller with aluminum foil is a pretty good idea I think, as long as your using regular spray paint. I don't know if its a good idea with paints that actually bond with the plastic. You might want to put tape over the edges of where the foil ends, just in case paint gets through any openings. I don't see any harm in giving the white part clear coat. I would just clear coat the whole controller.
By the way, are you using painter's tape? It's better than using regular tape. Good luck with the paint job!

pMos

Smash Rookie
thanks for the tips. I did a test run on an old controller and things went well. I'm going to experiment with some kind of clear coat over a painted c-stick's rubber top, to prevent the paint from wearing off.

I'll post pics when I get the controller done.

By the way, keep this thread alive! It's awesome!

pMos

Smash Rookie
yeah I gave up, modge podge made the c stick feel weird, so I just went back to using a normal yellow stick.

BROWNxEYEDxBEAST

Smash Cadet
I think I'm painting my controller tomorrow along with some friends, I'll post some pictures if it turns out well. I have some cool ideas.

pMos

Smash Rookie
does anyone know if the Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastics works on controllers? The can says "no sanding, no primering, and it bonds to the plastic"

how well does this stuff really work?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Krylon Fusion paint for plastic does work on controllers. I'm pretty sure it works better than regular spray paint. It won't rub off since the paint bonds itself with the plastic, where spray paint adds another layer on top of the controller. If you're going to use it, you should do it in a well ventilated area. This link might help. They use the same kind of paint, except on a white Xbox 360 controller. It has some helpful points on using this paint.
I'm not sure if you should sand the controller to remove any paint initially on it, but if your going to use a white controller it shouldn't be necessary. Other than that it should work well if you do it properly.

pMos

Smash Rookie
thanks a bunch for that link, it was very helpful. Once i can get my hands on the right color of paint I'll finish up my controller.

pMos

Smash Rookie
got my white controller in today and will get paints tomorrow, ill have pics up sorta soon

Oracle

Smash Master
Dude now I want car paint and gloss for my controller

Here's two designs I made for n64 themed contollers

I'm thinking about changing the dpad to black

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Special E.D. - Those are really nice looking controllers!

1 w1nged @ngel, - Thats a very cool design. Maybe you should also change the colour of the L and R buttons. Also, around the joy stick, its a dark grey. You could be able to make the design have dark grey around the joy stick of the gamecube controller.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ATTENTION IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE C-STICK ON YOUR CONTROLLER

you can replace the c-stick with a CONTROL stick. it's simple and practical and looks much better if you have a color theme that doesn't involve a nasty yellow nub! plus it looks cool and unique!

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
so how exactly did you guys paint the ends of the controller (the little part where you plug in the controller)?

tutata

Smash Ace
What are other alternatives to clear gloss, i want the feeling of the original paint. When you buy nds housing shells or things like that, the finish that they use is satin finish. The satin finish feels just like the regular paint used. Post your knowledge for other types of finishers if you know some.

Desh

Smash Ace
To get the regular finish, you need something called vinyl dye. The dye seeps into the plastic as opposed to coloring it.

I finished my controller recently, and it turned out great. I would recommend the vinyl dye over spray paint any day.

If you want more info, visit this site: http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/202/1
wanna do me a controller if i see you at grmos tourny? i'd pay of course =p

5ive

Smash Champion
wanna do me a controller if i see you at grmos tourny? i'd pay of course =p
LOL, yeah. I did my friends controller, I'll show you his at the tourny. I charge 20 for a controller. It'll take me a week or so to finish it. If I do your controller, how will i get it to you?

Jun.

Smash Lord
painted mine all day today and used a bit different method

will post pictures and what products i used and procedure after everything is done =]

Oracle

Smash Master
**** wigi you are amazing. How much would I have to pay for you to do a controller for me and mail it down here to texas?

WIGI

Smash Champion
that purple 360 controller is wickkkkked. haha what kind of paint did u use?

that would be duplicolours silver ground coat, then the purple anodized, then i use krylon triple thick glaze for clear coat.

**** wigi you are amazing. How much would I have to pay for you to do a controller for me and mail it down here to texas?
uhm.

well. generealy its 20$+cost of paint.

so one solid colour would be roughly 30$, but then i dunno how payment and shipping would work. but youd have to ship me your controller, and pay for shipment back aswell. =S soo yeahhhhhhh. lol

Top Bottom