• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
i feel like all this animosity between smash and the FGC, and especially melee and brawl is so over-exaggerated and worn out, that it's useless at this point.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Bones0 is so hot right now! Bones0!

I can only imagine the backlash EVO could receive if they just brush off the results of the poll and went on ahead in making their own line-up for games that didn't do so well on it!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Emily (Doll666) showed me text messages from Atlus once at APEX and they all ended in exclamation points as well. It was hilarious.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Bones0 is so hot right now! Bones0!

I can only imagine the backlash EVO could receive if they just brush off the results of the poll and went on ahead in making their own line-up for games that didn't do so well on it!
You mean like when they'll probably run UMvC3 on PS3s again despite many complaints of the game lagging on that console, and how they'll probably run PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale because if Sony's sponsoring EVO hard enough to run everything on PS3's, they might as well cough up a bit more to run their flagship mascot title too? Or how SFxT's possibly gonna be in next year's lineup anyway because Capcom is really pushing it hard as its most current title?

...Nah, that'll never happen.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'm sure we'll be able to take SF4's spot. I mean just LOOK at the votes! Of course KOF's making a push and that sony thing is a big problem. I guess we'll have to wait and see, and keep fighting.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
In other news, those of you that check Melee Discussion will have noticed that a Street Fighter player by the name of Atomi has made an account here after seeing the success of our voting campaign and has made a topic asking for advice on how to get started in Melee, which to me means we succeeded. Someone with a self-proclaimed bias against Melee was impressed enough by our poll results that he's going to try it out. That's astonishingly cool, and hopefully it means there are some other people whose perceptions are at least being altered a bit.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
... why not do it yourself? The topic is on the front page of Melee Discussion. :p

He's been referred to Wak's Advanced How to Play vids and such.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I hope that all of this attention will in fact foster some more respect for smash at the least, and possibly get us into larger FGC nationals.

Maybe if we get into EVO it will even get MLG to take us seriously again. Or at least stop taking away features from Smashboards and recognize that the melee community is stable, and dedicated to an undying game.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I hope that all of this attention will in fact foster some more respect for smash at the least, and possibly get us into larger FGC nationals.

Maybe if we get into EVO it will even get MLG to take us seriously again. Or at least stop taking away features from Smashboards and recognize that the melee community is stable, and dedicated to an undying game.
What people gotta remember is the traditional FGC is full of people who will discard smash at its image. They'll see the rainbows on dreamland and just go "HEH GAAAAAYEEEE" and dismiss it completely because it doesn't pander to their specific mindset of what a fighting game should be.

I hate the FGC, I'd rather not affiliate with their dumb ***** but we do need the help to make the community grow so w/e.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
What stages do you think might appeal to the FCG? Planet Zebes? It's so gruely looking. What about characters? Perhaps Captain Falcon. He's a human and he's muscly so there we go. :awesome:

Pritch

Smash Lord
Honestly bro, you're welcome to your opinions and all, but the last couple of days have obviously gotten us a lot of attention and this atomi guy is probably not going to be the last person to wander over here as a result of that poll. They might just find their way into the thread discussing said poll.

And it would suck if their first impression of our community was someone calling them a dumb *****. Just sayin'

EDIT: Or to put it another way, which of these 2 statements is the more negative one?

What people gotta remember is the traditional FGC is full of people who will discard smash at its image. They'll see the rainbows on dreamland and just go "HEH GAAAAAYEEEE" and dismiss it completely because it doesn't pander to their specific mindset of what a fighting game should be.

I hate the FGC, I'd rather not affiliate with their dumb ***** but we do need the help to make the community grow so w/e.
hey guys

i play ssf4. lets be real for a moment; smash bros is a joke to the majority of our community. there is the "lol at least its not smash bros" gag being thrown out there every once in a while

im biased against your game. im self aware enough to admit that. all ive heard is that its bad, and its a completely different system from the fighter games that ive played. plus, i find it hard to take a fighting game with peach seriously (lol). when i saw melee as an option on the evo poll the first hour it was up, i laughed.

as comfortable as it is to hold onto bias, the simple truth is...you are crushing the poll. no, youre dominating it. i wasnt even aware that smash bros melee had a competitive scene, let alone one that was 11 years old! then you went and ****ing garnered 4,000 votes in 2 days? more than that, you actually have widespread support of high level matches being at evo.

im not a fan of the philosophy of "ive never played that game, but omg its so bad". im willing to give it a shot. in fact, the facebook poll results have convinced me to give it a shot. so, for the next 5 months, im going to be giving ssbm my best effort. lol i put a number on it, because i know that ill get mad sometime along the way, and thatll make me stop if i dont have a time set :p

unfortunately, i have absolutely no idea where to start. i bought a gamecube today (shouting out to my local dave's video, $30.00 for a gamecube and controller), and im getting a copy of ssbm tomorrow. i took a look at your faq, and your basics threads dont tell me a lot

my basics are probably really basic lol, so...hey, im Atomi. where do i start?

C.SDK

Smash Ace

Come at me bros. I challenge anyone to get a higher number of FB friends to vote for this thing.
That's great and all, but will your friends attend upcoming tournaments? It's not a really good idea to have a bunch of people that don't even play Smash vote on the poll if they won't also back up tournament attendance where it matters.

kd-

Smash Lord
We're usually pretty good about attending tournaments, Michigan's attendance rate played a part in allowing us/Juggleguy to host The Road to Apex: The Big House (1)

Edit: Not that all of his friends are from Michigan <_< Definitely some road warriors in there, i.e. the Pittsburgh crew

Also, love the name. Part 2 is probably my favorite

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
That's great and all, but will your friends attend upcoming tournaments? It's not a really good idea to have a bunch of people that don't even play Smash vote on the poll if they won't also back up tournament attendance where it matters.
It's not just about tournament attendance. It's about livestream attendance.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i feel like all this animosity between smash and the FGC, and especially melee and brawl is so over-exaggerated and worn out, that it's useless at this point.
u guys are all silly

pretty easy to see the only "animosity" comes from random SRK n00bs raging at random smashboards n00bs

people who are actually good at games know melee is ****

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Also, love the name. Part 2 is probably my favorite

It's not just about tournament attendance. It's about livestream attendance.
Is it? Maybe it'd be a good thing to have a lot of viewers on Smash streams, but I dunno, if I were EVO, I would prefer having a large attendance at my tournaments than a lot viewers on my livestream because in the end, the tournament attendees create the entertainment and pretty much make up what EVO is today. So if I were EVO and I'm looking at Smash tournaments to see if Smash might be worthwile to add to the lineup, I would pay close attention to tournament turnouts moreso than livestream viewers.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
If you read the FGC threads on this, they're more worried about smash being on stream/smash bringing large audiences on stream in their arguments. They'll make more money off of us watching ads on their stream than they would at the tournament since they can't take from the pot and have to pay for the venue. They get sponsored and are more worried with the 'best' competition and most viewers than 1000 entrants who don't play very well showing up. Of course attendance is still needed, we can't let 40 people show up, it has to be in the hundreds but that's not the only thing they're looking for, if they were we'd be in every year and it'd be advertised to casuals.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
No, no, I'm talking about tournaments right now. Tournaments that we as a grassroot community are hosting; not EVO. It just would make sense to have large turnouts in our tournaments in light of the recent EVO poll. Great, we have a bunch of votes on Facebook. Now let's show them we mean business by having large turnouts at tournaments.

There's a tournament happening in my area and someone put it very nicely and I paraphrase:

"If you live in SoCal (because the tournament is in SoCal) and voted for Melee on the EVO poll and you don't go to the tournament, you're an *******"

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
The first page has a lot of scrubby comments, but some a very positive about Smash. If any of you have an SA account, help them understand! :)

Branch
October 30, 2012 - 2:15am
Neither. Smash bros shouldn't be played at a competitive level because the whole point of the game is that it's a frantic fighter with items used and from what I've seen smash bros tournaments always come down to people playing as metaknight or fox on final destination with no items which makes it uninteresting to me... sorry I'll pass on this but if I had to I'd vote melee
Nope. I aint reading a thing more. Well, at least the last sentence is kind of correctish

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
"I voted for brawl because I'm sick of seeing just fox, falco, marth at the top level of melee"

because brawl has such a diverse S tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom