• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Reep

Smash Rookie
Welcome. You play any other smash games aside from 64? Also are you familiar with competitive play(Z-cancelling etc) or do you just play a lot casually? Just curious.
Playing casually is for casuals. I played Melee quite a bit, but I never played competitively though. I probably could play 64 competitively, but I'm pretty content with stomping server trash on the galaxy with ridiculous tent combos. I call it bliss. To answer your question, I know what z-canceling, spacing, DI, DJCing and teching are. Pretty standard stuff if you've played smash for more than 10 hours.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yeah. The same is true for every role too, not just AD.
I disagree, it's true if you're a ranged dps oriented character that is gonna be squishy (why cassio isn't seeing as much play?), but if you're a ranged burster, not as much.

Well unless you can still do your damage while dead.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
shame on curse/dignitas, thats so disrespectful towards mlg

its entertaining, but for finals of a major tournament series? i hope they had a good reason to do this

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Been working on sona recently. How nuts was this character before here nerfs? She feels really strong now, probably the only support I feel like I can 2v1 bot with at times.

Also Zac, that ain't league.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Been working on sona recently. How nuts was this character before here nerfs? She feels really strong now, probably the only support I feel like I can 2v1 bot with at times.

Also Zac, that ain't league.
Well she was nerfed quite hard, but then re-buffed recently so she's strong again. Pre-nerf she was incredibly strong, but then again so were Soraka and Janna so it wasn't that big of a deal. I see her as the middleground of Janna and Soraka — she doesn't have the frequent hard-CC/disengage of Janna nor the high-sustainability of Soraka, but rather she is solid at both general offensive and defensive support. What makes her feel especially competent at offensive support is her AA, which is easily the best of the traditional supports and one of the best in the game animation-wise

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As much as I dislike the result, I agree with the decision. While the circuit points were of minimal importance to them in the match so first or second was essentially irrelevant, under mlg rules it was essentially equivalent to the splitting which happened in the smash community.

The same determination should be made.

Edit:

Oh crap, apparently it wasn't the ARAM. There was full-scale collusion.

Seriously dignitas? You were always a class act, I am extremely disappointed in you guys.

Both teams should be disqualified from the season finals.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I knew Dignitas was holding back from how they were playing.

I'm not holding anything against Dignitas and Curse, Esports is still relatively new so people are going be doing this stuff until an example is made. Hopefully this will be it for LoL.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Hopefully mlg sees this as an isolated incident and keeps lol in next years lineup

:phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hopefully mlg sees this as an isolated incident and keeps lol in next years lineup

:phone:
Its just ignorance, And I see this more will Dignitas and curse still be able to attend MLG

There are still plenty of LoL teams to not take LoL out of the line up

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
you mean 2006 when Ken and Chu did that ****? Or did brawl players not learn from that too?
M2k and ADHD learned the same thing in 2010.

Which was probably the same thing that starcraft learned long before.

Which was similar to the lesson guilty gear learned at evo in 2009 iirc.

Seems like each individual community has to learn it over and over again and we'll still have scumbags who don't learn.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
M2k and ADHD learned the same thing in 2010.

Seems like each individual community has to learn it over and over again and we'll still have scumbags who don't learn.
what makes they scumbags? video gaming communities have always been fairly tolerant of splitting in finals. It's a behavior that needs to be trained out if it's going to be a serious spectator sport, but I hardly see how it merits this hostility from you, especially considering just how many people were actually stoked about this finals.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Worst part is the community starts spewing hate at MLG saying "its their money, let them do what they want with it!"
This happens every time something like this comes up. Several people in the Smash community said the same thing.

It's odd because people will defend people they don't know over an issue they don't really bother to understand.

M2K and ADHD did it at MLG too.
Ken and Chu wasn't quite the same as M2K and ADHD. As far as I know they didn't split prize money. Ken faked losing to Chu in winner's finals so he could beat Azen in loser's finals and then Chu would end up getting second after Ken beats him in grand finals. Anyway, that incident is the reason the rule is there.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer

Wait, Guilty Gear in 2009? Is there something I'm not aware of here?

Starcraft hasn't had that problem AFAIK, at least for major tournaments. I'm willing to bet it has happened but wasn't made public, which is really what you should do if you choose to make those kind of arrangements.

What HAS happened is several players were caught and banned for life for match-fixing.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm a bit confused, are/were people pissed because they threw the game or because they split the pot?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ken and Chu wasn't quite the same as M2K and ADHD. As far as I know they didn't split prize money. Ken faked losing to Chu in winner's finals so he could beat Azen in loser's finals and then Chu would end up getting second after Ken beats him in grand finals. Anyway, that incident is the reason the rule is there.
I was pretty sure they did that to M2K, not to Azen. One of them took a dive to go beat M2K and keep him down lol. That's why it was ironic later on with M2K and ADHD, although what happened with M2K and ADHD from what I understood was not directly scheming but potential splitting.

I'm a bit confused, are/were people pissed because they threw the game or because they split the pot?
When people split, even if they both try hard, you can easily get the impression that they weren't trying their best or that they don't care that much. Visible splitting from a spectator point of view is a boner killer.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
what makes they scumbags? video gaming communities have always been fairly tolerant of splitting in finals. It's a behavior that needs to be trained out if it's going to be a serious spectator sport, but I hardly see how it merits this hostility from you, especially considering just how many people were actually stoked about this finals.
I've always agreed with AZ on this, splitting is against the spirit of competition and it's nearly impossible to distinguish simply splitting from not caring about the results or deciding who gets first or second. Lord knows I can point to plenty of brawl tournaments where splitting turned them into farces.

Splitting is bad enough when it's legal, when it's against the rules of the tournament, it's a scumbag move.

Perhaps this is because I've never been strong enough to actually win money if any real quality players were present and so have always had my eye more on competitive spirit and the quality of the community, but I've always considered splitting detestable and something communities should consider a black mark that's MAYBE done behind closed doors. Not the way business is normally done.

Wait, Guilty Gear in 2009? Is there something I'm not aware of here?

Starcraft hasn't had that problem AFAIK, at least for major tournaments. I'm willing to bet it has happened but wasn't made public, which is really what you should do if you choose to make those kind of arrangements.

What HAS happened is several players were caught and banned for life for match-fixing.
This is an Evo thing, Marn was TOing for Guilty Gear Evo and was also competing (see, why TOs should NEVER compete in major tournaments they're TOing for). He manipulated the bracket so he would have an easy ride, the scandal almost got GG kicked out of the Evo circuit.

As I remember there was a very public scandal in korea where it was discovered that a number of pro starcraft players were participating in this.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Seriously dignitas? You were always a class act, I am extremely disappointed in you guys.
First the whole Jatt thing and now this, I dunno I think Dignitas has been kind of shady recently

It's a shame too because scarra is so cuddly, odd to think of him as a schemer behind the scenes. Rest of dignitas are a bunch of weirdos though, don't like em

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
First the whole Jatt thing and now this, I dunno I think Dignitas has been kind of shady recently

It's a shame too because scarra is so cuddly, odd to think of him as a schemer behind the scenes. Rest of dignitas are a bunch of weirdos though, don't like em
The jatt thing was pretty obviously WCG's incompitence(which they displayed at several regional of the country finals, note how riot isn't doing business with them anymore), there is no reason whatsoever to believe jatt and riot conspired to put dig in the finals.

And no, him competing in two separate countries was not against the rules, you were only not allowed to compete in the finals for multiple countries, and his canadian team was eliminated prior to that (as I understand it, he was a ringer). He was locked into only being able to compete in the finals for the US because he competed for a US team in an event first that season.

That it was illegal was entirely a rumor.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Yo guys, I know this isn't the right thread, but I'd probably want to play with you guys over other people anyway.

If you've gotten Guild Wars 2 or are getting it, add me and WE PLAYS YEAH? Tonix.8945 is ID, and server is Sanctum of Rall.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
This is an Evo thing, Marn was TOing for Guilty Gear Evo and was also competing (see, why TOs should NEVER compete in major tournaments they're TOing for). He manipulated the bracket so he would have an easy ride, the scandal almost got GG kicked out of the Evo circuit.
It's surprising that I am unable to get any good information about this on the internet.

Best of my knowledge this didn't happen at Evo. If it did it would have probably been in 2005 and not 2009. Random people online seem to mention Season's Beatings a lot. I really want to figure this out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I am a bit depressed that the comments in that MLG article are mostly anti-MLG. It's sad that a lot of gamers don't understand the spirit of competition on a professional stage. I don't mind splitting on a local stage or national stage. However, once you put yourself in a professional league, you need to abide by their rules, which I am glad they have instilled and enforce. Like hell I wanna watch people split, collude, or fix rankings on the highest stage.

Top Bottom