• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
We should wait until like... After thanksgiving, like those few weeks before Christmas is super apparent

See if we can't get another thousand or 2 votes along the way too

:phone:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I actually have tony canon's email. I've been thinking whether or not to email him about it

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
If anyone would like to compose a community email for me that would be awesome. The main reason I haven't emailed him yet is because I have very poor writing skills

Life

Smash Hero
Dear (name),

Super Smash Bros Melee topped the Facebook poll asking what games people wanted to see at EVO. The (Smash/Melee) community led a major campaign for votes, thinking it would help bring attention to our game.

Do we have a chance of being included in the next EVO? What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
(Smashboards/Smash community/Melee community/etc.)

------

How's that for a rough draft?

I wasn't sure whether to say "Smash community" or "Melee community" since on one hand it's probably important to put as much focus on Melee as possible, but on the other hand the Brawl players helped out too (and you all know how I feel about the broken base by now, I'm sure).

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Just say melee community for now, we are the ones who topped the poll, they'll see brawl too, what we're asking for is an update/attention.

Your letter is good life, I agree we should keep it short instead of writing an essay on why our game is as good as any, IMO you should replace "bring attention to our community" with get our game into evo/boast large attendance and viewership. Show that we plan on making the most of it, but you definitely have to include major campaign, show them it wasn't casuals and trolls voting for smash like weeaboos want it to be.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
We ****ed up at RoM.

The FGC saw us **** up.

The man that decides whether or not Smash enters EVO or not, Mr. Wizard himself, saw us **** up.

He even tweeted about it.

So if we want any chance at redemption, we NEED a strong showing at NEC. We have to show that we mean business. Here's the thread.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'd honestly like a better letter than that.

no offense, but we need a long letter to make our point. a letter to an EVO organizer that just asks, "hey what are your thoughts on melee" is absolutely pointless and he won't even respond to it.

and now especially we need to include something about ROM. I'd like Juggleguy to write something since he's very articulate.

also, can anyone find me a bunch of pictures of smashers just chilin' or having fun without smash in the picture.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I wish you guys luck in your campaign in getting Melee into EVO and hope that your attempts will strengthen the community as a whole and make it further unified.

However, that being said...I can't really say I support it going in as I've been campaigning to get Blazblue, King of Fighters XIII, Tekken Tag 2, and to a lesser extent possibly Persona 4 Arena (if the new Blazblue is unfortunately not out in time) into EVO and supporting a game that would take one of their spots would be counterproductive. With that being said, I got nothing but best wishes for you guys on your attempts on legitimizing Melee in the FGC.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How did we **** up at rom I wasn't paying attention to whatever happened apparently
And never saw finals or anything unfortunately

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
How did we **** up at rom I wasn't paying attention to whatever happened apparently
And never saw finals or anything unfortunately
Pot splitting, Rule misunderstandings between M2k and Unknown522, TO troubles, general tourney misunderstandings. from what I understand we left a bad impression on a lot of the stream monsters, including many people high in the FGC community ( the head of EVO.)

We were on the front page of Twitch and had a very poor showing.

progs say on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ayEcHWjYH_I

My comment I wrote on prog's video

My opinion might be stupid, but I blame the stream. Why were so many games pushed on the stream? This tournament got delayed so hard because of it. Things ran really late, people got really tired. It was not enjoyable. The tournament running well should always be 1st priority. Getting as many cool sets streamed/recorded as possible is never what's most important. At most, I think only top 4 (finals and semis) or 6 (also include LQ) should be seen on the internet. Do few things but do them well

Doser

Smash Ace
Have you ever watched other games? They manage to stream many more matches with less problems. Don't act like the smash community is trying to break new ground by streaming more than 8 matches. Only streaming the finals would net fewer viewers and wouldn't build up hype.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Have you ever watched other games? They manage to stream many more matches with less problems. Don't act like the smash community is trying to break new ground by streaming more than 8 matches. Only streaming the finals would net fewer viewers and wouldn't build up hype.

Yeah, I do have to agree with this. The example I would kind of use would be EVO this year. It streamed a LOT of matches from KOFXIII, UMVC3, AE2012, MK9, and Soul Calibur V along with the Top 8 being streamed on the last day. With Street Fighter X Tekken, it ONLY streamed the top 4 (or it might have even been just top 3) teams and while you could obviously say that "SFxT was never going to be hype to begin with", I don't feel that showing only the Top 4 helped it in any way. As well, Atlus Fighting Championships on the weekend aired a large amount of the KOFXIII matches before Top 8 and almost the entire Winner's Side of Persona 4 Arena past a certain point.

And this may sound odd to say but, a number of people in the Melee scene pushing to get Melee legitimized and have more exposure are kind of reminding me a little bit of the KOF scene at this time last year with all the hard work they put into getting KOFXIII at EVO. I know I was proud as hell of them for that, and while your efforts may not land Melee being a main attraction game (aka "Main 5 or Main 6"), it's possible you might wind up getting a side tournament there with the Top 4 or Grand Finals or something shown as a sort of compromise and testing grounds to see how it would be received, which, while not a total victory, would certainly be something I'd hope that you guys would see as a step in the right direction and something that would help keep the fire burning and ignite it more.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Multi-streams take a substantial amount of bandwidth that most venues available for grassroots-level tournaments simply don't provide.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Multi-streams take a substantial amount of bandwidth that most venues available for grassroots-level tournaments simply don't provide.
Yep. We need to provide something different in our streams that no one else does at this point. I have an idea as to what it is, and I'll be sketching it out soon.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Multi-streams are the future

Yeah, that's probably true. However, I think sometimes the issue is Streaming Equipment (while something I'm admittedly not familiar with) is hardly something that sounds as if it would be cheap to get. That being said though, maybe you could have like...2 streaming sites partner on covering a Smash major together or something? It's probably already been done, but I'm just thinking on things to raise awareness, and if you wanted to entice the EVO officials to let you have something, if they didn't have to use their own stream equipment it might help?

prog

Yeah, that's probably true. However, I think sometimes the issue is Streaming Equipment (while something I'm admittedly not familiar with) is hardly something that sounds as if it would be cheap to get. That being said though, maybe you could have like...2 streaming sites partner on covering a Smash major together or something? It's probably already been done, but I'm just thinking on things to raise awareness, and if you wanted to entice the EVO officials to let you have something, if they didn't have to use their own stream equipment it might help?
We are having something like that at NEC with ClashTournaments and Videogamebootcamp simultaneously streaming Melee and Brawl. We have superb streamers in our community, we have to be willing to use them.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
We are having something like that at NEC with ClashTournaments and Videogamebootcamp simultaneously streaming Melee and Brawl. We have superb streamers in our community, we have to be willing to use them.

All right, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Good luck on that and I hope it works out.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but everything I've heard about this Mr. Wizard guy makes me think he's a close-minded Smash hater.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but everything I've heard about this Mr. Wizard guy makes me think he's a close-minded Smash hater.

Well, Mr.Wizard isn't exactly known for being honest and non-hypocritical. There's a chat log out there of him explicitly hating on SFxT and P4A on account of not being good at them, and he's flat out lied about some things related to EVO before so...

The Star King

Smash Hero
He's just terrible.

If he uses ROM as an excuse for not including Melee in EVO, even if NEC goes well, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
He's just terrible.

If he uses ROM as an excuse for not including Melee in EVO, even if NEC goes well, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.
wizard is terrible. he thought that new mexico and colorado are apart of texas. he wouldn't use rom as the only thing why melee won't get into evo but he would use rom as one as the reasons. the real reason is $$$ though.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
If anyone would like to compose a community email for me that would be awesome. The main reason I haven't emailed him yet is because I have very poor writing skills

There are few very good posts in this thread that were also posted on Evos Facebook wall to serve a similar purpose as the email. You should take a look at them :)

prog

wizard is terrible. he thought that new mexico and colorado are apart of texas. he wouldn't use rom as the only thing why melee won't get into evo but he would use rom as one as the reasons. the real reason is $$$ though.
That doesn't matter, no one is infallible.

When you refer to money being a reason, that I can see. Melee isn't a big money game in terms of income from tournaments. Also, I'll say it again, the man likes standardization. Sony sponsors the event, each PS3 is on the same firmware, on the same game version with the same model ASUS? monitor. We don't have that type of standard in terms of game version (hell, although it doesn't make much of a difference, we're running tournaments off Wii and Gamecubes). Let alone the difficulty now of gathering enough CRT televisions to run a tournament (if we got more than 4 of the same model without purchasing them outright, I'd be very surprised).

I think that EVO is out of reach, personally, but its a great impetus for us to improve as a community to get our act together, whether or not we get it.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

When you refer to money being a reason, that I can see. Melee isn't a big money game in terms of income from tournaments. Also, I'll say it again, the man likes standardization. Sony sponsors the event, each PS3 is on the same firmware, on the same game version with the same model ASUS? monitor. We don't have that type of standard in terms of game version (hell, although it doesn't make much of a difference, we're running tournaments off Wii and Gamecubes). Let alone the difficulty now of gathering enough CRT televisions to run a tournament (if we got more than 4 of the same model without purchasing them outright, I'd be very surprised).

I think that EVO is out of reach, personally, but its a great impetus for us to improve as a community to get our act together, whether or not we get it.

My Personal opinion is that I think EVO may be out of reach for 2013, BUT that if you as a community are serious about it and stick to it, then you can make it happen one of these years. Plenty of well known series like MK, Soul Calibur, and KOF had to take a good while before they finally got featured. EVO is always going to be a battle to see what can get in.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm

i agree with this. i don't think anyone on the evo staff would want to buy like 40+ of the same crt and matching amount of wiis. i'm pretty sure they sold all of that stuff after evo 2010. not only that, even if melee got into the main lineup next year nintendo probably wouldn't play ball with evo (whereas sega, atlus, nether realms etc.) would; companies getting involved with evo is a pretty big part in what game are in the main lineup

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My Personal opinion is that I think EVO may be out of reach for 2013, BUT that if you as a community are serious about it and stick to it, then you can make it happen one of these years. Plenty of well known series like MK, Soul Calibur, and KOF had to take a good while before they finally got featured. EVO is always going to be a battle to see what can get in.
Melee is a game that has less chance of getting in with each passing year, not more. Also, Mortal Kombat was featured at EVO on the very year that it was released (and let's not kid ourselves here, almost none of its previous iterations had any true competitive merit). King of Fighters XIII took a while (two years), but is also still played on current hardware. Melee is now two generations behind and technically one series iteration behind, operating on hardware that can only output 480i and 480p. In addition it tends to lack sponsorship support from Nintendo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom