• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

The Fasian

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question. Does anyone know how to fix a wobbly anolog stick on the GC controllers (I'm using Nintendo brand ones)? If not, does anyone know where I can find a video for it?

5ive

Smash Champion
Looking for more controllers to do, but where are you guys getting the controllers anyways?
Like, where are you guys buying them? I can't find any in stock.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
if i use the krylon paint for plastics, should i still put clear coat on it?

I did a controller with just regular spray paint+clear coat and i didnt like the texture, it was too sticky

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
hey guys.

i just did mine today with a sorta thin layer of primer, where you could still see the original case color (black in my case); it came out alright.

i wonder what effect does it have if i put more primer?

i think i need more tips on covering those corners by the d pad and c stick without over spraying my controller.

thanks.

edit: i also need tips on spraying the controller port: how many layers of primer/paint/coat? any general technique to paint such small part?

edit: i feel like spraying a finished controller again because the paint is really thin and a tiny spot of color just came off. what can i do since i've already put some clear coat on it?

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
KoJ's controller... the paint is now worn off on those buttons, so don't use it whatever he says xD
The paint wore off a) Because I use my controller A LOT b) Because I have thrown it against a few things from time to time c) Because I didn't sand the shell enough to create a decent enough gap between the shell and the buttons d) Because I unevenly applied the matte finish to protect the controller. The next one I do is going to be metallic pink and black.

Jerk :p

Jun.

Smash Lord
I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

Do chinese knockoffs of gamecube controllers aka the "fake ones" have shells that are nearly identical? By identical i mean can they be swapped with another half of a REAL NINTENDO controller? If so, a knockoff white controller is like 5 bucks on amazon....

Shök

Smash Champion
I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

Do chinese knockoffs of gamecube controllers aka the "fake ones" have shells that are nearly identical? By identical i mean can they be swapped with another half of a REAL NINTENDO controller? If so, a knockoff white controller is like 5 bucks on amazon....
Yes, the Chinese controllers are identical with the regular controllers.

. . .The only thing is that the Chinese controllers have a different "feel" to them.

. . .A different texture. . .

Jun.

Smash Lord
Yes, the Chinese controllers are identical with the regular controllers.

. . .The only thing is that the Chinese controllers have a different "feel" to them.

. . .A different texture. . .
In that case, I advise all people who want to paint anything white just buy a $5 knockoff from amazon and change the shell. The knockoff controller will end up much cheaper than buying paint, sandpaper, primer, and clear coat and will probably still look much better even if it has a different feel.

auroreon

Smash Ace
What is the generally accepted best method to use painting these controllers?
I have painted 3 controllers so far using the guide posted on the Melee boards. They were all fairly successful, but now a lot of the paint has worn off and they don't look nearly as good as they did.

I've heard that the best thing to use is Vinyl Dye, because it actually dyes the plastic, rather than just adding a layer of paint, thus it doesn't wear off. Can anyone confirm this works?

How do you guys get the paint to stay on so long and keep it looking good? What paint/primer/tricks are you using?

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
so would it be possible to use any spraypaint theoretically?
yes. however, different paint might require a specific clear coat for it. for example, i used the krylon fusion with the regular krylon clear coat because i thought it all worked the same and the controller was basically ruined. (must use krylon fusion with krylon fusion clear coat.)

Shök

Smash Champion
(must use krylon fusion with krylon fusion clear coat.)
I think that's where I made a mistake.

I used regular clear coat on Fusion paint.

It's not bad, but I'm assuming it would be better with the fusion clear coat.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I think I may have found an answer to the Cstick painting issue. I got some of that white vinyl die, and did some buttons and the Cstick with it, to see if it worked, and it's not looking too bad so far.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I think I may have found an answer to the Cstick painting issue. I got some of that white vinyl die, and did some buttons and the Cstick with it, to see if it worked, and it's not looking too bad so far.
The Vinyl dye works extremely well with controllers because it actually dyes the plastic so it FAR more durable than regular spray paint. You have to be careful with Vinyl dye though as while applying it the plastic can become very vunerable and you could easily scrape some of the plastic off with your finger nail. I don't think you actually need to apply any clear coat with Vinyl dye either. The only problem is I can't find anywhere that sells the stuff in a variety of different colors.
Also, I've found that clear lacquer is a much better replacement for clear coat, I've found it to be more durable and it gives a really nice glossy feel.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Since i just came upon this. it reminded me of when I modded my xbox controller. I wish i took a picture of it. I sprayed it and taped it off to make my halo 2 emblem and the then I took out the jewel (center with the xbox icon) and make something. can't remember

I will hopefully be doing the same thing with my gamecube controller this upcoming week. graduating, i want to take full advantage of my schools laser engraver and decal machine. Make a cool stencil and what not. I will keep things posted on this. if you have any questions or indepth stuff on how i did my xbox stuff. PM me. I will help you out.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Final touch?
If you mean the design I left it a solid colour.
If you mean the clear coating, I used Krylon Clear[Gloss].

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Wow, that's awesome. I really wanna do this, but I'm terrible at this kind of stuff.

I know what color I would paint my controller though. ;)

Shök

Smash Champion
Wow, that's awesome. I really wanna do this, but I'm terrible at this kind of stuff.

I know what color I would paint my controller though. ;)
I wonder... ;]

Don't worry, Cyan, this is very simple to do.

I have done my fair share of controllers and can tell you this from experience.

rhan

Smash Hero
When I get another controller. I'm going to go for a second attempt at spray painting. Last one went terribly wrong when my controller flew off my deck being still wet.......

Hax

Smash Champion
hey people, i really need help making a controller last-minute for genesis. if somebody could please AIM me at "zerohax" about it, that'd be sick. i don't understand one of the steps in the instructions

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I had just recently spray painted my airsoft gun. And it never occured to me that I could do this with my gamecube controller. I should get to work on this! (can't use the spray paint I used for my gun though... it was for my barbeque, so my controller would just stay black)

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
hey guys.

i am wondering how do you guys handle the area that makes contact with the control stick/c stick? because some paint got rubbed off from playing.

(i used primer, then 2-3 thin coats of paint, and finally 3-4 thin coats of finisher)

thanks.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i really wanna do this. but my current controller is in pretty bad condition.

i would like to know if u have to sand the buttons or paint over them also.

Top Bottom