• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Why did brawl score so low? It's newer more popular game I'm told. Also Stevo tried to start a thread aimed at talking about brawl. It was a damn good thread but hylian got mad salty when brawl players did not do a good job of defending themselves. It was closed afterwards.

:phone:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why did brawl score so low? It's newer more popular game I'm told. Also Stevo tried to start a thread aimed at talking about brawl. It was a damn good thread but hylian got mad salty when brawl players did not do a good job of defending themselves. It was closed afterwards.

brawl may be the newer game and more popular, but even brawl exclusive players admit that melee is more entertaining to watch

Revven

FrankerZ
It doesn't seem like they're going to talk about it. I feel the fact it was never reported on SRK it won't be talked about on any of the major FGC shows (such as Cross Counter, WakeUp SRK, the Li Joe show etc.)

Maybe they'll mention it at the end, but the title of the episode leads one to believe they're not going to cover it (because an amazing tournament happened this past weekend and frankly, that's much more important to them than Melee being at the top of an Evo facebook poll).

Stevo

Smash Champion

I still think we the smash community as a whole need to talk about this. I don't know why the mods couldn't just give out warnings instead of closing the whole thread, and infractions for repeat offenders if necessary.

It's obviously still a heated topic right now (especially since this evo poll came out!)

Myztek

Smash Ace
This really needs to happen.

Who do we need to contact to get the ball rolling on this? Cause I know a poll by itself isn't going to do the job. (or maybe it will ;P)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I still think we the smash community as a whole need to talk about this. I don't know why the mods couldn't just give out warnings instead of closing the whole thread, and infractions for repeat offenders if necessary.

It's obviously still a heated topic right now (especially since this evo poll came out!)
The only mod who had a problem with it was Hylian. The problem is that a barlw player shouldn't be a mod in the Melee section. He basically got butthurt people were criticizing barlw and closed the thread (just read the last post).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technically, he's not a mod in the Melee section, he's an admin and thus has global moderation capabilities.

The thread was less discussion and more an excuse for Melee guys to take shots at Brawl... which I guess was pretty much the point of the thread, but it certainly wasn't accomplishing much beyond that.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Why does this discussion keep derailing because neurotic ****heads can't shelve their Brawl hate long enough to think about Melee

Like, seriously, do you really love Melee less than you hate Brawl

****'s sake

This is not the time for this

Nor the place

I don't like Brawl at all either, but damn, someone needs to just go start a "Bashboards" forum where everyone can go hate on the Smash game of their choosing, and the mods here can take all hate-centric posts and magically redirect them there somehow

(if Bashboards does not already exist and someone makes a forum with that title after seeing this post, I would like creative credit and also mod status on Bashboards)

SO

ABOUT

THAT

POLL

With a tiny bit more effort it's not unreasonable to assume we could have double the nearest competitor, which is neat, and in my opinion would be the threshold past which we could definitively say that we destroyed the poll in obscenely convincing fashion.

Keep posting those lines of support. If anyone says anything dumb about Melee, don't be disrespectful. Don't just be all "dude you're a ****ing idiot melee da bess" and stuff like that, post a decently well-reasoned retort and try to avoid calling the other person stupid and stuff. :p Saying they don't know much about the scene or something is one thing, but phrase everything so that you sound like an intelligent representative of the community rather than a stream monster.

Bones0

Smash Legend
But who cares? There's no argument going on. If Melee players want to discuss why barlw is inferior, I don't see the problem. If barlw players made a thread about why they didn't like Melee, I wouldn't care because it'd be in barlw discussion.

Also, people can act like discussing barlw is irrelevant to the point of the poll, but it isn't. barlw as a blemish on our community's awesome fighting game is a huge deal that need to be addressed. If the FGC doesn't understand that there's a difference between Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. barlw, then of course they're going to treat our game like a frantic item-whoring kiddy fighter. I'm also not suggesting we go around bashing barlw 24/7, but I think there's a certain point where Melee players have to stop respecting barlw as a legitimate successor to Melee or else we will sink or swim together (and barlw's sinking like the god damn Titanic with each day closer we get to Smash 4).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
But who cares? There's no argument going on. If Melee players want to discuss why barlw is inferior, I don't see the problem. If barlw players made a thread about why they didn't like Melee, I wouldn't care because it'd be in barlw discussion.

Also, people can act like discussing barlw is irrelevant to the point of the poll, but it isn't. barlw as a blemish on our community's awesome fighting game is a huge deal that need to be addressed. If the FGC doesn't understand that there's a difference between Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. barlw, then of course they're going to treat our game like a frantic item-whoring kiddy fighter. I'm also not suggesting we go around bashing barlw 24/7, but I think there's a certain point where Melee players have to stop respecting barlw as a legitimate successor to Melee or else we will sink or swim together (and barlw's sinking like the god damn Titanic with each day closer we get to Smash 4).
Well, I'm sure glad that in addition to being an insular community we're also a divided one. Do you have an SRK account? You should go tell the FGC that they're potentially too ******** to tell the difference between two games that are on different platforms and released seven years apart from each other. Thank god they have you to educate them!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well, I'm sure glad that in addition to being an insular community we're also a divided one. Do you have an SRK account? You should go tell the FGC that they're potentially too ******** to tell the difference between two games that are on different platforms and released seven years apart from each other. Thank god they have you to educate them!
Idk if you've seen many of the posts about the poll by the FGC noobs, but this actually IS the case. The majority of the FGC is literally so unfamiliar with the series that when people talk about barlw, they associate those same elements with the entire Smash series because most fighting game series barely change between each iteration relative to Smash's leaps and bounds from 64 to Melee to barlw.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Idk if you've seen many of the posts about the poll by the FGC noobs, but this actually IS the case. The majority of the FGC is literally so unfamiliar with the series that when people talk about barlw, they associate those same elements with the entire Smash series because most fighting game series barely change between each iteration relative to Smash's leaps and bounds from 64 to Melee to barlw.
You must not play other fighters much.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I have played traditional fighters for less than 15 mins in my entire life.
So basically you're assuming that people who play traditional fighters have the same mentality towards Smash that you do towards the games they play? :p

Let's talk about how we can make this happen instead of talking about useless crap.

Anyone who has actually played both Smash-style and traditional-style fighters should have a respect for the intricacies of each. They're both very technical. Just different.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You must not play other fighters much.
Persona isnt a fighter......

Kidding. Anyways, In traditional fighting games, when sequels get made, it's always all about updating a beloved formula. Brawl said **** that, and tossed features we love and replaced them with some of the dumbest ideas in video games ever. No l cancel or dash dance. tripping and footstool. ****s hella dumb. Brawls a bad game, and that's gay but that means I just don't play it. Problem solved. Doesnt really bug me any more. What Bothers me is this stigma on talking about brawl. SWF is the only place there it's taboo. This is the one place where it should be talked about openly because this is the competitive center of smash after all.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Persona isnt a fighter......

Kidding. Anyways, In traditional fighting games, when sequels get made, it's always all about updating a beloved formula. Brawl said **** that, and tossed features we love and replaced them with some of the dumbest ideas in video games ever. No l cancel or dash dance. tripping and footstool. ****s hella dumb. Brawls a bad game, and that's gay but that means I just don't play it. Problem solved. Doesnt really bug me any more. What Bothers me is this stigma on talking about brawl. SWF is the only place there it's taboo. This is the one place where it should be talked about openly because this is the competitive center of smash after all.

Forum title: "Melee Discussion"
Proposed topic of discussion: "Brawl"

/disconnect

Another thing RE: the poll is to, if posting vids, maybe consider posting a good vid from FC or something, where there was a good mix of professional commentary for people with weaker understandings of the game AND a decent amount of crowd hype. Any tourney similar to this would do (Pound IV?).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Persona 4 Arena's fairly straightforward and poverty as far as fighters go, especially anime fighters, but it's whatever.

When Street Fighter 4 was made, would you really call it an update from 3rd Strike?
How about going from Alpha to EX, or even from 2 to Alpha?

Yeah, there's plenty of things people don't like about Brawl, but it's not like any site dedicates entire threads to how Soul Calibur 3 nearly killed the community for the entire series, and as far as I've seen a section of the Melee community is the only one who wants to continue talking **** about a game four years after the fact.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
i wish i could marry melee.
11 years and going strong, I love melee more than Kim Kardashian could love her husband.

Anyways, We've obviously slowed down now, we're barely hitting 100 per day. This was to be expected and we're very comfortably ahead...but if we could set a goal could it be 9001? I'd hate for it to be 8999.

Beat!

Smash Master
Legalizing marriage between humans and melee is a slippery slope! Before long, we'll have people wanting to marry brawl!

Life

Smash Hero
Legalizing marriage between humans and melee is a slippery slope! Before long, we'll have people wanting to marry brawl!
I admit that while this whole discussion has me severely annoyed, I had to laugh at this. +1 internets

Looks like the poll is more or less over. Not locked, but nothing's moved since the last time I checked. I wanna see if Melee can double KoF though.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Even if sf3ts is a better game than sf4, both games are still fun. Not like brawl. Also don't feel bad if you like to bash brawl. Sakurai freaking betrayed us and you should be pissed. He led us on for seven years promising to deliver the sequel to the game we've dedicated 1000's of hours to mastering and he did a ****ty job. It's not like he tried and failed to build a worthy sequel. Id have more respect for him if in his heart he intended to do a real sequel but for one reason or another he found too challenging. He had made up his mind to turn his back on us from the get go. So I say go ahead and **** on brawl, that's precisely what it deserves.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Even if sf3ts is a better game than sf4, both games are still fun. Not like brawl. Also don't feel bad if you like to bash brawl. Sakurai freaking betrayed us and you should be pissed. He led us on for seven years promising to deliver the sequel to the game we've dedicated 1000's of hours to mastering and he did a ****ty job. It's not like he tried and failed to build a worthy sequel. Id have more respect for him if in his heart he intended to do a real sequel but for one reason or another he found too challenging. He had made up his mind to turn his back on us from the get go. So I say go ahead and **** on brawl, that's precisely what it deserves.

Dude stop running circles it's tiring to see.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
So if Melee DID somehow get accepted to Evo, who else would trying to make travel plans as soon as they announced it? If it happened, and the community actually came out for it, I'd definitely try to go, and at the very least support a good player fund if I couldn't make it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The only mod who had a problem with it was Hylian. The problem is that a barlw player shouldn't be a mod in the Melee section. He basically got butthurt people were criticizing barlw and closed the thread (just read the last post).
Huh? I like melee more than brawl, I've played melee longer than 99% of the current melee players(including you probably) and I no longer play brawl. Brawl vs Melee talk is banned on smashboards. It's been that way since 2008. Every thread made for that specific topic has been shut down right away. I let this thread stay open to let people discuss it and there were some really good posts but it just degenerated into random 1 liners taking shots at brawl. I'm not going to sit there and infract people over and over for saying they don't like a game instead of contributing to the conversation when the topic shouldn't be there in the first place.

Also, just because I closed it doesn't mean I was the only one who had a problem with it.

Technically, he's not a mod in the Melee section, he's an admin and thus has global moderation capabilities.

The thread was less discussion and more an excuse for Melee guys to take shots at Brawl... which I guess was pretty much the point of the thread, but it certainly wasn't accomplishing much beyond that.
^^^^^^^

I'm all for accomplishing things and bolstering the smash community. That thread was not helping that agenda.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
So if Melee DID somehow get accepted to Evo, who else would trying to make travel plans as soon as they announced it? If it happened, and the community actually came out for it, I'd definitely try to go, and at the very least support a good player fund if I couldn't make it.
Probably would try to go there.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You could not have closed the thread at a worse time. Dettadeus asked for a bunch of reasons why melee is better then brawl. I was mad ready to list a few. Any chance the thread could be re opened? I'll be good, promise. Did anyone notice that people who tried to defend brawl just popped in, spouted off that melee players were immature and comparing the two won't yield anything significant, (ignoring any and all of the points made against brawl) then scurried out the thread so they wouldn't have to defend themselves against what the other side had to say about the points made? (lol mental aspects)

Bones0

Smash Legend
So basically you're assuming that people who play traditional fighters have the same mentality towards Smash that you do towards the games they play? :p

Let's talk about how we can make this happen instead of talking about useless crap.

Anyone who has actually played both Smash-style and traditional-style fighters should have a respect for the intricacies of each. They're both very technical. Just different.
Despite my ignorance, I have the utmost respect for other fighters because it doesn't take long for any competent person to realize which games foster skill and innovation and which do not. I'm also not assuming anything about people who play traditional fighters. They demonstrate time and time again how they view the Smash series, and all I'm saying is if we let them believe Melee and barlw are basically the same, we're pretty much asking for that kind of criticism.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Players who obsessively bash Brawl are still processing the psychological trauma of Brawl not being Melee 2.0.

Get over it, it's 2012

We got Project M and SD Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom