• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Lengthy, so a bit apologetic, but it can't really be cut down much.
-------------------
It's amusing how long/short we go before we start disagreeing again. We are all the same side here guys. Although I doubt we've forgotten that.

For me I'm just waiting to see if they actually do put melee in the lineup. Until that moment, we have one thing in our control and therefore one goal: to ensure melee crushes this poll. We also have to remain vigilant on this, since there is no known shorter timetable to finish than when they announce the 2013 lineup; it could be open and relevant for months. If they do put it in the lineup, there will be sufficient time to work on other potential problems.

I'm concerned (along with probably most others) that they wouldn't've put it in the lineup regardless of how the poll turned out. But our community is still benefiting from those other guys clicking to vote and being surprised that SSBM has that many votes, not to mention winning, not to mention dominating.

I'm usually a more sober kind of fellow when it comes to victories like this, because it really is just a small victory as it stands now, (We're winning on online poll wooooo.) However it is significant for many reasons (age of our game/community, competition, size of lead, shattering expectations, etc.)

Now is the time to be proud of what we've done, and the solidarity our community has. Maybe you've been proud of this for more than a day, so you're ready to start being more practical--but not everyone has been, and remember how happy you were earlier. Don't bring them down. I am still tempted to write my concerns about how this won't amount to anything, but I think those are already understood by everyone--we've been around long enough to see far better opportunities than this pass. And because of that, I chose to emphasize what is going right, and ignore--at least in writing--what could go wrong.

clowsui

Smash Legend
For what it's worth, that's largely because the Brawl community didn't understand how to create a ruleset for a brand new game. Banned 800 things before even testing them, which you just don't do. Melee EVO events all had rulesets similar to MLG's rulesets at the time, which were close to the community standard.
For reasons I don't know why the records of our testing weren't released to the public. AZ + a few other BBR members did controlled testing that demonstrated items' tendency to spawn towards the losing player

Landry

Smash Ace
Keep it going guys - what an incredible turn out so far. I'd say this has to raise a few eyebrows from the Evo staff. At the very worst we're at least letting them know we still exist.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I had hoped to stick around until we passed four thousand, but I've got to fly. As of this writing, we're at 3972 votes, and I fully expect that we'll be a ways past four thousand by the time I get back. So very cool.

Max?

Smash Champion
Ok so good stuff guys. Here's a list of stuff that needs to go down now.

We need to have good showings at tournies where the FGC is involved. As pengie mentioned a few pages back, the next up coming tournament is NEC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on December 1st and 2nd. People should make a concerted effort to come out to this.

This is also a time for TO's and people within the community to come together to talk about improving our scene's, the quality of our recordings, etc etc. It's time to make some big plays here and actually live up to the hype that we are trying to show the FGC we have.

The absolute worst thing we can do is not back up all this talk we've laid out. Poor turnouts at tournaments, poorly run events, poor levels of professionalism from staff members and players alike. One big thing I know we need to avoid is having bad commentators. This is really applying to a lot of the NYC guys, whenever I see someone like Benny on the mic or something I think "oh boy, this is gonna get ugly real fast" and it always does.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@max they're looking for a big audience too. Obviously we can't all make it out but it's not hard to watch a stream so do your part and keep on smashing.

:phone:

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I can probably get another 20-30 from around campus these next couple of weeks.

This poll will likely go on for several months (consider when the lineup was released last year), so don't slow down.

Also, don't be afraid to get non-players to vote. Non-players still watch streams, so they will, and should, have an impact on the voting.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

We need to have good showings at tournies where the FGC is involved. As pengie mentioned a few pages back, the next up coming tournament is NEC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on December 1st and 2nd. People should make a concerted effort to come out to this.

This is also a time for TO's and people within the community to come together to talk about improving our scene's, the quality of our recordings, etc etc. It's time to make some big plays here and actually live up to the hype that we are trying to show the FGC we have.

The absolute worst thing we can do is not back up all this talk we've laid out. Poor turnouts at tournaments, poorly run events, poor levels of professionalism from staff members and players alike. One big thing I know we need to avoid is having bad commentators. This is really applying to a lot of the NYC guys, whenever I see someone like Benny on the mic or something I think "oh boy, this is gonna get ugly real fast" and it always does.
Quoting this for emphasis. OTG hit all the points.

Smooth Criminal

Twinkles

Smash Lord
EVO is a yearly (?) run fighting game tournament, probably the biggest that I've ever heard. Bolsters huge numbers of players and spectators alike and probably contains the biggest hype moments in fighting game history.

Unfortunately, this fighting game tournament hasn't done to well with regards to the smash community, seeing as how many FGC people don't consider smash in the same league as other fighting games, and also some ruleset divides between the EVO staff and the smash community (they ran a Brawl tournament in 2008 with items on).

This time around, they had a poll on Facebook to gauge the amount of interest in games other than the big ones (MVC3, SF4) in order to see which games to put in their tournament line-up. Both Melee and Brawl were in the Brawl, possibly more as jokes than serious considerations for the line-up.

In response, the Melee community got together in one of the greatest coordinated efforts I've ever seen and flooded the polls for EVO. At the current moment, Melee is the #1 most wanted game at EVO according the polls (winning over MVC3 AND SF4).

In short, though the Smash community did not agree much with EVO's way of running Smash events in the past, many of us would like to believe that we could try to reconcile differences and run Melee at EVO, which would introduce countless more people to competitive Melee and would possibly bring in a huge number of new players to our scene.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Could someone be so kind as to tell me what's happened? I just got on and i don't feel like looking through the last 25 pages.
Nothing really. Melee is in the lead in votes by a far margin, and now people are discussing what precautions and efforts that we should take in the event that melee DOES get added into the lineup (such as focusing on more professional events, larger turnouts, working with the EVO staff on stuff like CRT's, commentators, etc), although it is by no means guaranteed that that will happen.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice

Good commentators are important, especially when we're trying to show the FGC how much there is going on in Melee.
I think Wobbles does a good job of being very analytical. He does a very good job of explaining what's going on.

Edit: We also need to make it very clear that we want to use the MBR ruleset. WE should be the ones coming up with the rules, not the Evo staff.
I think it's a legitimate concern that we'll end up with items on hyrule if we don't speak out ahead of time.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Good commentators are important, especially when we're trying to show the FGC how much there is going on in Melee.
I think Wobbles does a good job of being very analytical. He does a very good job of explaining what's going on.

Edit: We also need to make it very clear that we want to use the MBR ruleset. WE should be the ones coming up with the rules, not the Evo staff.
I think it's a legitimate concern that we'll end up with items on hyrule if we don't speak out ahead of time.
wobbles would be the obvious pick for the main stream, but i think if we could get prog on another potential stream, that'd be a good choice. my favorite commentator is waffles, so whilst i'd love to have him commentate, i don't know if he's up for it, or if the community wants him to be the voice of smash. i would, but just a thought.

also why would EVO not work with smashboards and the MBR to create the EVO ruleset? that would seem highly irresponsible for tournament organizers that aren't very experienced with smash.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
wobbles would be the obvious pick for the main stream, but i think if we could get prog on another potential stream, that'd be a good choice. my favorite commentator is waffles, so whilst i'd love to have him commentate, i don't know if he's up for it, or if the community wants him to be the voice of smash. i would, but just a thought.

also why would EVO not work with smashboards and the MBR to create the EVO ruleset? that would seem highly irresponsible for tournament organizers that aren't very experienced with smash.
I love HMW, but his commentary is more hype than analytical. He assumes the audience already knows everything they need to. He would be all excited on the mic and the rest of the FGC would kind of be like, "wait, what just happened?"

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Waffles would be a good choice for a commentary at EVO. Don't get me wrong, I love his commentary, and he's imo THE one who hypes a match more than anybody else. But his commentary adresses mostly to our community, hence all the private jokes, and more generally all the out-of-the-game talk.

But at an event such as EVO, where one of the goals would be to get other communities interested in Smash, the commentary would have to be based on quick, simple explanations concerning (notably) the game's mechanics, interesting reads, explanations about the match-ups, the particularities of such or such stage, etc.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm hating on HMW, that's not what I want with this post. Plus, maybe he can perfectly be an excellent commentator for non-smashers, but from his commentary on matches I've watched, I think not.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Wife would be good. Waffles would be a bad choice unless he could display more professionalism (I'm sure he could, but its still something to be addressed).

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
(based on the top 10 voted games as of this post)

Melee has just over 20% of the vote.

The next largest game has just under 12%.

The next largest two games combined have only 800 more votes than Melee.

Melee continues to increase at an average of 40-per-hour (as of the past 3).

I am thoroughly impressed.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Most important thing is showing up. We need at LEAST a 300+ showing to prove we are legit.

Next, setups. From what I understand, Sony sponsors the event and provides ASUS monitors and PS3s. This makes switching between Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken and everything else very easy to do. As Melee players, not only do PS3s mean nothing to us, ASUS monitors mean nothing. This is quite possibly the biggest obsticle we face. Barring a miracle (Sony decides to hook us up with some Sony Trinitron CRTs? lol), we would be responsible for bringing all the setups for quite possibly the largest Melee tournament of all time.

Now... setups haven't been too much of a problem for us in the past.

The problem is space. We'd have to essentially move all the monitors and PS3s out of the way to make space for the CRTs and Gamecubes, while for other games, it's a simply press of the eject button on the PS3.

=/

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Please don't start discussing logistics just yet...we all know that it's a daunting task. For now, let's talk about what needs to be done to /get/ to Evo, and the amazing job the Smash community has done thus far.

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
Of course discussing logistics is important now. We can't just hope that they include Melee and then worry about everything later.

Just like the Canonns won't just add Melee and be like "oh yeah we only provide PS3s and ASUS monitors woops"

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
There are adapters you can get to hook up a gamecube to a monitor. They don't add any input lag and are a lot easier to travel with than a CRT.

They might be the best option we have in terms of setups.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
So hey, here's a bigger thing to worry about for you guys, Brawl is making a legitimate push in votes, but there's no way EVO and the FGC would run 2 smash events, and if both get enough votes they'd more likely just go with Brawl since it's newer and they dont see Melee/Brawl as two different communities.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
All we can really do is try to talk to whoever runs Evo and explain things.

I vote for Cactuar as ambassador

Edit: Cho, it won't remove lag if the display you connect it to already has it.
I haven't tried it though, so if your display is lagless and it lags with the adapter, then I guess we're back to square one.
I think Epsilon had a good idea though.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
There are adapters you can get to hook up a gamecube to a monitor. They don't add any input lag and are a lot easier to travel with than a CRT.

They might be the best option we have in terms of setups.
I've heard about these things. Lag free ones.

Anyone have like 100 to spare? :awesome:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Just got back from event hubs......they are not happy. Suprisingly, they are a bunch of people who do want to see smash at evo.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Just got back from event hubs......they are not happy. Suprisingly, they are a bunch of people who do want to see smash at evo.

I just read that too, does anybody have an account there. Making a new account would be viewed as a troll. But if somebody has an account could anybody make a legitimate argument over there? Those guys are seriously against smash being at evo

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't know. I was reading through it, and it seemed that Melee was getting a rather nice, "Let them play" sentiment. There were a few people that didn't like the idea, but many people were willing. In the words of one of them, "whatever your reasoning.....competitive Smash exists, so you'll just have to deal with it. the Smash community handles hate all the time, your opinion means nothing to them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom