• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Tomacawk

Smash Master
hey guys. gunna paint my controller tomorrow. went out to buy all my supplies today and couldn't find a trihead screwdriver (looked@walmart and home depot)
buying on the internet=not an option
think you guys can help?

Sliq

Smash Master
hey guys. gunna paint my controller tomorrow. went out to buy all my supplies today and couldn't find a trihead screwdriver (looked@walmart and home depot)
buying on the internet=not an option
think you guys can help?
The only place you are buying a tri-head, my friend, is off of the internet.

5ive

Smash Champion
Just tried using vinyl dye for the sticks.
I just failed..
Anyone have a good technique on painting the sticks?

BentoBox

Smash Master
nothing that I've tried has worked for the sticks; everything comes off eventually.

This is the first successful controller I made (posted a while ago)

And I really realllyyyy liked it, but I had used Plastic paint as recommended by this guide and the employees at the shop I bought the cans from and... the paint just came off by friction after a less than a week in. :< Met sliq/wigi @ a tourney a while later and they told me to use duplicolor paint instead and that has worked wonders. Didn't go for anything fancy though, just to be sure. But now that I know it doesn't come off, I'll prolly work on something less... boring :p

double c-stick ftw btw

The C-stick used to be beige... I painted my Y and X buttons too and to my amazement, the paint is still trooping and hanging in there, tho its chipped at a few places.

wasted shells:

:[

Binx

Smash Master
I agree with Tom, I was gonna go for that with my controller, obviously because I main Ice Climbers.

I also sort of want to replace both sticks with the 2 from a classic wii controller, they feel really good and I think it would be interesting, also wanna try and get a copy of my name on my controller somewhere, maybe in white or something, I guess I could just carefully cut out a copy of my sig or something and use that =)

Would anyone who is pretty good in photoshop like to show me how that would look? If I could get a picture I think I could make it, or find some people to help me make it.

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
so is there no definitive way to keep the control/c stick painted if you were to paint them? including the rubberized part. because i ordered a new control last night and im lookin to mod the **** off of it when it comes in.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I'm going to go shopping this week hopefully i can find a new controller and get all the paint =)

Sliq

Smash Master
Don't paint the sticks. The paint will chip off because of all of the use. Don't paint the buttons, either.

If you REALLY want to, use automotive paint and automotive clear coat. It'll still chip, but it won't chip as fast. I recommend engine enamel as it lasts long and is tough as ****.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yo. small update:
I got a flathead to work, have already painted 1 coat on the back, will post pictures when I finish tomorrow

WIGI

Smash Champion
Don't paint the sticks. The paint will chip off because of all of the use. Don't paint the buttons, either.

If you REALLY want to, use automotive paint and automotive clear coat. It'll still chip, but it won't chip as fast. I recommend engine enamel as it lasts long and is tough as ****.

yeah, like, if your playing competativly, or just alot in general, it will chip no matter what. sand them down properly and use the engine enamel or duplicolour paints and paint them thing, then clear coat lots of thing coats. theyl last a while. but they will always feel difeent and i don;t recomend it.

5ive

Smash Champion
Just tried painting the sticks with vinyl dye again.
I put clear coat over it to further protect it, and it worked perfectly.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How does vinyl duplicolor spraypaint compare to regular spraypaint when it comes to painting the body, not the sticks?

I've heard it doesn't chip or rub off as much, and it doesn't feel as weird. Can someone confirm?

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
apprently painting the sticks shouldnt happen, is there ANY kind of paint that would last or not come off at all from usage? id love to know, i hate the yellow c stick =\

5ive

Smash Champion
How does vinyl duplicolor spraypaint compare to regular spraypaint when it comes to painting the body, not the sticks?

I've heard it doesn't chip or rub off as much, and it doesn't feel as weird. Can someone confirm?
The vinyl dye seeps into the plastic so it's basically the BEST choice in terms of color. Good luck in finding the colors you want. I only saw Black, White, Red, and Grey.

Does it chip at all?
Right now, it's not. It looks perfect.

Tomacawk

Smash Master

I'm gunna have my friend (he's an incredible artist) do some sort of design where NINTENDO GAMECUBE used to be above start.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
just a note--it isn't baby blue, it's cobalt--the flash on the camera makes it look lighter than it is

Oracle

Smash Master
The tip of the c stick will almost always have its paint chip off because it is rubber. I'm gonna try replacing it with a gamestop controller's c stick that has no rubber and is larger (I have big hands lol)

Also @5ive: Is there any way to get a metallic kind of dye? Also how do you get it on?

5ive

Smash Champion
Dye has limited color :/

Try engine enamel. It's stronger than normal paint, and I saw some cool Metallic Colors.

5ive

Smash Champion
Yes vinyl dye is a spray on.

Enamel Paint is like spray paint. It is used to COVER the color underneath.

Vinyl dye seeps in INTO the plastic, so it is used to completely CHANGE the color underneath.

Of Course vinyl dye is easily the better choice, but color is the problem. Saying that, Enamel paint is probably the 2nd or third best choice.

Krylon paint for plastics is also a good paint.

KHON™

Smash Apprentice

I'm gunna have my friend (he's an incredible artist) do some sort of design where NINTENDO GAMECUBE used to be above start.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
just a note--it isn't baby blue, it's cobalt--the flash on the camera makes it look lighter than it is

pretty sweet colors you got there guy

Tomacawk

Smash Master
pretty sweet colors you got there guy
thanks. look at the top left of the blue paint where it's darkest--that's how it actually looks on the controller (****ty cameras ftl)
if anybody is wondering, works great, already have it re-assembled. only problem is moonwalking is difficult for me now (i used to have nearly frame perfect moonwalks) and sometimes when I wavedash to the left it airdodges. Probably my mistake for not using masking tape and painting the insides of the controller stick area.
hopefully i wear the paint down overtime and it goes back to normal. other than that everything responds perfectly, cans till do my really techy **** that is totally useless in game.

Jun.

Smash Lord
OMG HALP

what kind of clear coat is everyone here using and is it necessary? I have Krylon Matte finish and i swear its rubbing off and making things sticky and attracting nasty amounts of dirt.

input plz

WIGI

Smash Champion
let us know how long ti takes for the cstick/thumbstick to chip, and if it doens;t, tell us what u did xD

rhan

Smash Hero
This thread rocks!

I'm gonna try this out either this weekend or when I get to order the Tri-wing screwdriver. Good job on the first page also. It's very detailed. Even someone as slow as me can easily know what they're doing. Haha.

Top Bottom