• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I was reading through it, and it seemed that Melee was getting a rather nice, "Let them play" sentiment. There were a few people that didn't like the idea, but many people were willing. In the words of one of them, "whatever your reasoning.....competitive Smash exists, so you'll just have to deal with it. the Smash community handles hate all the time, your opinion means nothing to them."
True enough I read that one too, guess its stupid to want everybody to want melee to go there. Regardless hopefully we make it, were over 4200, thats gotta hit evo's staff sometime XD

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't know. I was reading through it, and it seemed that Melee was getting a rather nice, "Let them play" sentiment. There were a few people that didn't like the idea, but many people were willing. In the words of one of them, "whatever your reasoning.....competitive Smash exists, so you'll just have to deal with it. the Smash community handles hate all the time, your opinion means nothing to them."
Exactly.

Smooth Criminal

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I just read that too, does anybody have an account there. Making a new account would be viewed as a troll. But if somebody has an account could anybody make a legitimate argument over there? Those guys are seriously against smash being at evo
BAD, BAD, BAD IDEA

Yeah, some people are against smash at being EVO, and there will always be people to who are against the idea of "competitive" smash. Trying to argue against them would be like starting up an argument in the streamchat for a big tournament, it just ends up ugly and doesn't really serve any benefit.

I'm glad that people put their letters/reasons Melee should be at EVO on their facebook page, because we might actually reach out to people who care.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I went over and started reading since you guys mentiond event hub. Someone said melee only has votes because FGC trolls think its funny to upvote. Others saying its only a bunch of casuals voting who won't turn up and a lot of people hung up on the fact that our ruleset for some reason holds us back from being a fighter.

Remind me again why we want their recognition? Oh right, because not all of them are that bad. Someone's got to go over there and at least show that we organized this, it wasn't trolls or casuals, and we do plan on making it a well run tournament if at all possible. Of course, that would just raise more hell. Regardless, we've showed up pretty hard here, what's more fantastic is the comments on facebook, all are individual with real faces to them and melee is dominating there.

Revven

FrankerZ
It's generally better to avoid posting in the comments section of any FGC site, eventhubs or SRK mainly. Because they're all generally filled with trolls that won't take you seriously. It's a good idea to be the better man and just ignore them, focusing on what actually matters, which is making us known to the Evo Staff and somehow get some recognition out of this.

Don't forget, the masses think Melee is a dead game and that's why the people in the eventhubs comments section were like, "only FGC trolls upvoting it" and etc. People think Brawl is all Smashers play nowadays, with Melee on a much smaller spectrum/scale of players and/or with no players anymore.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Your absolutely right, I mean I knew this would happen and its kind of funny...something you can always count on I guess.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Your absolutely right, I mean I knew this would happen and its kind of funny...something you can always count on I guess.
Going through the facebook posts though we look like the most legit professional thing out there as far as our comments XD All we gotta to do now is keep it up

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So hey, here's a bigger thing to worry about for you guys, Brawl is making a legitimate push in votes, but there's no way EVO and the FGC would run 2 smash events, and if both get enough votes they'd more likely just go with Brawl since it's newer and they dont see Melee/Brawl as two different communities.
I know people in the fgc and they all know that melee and brawl are very different. I also often hear that most high/top level fgc players understand melee is a technical and deep game while brawl not so much. Its just more casual players in the fgc who think melee is a party game

:phone:

Revven

FrankerZ
I know people in the fgc and they all know that melee and brawl are very different. I also often hear that most high/top level fgc players understand melee is a technical and deep game while brawl not so much. Its just more casual players in the fgc who think melee is a party game

This is what I'm saying^ and we don't need to try and convince those more casual playing FGC guys (you know, the players who only play the games online and never actually travel anywhere).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Hey is there a twitter thing about this?

And imo are biggest problem is sony is a big sponsor and they may not want a nintendo game at evo

-Ran

Smash Master
I wrote a little bit on their wall.
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=478120525565348&id=156605564382

"I know that Smash in general gets a ton of flack from players around the fighting game community. At the end of the day, we're all playing video games. We all seek to find players that are better than us so that we can engage in joyful competition. Many people realize that, but a minority want to be placed on a special pedestal. They seek this by trying to purge other 'lesser games' from their genre. Some honestly believe that the inclusion of Melee as a Fighter lessens the quality of the games that are associated with it. It isn't a fair, or rational assessment due to numerous other 2d games being incredibly sub-par, and nothing more than distractions for a month or two before they are immediately phased out for something else. I could spend an entire day rattling off failed fighters that were herald as great intuitions before being dropped unceremoniously by the fighting game community.

Melee has longevity. Melee lives. Melee thrives."

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I never use twitter how do i show my melee support?

Just tweet.

Copypasta the link to your tweet and say something about it. Add followers like @smashboards or @clashtournament to increase the chances of it being seen by many.

Here's the basics if you're still having problems. Be sure to read everything.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Twitter

I wrote a little bit on their wall.
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=478120525565348&id=156605564382

"I know that Smash in general gets a ton of flack from players around the fighting game community. At the end of the day, we're all playing video games. We all seek to find players that are better than us so that we can engage in joyful competition. Many people realize that, but a minority want to be placed on a special pedestal. They seek this by trying to purge other 'lesser games' from their genre. Some honestly believe that the inclusion of Melee as a Fighter lessens the quality of the games that are associated with it. It isn't a fair, or rational assessment due to numerous other 2d games being incredibly sub-par, and nothing more than distractions for a month or two before they are immediately phased out for something else. I could spend an entire day rattling off failed fighters that were herald as great intuitions before being dropped unceremoniously by the fighting game community.

Melee has longevity. Melee lives. Melee thrives."
That feels more like asking for respect than proving worth or whatever. Just what I read out of it

V-K

Smash Ace
I like fighting games but for a very big part I don't like the FGC. I've read so much uneducated and prejudiced comments about Smash. Some people say the game is too simple because it only has two buttons...
It's kinda sad that many people see it like that when in fact Melee is faster and more dynamic than let's say SF4.

Having Melee at EVO would be epic so I hope not too many people vote for Brawl. While I accept people playing that game competitively I don't think it has a place at a major fighting game tournament because the game mechanics are too diversified from those of usual fighting games (and I personally don't think it's a good game in general).

But that they had Brawl with items in their lineup once is a bad sign. It is the mindset that MLG has as well. They don't listen to what the community wants, they rather feature what they think are the hot games.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
I like fighting games but for a very big part I don't like the FGC. I've read so much uneducated and prejudiced comments about Smash. Some people say the game is too simple because it only has two buttons...
It's kinda sad that many people see it like that when in fact Melee is faster and more dynamic than let's say SF4.

Having Melee at EVO would be epic so I hope not too many people vote for Brawl. While I accept people playing that game competitively I don't think it has a place at a major fighting game tournament because the game mechanics are too diversified from those of usual fighting games (and I personally don't think it's a good game in general).

But that they had Brawl with items in their lineup once is a bad sign. It is the mindset that MLG has as well. They don't listen to what the community wants, they rather feature what they think are the hot games.
Isn't it kind of wrong to not want brawl because its not enough like a fighting game when everybody says that about melee too XD

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Not wrong.

If you wanna see wrong, watch people discriminate instead of posting that brawl doesn't really have much of a competitive feel like melee has. Although, I can admit they can still be able to do some crazy **** in brawl that leads to a ton of hype like melee.

I play brawl mostly, so I know.
Played melee less though because kirby.

C.SDK

Smash Ace

So you point out that the FGC is ignorant towards Melee as a real fighting game, but you go on to act the same way about Brawl.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
if we get elected to be in evo's 2013 lineup Samox needs to put some official trailer of the melee documentary during the tournament so people who don't play smash can take a good look to our game :)

Vkrm

Smash Lord
People who think melee is 1 dimensional change their mind when confronted with convincing evidence for the contrary. Do you have any to present on brawls behalf? There's a major difference between what the FGC is doing and what most melee playing brawl bashers do. Most of the melee crowd actually know a fair bit about brawl, I'm actually of the mind that we know about brawl than most of it's less competitive players. Some of us have been around for over a decade and played brawl when it seemed that melee was finished. In short, the FGC faults melee for flaws it doesn't really have, most just jump on the trash talking band wagon and recite anti smash phrases that weren't even correct the day they were made. It different because most the smashers who dislike brawl, feel that way after giving it a chance and it failed to meet it's expectations.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
People who think melee is 1 dimensional change their mind when confronted with convincing evidence for the contrary. Do you have any to present on brawls behalf? There's a major difference between what the FGC is doing and what most melee playing brawl bashers do. Most of the melee crowd actually know a fair bit about brawl, I'm actually of the mind that we know about brawl than most of it's less competitive players. Some of us have been around for over a decade and played brawl when it seemed that melee was finished. In short, the FGC faults melee for flaws it doesn't really have, most just jump on the trash talking band wagon and recite anti smash phrases that weren't even correct the day they were made. It different because most the smashers who dislike brawl, feel that way after giving it a chance and it failed to meet it's expectations.

Have you heard that in order to win in Brawl you have to pick Meta Knight and spam B? It goes both ways, dude. Brawl isn't really 1 dimensional either and I get the feeling that despite you stating that you know a lot about brawl, you really don't. Or maybe you think you do but you don't. Just because someone played a bit at Brawl's launch, doesn't mean that they are good contenders on deciding whether Brawl is one dimensional or not. People who stuck to Brawl since launch and currently play can give a more well-rounded answer to that question.

Brawl with 3 stocks is not practical to run a tournament on. Drop it down to 2. Seriously, dudes. The time it takes to play 1 game of that game is a problem

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Tripping is random right?

GG's

I'm kidding guys. Brawl has it's own thing going. I don't like it but I understand some do. I'm cool with that. Smashers fo' life. We would not have done so well in the poll if not for some really great people who happen to play brawl.

I just think that game could be a better game for tournaments if players were willing to make 1 simple, major, change

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is random right?

GG's

I'm kidding guys. Brawl has it's own thing going. I don't like it but I understand some do. I'm cool with that. Smashers fo' life. We would not have done so well in the poll if not for some really great people who happen to play brawl.
Do you make ANY posts that aren't about Brawl? Seriously, when people say this isn't the topic for that, they don't just mean it's off-topic, they mean topics have gotten closed before for Brawl hate and this is a topic we'd prefer not to get closed just because you can't get off your Brawl hate train. There've been moments in the topic where no one was talking about Brawl and you started griping about it. I don't like the game either, but this isn't the topic for that. I swear, maybe the mods should make a hate forum (if they can even do that--is forum creation restricted to admins?) and move all anti-any-Smash-game-or-its-community-members-posts to said area.

Sigh.

Meanwhile, Melee is gaining on 4500 votes, let's see it hit 5000 before the weekend's out.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Brawl-hate from 99.95% of Melee players (who complain about it) is unjustified, ignorant, and makes me (among others, I'm sure) loathe to be a part of this community.

I took my vote for Melee away because of you, MattDotZeb, and you, VKRM. You aren't the basis of it, but you were the final straw. I have dealt with your type of ignorant bull**** for too long, and I am done.

Congratulations; you've managed to make the Melee community smaller by one person. Keep up the good work, and I hope you eventually realize how toxic your attitude is.

Ciao.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Ok so good stuff guys. Here's a list of stuff that needs to go down now.

We need to have good showings at tournies where the FGC is involved. As pengie mentioned a few pages back, the next up coming tournament is NEC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on December 1st and 2nd. People should make a concerted effort to come out to this.

This is also a time for TO's and people within the community to come together to talk about improving our scene's, the quality of our recordings, etc etc. It's time to make some big plays here and actually live up to the hype that we are trying to show the FGC we have.

The absolute worst thing we can do is not back up all this talk we've laid out. Poor turnouts at tournaments, poorly run events, poor levels of professionalism from staff members and players alike. One big thing I know we need to avoid is having bad commentators. This is really applying to a lot of the NYC guys, whenever I see someone like Benny on the mic or something I think "oh boy, this is gonna get ugly real fast" and it always does.
I want to bring this post up again for emphasis. One of the best posts in this thread.

oukd

Smash Lord
^ word, this should be our priority at the moment...possibly even higher than keeping melee on top of the poll considering having a good showing is like, a tangible thing to the evo guys.

link to thread again for the lazy

and drop the brawl talk, jesus christ who actually gives a flying **** about comparing our ****ing games in the middle of this :facepalm:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm doubting we'll get a full blown smash tournament at EVO.

But if at least we could get something like the Tournament of Legends they made for SSF2T at EVO2k12 it'd be so amazing. We'd run qualifiers around the world that would end up in a top 32 or 64 of superstars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom