• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
yes, the nintendo uses the same triwing screws for all its consoles. If not, I'll be very surprised

auroreon

Smash Ace
Does anyone know what the best type of paint to use is?
I remember somebody mentioning there was a certain type of paint that does the job better than others earlier in the thread but I can't find where.

Oh, and thanks for the awesome LED guide Yeroc.

Sliq

Smash Master
Does anyone know what the best type of paint to use is?
I remember somebody mentioning there was a certain type of paint that does the job better than others earlier in the thread but I can't find where.

Oh, and thanks for the awesome LED guide Yeroc.
Use automotive paint, preferably automotive engine enamel. That **** will stick to a an engine covered in oil and ****, and stands up to a lot of abuse and temperature.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
I like your controller, Sliq. Solid Navy Blue...pretty nice.

I'm working on yet another color controller coming up. Silver - Blue sounds good...

Popertop

Smash Champion
Man, I'm so psyched about painting my controller after this.
I was gonna try and find a skin or something but this is way moar epic.
Lawl I might try and paint a tuxedo on the front LAWL.
Black and white with some red maybe.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Look at the directions on your paint cans. Mine said 24 hours, but it turned out on one of the jobs I did that wasn't quite enough because the controller was then subjected to a long drive in a moderately warm car and the paint got dented around some edges. So do at least a day but then as much as you think you need.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I have 2 one silver and black, and both have a bom-omb on the right grip. The silver one is done in black, and the black in silver... don't mean to toot my own horn put toot toot.

They're pretty baller.

tutata

Smash Ace
After adding the clear coat my controller's paint started to get wrinkly, was is because the wind was blowing? 1st i added primer, let that sit, then paint, let the sit for a day, then added some camo blobs "going for a snake theme" and then i added the primer. The wind was blowing alot and my paint for wrinkly, maybe i added to much primer, i think it was the wind, ok now i need some help trying to fix the paint.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Let it dry more where it can settle and see if that helps smooth things out. If not, sand it off and start again. Try not putting so much paint on at once though. Give each coat a little more time in between to dry. And yes, stay away from high moving air currents. They not only pull on the paint but they can carry other particles you don't want to get onto your fresh coats and muck things up.

tutata

Smash Ace
Let it dry more where it can settle and see if that helps smooth things out. If not, sand it off and start again. Try not putting so much paint on at once though. Give each coat a little more time in between to dry. And yes, stay away from high moving air currents. They not only pull on the paint but they can carry other particles you don't want to get onto your fresh coats and muck things up.
Ok thank you alot for the advice, the controller already looks uber cool " top tier" I might just leave it the way it is. OK so if i sand it off i have to start again? The controller is basically crimson with black black camo spots.

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
What is the best way to get a more flat look? I'm trying to avoid making it shiny. Here's my plan:

Get one of those white Gamecube controllers, and paint part of the top navyish 000066 Blue (the arms) and paint over the logo part white (replace with another logo later). I want this whole thing to look as seemless as possible, matching the official paint of the bottom piece.

Shök

Smash Champion
I have a question.

What is the procedure for painting your controller again.

Lets say you have your controller painted already.

It's been a while and your controller is peeling and fading, ect.

So you want to paint your controller again.

What do you have to do.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
You should be able to just paint over it again. Do some light sanding on all the rough spots, and just do another coat or two, then cover it in clear again. I'm going to try and do some spot touch ups to mine, and thicken the clear coat all over, it's just going to be tricky with LEDs superglued into the top shell now, cause i don't want to cover them in paint.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I have a question.

What is the procedure for painting your controller again.

Lets say you have your controller painted already.

It's been a while and your controller is peeling and fading, ect.

So you want to paint your controller again.

What do you have to do.
Just it paint it again like this guy said ^

On a side note, I found something pretty cool. If you sand it a bit more than usual it'll make your controller much more lighter and very easy to carry (lol, just like a fighter feels with new and lighter clothes, same feeling I guess)

Shök

Smash Champion
You should be able to just paint over it again. Do some light sanding on all the rough spots, and just do another coat or two, then cover it in clear again. I'm going to try and do some spot touch ups to mine, and thicken the clear coat all over, it's just going to be tricky with LEDs superglued into the top shell now, cause i don't want to cover them in paint.
Okay, thanks.

And also, how do you remove the C-stick from the controller.

On the first page, the controller had no C-stick, but just a regular control stick.

Shök

Smash Champion
Well I have tried it before, but the C-stick wouldnt come out.

I though it would break.

So you just pull it until it comes off?

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
Well I have tried it before, but the C-stick wouldnt come out.

I though it would break.

So you just pull it until it comes off?
Yeah, pull it upwards. It slides off a sort of stem like thing. If you pull it straight up, there should be no risk using a little bit of force, it's on there pretty securely. But once it comes off, it simply slides off.

Shök

Smash Champion
Yeah, pull it upwards. It slides off a sort of stem like thing. If you pull it straight up, there should be no risk using a little bit of force, it's on there pretty securely. But once it comes off, it simply slides off.
Yeah is really easy to do, just don't be afraid and do it.
Okay, well I did it and it worked.

Okay all I need now is the screwdriver and the paint.

Shök

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post.

Okay so I will be doing my controller soon.

I need to know how long do I wait in between each step.

How long do I have to leave the primer?

How long do I leave the paint?

Its not my first time doing this, but I just want to make sure.

Last time I did it, some things went wrong.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
I completely forgot this thread still existed. Hooray for all the new posts!

Shok, just have serious patience and you'll be sure to get it right this time around. That's basically the most important thing. Don't use your controller for at least a week after your done... I screwed up a job well done...

Shök

Smash Champion
Okay.

I will just take one or more on each part of the controller.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
This thread will stay alive as long as I'm around! lol

Like I said...Silver - Blue DOES look nice. With a little help from my friend, I managed to even get my name on both sides & the front part of my controller. I love getting controllers done. I'll paint more soon...

-DP (GA Mario)

L__

Smash Master
Hmm, I think it would be better sprayed all the way blue. Just IMO; if you like it, keep it. ^_^V

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Hmm, I think it would be better sprayed all the way blue. Just IMO; if you like it, keep it. ^_^V
Thanx man. I'm keepin' it alright! lol

But y'know...Jus having it sprayed all the way blue would be just plain, y'know? You gotta give it some spazz...Give it art. Make it more dynamic & unique in your own way. Besides, I think Sliq made an all-the-way blue controller. <.<

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
That inspires me to make a black-red fade...
You should go for it!

Even though it will give your controller that "Shadow The Hedgehog Theme"...

But don't mind me if you think the Sonic series are lame. Black - Red reminded me of em'...I'm not really a fan of him myself. :laugh:

madattack

Smash Rookie
beautiful controllers, DP.

I've plowed through all the pages of this thread, and don't think anything was mention about doing something similar to this.

http://www.e-lacrosse.com/stech9.html

Lacrosse players dye their plastic heads in this manner. I don't know if this would work well with a gamecube controller, I'm just asking your opinion. That same link mentions the hot glue gun technique, which could also look cool on a gamecube controller. Would the heat from the hot glue gun affect a gamecube controller negatively?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Would the heat from the hot glue gun affect a gamecube controller negatively?
Possibly. Having too much hot glue gun affect on it may cause the control stick to become thick, making it hard for the controls to move around. That's why I'm safe about not painting my buttons, too. The paint jus might make it a little thick...

Top Bottom