• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Am I the only one who would want to see both Brawl & Melee at EVO?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Brawl-hate from 99.95% of Melee players (who complain about it) is unjustified, ignorant, and makes me (among others, I'm sure) loathe to be a part of this community.

I took my vote for Melee away because of you, MattDotZeb, and you, VKRM. You aren't the basis of it, but you were the final straw. I have dealt with your type of ignorant bull**** for too long, and I am done.

Congratulations; you've managed to make the Melee community smaller by one person. Keep up the good work, and I hope you eventually realize how toxic your attitude is.

Ciao.

:phone:
Can't speak for anyone else, but my comment was 100% a joke. I actually do enjoy on some occasions participating in Brawl tournaments -- enough that I can say I do have a Brawl main.

Oh well, your reply is hilarious so it doesn't really matter.

(My comments about Brawl's slowness with 3 stocks was honestly my idea of how to improve the game, not insulting the game)

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Smash 64's default amount of stocks in tournament play is 5; Melee is 4 and Brawl is 3. Do you guys think that it'll be 2 stocks in SSB4? :awesome:

V-K

Smash Ace
So you point out that the FGC is ignorant towards Melee as a real fighting game, but you go on to act the same way about Brawl.
I didn't bash Brawl, I played that game from 2008 to 2009, I actually know quite some stuff about it. But the fact that competitive gameplay doesn't really involve comboes etc. makes me wonder if it is fun to watch for other people and a good image for Smash (which is for me SSB64 and SSBM).

But whatever, this topic should end here because I didn't want to start an argument about that, play what game you like. I just assumed that this thread in general was about getting Melee into EVO so I don't get why people vote for Brawl.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
Ya Brawls cool.. but the fact that they've only had each game at EVO once, it's highly unlikely we're gonna get both, and on top of that, how excited do you think EVO contestants who havent tried either game will be if they watch top-notch brawl players duke it out as opposed to melee, imo melee would pull more interest from newcomers due to it's fast paced action

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
(My comments about Brawl's slowness with 3 stocks was honestly my idea of how to improve the game, not insulting the game)
I feel like we could stand to do the same. When Cactuar was polling opinions and ideas on a new ruleset 3 stocks 5 mins seemed like a good way to save on time without impacting the game much and it would solve the problems brought up in this thread about how tournament going long could cause an issue a Evo. Maybe its too soon for a change but I think we could try it out, I have and its not a terrible change.

A friend of mine, knightpraetor, has a roommate at college and they play Melee on an LCD TV using composite cables. He can't feel any lag on it and he's like pretty good at this game. I think having Melee setups on a Wii with VGA cables connecting to EVO monitors might be doable. Someone should test this

oukd

Smash Lord
that's like gross >_< when i do that with lcd tvs i feel miles of lag, and i had to do that for a whole summer but i got used to it eventually, so yeah it's like baaarely manageable

Atlus8

Smash Master
EVO staff is well equipped with CRT tvs so I wouldn't worry about them! What I would worry about is about the rule set for the game since the TO's for the event have different opinions than our community! Most of you don't know, but there was a podcast (I'm trying to find) where Mr.Wizard, EVO organizer, said that smash was taken off the lineup mainly because we didn't agree with the rule set they have implemented! It wasn't because the game was hated, boring or lack of attendance! From what I have read up, Smash was very well received while it lasted at EVO!

UZ_Kathi

Smash Rookie
Ceci est très true.I perdu mon poids juste apporté des changements dans l'alimentation, en prenant tous les végétariens et des low carb Cela m'a aidé beaucoup et je suggère à tous

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
EVO staff is well equipped with CRT tvs so I wouldn't worry about them! What I would worry about is about the rule set for the game since the TO's for the event have different opinions than our community! Most of you don't know, but there was a podcast (I'm trying to find) where Mr.Wizard, EVO organizer, said that smash was taken off the lineup mainly because we didn't agree with the rule set they have implemented! It wasn't because the game was hated, boring or lack of attendance! From what I have read up, Smash was very well received while it lasted at EVO!
When you do find the podcast link it, sounds interesting

Atlus8

Smash Master
When you do find the podcast link it, sounds interesting
I have spent almost an hour trying to find it! I can't recall if it was on WakeUpSRK or not, but I remember it was a podcast that came out just before EVO 2011! There was also a story Mr.Wizard was talking about how they BARELY managed to get CRT tvs for the event because the monitors they were going to use that year were laggy! I'm trying to find it!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If you love Melee you'll take your vote away from Brawl. By voting for Brawl you are:

1. Giving the impression that people are voting for whatever the hell has the name "Smash Bros." in it and not what's actually a quality game because you're voting for both a really great and a really ****ty game.

2. Not really helping the community in the long run because the Brawl community is most likely going to die after Smash 4 anyways. It hasn't happened often that a decade old game still makes it to EVO but a prequel and a sequel have NEVER appeared alongside each other.

3. Making people take the poll less seriously and giving Melee less of a chance to appear at EVO.

It's ****ing unbelievable how long and how much we've already established Brawl as the biggest middle finger to a competitive community in the history of video games then turn around and stab our own game in the guts to give that game a chance at the biggest competitive fighting game tournament in the world. Who the **** wants to see that piece of **** at EVO anyways? I sincerely hope the appallingly high amount of votes for Brawl are from the Brawl community and casuals and not from within the Melee community.

Sorry for ranting a bit but this post isn't off-topic Brawl bashing, it's relevant to getting Melee into EVO.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
^He's right. The better Melee looks compared to Brawl, the more likely Melee will get in and the EVO staff will just ignore the Brawl votes. Because both aren't getting in.

Hax

Smash Champion
putting people on blast for voting for brawl:

HUNGRYBOX
slox
swiftbass
sheridan
mattdotzeb
weon-x

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Sorry for ranting a bit but this post isn't off-topic Brawl bashing, it's relevant to getting Melee into EVO.
Really?

1. Giving the impression that people are voting for whatever the hell has the name "Smash Bros." in it and not what's actually a quality game because you're voting for both a really great and a really ****ty game.
It's ****ing unbelievable how long and how much we've already established Brawl as the biggest middle finger to a competitive community in the history of video games then turn around and stab our own game in the guts to give that game a chance at the biggest competitive fighting game tournament in the world. Who the **** wants to see that piece of **** at EVO anyways? I sincerely hope the appallingly high amount of votes for Brawl are from the Brawl community and casuals and not from within the Melee community.
That looks like a lot of "off-topic Brawl bashing" to me. This is probably the most constructive thing to come out of that post:

It hasn't happened often that a decade old game still makes it to EVO but a prequel and a sequel have NEVER appeared alongside each other.
Even then you're misinformed, thanks to last year's Tournament of Legends for Super Turbo.

Look, I'm not a big fan of Brawl, but I'm not going to go around here pissing and moaning about people that wanna cast their vote for it. That's their prerogative.

Smooth Criminal

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Really?

That looks like a lot of "off-topic Brawl bashing" to me. This is probably the most constructive thing to come out of that post:

Even then you're misinformed, thanks to last year's Tournament of Legends for Super Turbo.

Look, I'm not a big fan of Brawl, but I'm not going to go around here pissing and moaning about people that wanna cast their vote for it. That's their prerogative.

Smooth Criminal
Tournament of Legends was a invitation only side tournament, that's not happening for any Smash game, or any other fighting game ever for that matter. Once again, due to limited game slots it's going to come down to one smash game at EVO this year or nothing, and the way the polls are right now it looks like it's going to be Melee. People can vote for whatever they want, but it goes against the expansion of the Melee community AND the expansion of the Brawl community to vote for Brawl for the reasons I stated above. If Melee brings the hype to Smash like KoF13 at EVO2012 we're going to see a lot more Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 support in the years to come.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I voted for the games I enjoy playing and/or watching. So, sorry for being honest in a poll, but I won't turn on a community I'm part of for the sake something dumb like UR KILLIN ESPORTS.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I voted for the games I enjoy playing and/or watching. So, sorry for being honest in a poll, but I won't turn on a community I'm part of for the sake something dumb like UR KILLIN ESPORTS.
That means you're not the demographic he's talking about, you casual scr00b.

Life

Smash Hero
Brawl-hate from 99.95% of Melee players (who complain about it) is unjustified, ignorant, and makes me (among others, I'm sure) loathe to be a part of this community.

I took my vote for Melee away because of you, MattDotZeb, and you, VKRM. You aren't the basis of it, but you were the final straw. I have dealt with your type of ignorant bull**** for too long, and I am done.

Congratulations; you've managed to make the Melee community smaller by one person. Keep up the good work, and I hope you eventually realize how toxic your attitude is.

Ciao.

Please don't let people like Jackpot control your decisions.

Like it or not, guys, we're all in this together. This is one of those situations where we will either hang together or be hanged separately.

Melee fanatics: Brawl is not a threat to you.

Brawl has roughly 1800 votes, and I'd hazard that most Brawl voters also vote Melee. To the FGC, there is no Melee community and Brawl community, only the Smash community. What do they say when not only does Melee double any other game (as it's on track to do), but Brawl beats out all the other likely candidates (such as P4A, which it isn't yet but it looks possible)? And, assuming EVO staff thinks logically, what does it say when the prequel beats the sequel by as far as it's on track to? There is no chance of Brawl's success hurting Melee's success. Or, to throw out another cliche: a rising tide lifts all boats.

So yeah. Don't try to lift yourself up by putting Brawl down. It doesn't work that way.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
People are actually defending ethereal? He's a funny guy, but it's not intentional. He claims to be support brawl and melee working together but he withdrew his vote after only two people said stuff he didn't want to hear about brawl. Just two, he punishes the whole melee scene, for two less than pleasant remarks. You should go back and read the post that bothered him. I said a lot the things that life did but some reason when it's about melee's success in the poll and not brawl's or smash's people get bent out of shape.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
People are actually defending ethereal? He's a funny guy, but it's not intentional. He claims to be support brawl and melee working together but he withdrew his vote after only two people said stuff he didn't want to hear about brawl. Just two, he punishes the whole melee scene, for two less than pleasant remarks. You should go back and read the post that bothered him. I said a lot the things that life did but some reason when it's about melee's success in the poll and not brawl's or smash's people get bent out of shape.

I prefer Melee over Brawl. In fact, I posted recently that I hate Brawl as a sequel to Melee.

Unfortunately, I absolutely loathe the attitude that some of my fellow Melee-lovers have toward Brawl. I can't stand it; you (and Matt) were the last straw for me.

Again, I congratulate you; you've managed to make the Melee scene smaller by one person. Keep it up, if you'd like, and I'm sure I won't be the last.

Your attitude is toxic.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Following Nintendude and bringing attention to this post. The underlined text is what is most important in my opinion.

Ok so good stuff guys. Here's a list of stuff that needs to go down now.

We need to have good showings at tournies where the FGC is involved. As pengie mentioned a few pages back, the next up coming tournament is NEC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on December 1st and 2nd. People should make a concerted effort to come out to this.

This is also a time for TO's and people within the community to come together to talk about improving our scene's, the quality of our recordings, etc etc. It's time to make some big plays here and actually live up to the hype that we are trying to show the FGC we have.

The absolute worst thing we can do is not back up all this talk we've laid out. Poor turnouts at tournaments, poorly run events, poor levels of professionalism from staff members and players alike. One big thing I know we need to avoid is having bad commentators. This is really applying to a lot of the NYC guys, whenever I see someone like Benny on the mic or something I think "oh boy, this is gonna get ugly real fast" and it always does.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm just going to say no to all of this, except what Max said. He's got a point.

I'm voting both melee and brawl for the smash community in all honesty. And how "voting brawl hurts the community" only applies to people who hate brawl and loves melee and seeing that mosg of the time is indescribable to me. We don't do this for things related to how competitive it is or whatever, we do this for the competitive only and the very fun behind it for all smash games.

If you want this community to really grow, stand together, not against.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I disagree about having to stand together, but i will say if u dont like brawl or you dont like melee thats fine but keep your opinions to yourself. While i dont think its necessary to stand together its definitely pointless to argue amongst ourselfs

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people would rather have brawl in evo, but they probably thought that brawl had no chance and 1 smash is better than none. Or they remember how badly the brawl scene embarrassed itself in evo07. Before the hate train gets going let me say I HATE brawl, but I have love for all my smash brethren.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
SO ABOUT THAT POLL

We're almost at 5000 votes

Pretty cool

n' stuff

Knew we'd get there

What else can we realistically do right now to try and improve our chances? Are there any steps we can be taking right this instant or do we need to turn our eyes to turnout at FGC+Smash crossover events or what?

Pengie

Smash Lord
SO ABOUT THAT POLL

We're almost at 5000 votes

Pretty cool

n' stuff

Knew we'd get there

What else can we realistically do right now to try and improve our chances? Are there any steps we can be taking right this instant or do we need to turn our eyes to turnout at FGC+Smash crossover events or what?
Off the top of my head:

-Go to NEC to show their TO's that the smash community is serious about playing along

-Don't be ****s about other games; you may think Melee is the be all end all of competitive games and that's totally your opinion, but there is nothing more off putting than a bunch of people who don't play any other game pop off about how much better Melee is. Hell, maybe you could even try out Marvel/AE/Tekken/Guilty Gear, who knows you might enjoy it and you'll help the community come off as mature and willing to cooperate.

-Melee players: Don't be ****s about Brawl. Seriously don't. Just let them do their own thing.

That's all that comes to mind at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom