• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I'm going to ask again since the question was ignored last time:

Problem I have with Fox: My thumb locks up alot. Maybe about 40% of every game I play with fox my thumb stiffens up. How do I fix this?
This is a physiological problem and there is no solution. Sorry man =/

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
It's been happening on and off throughout 09/2010. I never had the problem 05~07 when I was just getting into competitive smash, and not so much 08 since I was dabbling with secondaries like zelda, and bowser, nor did I have problems in winter 08 when I got into playing more competitively and going to tournaments.

Over the summer it started to happen when I mained sheik for a few months. Sheik for me personally is the hardest character in the game to short hop with, and one tournament my thumb started locking up on me. From there I started having the problem periodically. Recently the problem only happens with Fox.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
All I can say is you probably need to relax your hand. It's hard to sh with fox over and over again and remain relaxed, I know, my fingers get stiff and sore after a while, too, but that's probably the only thing that'll help it.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Stiffness, and sore isn't a problem, and I'm fairly certain I don't hold my controller too lose/tight. My thumb just locks up when trying to sh with fox and sheik.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^keep practicing. I used to have similar issues, but it goes away after continuous days in a row of playing technical characters.

unknown522

Some guy
ruby, I think you should get that checked out if it's a big concern.

When i did it, i only saw the 2 uair hits combo. Does it show for you a 3 hit combo?
yeah, 3-4 hits. Sometimes she gets hit by the laser, and sometimes only the second part of the u-air hits, so I get 2-3 hits.

You have do get the full height of you first jump.

Jman uthrows, Hax DIs behind and somehow double jumps out. I thought this wasn't possible (and he Falcon has to tech).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqViugOoTE#t=2m24s

Explain, please?
falcon has incredibly low hitstun because he is heavy.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
How does one combat a sheik that is continually spazzing fairs and bairs....it alomost as if there is zero lag so as soon as the hit the ground they are bac in the air doing aerials

unknown522

Some guy
if she keeps doing aerials, try these:

- Run up and shield. If she does a aerial right away, you can u-smash her oos, or grab if they mis-space. If she does a late one, then next time throw a n-air at her because they will probably keep doing late aerials. If they f-air at auto-cancel height, then you can u-smash them for sure, if they try to attack again right away. If they shield, then that sucks.

- SH n-air under them, or just completely run under them and DC -> something, or b-air them.

- If they try to jump away, then do a FH aerial, because her air mobility sucks and you can reach them without a running start.

- DD -> grab when they wiff just like vs any other character.

- WD back oos after they hit your shield and try to reset spacing. If they attempt to grab, then that sucks, because it's so **** long.

- Waveland on a platform, and go around their aerial, so that you can get behind them and put a bit of pressure. You can drop through and b-air since if they try to aerial again, you will stuff them most likely.

Nothing is really guaranteed. You have to use your best judgement based on what they are doing, or what you think they're going to do next. Sometimes you have to completely guess, or completely back off. Sometimes when I feel like I'm too pressured near the edge, then I shield so that I get the ledge, or WD to grab it and then do an invincible ledge WD and do what I want....It's pretty gay.

Also, forcing people to approach with laser is so gay.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Unknown forgot to mention that at low percents you can CC almost everything Sheik does.

Gotta watch out for that grab though.

Lovage

Smash Hero
ya i usmashed oos a lot against shiz cuz he kept messing up when he hit my shield by hitting the top with dair really slow

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
ruby, I think you should get that checked out if it's a big concern.

yeah, 3-4 hits. Sometimes she gets hit by the laser, and sometimes only the second part of the u-air hits, so I get 2-3 hits.

You have do get the full height of you first jump.

falcon has incredibly low hitstun because he is heavy.
What exactly should i "get checked out." lol.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
That would be really awkward to try and get fixed.

"Hey doc, my thumb cramps up playing video games. Halp."
Well if you don't walk in with your blubber sliding across the ground, and present yourself as a person with access to a shower. It shouldn't go badly. :bee:

unknown522

Some guy
Unknown forgot to mention that at low percents you can CC almost everything Sheik does.

Gotta watch out for that grab though.
yeah, I did, sorry. CC -> u-smash/d-tilt is amazing. Or you can get a grab on her weak b-air/n-air.

Yep its definitely possible to uthrow uair puff at 100% (tested in AR). Thanks for the tip unknown
np

ya i usmashed oos a lot against shiz cuz he kept messing up when he hit my shield by hitting the top with dair really slow
yeah, it'll work easy if they do that. You can also just shield grab if they d-air too high on your shield.

What exactly should i "get checked out." lol.
That would be really awkward to try and get fixed.

"Hey doc, my thumb cramps up playing video games. Halp."
Yeah, that would be weird. I get pain on my left index finger from using "L" so much. I usually take a break for a bit, or play falco for a while, then it feels better.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Unknown!!! If Falcon DI's Fox's u-throw away or behind, can he double jump before hitting the ground? I brought up the question earlier, and everyone said it was an automatic tech chase. But I see Falcons jump out all the time. What's the truth?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Falcon can jump out, depending on the %, but I'm not sure what that % range is. I would like to know as well because I'm always confused about what to do after uthrowing falcon if he di's

unknown522

Some guy
Unknown!!! If Falcon DI's Fox's u-throw away or behind, can he double jump before hitting the ground? I brought up the question earlier, and everyone said it was an automatic tech chase. But I see Falcons jump out all the time. What's the truth?
we were wrong.

well, I can't remember if I said it as well.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
(all damage is before the throw)

he can jump before touching the ground off of away DI at 0%. I'd assume he can do the same from behind DI as well.

he can do it at 10% too

and 20% too

and 30%

Not doing any more testing. The leeway to jump at 0% is very small (1 or 2 frames) and it gets larger as % goes up.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
(all damage is before the throw)

he can jump before touching the ground off of away DI at 0%. I'd assume he can do the same from behind DI as well.

he can do it at 10% too

and 20% too

and 30%

Not doing any more testing. The leeway to jump at 0% is very small (1 or 2 frames) and it gets larger as % goes up.
Wow, Falcon is brooken. Nobody let the Falcon players know this otherwise Fox players are going to get more sad while playing Falcons. T_T

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Fox ***** falcon, why would we be sad?

Just wait/react to the jump. Don't just auto-pilot uair them. If they don't jump, and land on the ground, you're still golden because falcon techs at the speed of a crawl.

Turazrok

Smash Master
i know this sounds like a really weird statement but, i seem to have trouble against ganon. my biggest problem seems to be approaching because when i try to get in on him, he fairs or bairs me or some dumb aerial. any help?
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Approaching Ganon? You have a gun. With Infinite Bullets!!!!!!

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i know this sounds like a really weird statement but, i seem to have trouble against ganon. my biggest problem seems to be approaching because when i try to get in on him, he fairs or bairs me or some dumb aerial. any help?
I don't find that weird at all, it is in my professional opinion that ganon counters fox. basically if you approach a good ganon you're gunna get baired, faired, maybe uaired/ftilted/daired, but basically **** is gunna happen. ganon will prance around wavelanding and ish and make you think that he's open to attack but he never is. so you can basically shield approach him, try to short hop waveland trick him, or just shoot lasers until he comes at you and get the first hit by grabbing/nairing/bairing. usmash oos is huge in this matchup, and if the ganon is covering his whiffed aerials with jabs fullhop over his head and ff bair him.

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
I don't find that weird at all, it is in my professional opinion that ganon counters fox. basically if you approach a good ganon you're gunna get baired, faired, maybe uaired/ftilted/daired, but basically **** is gunna happen. ganon will prance around wavelanding and ish and make you think that he's open to attack but he never is. so you can basically shield approach him, try to short hop waveland trick him, or just shoot lasers until he comes at you and get the first hit by grabbing/nairing/bairing. usmash oos is huge in this matchup, and if the ganon is covering his whiffed aerials with jabs fullhop over his head and ff bair him.
overall, thank you. these are good ideas. but i find running up and shielding doesn't work because when ganon aerials you, it has so much knock back and hit stun, that you can't get out quick enough. and when i finally get out of my shield; there i go...flying off the stage.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Retreating fair is like unbeatable, you'd want to make him somehow attack you while DI'ing towards you. If you try attacking through the air or otherwise try to pressure him, retreating fairs/bairs will beat out all of your approaches (I believe it's all, but feel free to correct me.) So you want HIM to approach you.

Running and shielding is an excellent way, but only when used in combination with DD'ing and waveland/empty SH maneuvers right outside his range. Doing that can entice him to approach you and after that, you can begin to do stuff to him since you're finally in the space where retreating aerials will no longer effectively work.

If your DD/shenanigans doesn't make him approach, then run away and take the % lead.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
overall, thank you. these are good ideas. but i find running up and shielding doesn't work because when ganon aerials you, it has so much knock back and hit stun, that you can't get out quick enough. and when i finally get out of my shield; there i go...flying off the stage.
You have to space like Sheik, where you're aiming your aerials to hit his aerials out of their startup (so you kind of have to be at a good dash dance distance). This is tricky because you don't have her range, nor do you have her crouch, or her chain grab. So when he's on the ground, some smart dash dancing is required, because you can't actually expect for your moves to be able to muscle through his Jab and angled F-tilts in the same manner Sheik could. His Bair is also ridiculously gay.

Alternatively, meet him halfway and make him approach via laser. Then **** his clunky approaches.

Top Bottom