• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
There's only two things really stoping melee at Evo, rounding up set ups, and Nintendo's policy regarding ads on stream. If they can sue, they probably will.

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
if you are adding on to the game with overlays and commentary, isn't it no longer nintendo's game to pull from the stream?

asking from legal NOT moral perspective, this is the general "youtube rule" i understood

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd normally say that since the original content itself (the gameplay footage) is going largely unmodified, that adding all the spinning rims shouldn't prevent it from being counted as copyrighted content. I'm not very familiar with legal loopholes, though.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Lots of people are making money off gameplay videos on YT. Adding commentary should cover it, making the video a transformative form of media, and that label it should keep it safe from most copyright claims. Still I bet Evo is too chicken **** to to piss off the big N and start a legal battle.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Melee is a game that has less chance of getting in with each passing year, not more. Also, Mortal Kombat was featured at EVO on the very year that it was released (and let's not kid ourselves here, almost none of its previous iterations had any true competitive merit). King of Fighters XIII took a while (two years), but is also still played on current hardware. Melee is now two generations behind and technically one series iteration behind, operating on hardware that can only output 480i and 480p. In addition it tends to lack sponsorship support from Nintendo...

While I agree with you and what you're saying is very likely to be true, I was merely attempting to be optimistic to help keep people motivated. Often times the biggest way a game gets hurt is when a community either gives up, or takes something for granted. For a short bit following EVO this year, the KOF community (at least from what I experienced) seemed to kind of take stuff for granted before starting the ball rolling again a bit later. And there's admittedly been my rather vocal disappointment with a bunch of the Blazblue community following EVO last year.

So while I personally don't think the chances of Melee getting back into EVO (it was there in 2007 along with Brawl in 2008) are remotely close to being high, I kind of feel like "who am I to try and yank the carpet out from under them?" and don't think doing so would accomplish anything positive or constructive towards their community.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't think nintendo would ever sue someone honestly, despite how much they don't like us. unless they already have, which I haven't heard of.

also, EVO is technically a private event and MLG is public. I remember seeing some EVO staff saying they wouldn't allow that brazzers sponsored guy into EVO simply because of his sponsor, MLG has no right to do that but EVO does.

I think the public vs. private changes the rules regarding streaming.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I don't think nintendo would ever sue someone honestly, despite how much they don't like us. unless they already have, which I haven't heard of.

also, EVO is technically a private event and MLG is public. I remember seeing some EVO staff saying they wouldn't allow that brazzers sponsored guy into EVO simply because of his sponsor, MLG has no right to do that but EVO does.

Evo has streamed both Melee and Brawl at past tournaments.

V-K

Smash Ace
wizard is terrible. he thought that new mexico and colorado are apart of texas. he wouldn't use rom as the only thing why melee won't get into evo but he would use rom as one as the reasons. the real reason is $$$ though.
If he is such an important person regarding this topic, I wouldn't publicly insult him on the internet.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

This is really our only tool. Nintendo would never want to be that company who sued a bunch of fans but they still could. They could claim our commentators are hurting their family friendly reputation or that we're profiting off of copy right materials. That's why abridged series make no money. They would never sue us, just give us a cease and desist, like pokemon did with smosh for their old video asking for it to be removed. Still though I doubt even that would happen, it's jut that they could if they wanted to.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Isn't nintendo trying to patch things up with the hard core? This would be their chance. I don't how many of you follow the gaming media, but just so you know, COD black ops just became the most successful franchise in human history by out selling star wars. That game is trash, but maybe nintendo will see how successful competitive video games can be.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Isn't nintendo trying to patch things up with the hard core? This would be their chance. I don't how many of you follow the gaming media, but just so you know, COD black ops just became the most successful franchise in human history by out selling star wars. That game is trash, but maybe nintendo will see how successful competitive video games can be.

Uh, it broke a launch day record(which it's done several years in a row). It isn't even close to the most successful franchise. It's up there as far as entertainment franchises go. It's also made more money life-date than starwars/LotR MOVIE sales, not their total franchise/worth.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
A 60$ and 10$ movie ticket are completely different investments. Are we talking about how many people own it, or how much money it made? Still, It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers are false since I heard about it from IGN.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
The Evo lineup was just announced, and the 8th game will be decided by the community. Apparently any game with over 500 votes on the FB pool will be able to donate to a breast cancer fund, and the community with the most donations will make it into the lineup.

Could be possible for Melee to get in? not sure, but it's interesting regardless.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Entirely possible...except some people don't care to pay to vote and all of Capcom games players might vote for an older version of their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom