• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I don't want to discourage you not to do it. You just have to research before you actually doing any kind of activity.

I just don't recommend spraying the buttons if you're inexperienced at spray painting or cheaped out on the paint... Just the the outter shells.

It's also helpful to have a backup controller always! :chuckle: My ideal controller is purple top and black bottom. And there already controllers that come in that color. So I just need to get those two controllers. and just switch the bottom shells with them.
lol It's okay, I don't really want to do it that bad anyway. Do you need a purple top or a black bottom? Cuz I got like 2 purple ones that I really don't need. I could send one to ya if you want. I got, like, sh*t loads of spare controllers. xD

rhan

Smash Hero
The controller I got now is Purple(Top)/Silver. lol

I'm probably gonna see if my friend would let me switch bottoms with him. :chuckle:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Mah best friend took my only f*kkin black bottom. He has a silver top black bottom. This was a old model too. The trigger buttons were weird.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I'm thinking about doing another one of these when my new white controller comes in.

I never realized I made it on the front page, lolz. Good times.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I didn't get to do it because of money troubles. :(

Ans I got my black bottom back but it doesn't really serve me any purpose nowadays.

Did you make any new designs?

Jun.

Smash Lord
silent spectre has a pretty sick controller if anyone's seen it. really nice finish. Tried asking him questions about it but was being silent spectre.

Shök

Smash Champion
Not recently.

I do feel like making some new ones, however. What did you do with the black bottom?

Pikminx45

Smash Cadet
Currently applying Clear Coat to my controller. Second time I've painted it so its coming on a bit thick, but I had to repaint since the original controller came out horribly. Going Teal Top with Black Bottom and Black Buttons, leaving Z Purple. Should look pretty nice.

Pikminx45

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm reconsidering button painting. The paint I'm using is too thick and would just destroy them, not to mention the paint doesn't last very long on them. I think I'll just do the plug and be done with it. I don't really want to mess around with molded plastic buttons.

r3d d09

Smash Master
i haven't had time to do my different controllers. i did the blue and yellow design that awesome controller. the one where the c stick and joy stick bulge out. . . i will post another pic so you can see.

yeah... i never fixed that yellow mess up >.>

too lazy, i'm going to do a black and white one just like that. should turn out good this time

MASTER_VOID

Smash Journeyman
I know there's some problems with paint coming off buttons, how long will it take for the original colours to begin to show?

Depends how ofen you play Lord_Bowser, your good for the first month after that the paint will start to chip off. Some people like to paint there buttons but i prefer not too because it doesnt look that great when it does happen

I am thinking about painting a new controller very soon, havent decided what colors to use yet but i will post up the pics when im am through somtime next week

Shök

Smash Champion
Agreed, Void.

Also, painting the buttons, obviously, gives the buttons a different feel. They won't be as slick. ;)

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
i just bought the tri-wing screwdriver for $2 including shipping off of ebay, i'm just waiting for it to ship over here ^_^

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I've got one question though =/

I don't really get what that "Clear Coat" is supposed to be or to mean. What is it? I suppose it's some kind of spray can to give things a nice little final touch after applying the paint job ^^"

Hope for an answer, I've got some pretty cool concepts in my mind just waiting to be released =P

Shök

Smash Champion
I don't really get what that "Clear Coat" is supposed to be or to mean. What is it? I suppose it's some kind of spray can to give things a nice little final touch after applying the paint job ^^"
You're right.

Taken from the first page:

5. Clear Coat - This goes on after the paint. It is coating for the paint. Obviously. Keeping you controller smooth and protected.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
my paint job was good for a couple of months then the areas where the control/c stick would rub against start to chip off. does this happen to you guys?

for my controller i had 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, and 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. i tried to put just enough color to cover the controller and to prevent overdoing it.

now my controller has spots without paint. for sure it is not necessary to redo the entire controller. may i get some advice from you guys?

thanks.

Shök

Smash Champion
my paint job was good for a couple of months then the areas where the control/c stick would rub against start to chip off. does this happen to you guys?
It really depends on how good your paint job was. Depends on time spent painting, the amount of color coats and clear coat, ect.

With time, it's just inevitable. The paint job is not meant to last forever. :p

for my controller i had 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, and 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. i tried to put just enough color to cover the controller and to prevent overdoing it.
The actual paint process is around 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 3~4 or so coats of clear coat.

now my controller has spots without paint. for sure it is not necessary to redo the entire controller. may i get some advice from you guys?

thanks.
Well you can't really only paint certain spots on your controller. That would result in your controller having different textures all over. The best thing to do would be to paint your whole controller again. ;)

Hope that helped.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
what is an effective way of getting old paint off the cracks and ridges of the controller? in case i want to paint my controller again. i find using paint remover with q-tips a very tedious process, and often doesn't get the job done.

Shök

Smash Champion
Do you still need clear coat if you're using vinyl spraypaint?
Yes.

what is an effective way of getting old paint off the cracks and ridges of the controller? in case i want to paint my controller again. i find using paint remover with q-tips a very tedious process, and often doesn't get the job done.
The best way to do this would be to sand your controller again.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
yeah sorry i thought sanding the controller is the given first step, so i skip to the point where sand paper isn't flexible enough to get the ridges and corners. what would you do then?

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
hey, I bought this spraypaint for plastics, its called Krylon Fusion for plastic.

it claims that you don't need to sand or prime first, is this a valid claim for gamecube controllers?

Shök

Smash Champion
yeah sorry i thought sanding the controller is the given first step, so i skip to the point where sand paper isn't flexible enough to get the ridges and corners. what would you do then?
I would still simply stay with the sand paper. Sand and sand until you get the spots.

hey, I bought this spraypaint for plastics, its called Krylon Fusion for plastic.

it claims that you don't need to sand or prime first, is this a valid claim for gamecube controllers?
That's right. You don't have to sand or primer. The nature of "Krylon Fusion" is enough to stick to the plastic.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
That's right. You don't have to sand or primer. The nature of "Krylon Fusion" it enough to stick to the plastic.
sweeeeeeet!
I would still have to find the clear coat though, I should be able to find that in the same area as the paint do you think? What are a couple good brands?

Top Bottom