• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Discussion & Character Rankings

Splice

Smash Hero
no brinstar is ******** 4 evry1 that is why u make it illegal.

shud ban brawl makes more sense then ban MK
Cuz u kno which 1 is more broken hey
it ain't MK

Splice

Smash Hero
zzz

There were 905 voters in this pole

There are well over 2,000 people on SWF
and well over 2,000 people that play Brawl

The majority doesn't give a damn.

So don't take any action towards MK and his current state of being legal.
That is AT LEAST as logical as you for bothering with this poll or movement in general. I feel bad just talking to you about it, even now.

But really,
Doesn't even matter in Australia. zzz you guys zzz

Splice

Smash Hero
Pretty much. But I just thought of something :D

Hey Shaya does this not imply that any tourney with MK legal cant be stickied or whatever?

Unless that rule of "only Unity Ruleset tournies can be stickied" was abolished, or, a dream.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Meta Knight hasn't actually been banned yet, but if the ban is put in place, then yes, stickies would require an MK ban.

It's worth noting that there is a loophole though, if your tournament is also running a major Melee comp, it can still be stickied.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I'm just wondering what the policy on intentional glitching during games is. During the previous meet, before Leisha and Ricky showed up I accidentally flipped Scoot's Marth on the edge, so that he was grabbing the edge in the wrong direction. After a quick test game against a friend, I found out that this is actually quite easy to perform and could be very benefitial against the most common main in our scene. I'm just wondering, is it legal? It's nothing major and doesn't break the game, so I don't see why not.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Aw, I'm sorry. I didn't remember whether you'd arrived yet your not =(
Fixed =)

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
So it's legal? I've heard it stuns Marth for a short time; if so then it could lead into a nice spike or stage spike.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm just wondering what the policy on intentional glitching during games is. During the previous meet, before Leisha and Ricky showed up I accidentally flipped Scoot's Marth on the edge, so that he was grabbing the edge in the wrong direction. After a quick test game against a friend, I found out that this is actually quite easy to perform and could be very benefitial against the most common main in our scene. I'm just wondering, is it legal? It's nothing major and doesn't break the game, so I don't see why not.
Chain Jacket glitch isn't banned.

Nor is DACUS (which I assume is a glitch).

Nor is Yoshi's weird egg roll instant kill thing on Frigate.

Zelda's dthrow spike on Falco, Ganon, Lucario etc isn't banned either.

In general, character specific glitches are not banned unless it's ridiculous (See: MK infinite dimension cape).

Zero

Smash Hero
Intentional glitching is only banned if it's explicitly banned, or if it causes the game to crash.

If it causes a crash, you forfiet the game iirc.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
DACUS isn't a glitch, purposely programmed in by Sakurai.

And glitches aren't ever banned because they're glitches anyway, if they are banned it's because they fall under other ban criteria.
What?

Going to be totally honest with you, I think DACUS is probably like Wavedashing in Melee.

Also Infinite Dimension cape is a glitch. And it is banned.

What exactly is a ban criteria? :glare:

Splice

Smash Hero
example: IDC glitch is banned because it falls into the category of being stalling. It is not banned for being a glitch.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What?

Going to be totally honest with you, I think DACUS is probably like Wavedashing in Melee.

Also Infinite Dimension cape is a glitch. And it is banned.

What exactly is a ban criteria? :glare:
1. Dash attacks are purposely programmed with IASA frames for grab and up-smash, i don't know why Sakurai did this, but he did. And the IASA window is based upon how long your jump start animation is (hence why it's incredibly easy with Snake, much less so with Sheik).

2. Wavedashing isn't a glitch, it's just a physics exploit, which the devs knew about before they released the game

3. IDC is banned because it's stalling and it's a broken approach, not because it's a glitch. (otherwise we'd ban landing during Ganon's fair...because it glitches when you land, or we'd ban punishing RCO lag or something dumb lol)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
1. Dash attacks are purposely programmed with IASA frames for grab and up-smash, i don't know why Sakurai did this, but he did. And the IASA window is based upon how long your jump start animation is (hence why it's incredibly easy with Snake, much less so with Sheik).

2. Wavedashing isn't a glitch, it's just a physics exploit, which the devs knew about before they released the game

3. IDC is banned because it's stalling and it's a broken approach, not because it's a glitch. (otherwise we'd ban landing during Ganon's fair...because it glitches when you land, or we'd ban punishing RCO lag or something dumb lol)
1. This doesn't necessarily mean it was purposely programmed to be that. Just like the Infinite Dimension Cape glitch wasn't purposely programmed to be that.

Can you perhaps source something that truly indicates that Sakurai did this?

2. Okay. It's a physics exploit. But also, Yoshi's Egg Roll during the stage flip of Frigate is also a physics exploit. It's a physics exploit that instantly KO's anything that Yoshi touches.

It really depends on your outlook on the word "glitch" imo. Sakurai didn't intend wavedashing to be in Melee, but they found it, and didn't bother fixing it because they were on a tight schedule. I think it's up to the individual to decide whether it's a glitch, but knowing that Wavedashing wasn't meant to be in Melee in the first place is a good start.

3. idk where I was going with that. lol

Eh. It's a broken glitch anyway.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
1. This doesn't necessarily mean it was purposely programmed to be that. Just like the Infinite Dimension Cape glitch wasn't purposely programmed to be that.

Can you perhaps source something that truly indicates that Sakurai did this?
Of course it was purposely programmed in, IASA frames for Usmash weren't accidentally added to every dash attack in the game, lol.

Infinite Dimensional Cape is caused by Up Smash making MK rise very slightly when it is pressed (this is because Up Smash is just a short-cut for 'Up' and 'A'), as well as MK's DC time being extended slightly whenever he touches the ground (this was presumably added to stop some other glitch, or something). It is an unintentional consequence of different codes working together.

2. Okay. It's a physics exploit. But also, Yoshi's Egg Roll during the stage flip of Frigate is also a physics exploit. It's a physics exploit that instantly KO's anything that Yoshi touches.

It really depends on your outlook on the word "glitch" imo. Sakurai didn't intend wavedashing to be in Melee, but they found it, and didn't bother fixing it because they were on a tight schedule. I think it's up to the individual to decide whether it's a glitch, but knowing that Wavedashing wasn't meant to be in Melee in the first place is a good start.
The game is working just as it is programmed too, hence, it is not a glitch.

There were no mistakes made in the programming which caused wavedashing to work, the slide is programmed in and is still present in Brawl.

I doubt very highly that Yoshi's instant KO Egg Roll was a result of intentional coding being used in an unexpected way, looks more to me like two pieces of code glitching up when happening at the same time.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
@Grimmy:

Okei. Still, it seems weird that he'd throw it in and not mention it ever; not even on the site.

Maybe it's one of those things he wanted people to find out, like how if you hit Starfy enough, he rages and hits you with ridiculous (it's like 3 seconds lol) hitlag, damage and knockback.

If looking at your perspective of "glitch", again, Yoshi's Egg Roll thing isn't really a glitch.

The slide may have been programmed in, but doesn't mean it's intentional.

I recall Sakurai saying in an interview that during testing he "noticed" wavedashing was possible.

You don't "notice" things when you program it in.

Noticing something indicates surprise.

I dunno. UNLESS I'M LOOKING AT IT WRONG.

Top Bottom