• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Sanu

Smash Champion
Anyone want to join me in **** slapping the world?

Or perhaps ****ing it in the ear would be preferred?

Either or.

:phone:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I found a really good read (smash-related). A collection of interviews, directed to influential members of the fighting game community (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc), were recently released and shed light on many problems the scene as a whole is facing. I hope you all enjoy this particular question/answer as much as I did.

Entire interview with James Chen here:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/fighting-games-symposium-6373250/?page=6

How accommodating are fighting games for players who are new to the genre, and should fighting games be responsible for teaching concepts such as cross-ups and option selects?

Absolutely. The problem is that only one fighting game series has ever done it right when it comes to teaching players. The proper way to teach players the more complex tactics is to almost trick them into learning, and to make the learning process fun and competitive on its own. Most fighting games try to teach you by directly teaching you: tutorials, trials, missions, etc. This isn't the way to go about teaching your players how to play the game.

The only series that has ever done it right--and, of course, this will be a controversial claim because not everyone sees this as a fighting game--is Super Smash Bros. Super Smash Bros. Melee started it, and Brawl expanded on it with the Subspace Emissary, but the crux of the teaching tools are actually Break the Targets and the Home-Run Contest. I'm not sure if people out there realize the crazy number of fundamentals taught in just those two minigames. Break the Targets teaches movement, how your moves hit, timing, outside-the-box thinking with how to use your moves, and a bevy of other skills. Home-Run Contest teaches you maximizing damage in a limited time, spacing, distancing (certain moves do more damage at specific ranges), and manipulating your opponent around a small play field (making sure the punching bag didn't fall off the platform). And the biggest factor with both of those modes is that they are inherently competitive on their own.

People foam at the mouth trying to break all the targets as fast as possible. Getting a ridiculous distance on your Home-Run Contest is a huge point of pride amongst your friends. And when you see that your distance, which you thought was amazing, is only half as long as the record, you do research and try to imitate and improve on what they do, making you unintentionally learn new tactics. Then, add to that the fact that the Subspace Emissary forces you to try every character in a fun environment, and you start to like certain characters over others. All of us probably ended up with our "go-to character" in the stages that you were allowed to pick your character, and thus developed a favorite character without even realizing it. And the Subspace Emissary also taught you how to deal with moving opponents and how to avoid damage.

The funny thing is, you've ended up learning a ton of important, core fundamentals about the game and have never realized it just by playing those three modes. Let's face it, when we played Street Fighter II in the arcades long ago, no one taught us any fundamentals. We had to learn them ourselves because we had no fundamentals to be taught yet. And as we got better, we did it by learning fundamentals without knowing it. That's the best way for people to learn.

So, rather than creating tutorials and such, fighting games need to teach people by fooling them into learning. Even things like the car breaking in the original Street Fighter II taught you how to do the biggest damage in the quickest way possible. There needs to be things like that, but obviously more advanced and with better variety and more enjoyment. But most importantly, in this day and age, they must make sure they have online leaderboards and replay features. The natural competitive nature of people will cause them to try and get the best score amongst their friends lists, and that competitive drive will cause them to learn, and when playing competitively against others, they will naturally understand more about things like movement, spacing, and knowing which attacks to use and when.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
I knew that! I spent a whole summer few years back, before being exposed to competitive smash loitering in HRC trying to get every char above 2k ft (hardest one was kirby).

That's why I can easily take on tier 2 players in this community with so many pocket chars :awesome:

but seriously, I'm glad someone pointed that out. I 100% agree.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the pocket chars thing is mostly just a matchup knowledge kinda deal

and no one plays seriously vs pocket chars becuz its f***ing mario or something

edit: good stuff bernard imma check it out when i get on a comp

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
the pocket chars thing is mostly just a matchup knowledge kinda deal

and no one plays seriously vs pocket chars becuz its f***ing mario or something

edit: good stuff bernard imma check it out when i get on a comp
umadbro? :awesome:

Nah but seriously, it's the only way I can get a feel for a matchup, as you pointed out, since I don't have many ppl to play, so I can try to understand the other perspectives =\

lulcommaredundancy

Ministry

Smash Ace
found out brawl tourny is same day as melee when melee was already scheduled. less then half setups for melee. probably not coming anymore. tinman trying to annoy people or something.

idea

Smash Master
to whom it may concern, i bought my montreal tickets...

[there]
Date: Friday 01 June 2012
Leaving: 1130
Arriving: 1715

[return]
Date: Monday 04 June 2012
Leaving: 1500
Arriving: 2045

sorry bing, i'ma go back on monday...

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Damn Javi has a deathwish chillin' at the edge like that. It's fun to watch a Fox who laughs in the face of mortal danger. The gimps are that much more hilarious (read: dtilt, run off uair)

Top Bottom