• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
ya i usmashed oos a lot against shiz cuz he kept messing up when he hit my shield by hitting the top with dair really slow
I love when this happens. So very, very much.

we were wrong.

well, I can't remember if I said it as well.
This is partially my fault. I think I confirmed that Falcon can't jump out, without going into complete detail.

thanks...thanks a lot. -_-
Ganon's prerogative is all linked to the bubble. He throws out fair/bair/uair and creates this barrier that protects him and swats away those bothersome furries. If you run into the bubble, you get whacked and possibly knocked down. He might get a techchase op, and thats never good. If he screws up the chase op, no harm no foul because he can do it all over again.

Bottom line, don't run in headfirst and allow him to setup his aerial **** on you mid-range. Use platforms and shield work to get in on him. If you can get him into shield, pressure like crazy because he doesn't have many options out of it. A big thing to watch out for is jabs after whiffed aerials. If you block Ganon's fair, hold up your shield and retaliate after the jab - it clocks you before you can shield grab.

You are an extra-terrestrial woodland creature with a laser gun. Use it.

Don't ever be afraid to whip it out for a free 15-20% + time to think if the need arises.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Did I miss something? I thought it was in falcon's favor. Or even.
Match up consensus doesn't really matter, but its hard for both characters.
This match up is extremely in Fox's favor. Not as much as Sheik, but it's definitely up among Falcon's worst match ups.

It's only hard if:

A. You're bad at the match up.
B. The Falcon is simply good at the match up.

Take the top Falcon mains for example. They make the match up seem even, or maybe in their favor for two reasons:

More often than not, the falcon main is actually the better player as a whole.
They've practiced the hell out of arguably their second hardest match up.

Nair, shine, and Utilt when used correctly completely shut down falcon. Late nair to shine shuts down Falcons crouch cancel options, and late nairs on Falcon's shield forces him to roll, else get his options stuffed by utilt/shine.

Falcon also has one of the easiest exploitable recoveries for Fox.

Sure it sounds like I'm just reciting the character match up guide, but it really is the truth behind things.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Unown, Raynex, Lovage, etc:

I have a question about Foxes throw options against characters that land on the top platforms from uthrow:

Most competent players will tech the uthrow if they're going to land on the platform, making an effective follow-up impossible. I've been trying to figure out what the most effective throw is in this situation. It seems like every throw around the low~mid percentages resets the game to a neutral position. I've been experimenting with bthrowing in this situation. Thoughts?

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is an easy match for Fox mains, but I wouldn't advise using Fox as a secondary to beat him, since it seems ppl that do that make more mistakes and get punished. What I mean is, if you main Fox you prly have the nair-shine bull**** down pat and you know how to shield pressure Ganon without making mistakes. Really all he can do out of shield is roll and get *****. Maybe wavedash and get *****. Use your gun, etc, etc, what they said. And uthrow uair.

My question is about Fox dittos (kinds related to my previous complaining lol). Does anyone still chaingrab or do you always go for usmash? Also, it seems like approaching is a losing proposition and you should just DD around and go for grabs, is this basically right?
And what kind of common things can you shine oos? What to do vs shine-nair shield pressure? Basically I'm a scrub and want to learn this match lol

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Ganon is an easy match for Fox mains, but I wouldn't advise using Fox as a secondary to beat him, since it seems ppl that do that make more mistakes and get punished. What I mean is, if you main Fox you prly have the nair-shine bull**** down pat and you know how to shield pressure Ganon without making mistakes. Really all he can do out of shield is roll and get *****. Maybe wavedash and get *****. Use your gun, etc, etc, what they said. And uthrow uair.

My question is about Fox dittos (kinds related to my previous complaining lol). Does anyone still chaingrab or do you always go for usmash? Also, it seems like approaching is a losing proposition and you should just DD around and go for grabs, is this basically right?
And what kind of common things can you shine oos? What to do vs shine-nair shield pressure? Basically I'm a scrub and want to learn this match lol
nairshine doesn't really mean much if the fox is mindlessly approaching. fair/bair/fj dair ***** this and THEN some.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What should I do with grabs on Ganon RaynEx? Bread and Butter doesn't work for me here.
im not raynex, but i'll stick my neck out and answer. Just uthrow uair. It works on ganon.

I have a question about Foxes throw options against characters that land on the top platforms from uthrow:

Most competent players will tech the uthrow if they're going to land on the platform, making an effective follow-up impossible. I've been trying to figure out what the most effective throw is in this situation. It seems like every throw around the low~mid percentages resets the game to a neutral position. I've been experimenting with bthrowing in this situation. Thoughts?
If they are landing on the top platform and going to tech, why not just waveland up there and either usmash or regrab uthrow uair them?

alternately you could just tech chase them with a uair or bair from below.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
unfortunately the match wasn't recorded, because I'm a ******, but a marth i was fighting in bracket was able to tech then react to my uair attempt.

this was on fod. he was around 50% after i uthrew him

FNF

Smash Rookie
best way to jc multi-shine, quick.

i.e. what button combination is best used to be pressed for consistency/speed?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
This match up is extremely in Fox's favor. Not as much as Sheik, but it's definitely up among Falcon's worst match ups.

It's only hard if:

A. You're bad at the match up.
B. The Falcon is simply good at the match up.

Take the top Falcon mains for example. They make the match up seem even, or maybe in their favor for two reasons:

More often than not, the falcon main is actually the better player as a whole.
They've practiced the hell out of arguably their second hardest match up.

Nair, shine, and Utilt when used correctly completely shut down falcon. Late nair to shine shuts down Falcons crouch cancel options, and late nairs on Falcon's shield forces him to roll, else get his options stuffed by utilt/shine.

Falcon also has one of the easiest exploitable recoveries for Fox.

Sure it sounds like I'm just reciting the character match up guide, but it really is the truth behind things.
Good information, but this post is missing a few things. First off, Falcon has no CC options to speak of anyways, because his smashes are too slow and his grab lacks decent range. You almost never have to late nair vs. Falcon, or worry about his CC "options". The last thing we need is players thinking Falcon can do something on defense.

Which brings me to my next point.

People on the Fox boards, myself included, have recommended performing late nairs on shield during shield pressure. Due to Falcon's failure out of shield options, this isn't even remotely necessary. Even with an early nair, your shine still beats his grab (his fastest option), and the only thing he can do with roll.

When pressuring a Falcon, you almost never have to worry about solid retaliation. As a Fox player, its your job to make sure he doesn't slip out with WDs oos or forward rolls. But yeah, by no means should he be able to consistently CC or grab you out of shield unless you **** up pressure.

Another thing to add:

Fox's best tool in the entire match-up in terms of application is bair. You can do it 50 times to edge-guard, or SH and do it 50 times to cut out all of his approaches. A timed bair cleanly beats all of Falcon's aerials.

If I throw my opponent up, and the percent they are at alludes to the possibility of them teching on a higher platform, I wait. Whenever you aren't sure about a tech or not during uthrow uair patterns, always wait. If he techs, you can react to where he rolls and still get the uair. If he doesn't tech, you can react to where he rolls and still get the uair. See how that works?

If you're talking about big stages like dreamland, then you should be able to WD onto the platform after such uthrows, and give chase.

CG is good but most people don't use it ALL THE TIME out of respect (or some bull**** like that). CGing in a tournament match is always okay though, never let anyone tell you otherwise. But if you lose friends because all you do is CG in friendlies, I'm not sure what to tell you. lol

My advice is to usmash and learn to chase afterwards for the grab. Granted, CGing is easier and literally inescapable in certain situations, but understanding how to chase with Fox really helps your game. It would be more of a variety call than a "which option is better call". Imo, mix it up with both usmash and re-grabs mid combo for best results.

What should I do with grabs on Ganon RaynEx? Bread and Butter doesn't work for me here.
Uthrow uair doesn't combo on Ganon ever. His double jump provides him almost no horizontal distance whatsoever, and he is really fat - so when he tries to jump you just clip him. After an uthrow on Ganon:

1: Wait for the double jump. This is the most crucial part of landing the next hit. It isn't always required if you're fishing for an uair, but it definitely makes it easier to hit. There is no harm in waiting for him to DJ in this match-up. His aerials are slow and one of his laggiest is the only one that covers him from below, so you have more than enough time to see the DJ and counter it accordingly.

2. Uair

3. Call the direction of his DJ and bair. If you hit him, then fastfall autocancel that ****, because now he has no DJ and you might get a free juggle combo if you catch him before he lands.

4. Uthrow and walk below him and predict his landing spot. Trapping them like this forces Ganon to make really risky decisions to get out of your way. When he DJs, you can literally walk and follow him from below because of how bad his aerial maneuverability is. If he does anything, you can spot-dodge it, shield it, or DD it and grab or usmash or utilt or whatever. His moves are so slow, it should never be a problem to simply watch him as he is falling and react. Watch out for airdodges.

best way to jc multi-shine, quick.

i.e. what button combination is best used to be pressed for consistency/speed?
Y+B is probably the easiest way to multishine. It is the closest jump button to B, which makes it alot easier to slide from.

Lovage

Smash Hero
ummmm yeah like gaynex said you can just wait after you uthrow them and usually cover any direction they tech with bair

actually idk what baynex said cuz i didnt read his post but i bet that's what he said

especially if it's against falcon or something. you can uthrow them, wait to see if they tech or not. if they don't tech, you can do uair or drill reset (they usually still roll after the drill but you can usmash where they go on reaction, i recommend dair reset if they're at low percent, too low for uair to combo into anything.

if they do tech the uthrow, you can just wait under the platform for a second and bair whichever way they go. it's possible to uair, but bair is much easier because especially on smaller platforms it covers like 2 or 3 tech options if you do it right.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i dont think youve ever given advice other than this
This

U say infinite bullets like dis is resident evil then I could see y dis would be kool but in smash fox lazers don't solve all....but if u were falco then we be talking

unknown522

Some guy
Wow, Falcon is brooken. Nobody let the Falcon players know this otherwise Fox players are going to get more sad while playing Falcons. T_T
They should know. Secret is, if you SHFFL a n-air at where they will land, you will stuff them if they try to jump, but if they decide to tech, you can still chase them. If they don't tech, they obviously get hit.

How does I beat Sheik?
I'll see if I can dig up my old post.

It's not so much that ganon counters fox, that it is ganon punishes approaches like a champ
yeah, ganons are annoying to fight, but fox ***** him with his approaches. Ganon's attacks are too slow, as long as you don't run into his b-airs. If he does b-air though, he can't really defend himself too well, because he's facing backwards after he misses.

Also, lasers are gay.

if you throw them onto a platform, you can always follow their tech, because they will get stuck at the edge of the platform. I always do u-air when they land on a platfrom. Just walk toward where they land, so that if they tech in place/don't tech, you can hit them. If they roll away, you can walk/run and follow them. It's annoying though when spacies (especially falco) CC the first hit of u-air into shine, if you hit too late.

Vs marth, I sometimes do waveland -> u-smash. If they tech in place while I'm still in the air, I waveland and grab.

You could also d-air I guess, but if they don't tech, and they DI the d-air, they can fall off the platform.

I freestyle a lot, so I try out things that I think will work at the time (based on percent/position/where I think they will DI/etc)

im not raynex, but i'll stick my neck out and answer. Just uthrow uair. It works on ganon.
I thought he could jump out below 70%? Both being fat and having low hitstun. (well, if you overshoot the u-air, you can always hit I think, but I'm not too sure)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
You know how Doc can Uair carry a Ganon across a stage...?
Can Fox Nair him across into shine off stage or something the same way or can Ganon jump out/attack out quick enough? (with the appropriate DI)
Not sure what the hitstun/knockback/% is like in comparison. :\

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I thought he could jump out below 70%? Both being fat and having low hitstun. (well, if you overshoot the u-air, you can always hit I think, but I'm not too sure)
yeah i thought it was true combo, but after raynex's post i did some tests and ganon can jump out (at least at 50%). I still hit with the uair even though he jumped, though lol

You know how Doc can Uair carry a Ganon across a stage...?
Can Fox Nair him across into shine off stage or something the same way or can Ganon jump out/attack out quick enough? (with the appropriate DI)
Not sure what the hitstun/knockback/% is like in comparison. :\
Yea you can do it if they DI in the whole time. If they DI out you can tech chase into stuff. Ganon can't defend himself very well after he has been hit.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Cool, thanks for the info. I was probably just either:

A. Trying to follow up too quickly
B. Too slowly.

As for dair reset: Most of the competent people in az sdi that **** off the platform. =[

AZ should be renamed the SDI state because most of our better players sdi EVERYTHING. :|

Turazrok

Smash Master
This

U say infinite bullets like dis is resident evil then I could see y dis would be kool but in smash fox lazers don't solve all....but if u were falco then we be talking
Mmmmmm no. I say shoot more lasers because you( and others)often speak of approaching characters who don't have projectiles, which is silly unless you are behind in stocks, in which case you should've shot more lasers the first. By shooting lasers, you force them to approach, which is good. It agitates people, baits things, it's always good. Unless you're talking about falcon I cannot see why you would be approaching.

unknown522

Some guy
yeah i thought it was true combo, but after raynex's post i did some tests and ganon can jump out (at least at 50%). I still hit with the uair even though he jumped, though lol
yeah, that's what I though.

I remember testing it at some point, but that was about a year ago. I can't remember what percent I was able to link it.

Btw, if you don't mind, can you test what percent you can u-throw -> u-air Link at? I couldn't get it at less than 37%

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah, that's what I though.

I remember testing it at some point, but that was about a year ago. I can't remember what percent I was able to link it.

Btw, if you don't mind, can you test what percent you can u-throw -> u-air Link at? I couldn't get it at less than 37%
37% link can jump out on the same frame the uair hits

35% link can jump out by at least 1 frame

30% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

25% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

20% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

15% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

10% link can jump out by at least 4 frames

These all say "at least" because you can't just hold a jump button to jump. I had to alternate every other frame from the time i started. I figured you cared more whether or not he could jump and not exactly how many frames he had to do so.

I tested 37% a few times to make sure i had it right. Fox's uair (frame perfect) hits on the same frame he jumps

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Kay so.

I need halp

Peach always Dsmashes me cause shes a ****

and samus is gay

Helps :3
ASDI down and tech the dsmash away if you're consistent. Or if you're not, just DI it up and away, and stop challenging her with aerials when she's at low/mid percentage with badly spaced aerials.

Fox is gayer. Also same thing there. Stop challenging Samus with nair/badly spaced bairs when she's grounded. if you must approach, drill is generally a better option when she's grounded.

When challenging her shield, aerial > shield good versus screw attack oos.

Grab that ***** alot.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
K.

Good thing he's my second :3

But really.

Thanks ruby.

I'll try and get some vids of Rohins vs Me when he's back in Tampa FL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I take that back, at 37% link can jump the frame before the uair hits (with frame perfect jump out of throw and uair out of jump). I remember magus posted something a while back that implied that training mode wasn't always correct on what truly combos and what doesn't

i also want to note that while link can jump out a few frames before the uair hits, in almost every test he was still hit by the uair.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Cool, thanks for the info. I was probably just either:

A. Trying to follow up too quickly
B. Too slowly.

As for dair reset: Most of the competent people in az sdi that **** off the platform. =[

AZ should be renamed the SDI state because most of our better players sdi EVERYTHING. :|
I rarely do dair resets on platforms. All you have to do is hold a direction; sdi isn't necessary. People accidentally slip out of it all the time, and I hate missing potential damage opportunities.

Scidadle:

Both match ups have been covered extensively in this thread before, so if you want advice I can find an old post or something. If there is a particular part of the match-ups you are having trouble with, post about it. Stop running in with nair and you won't get dsmashed (vs. both characters).

Samus

The problems with this MU:

You can't uthrow uair her, and waveshine usmash becomes difficult to land when they start d.i.ing your shines. Samus can CC your nair, bair, dtilt, utilt, jab...

Edge-guarding her is a *****. Oh, and you can't hit her shield because if you do she automatically gets free damage on you. Her up+b has frames of invincibility on start-up so she doesn't even have to wait for your shine on her shield before she does it. She can simply wait for you to nair or dair her shield then up+b right through your shine. Her spin attack will clink with shine and keep going.

Basically, Samus is gay and you can't do alot to her. If she didn't have such an annoying shield game Fox would probably **** her.

The Answer

laser.

(and spaced bair, along with patience at the ledge and using your edge frames to shine/bair)

----------------------------------

I remember Turk asking about how to fight Sheik:

The Sheik match-up is fairly simple. Don't run in without thinking. Sheik's aerials come out really fast, and she can auto-cancel ALL of them in a SH if she really wants to. This means that if you try to run in with nair, she can land without having to lcancel, and knock you away with ftilt or dsmash. When you're on stages with platforms, use them to keep your approaches varied. Don't always jump in on her at the most obvious of times. Use your double jump cautiously along with random wavelands or quick DDs to get her to either come up at you or whiff a move on the ground. When you get the opportunity, grab -> uthrow ->uair. At 0% don't go for uairs. Utilt works (or shield her falling aerial and re-grab). Start uthrow comboing a bit after 20%.

When you edge-guard always grab the ledge vs. Sheik. They always try to vanish sweetspot the edge then stall or w/e to make it back. If you take the edge away Sheik is forced onto the stage. From your position on the ledge, you can ledge-hop dair->shine->grab and punish, or dair->shine->usmash to punish/kill. Watch how close the Sheik is to the stage, because she might try to double jump and airdodge onto it to avoid getting hit. If you can react fast enough, jump over and bair her back off. This is where watching your opponent closely comes into play. You need to cut off all her options and force her off the stage. At lower percents, shine oos and off CCs for gimps and to push her off into a ledge situation. It isn't rare to deal upwards of 60% per ledge-guard vs Sheik. Even if she keeps making it back, as long as you are right on her and hit her back off - you're doing the right thing.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Well I don't know.

Samus I just can never bait for grabs. I know I'm not supposed to approach either characters (playing vs peach 3 weeks ago I didn't though xD) but I don't know whats really effective vs them. I know samus on the ground is a hard battle but in the air I can do bad stuff. The problem is getting the grab.

And peach all I'm supposed to do is lazer and punish?

unknown522

Some guy
Kay so.

I need halp

Peach always Dsmashes me cause shes a ****

and samus is gay

Helps :3
d-air a lot if they're spamming d-smash. Also space b-air when peach is over 50%.

N-air her when she floating toward you, and go wild with attacks when she pulls a turnip.

For samus, I dunno. I remember ****** spaceballs in friendlies at pound, but I treat samus like a bad character. Try to force her above you, and u-air her because she's so floaty. Edgeguard well.

37% link can jump out on the same frame the uair hits

35% link can jump out by at least 1 frame

30% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

25% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

20% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

15% link can jump out by at least 2 frames

10% link can jump out by at least 4 frames

These all say "at least" because you can't just hold a jump button to jump. I had to alternate every other frame from the time i started. I figured you cared more whether or not he could jump and not exactly how many frames he had to do so.

I tested 37% a few times to make sure i had it right. Fox's uair (frame perfect) hits on the same frame he jumps
I take that back, at 37% link can jump the frame before the uair hits (with frame perfect jump out of throw and uair out of jump). I remember magus posted something a while back that implied that training mode wasn't always correct on what truly combos and what doesn't

i also want to note that while link can jump out a few frames before the uair hits, in almost every test he was still hit by the uair.
Alright, I will keep that stuff in mind. Thanks Sveet.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Well I don't know.

Samus I just can never bait for grabs. I know I'm not supposed to approach either characters (playing vs peach 3 weeks ago I didn't though xD) but I don't know whats really effective vs them. I know samus on the ground is a hard battle but in the air I can do bad stuff. The problem is getting the grab.

it's not really "just laser." a good strategy is to feign weakness. You want to coax Peach into thinking you're in range for an attack, or feign an opening, and punish it accordingly.

You need to be able to actively judge how far her fair goes, as well as the stages surroundings, and weave in and out of her range, and grab misspaced aerials, but at the same time be mindful when she's playing the same game as you and attempting to dsmash your dd grab attempt.

you're going to be playing a similar game versus samus, but with two major differences: Samus doesn't have peach's amazing fair, and float cancel. Instead, Samus has missiles, ftilt, and zoning with fj nair.

You really only want to nair both characters when they're in the air, but not in such a situation that they can stuff you with their aerials. Since they're floaty, if you're able to catch them in the aerial, you can start to juggle them with utilts, uairs, bairs, nairs, fair, the works.

unknown522

Some guy
DD close to her. If they don't shield, then d-air them. If they do, then grab. If they jump for some reason, then they're doing the work of you.

Most likely they will try to space f-tilt at your DD. You can try to waveland onto a platform/jump over them, and go behind with a b-air. Her oos game aside from her up-b is pretty crap, so space well on their shield.

Also try sparingly to empty jump and see what they do.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Wow I didn't even think of that.

Thanks a lot unknown.

And again ruby thanks, I need to play more vs peach cause I'm clueless on her range and stuff.

I'm starting to get an idea.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Well I don't know.

You aren't really supposed to grab spam on Samus. Its good if you catch her in shield, and even then its mostly fthrow to push her to an edge. Simply getting her off the stage will get you laser and bair damage for either an edge-guard kill or usmash kill later.

Unknown's last post was really beast. Use what he said to your advantage. If you see Peach float, jump at her and try to get her with nair. When she's on the ground, focus on dair, bair spacing, lasers, and grabbing if you think she's in shield.

Top Bottom