• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Ok Dp the controller loooks awesome.
Question though

To get the text on the controller did you use painters tape and like cut some of it out to make the letter?
I would think so but i'm very concerned that if I did that the painters tape would stick TOO well and wouldn't come off clean, leaving an ugly print behind. :(

if you didn't how did you do it?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Ok Dp the controller loooks awesome.
Question though

To get the text on the controller did you use painters tape and like cut some of it out to make the letter?
I would think so but i'm very concerned that if I did that the painters tape would stick TOO well and wouldn't come off clean, leaving an ugly print behind. :(

if you didn't how did you do it?
Painter Tape indeed.

My friend had alot of different painter tape designs to put on the controller...Making them dynamic, cubic, cursive, anything really. Lol...

The Painter tape is on there good, but it's not on there bad enough to leave an ugly print behind. Lol

I can feel it just a little bit...The "DP's" on the sides of my controller seems to give it extra grip. xD

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
http://www.e-lacrosse.com/stech9.html

do you think that powder or liquid dyes would work as well as it does on plastic lacrosse heads? I guess it could potentially be easier, I'm just questioning if this stuff is OK to use on gamecube controller plastic.
I think the controller shell is safe enough.

But doing the buttons & the control stick and such...Nah, I don't think soo. lol xD

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
well boys, i had to trash a controller today

WARNING: IF YOU SUCK AT SPRAYPAINT AND/OR REASSMBLING THINGS, DONT DO THIS

Artery_Clogger

Smash Apprentice
I just tried painting a controller and after about a day and a half of letting it dry, I wrapped the cord around the controller. I went play smash later that day and, much to my dismay, the cord left indentations near the top of the controller. I'm kinda pissed.

wazgood

Smash Ace
I am in the process of painting a shiny dark green controller (think of dark green cars cuz thats the kind of paint i have lol) with a smash logo faded in the middle. I am thinking about putting my gamertag on the sides like DP but i don't know how. Help?

PS: expect pics soon

madattack

Smash Rookie
The best way I have is to first spray paint your controller the color you want your smash logo and gamertag. Then put tape (masking?) over the parts which you want to stay that color, so you would be cutting out tape in the shape of the smash logo and your gamertag. Then, spray paint over your controller you want everything else to be (in your case, dark green), then remove the tape.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Get an Exacto Knife and print out some letter stencils from the internet. Cut out each letter you want with some scissors. Then Put the hstencil over some painters tape and cut out the stencil on the painters tape with the exacto knife. You can most likely find the knife at staples. Very inexpensive too.

madattack

Smash Rookie
yeah, you pretty much covered it better than I did.

I have also found a nice X-acto knife at a hobby store (mitchells), because apparently they are widely used in woodcarving.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
Some questions:
How far away should I hold the can of paint?
How can I get paint on hard to reach areas without making my layers too think or uneven?

Sliq

Smash Master
I just tried painting a controller and after about a day and a half of letting it dry, I wrapped the cord around the controller. I went play smash later that day and, much to my dismay, the cord left indentations near the top of the controller. I'm kinda pissed.
You *******, I couldv'e painted it for you if you had asked.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I tested the entire process a couple times on a wireless controller that I don't use. There's no way I would go through with it on my good controller. I might consider dying it though.

BentoBox

Smash Master

I have 4-5 old controllers laying around so I thought I'd revamp them or something =p. This being my first test. It didn't come out the way I wished it did. You can't clearly see it but there are spots of a darker red over a lighter shade on the right side, and that was intended, but I had hoped that the difference would've been a tad more noticeable~ I want to create some a gradient looking a bit like this:
~ Guess I'll have to go buy a can of a lighter shade of red =o.

Also, I tried to paint the A and Z buttons in pink, but the pink spray can wasn't of the same brand than the paint I used for the controller and the former doesn't stick as well on the plastic (you can see through it~) But I might just follow Sliq's advice not bother painting it... I would've liked to have a pink C-stick though... =[ I also wanted to add some hearts using painter's tape, using that same pink spraycan but seeing as it doesn't stick on plastic, I'll keep that idea for my next attempt.

Oh, I main peach if it wasn't obvious lol.

WIGI

Smash Champion
im planning to paint a new ocntroller soon, my old one is pretty much retired.

anyone know how well the duplicolour chrome spray works on plastic? i waqnt to do green chrome with the Luigi emblam on the front.

King~

Smash Champion
is taking apart a wavebird the same as taking apart a regular controller

cause i wanna practice on my wavebird first before i do my new controller

WIGI

Smash Champion

real quality \/\/\/

acual colour \/\/\/

did this all in one night cost em almsot 20 dollers. cutting the l along took me several hours.
its due for a light touch up coat in abotu a week, otehr than that its good to go for tomorow. it feels smooth aside from a couple spots with not enough green coat so the base coat is still touchable (this is what the touch up coat will cover and and more gloss and protection)

=]

as for me doing peoples controllers, first you will obviosly have to feel it make sure you like it, not sure how much id charge or how complicated id go.. id have to decide. i prolly wont cut out windows tho i want that for me onlys =]

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Well I bought some Krylon Fusion plastic paint. I only bought one can to see how well it would work (bought white). With this paint, I did not do any sanding, any primer coats, or any clear coats. This is the result:

It's only been about 12 hours since I painted it and it still feels slightly stickyish to touch, but no fingerprints or any hand marks are showing up on the surfaces. Overall I like the paint, though I haven't tried any other kinds. I'm gonna buy some more colors and such and do my real controller.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Don't be disappointed, but the paint's probably going to come off the tip of the c-stick if you so much as look at it the wrong way. I don't even really use the c-stick when I play (omg n00b) and I still could not keep it from wearing off each and every time i tried to paint it. I finally solved the problem by painting the stick with the tip torn off.

WIGI

Smash Champion
duplicolour= win.

you spray it on, wait 15 minutes, do anotehr coat, repaet, 30 min dry inbetween colours. ready to use in a day, built in clear coat smooth, glossy, can be metalic, and durable.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Don't be disappointed, but the paint's probably going to come off the tip of the c-stick if you so much as look at it the wrong way. I don't even really use the c-stick when I play (omg n00b) and I still could not keep it from wearing off each and every time i tried to paint it. I finally solved the problem by painting the stick with the tip torn off.
Yeah I'm not surprised to hear this seeing as the c-stick/control stick appear to be made of rubber and not plastic. It's alright, I can deal with a non-painted c-stick.

BentoBox

Smash Master

This took forever lol... Anyways, I nailed the gradient effect I was going for~ The painter's tape didn't work that great as when I peeled it off, some paint came off along with it, so I used a knife to scratch the paint off and went for some kind of shading effect to make it seem like it was all intended ;]

Also c-stick > regular joystick.

Oh and Krylon fusion paint really does work a lot better than regular spray paint.

5ive

Smash Champion
Is there anyway of stenciling the Nintendo Gamecube Logo so we can repaint it on after sanding.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
i wish i could try this but i'll screw up and i only have one gc controller...

but i do have some 200th issue np stickers on my ds...

retro link :D

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
mind me asking how you painted the stripes ?=o
I painted the controller black first. Waited about a day. Then I took painters tape, cut it into long thin strips, taped them on the controller when it was together, wrapping them around. Then I took an exacto knife and cut the strips of tape at the place where the controller splits. Then I just painted over the whole controller with yellow.

Note: Make sure you stick the tape on well. If you dont the paint will go underneath it and it won't look good.

Top Bottom