• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am a bit depressed that the comments in that MLG article are mostly anti-MLG. It's sad that a lot of gamers don't understand the spirit of competition on a professional stage. I don't mind splitting on a local stage or national stage. However, once you put yourself in a professional league, you need to abide by their rules, which I am glad they have instilled and enforce. Like hell I wanna watch people split, collude, or fix rankings on the highest stage.
It's just like the Melee and Brawl incidents, people will think it's no big deal without realizing a lot of side stuff that does get affected by it that does matter to a bigger picture.

Hopefully people will learn like at the Olympics where DQs happened this year.

Lovage

Smash Hero
"escapes as a gate for the AD meta" is sorta true but also total bull****/lame thinking

ashe kogmaw will always always be good. draven and sivir are both underrated.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yo if you be splittin you keep it on the down low and NEVER SAY ANYTHING. It's as simple as that. Wait for your check, then "treat" them to a $1000 dinner.
eh, disagree. split in communities where it's acceptable, don't in communities where it's not. MLG has established that they take esports very seriously and will not tolerate anti-competition **** like splitting. I mean, really, if it's so inconsequential to these teams to play it out, then... well, just play it out. but I digress, the point is that this is unacceptable, but it's also the first case of anything like this in the LoL community. The punishment put on the teams is fair, but I think that should just be the end of it. Yes, they should've known better, but the intent didn't seem malicious, they still put on a good show, etc, I think things should just be left where they are now.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Im surprised fans got so worked up over MLG's decision. I don't think the fact that they were splitting was why MLG decided to take action, but the way that both teams went about it.

If they had allowed the ARAM to go through then it would have been seen as acceptable and eventually professional league might devolve into something like this crap. Rather than the degree of professionalism that the SC community has had in their tournaments for years.

esports is in a very crucial point in its growth where the degree of professionalism shown by tournament officials and teams is the only thing that will solidify esports.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'll be frank: **** like this is the reason no one takes esports seriously. Professional athletes are trained to either have some kind of moral compass, or pretend to have one. Sportsmanship and ethics have a long and complicated history in sports. People take it incredibly seriously, both fans and players alike.

Pro gamers act like ****ing children by comparison, because that's what pro gamers are in the US: kids who are really good at video games, and really, pro gamers are by-and-large, very selfish competitive types who are more about themselves than about promoting what they do. People will remember in 20 years that Armstrong lost his awards for doping up, but in 20 years no one will even remember who scarra even was. eSports is under the "fun while it lasts" umbrella. There's no lasting legacy no matter how you behave, so aside from just having a well-calibrated moral compass (dude, don't make me ****ing laugh LOL) there's no reason for these kids to treat these events as anything but side shows between now and college and an eventual Real Job(tm).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Thought on varus?

:phone:
Pretty awesome poke, unreliable steroid, and no escape thus needs a comp to protect him (in this meta that is). His utility is a root that spreads... its kind of a niche, and not as useful compared to Ashe's ult. However it can still be used to initiate to start up a whole chain CC train but still not as safe as Ashe. All and all, great at laning, needs a support that can peel amazingly. My favorite is Varus/Lulu

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
the way people ahve been playing him is maxing his aoe slow and only putting 1 point in q to pop blight stacks.

**** does a lot of damage.

his ult and aspd steroid are great for mid and lategame teamfights

and sometimes his ult can net you a double kill in botlane yay

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I think Varus is awful. His laning is very mediocre and outright bad against the trinity. He has no escape and a bad steroid making his effectiveness in teamfights poor. Oh, and he does no damage at all. I think his passive should give him bonus movement speed when he kills and I think his attack animation desperately needs to be fixed. By far, the worst animation on an AD carry.

Sivir blows chunks. No escape with 500 range is terribad.

I think Draven is the only carry who can stand up to the trinity consistently.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I think Varus is awful. His laning is very mediocre and outright bad against the trinity. He has no escape and a bad steroid making his effectiveness in teamfights poor. Oh, and he does no damage at all. I think his passive should give him bonus movement speed when he kills and I think his attack animation desperately needs to be fixed. By far, the worst animation on an AD carry.

Sivir blows chunks. No escape with 500 range is terribad.

I think Draven is the only carry who can stand up to the trinity consistently.
I think varus is underrated. His laning is fine. He has poke, free attack speed from minions to help with last hitting, and a healing debuff+DOT for trades. He does quite a bit of damage actually when you pop blight and hit people with all of your skills which all do damage. Also 575 range is nice and easily lets you poke against some other carries early on like trist and graves.

I do agree with you about his steroid being unreliable though. Annoying during midgame dragon fights or lategame baron fights when there are no minions around for you to last hit.

I would like to hear why you think draven can stand up to "the trinity" and why varus cant. Considering ez and corki both have blinks to disengage draven whenever and can easily outpoke him and graves straight up has more burst.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I personally dont think Varus is bad, just he's never the best choice in any comp.

D

Deleted member

People will remember in 20 years that Armstrong lost his awards for doping up, but in 20 years no one will even remember who scarra even was. eSports is under the "fun while it lasts" umbrella. There's no lasting legacy no matter how you behave, so aside from just having a well-calibrated moral compass (dude, don't make me ****ing laugh LOL) there's no reason for these kids to treat these events as anything but side shows between now and college and an eventual Real Job(tm).
c'mon how is that even a fair comparison. millions of people watch just the tour de france alone, and you're mentioning a guy who won seven years in a row. eSports didn't even exist when Armstrong won his first tour. If you want to make a fair comparison you'd have to take something less known like fencing as example, not freaking cycling (probably the most well known solo sport after tennis and judo)

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
The biggest problem with Varus is that he has to stand in place for a couple hours before firing one arrow. Everyone else instantly throws their axe or shoots their gun, but Varus has to pump his bow, like, 3 times before actually shooting. It really takes away whatever range advantage he might have in lane because the opponent will have plenty of time to react and trade, from which I don't see Varus coming out on top even if he has his passive up. If he loses trades and has a poor AA then he'll be easy to zone out from CS and it will take him longer to get to late game.

Late-game he can be strong, but that's the nature of AD carries. They are supposed to be strong late-game, but compared to others he falls under. He has no form of escape (which is why I think he should get a move speed boost along with attack speed on his passive) so he has very little room for mistakes in positioning compared to... everyone. KogMaw and Caitlyn has range, Ashe has range and slow, everyone else has a blink. His attack animation gets in the way here too, making him less potent than he should be and making him even more vulnerable to positioning. Blight is cool, but a failed concept imo. It encourages waiting before you use your spells, so you have to debate between dealing as much damage as possible or using your cc as actual cc and not blight fodder which you'll often be wont to do because that's your only tool of survival without a team designed to peel for you which leads to the question: Why would you make a team around an AD carry when everyone else does that carry's job better in any situation? Varus is weak in lane and weak late-game and needs a team. That's a lot of weaknesses.

I believe Draven competes with the trinity because he hits just as hard as they do and he has a built in ghost that refreshes from Spinning Blades. His harass is strong with his ability to Blood Rush in -> Q -> Blood Rush out (if necessary) and he can capitalize on aggressive play very well with his high damage and a low cd cc. He also scales hard since his bonus Q damage can crit and his ult offers upfront aoe damage which is what I think this meta is all about - Upfront damage (and bullcrap cc that ignores tenacity).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Today was shenanigan day for league. Didn't swap with top lane due to some weird bug. Went top jax with sona runes/masteries. Ended up on cs going 5/2/11 with one death being nexus dive. The sona went 9/2/19 with jax setup... O.o Won a 4v5 when jungle olaf DCs immediately after hitting 6. Play a blitz game with the amputee hand. (not a single decent pull all game) It was a fun day. :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not even concerned about Ziggs's new skin, i want to see a whole collection of beach party skins..

particularly Darius

Although i'd love a beach party Lulu

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
K Prime mentioned an Internet Browser team yesterday.

Firefox Ahri
Chrome Rammus
Safari Caitlyn
Explorer Ezreal

aaaand whatever else you can scrounge up I guess. :applejack:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
OMG, LIFEGUARD RENEK IS COMING, AMAZING.

That skin was suggested forever ago and it's so fkin' legit with the baywatch life preserver thing that looks like his weapons.
Is this confirmed, or is it just because he was in the splash art?

Top Bottom