• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
uthrow uair combos over 90 regardless of d.I

you can even land an uair if you grab jiggs at 95. Unknown522, Kirbykaze and I have got it to combo in excesses of 100 in training mode. This was all tested with "behind d.I.", the hardest to follow.

It's hard to do, but I promise you it works past 100.

unknown522

Some guy
uthrow uair combos over 90 regardless of d.I

you can even land an uair if you grab jiggs at 95. Unknown522, Kirbykaze and I have got it to combo in excesses of 100 in training mode. This was all tested with "behind d.I.", the hardest to follow.

It's hard to do, but I promise you it works past 100.
yep.

I can get it up to 111% with DI either way, and 110% without DI (before the grab of course). Behind DI is the easiest to hit.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Canada should just change their avatars to Bidoofs, it'd make me really happy. Also, you Fox players are all ***** for talking about how you can uthrow uair a Jiggs at 111% That makes me so sad.

Does Fox's uthrow uair ever stop working at a certain percent... like Sheik can jump out at 130 or something? Or is it inescapable and all the foxes I play suck.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Same. Which is why I asked that question haha. I mean Raynex/unknown are probably one of the best players in the world at uthrow uairing. ;)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
If you can't Uthrow Uair...
Dthrow tech chase Usmash worth trying?

I find it's useful, so on someone with a crap obvious and slowish tech roll, jiggs is easy to hit.
And dies early lol

Getting the grab is the tough part, need like a shine to make her tech to set one up or something :(

Bidoofs are for EC only.

WC is dead so we aren't seen anyway.

EWC

Smash Ace
If you can't Uthrow Uair...
Dthrow tech chase Usmash worth trying?

I find it's useful, so on someone with a crap obvious and slowish tech roll, jiggs is easy to hit.
And dies early lol

Getting the grab is the tough part, need like a shine to make her tech to set one up or something :(
Dthrow tech chases might be viable, but there's not much point to them when you have a guaranteed kill out of any grab well into killing percents. And, as you noted, grabbing jiggs is usually pretty hard, so I don't think it would be worth potentially missing a free kill for the sake being flashy. Maybe on people like samus, who don't get ***** by fox's bread and butter throw.

unknown522

Some guy
Same. Which is why I asked that question haha. I mean Raynex/unknown are probably one of the best players in the world at uthrow uairing. ;)
I'm pretty sure that she can't get out until 150% or so. I'll check.

I can't get it past 140% with DI. I can still get her at 194% without DI. After that she goes out of my jump range.

These are all before the throw of course.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
so for real you can uthrow uair puff at 110%?

edit- wow you can, though im not sure if it actually combos. i know you can reach her with your jumps and uair, though.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I think you have to time your doublejump perfectly too
I figured out why I can't get her at >79%, I'm doublejumping too fast
**** puffff

joeplicate

Smash Master
downthrow tech chase on samus: viable!

if they tech in place, or to either side, you can run and get them

if they don't tech, or DI forward but don't tech, downtilt

except if they DI far enough behind you, you can't uptilt :(

but until they figure that out it's a pretty good option in a matchup where you can't really do **** lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i just did something weird:

playing green fox vs normal falcon (lvl1) on battle field. right platform. falcon ~109%. I did a rising nair through the platform, hit falcon, but somehow landed on the platform immediately instead of rising up the rest of the way. Any explanations? magus magus420

voorhese

Smash Master
i just did something weird:

playing green fox vs normal falcon (lvl1) on battle field. right platform. falcon ~109%. I did a rising nair through the platform, hit falcon, but somehow landed on the platform immediately instead of rising up the rest of the way. Any explanations? magus magus420
ive done this b4 to, did u pull off the lcancel?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I did a rising platform cancel today with falcon on the top platform of yoshi's with a sh dair from the right platform...it ****ed up my tech chase :(

EWC

Smash Ace
I'm not sure, but I think that it has something to do with your collision box changing shape when you do an aerial. So, as you rise through the platform and nair, your collision box gets a little bit taller. If the spacing is just right, this can cause the game to think that your feet touched the ground, so it puts you on the ground. This explains why certain aerials (ie. falcon's stomp) are much more likely to cause this: they are the ones where the character's collision box extends downward a lot.

I'm not actually sure if that's how it works though. It's just speculation because there is a similar phenomenon in some other games (specifically Super Metroid) that I'm pretty familiar with. I would love it if someone could confirm this theory.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I'm not sure, but I think that it has something to do with your collision box changing shape when you do an aerial. So, as you rise through the platform and nair, your collision box gets a little bit taller. If the spacing is just right, this can cause the game to think that your feet touched the ground, so it puts you on the ground. This explains why certain aerials (ie. falcon's stomp) are much more likely to cause this: they are the ones where the character's collision box extends downward a lot.

I'm not actually sure if that's how it works though. It's just speculation because there is a similar phenomenon in some other games (specifically Super Metroid) that I'm pretty familiar with. I would love it if someone could confirm this theory.
Is it just me or do you tend to make a lot of sense? Nowthat is cool.

/not sarcastic

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah i figured it was something like that, but i had never heard about it.

yes i made the lcancel, DUH

joeplicate

Smash Master
i love autocancelling falcon's dair and making him say "TUAHH" without having any move come out

if i had AR tech skill i would do that in front of people's shields, then grab
:p

edit:
rotate the control stick with your left thumb, and with your right hand you may either rotate the c stick, or mash a/b/x/y/z (whichever you can do faster)
the key is to recognize when you ****ed up and are getting grabbed and begin mashing before you've even been grabbed
i'm pretty sure that this is a widely-held misconception

c-stick doesn't help you wiggle out when you're grabbed, it's only rotating the control stick that helps. also, L, R, and Z work (i think z, i know L and R do.)

the thing is, though, if you're at high percent you don't want to wiggle the control stick as much, because if you get thrown you might not get a chance to react, and you could botch your DI and die. the speed depends on the throw, but it's often times not worth the risk of getting out a little earlier.

Also, if you wanted i'm pretty sure you could repeatedly tap the direction you want to DI on the stick to help wiggle out, as well as the face and shoulder buttons, since any of the 4 main directions count as an input to help you wiggle out. I'm assuming that returning the stick to center and tapping any direction also counts as 1 input.

the same thing applies to spamming L/R; you can ruin your tech window if you hit it at the wrong time, so at mid/low percents you might not wanna.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
What r good ways of practicing perfect waveshines and how do u no it is a PERFECT waveshine.....I'm assuming best character to practice on is falcon....I ask because I think I'm seriously lacking in this department of fox when it comes to being consistent.....also. is there any key things u look or hear for to let u no u can wavedash ouuta the shine...I think I do it too fast so my fox just stays in his shine....

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Your timing has to be almost perfect to waveshine -> JC grab a Marth buffering a spotdodge.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
OK but do I still need to run after shining to get the grab and what do u look for when u that let's u no when to waveshine....what helps that timing/transition???? I gotta no I'm tired of suckin at this game

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I gotta no I'm tired of suckin at this game
i am too my friend =\
there is no secret sound or anything like that, you just need to learn the timing through practice. you can know you're doing a perfect waveshine if you can thunders people. also you can waveshine run jcusmash marth/mario and if it's comboing then you're in good shape

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Ok I got quite sum time till my next tourney....I'm going to train on sum dbz inhuman way and start waveshining like eggm because his waveshines r always perfect like wtf eggm WTF!!!!!!

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Tru but as smart as I can think if I. Don't have the tech skill to punish accordingly what does it matter.....and waveshining is essential

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Alright, thanks unknown. I guess a lot of good Foxes just don't have enough experience uthrow uairing. xD

Is it possible to not be able to sdi Fox's uair because of the actual uair being too much inside a character? Like, the legs are all up in the character and the "end/back" of Fox is touching the other character. Do you have to like sdi the first hit up and away or something?

Navn

Smash Apprentice
How should i DI to get out of repeated uptilts against Marth? Also, what is the correct way to "get-out-of-combo"-DI against his fair?

Inb4 don't get hit.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i think you just DI behind the marth if your getting uptilted navn. and for the fair, pretty sure you DI that away from marth.

EWC

Smash Ace
Will a perfect waveshine hit a marth or something
A good way to test your waveshines is to waveshine->upsmash marth without dashing in between. If your waveshine is too short, you won't be able to hit him, but if it's close to perfect, you will get him.

Alternatively, start on one side of fd, teetering at the edge and facing away. Then waveshine backwards repeatedly until you grab the edge on the other side. If you are very close to being perfect, you can do this in six wave dashes, but it's quite hard.

How should i DI to get out of repeated uptilts against Marth? Also, what is the correct way to "get-out-of-combo"-DI against his fair?
When marth uptilts you, the best DI to avoid further comboing is usually down+behind him. Beware however that sometimes this will put you too close to the edge and set up for an easy spike or gimp.

Against fair, you should Di away+slightly down if they tipper you. If they get the weaker, horizontally hitting, part, then there's not really much combo potential anyways, but DI down is good just to be safe.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I got beat by a sheik in tourney. How do I win next time? I had trouble landing grabs. But I almost came back from a 3 stock with bair and lasers, so I guess those are good.

Top Bottom