• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The impressive part was the super low uair weakhit into immediate grab, not the fair chain to tipper fsmash...

Sometimes I wonder what other people see when they watch vids. We all interpret events so differently. Interesting stuff.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I actually rewound the vid to see if the upair hit in that combo. i wasnt een sure the hitbox came out it was so low and sexy

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Winston: I'll look at it closely tomorrow and see if I can point anything out. My Marth is a lot more intuition than analysis these days, as I rarely use him, so it's harder for me to feel out the opponent with him than with Fox.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
The impressive part was the super low uair weakhit into immediate grab, not the fair chain to tipper fsmash...

Sometimes I wonder what other people see when they watch vids. We all interpret events so differently. Interesting stuff.
The viewer should evaluate the players' mindsets and option choices that they do and cover in the video and determine if those choices were the best for the given situation.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
what i try to do lately is pick up on how what options the players choose evolve over time. a weak point in my game has been picking up on people's habits (the non-obvious ones) so i've somewhat-deliberately chosen to observe it in that way.

so the most interesting part is always, how did that player get a hit in? and ive tried to answer that in context of the question "based on what his opponent has done before" rather than "based on spacing or pressure" as i used to. how i look at videos changes with what i want to improve on, as im sure it does for a lot of people

Lovage

Smash Hero
The viewer should evaluate the players' mindsets and option choices that they do and cover in the video and determine if those choices were the best for the given situation.
i feel a lot of people might glaze over this advice, but it's pretty damn legit - i've learnt a lot from studying vids in this way

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
hey fox boards. I'm a falco main soul searching for a new main, so I gave fox a try at my last tourney. I liked him a lot more than I thought I would. I like the power his DD carries and I felt less locked into specific mixups, but that might be because I haven't played fox as much as falco.
Thoughts/advice/critique of any kind would be much appreciated.
vs falcon WF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9UKnM_Ot0
vs puff WS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppfYLht5m0
GF got corrupted sadly but me and the puff traded 3-2 sets.
Thanks

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Work on reacting off of getting a hit. Watched the first match and a bit of the second and you seemed to smash into shield alot which is obviously punishable but the main takeaway is that fox is fast enough to react to almost anything that hits so you don't need to preemtively hope your combo starter will hit and immediately smash, it can be a simple reaction to seeing the hit. Smash on shield would mebbe be more punishable vs a good spacie or peach or something but I guess you were pretty well spaced on many of them anyways so thats a good thing.

unknown522

Some guy
double post: A bunch of vids have been uploaded from our last monthly (a month ago). They have a lot of fox in it and quebec, so I'm gonna post links here.

Sauc3 vs Weon-x Loser's 1/8
Weon-x vs Kage LQs
Raynex vs Idea LQs
Raynex vs Weon-x LS
Part 2
Weon-x vs Bam WQs
Myself vs Kage WS
Raynex vs Bam WS
Myself vs Bam WFs
Part 2
myself vs Raynex LFs
Raynex vs Bam GFs
set 2

they were recorded from the stream and was not my doing, so sorry if they are choppy. Anyways, enjoy the massive amount of fox

ill have to watch some of these
does bam main marth now? thatd be lame, i liked his falco.
i might have asked you this before, but is bam going to apex?

unknown522

Some guy
nah, he mains falco still. He played marth in GF for some reason...

yeah, you asked me before if he was going to APEX, but I'm not sure if he's going or not. It sounds like he's interested though so I hope he does

Divinokage

Smash Legend
ill have to watch some of these
does bam main marth now? thatd be lame, i liked his falco.
i might have asked you this before, but is bam going to apex?
He doesn't main Marth, he just felt like playing him since they split anyhow. As for Bam going to APEX, it seems likely to me. He seems still interested to go.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
At what point do you think that one has decent enough techskill to where they can focus mostly exclusive to the mental game and such, and work on techskill passively?

When I started playing Fox in October my general first goal was to get sufficient techskill, but I really wouldn't know when I've attained that in the first place now that I think about it.

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
It depends on your own personal standard and what you set out to do in matches. I've recently started actively trying to incorporate double/tripleshines into my everyday play, so I've gone back to "actively" focusing on techskill. Some Foxes get away with just the fundamentals (I'm blessed/cursed with primarily playing with SW and having him as a role model lol). It's really up to you. Are you winning? Can you keep up with your opponents? Then you're at that level.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
not bad fruitloop.

So why are you switching mains?
Haven't been having fun with the bird. I find myself playing falcon/fox way more in friendlies so I figured I'd see if I like them more than falco in play to win matches too.

also we didn't get to play at the big house. :( I'll try to find you next time

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
After 3 and a half straight hours of techskill practice and noticeable but inconsistent progress, I have come to conclude that Fox is a very difficult character.

Lovage

Smash Hero
After 3 and a half straight hours of techskill practice and noticeable but inconsistent progress, I have come to conclude that Fox is a very difficult character.
yea he's hard as ****, but once you play enough (vs. people and vs. cpu's) you'll see every area of your game get a lot better - even in things you weren't specifically practicing for.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Yea. also stage practice (by yourself) is good as well. Practising little tricks involving your tech skill is great.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I was just practicing for about 3.5 hours, too! What a coincidence! And yeah, this character is really difficult...trying to see if I can just get away with not being technical, and just having tech chases/smart followups...

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Kinda random but I love baiting the falcon player into running under one of the side platforms then I uthrow >upair and punish depending on the situation if they DI or not.

PB&J

Smash Hero
I got destroyed @ Tipped Off 7. i lost to 2 marth's .PP Gave me some good advice for general play overall. But if anybody wants to give me some advice vs characters and overall gameplay that would be great. I figure the more advice the better. Thanks in advance too

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Against Marth, Use lasers to force them to approach. If you are next to the edge you can bait them and either full hop bair> shine spike. If you want to mix up you strategy, you can uthrow> uair.

Marth has three basic approaches.

1. dash attack(which is risky, you can punish him with a dair>waveshine>uthrow>uair.
2. dtilt
3. grab

I use this set as a sample video for the matchup. It helped me a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRrWXuEgpg&list=LLnFWrItTIMmBrttweLnXc8g&index=12&feature=plpp_video

Against Marth, Use lasers to force them to approach. If you are next to the edge you can bait them and either full hop bair> shine spike. If you want to mix up you strategy, you can uthrow> uair.

Marth has three basic approaches.

1. dash attack(which is risky, you can punish him with a dair>waveshine>uthrow>uair.
2. dtilt
3. grab

I use this set as a sample video for the matchup. It helped me a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRrWXuEgpg&list=LLnFWrItTIMmBrttweLnXc8g&index=12&feature=plpp_video
vs a good marth, most of the time he doesnt have approaches lol. he has safe dash dancing and fairs until you can make him do something else

Palpi

Smash Hero
I was just practicing for about 3.5 hours, too! What a coincidence! And yeah, this character is really difficult...trying to see if I can just get away with not being technical, and just having tech chases/smart followups...
Kind of why I want to to focus on peach more...I am kind of technical with fox...and I am kind of consistent, but with peach I feel like I am more consistent and because the pace of the match is slower, it gives me more time to focus on the mental part of my game rather than worrying about how consistent my tech skill is. When I did my MM with kage, after the first 15 seconds my thoughts were pretty much (omg, my techskill is so ****ing bad) and I mentally screwed myself lol.

Kind of why I want to to focus on peach more...I am kind of technical with fox...and I am kind of consistent, but with peach I feel like I am more consistent and because the pace of the match is slower, it gives me more time to focus on the mental part of my game rather than worrying about how consistent my tech skill is. When I did my MM with kage, after the first 15 seconds my thoughts were pretty much (omg, my techskill is so ****ing bad) and I mentally screwed myself lol.
you just have to practice and then you will be consistent with fox. a lot of things with fox seem like theyd be impossible to be consistent at, but theyre not. they just take a ton of practice.

basically what im saying is, choosing to play a different character rather than one you want to just cuz you dont have the tech skill right away is kinda lame.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I dunno. Switching to a slower but still technical player can help him learn more of the mental aspect of the game while his hands & muscle memory develop better tech skill. Would def suggest switching back to Fox as you feel that your Peach is getting faster thoguh.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I think playing spacies even not as mains or in tournament are valuable for perfecting tech skill. It can't hurt, I guess

Divinokage

Smash Legend
you just have to practice and then you will be consistent with fox. a lot of things with fox seem like theyd be impossible to be consistent at, but theyre not. they just take a ton of practice.

basically what im saying is, choosing to play a different character rather than one you want to just cuz you dont have the tech skill right away is kinda lame.
Lame? Well I already explained before that using different characters allows you to see what the other player is looking for with that character so it's pretty good that way. But at the same time, you will never master something if you don't practice it.

Top Bottom