• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
oohh man. My smash career is further ****ed over. My c-stick completely stopped functioning on my controller, and now I'm using an even crappier controller now (it's all I've got). I salvaged the parts from my other controller, but I'm using a different circuit board (so new control stick and c-stick). The control stick is kinda stiff, but it was the best out of all the choices I had.

My consistency rate for shine-WD from the ledge has severely dropped (but ledge WDs have increased with sheik?).

But eh, maybe I'll get used to it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
are you sure you had to ditch your old controller and salvage the parts? i would only consider that if my c-stick was 100% dead and in the grave.

having to switch to a new circuit board / control stick box is really really really gay if you've been using that controller for over a year

Lovage

Smash Hero
=/ sorry to hear that br0

i'm really fortunate to still have my controller

replaced the stick 3 times, replaced the L triggers once or twice, had to solder in a new wire (almost frying the circuit board in the process) after my old wire got so frayed and destroyed the controller stopped working.

i've used the same controller for like 3-4 years and it's become broken in exactly the way i like my controllers. if it finally broke one day i'm pretty sure i wouldn't play smash anymore lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Went to my first tournament in a while, got 9th losing to kels and ORLY in bracket. Lost to Tink and Rat in pools.

I tried my peach against rat but he is too smart for me to BS in that matchup. He then beat my fox on PS. I played him in a MM later and beat him 3-1. Tink ****ed me up. Beat everyone else, dropped a few games.

Took kels to last stock twice in bracket, but he was playing his sheik.

Beat sago in losers going all fox. Game 3 on rainbow cruise was awesome. He went marth and i suppose it was my turn to teach him why fox is the best on the stage. We spent almost the entire boat ride in a minor stalemate; him on the rear end elevated part and i was crouched on the lower part below. Marth actually can't reach fox there so I basically just stalled and kept him from comboing me until it sank. Once we started moving around I abused the lack of edges and basically shined and baired him into awkward recovery situations.

Played ORLY next and choked away 3 suicides again. We always go even in friendlies and come tournament time I try to step my game up but falcon's pressure gets to me much worse then.

I also choked in teams, chris and I could have gotten 3rd or higher but I kept getting really jittery and otherwise exhausted. I suicided a lot during our 2 sets with LE and Lance. Something I should really work on if I plan to keep playing.

EWC

Smash Ace
Yo Ryan what specifically do you like in a controller? Cuz I have a bunch of controllers some of which are pretty good; I might be willing to part with one if it means you will be able to have techskill.

unknown522

Some guy
=/ sorry to hear that br0

i'm really fortunate to still have my controller

replaced the stick 3 times, replaced the L triggers once or twice, had to solder in a new wire (almost frying the circuit board in the process) after my old wire got so frayed and destroyed the controller stopped working.

i've used the same controller for like 3-4 years and it's become broken in exactly the way i like my controllers. if it finally broke one day i'm pretty sure i wouldn't play smash anymore lol.
damn. Sounds like you've done a lot of work on your controller. The most I did with my current one is clean it out once a month. My controllers last on average 1 and a half years, then usually something happens, forcing me to get a new one.

This one I had for 2 and a half years. I bought it for RoM1 cuz my controller sucked back then, but it got shipped in a week late and I ended up getting it the wednesday after RoM (The controller I used before would almost always side-b when I tried to laser, and f-air instead of n-air). Because of that, I lost to rockcrock in a close set. But I side-b'd off the stage twice per game at low percent. Then I lost to wife in loser's. Almost 4-stocked him game 1. Then lost on Mute city. Then lost a close game on stadium. I side-b'd off at the very beginning of the match at 0%. Then I got 0-deathed by a stitch. So I was down 2 stocks to his 4, both at 0% from the beginning. I got him to last stock, high percent but the deficit was too big for me to catch up.

The following week when I got the controller, then we went to quebec for a tourney and I beat Kage, and Vwins for the first time ever (even 3-stocking Vwins on Brinstar game 2). Then I lost to both of them 2 months later when I forgot my controller :( (so I ragequit both sets because I SD'd so much vs them).

But yeah, Bernard's also struggling with a controller problem right now. He lost his controller back in July (or maybe june), so he got some free refurbished ones a few months ago (cuz he's sponsored), and also a free new white one, but by god does that controller suck ***. He is still trying to get used to the one that he chose out of those controllers. Also, constantly going on breaks probably isn't going to help him. But here's hoping that I'm wrong about that :p.

Went to my first tournament in a while, got 9th losing to kels and ORLY in bracket. Lost to Tink and Rat in pools.

I tried my peach against rat but he is too smart for me to BS in that matchup. He then beat my fox on PS. I played him in a MM later and beat him 3-1. Tink ****ed me up. Beat everyone else, dropped a few games.

Took kels to last stock twice in bracket, but he was playing his sheik.

Beat sago in losers going all fox. Game 3 on rainbow cruise was awesome. He went marth and i suppose it was my turn to teach him why fox is the best on the stage. We spent almost the entire boat ride in a minor stalemate; him on the rear end elevated part and i was crouched on the lower part below. Marth actually can't reach fox there so I basically just stalled and kept him from comboing me until it sank. Once we started moving around I abused the lack of edges and basically shined and baired him into awkward recovery situations.

Played ORLY next and choked away 3 suicides again. We always go even in friendlies and come tournament time I try to step my game up but falcon's pressure gets to me much worse then.

I also choked in teams, chris and I could have gotten 3rd or higher but I kept getting really jittery and otherwise exhausted. I suicided a lot during our 2 sets with LE and Lance. Something I should really work on if I plan to keep playing.
not bad. Sounds like it was fun though.

Yo Ryan what specifically do you like in a controller? Cuz I have a bunch of controllers some of which are pretty good; I might be willing to part with one if it means you will be able to have techskill.
As long as it responds when I press it and is not super stiff.

its not that big of a deal, unknown. when my controller broke at genesis i thought it was the end of the world. you get used to breaking in new ones progressively faster. ive since then broken in a couple and now, as long as i have the same shell, i can break them in in like a week.

if it finally broke one day i'm pretty sure i wouldn't play smash anymore lol.
Lol i always used to say that. trust me, that **** is not true.

edit: for me, even if the stick isnt broken, i think that you should replace your motherboard once your stick gets too loose (in the bad way). thatas why i ended up switching to the one i have now. if they get too loose, doing stuff like shine double laser with the stick and ledgedash becomes much harder. you should just get used to breaking in new ones. keeping your old shell makes a big difference tho, at least for me since mines suuuuper worn down.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Nice to know that you're still an awful person. :)
Nah I'm just really skeptical of the viewpoint that Fox Falco is EZ PZ for Fox, is super free, etc. And then the use of anecdotal evidence from random local tournaments is also not particularly convincing. What compounds this is that your videos literally never show any of the things you're talking about to use to justify your MU ratios.

I mean, if you're going to use anecdotal evidence (which is inherently flimsy anyway) then at least demonstrate some of the things you're talking about. Do that first, then we'll talk.

Doser

Smash Ace
Nice to know that you're still an awful person. :)
I like how he is an awful person because he doesn't fall head over heels in love with your poorly justified idea that Fox ***** Falco. Please make a guide on how to destroy Falco with Fox so Dr. PP will never place high if he runs into 2 Foxes early on in brackets.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
This is super vague, I know, but does anyone have advice for building up 'speed' in ssbm?

I notice that whenever I go to local tourneys or play people outside of my normal group, the tempo at which the match takes place is a LOT faster than what I'm accustomed to playing with my friends or practicing tech skill alone. I just feel like I can't keep up, and it's kind of difficult to improve this with my group of friends because they don't really take the game as seriously as I do, so most of the time I'm not really forced into playing at a real competitive tempo.

Right now I'm practicing moving about quickly and cleanly through dashdance, platforming, wavelanding, etc., but progress has been slow. My routine consists pretty much of me loading up a stage vs lvl 1 CPU and moving around as quickly and cleanly as possible, wavelanding across platforms, dashdancing, wavelanding on to stage, and so on. However, even when I do this I find it difficult to replicate the feeling of playing at a competitive pace.

Outside of playing against better people more often, is there anything I can do myself or does anyone have any tips on what I can do to improve the quickness of my reaction time, execution of combos, etc.?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
This is super vague, I know, but does anyone have advice for building up 'speed' in ssbm?

I notice that whenever I go to local tourneys or play people outside of my normal group, the tempo at which the match takes place is a LOT faster than what I'm accustomed to playing with my friends or practicing tech skill alone. I just feel like I can't keep up, and it's kind of difficult to improve this with my group of friends because they don't really take the game as seriously as I do, so most of the time I'm not really forced into playing at a real competitive tempo.

Right now I'm practicing moving about quickly and cleanly through dashdance, platforming, wavelanding, etc., but progress has been slow. My routine consists pretty much of me loading up a stage vs lvl 1 CPU and moving around as quickly and cleanly as possible, wavelanding across platforms, dashdancing, wavelanding on to stage, and so on. However, even when I do this I find it difficult to replicate the feeling of playing at a competitive pace.

Outside of playing against better people more often, is there anything I can do myself or does anyone have any tips on what I can do to improve the quickness of my reaction time, execution of combos, etc.?
idk what to tell u. playin fast people is the best way but eggm told me to try and move as close to frame perfect going from 1 move to the next for as long as possible without any pauses. its quite difficult dashing is a challenge

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the same thing happens to me when I don't go to tournaments for a while. My firs tfew hours of play are spent being reminded that the game is actually a lot faster than i usually play it at in friendlies. its weird.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
I have the same problem. I switched mains to fox from marth for a bunch of MU reasons and I play way too aggressive for marth. But I still use marth for fox most of the time. And always use marth on falco and puff. I just have problems playing faster foxes. Seems like they they're just hitting me with everything.

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This is a crazy question but how do you fight Yoshi? Any body experienced in the match up?
Pick a stage that has a top platform and camp it.

Also drillshineusmash.

I "know" the match up but I like to challenge Yoshi, because it's fun, so I lose far more often than I should with Fox.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)

One thing that's similarly important but a lot of players overlook is simply dashing out of shffls. Make sure you can shffl a nair and immediately dash away perfectly (ie no turn around animation) with either on hit or nohit situations. Stuff like that is the difference between getting grabbed or baiting someone.

Many people will practice shffls in the sense that "I will shffl nair shine combo". But very few will practice stuff like "Ok I'll drop through platform FF nair, to immediate dash away"

It's also a lot easier to see where your l-cancel flaws are if you try dashing after aerials imo.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
One thing that's similarly important but a lot of players overlook is simply dashing out of shffls. Make sure you can shffl a nair and immediately dash away perfectly (ie no turn around animation) with either on hit or nohit situations. Stuff like that is the difference between getting grabbed or baiting someone.

Many people will practice shffls in the sense that "I will shffl nair shine combo". But very few will practice stuff like "Ok I'll drop through platform FF nair, to immediate dash away"

It's also a lot easier to see where your l-cancel flaws are if you try dashing after aerials imo.
Yeah for sure. I noticed that higher skilled players can (and do) dash out of everything. Being able to have that full grasp of Fox's mobility is a huge part of my problem, I think. It seems when I miss or even land attacks my followups are a lot clunkier compared to the better people I face because I don't really have a complete grasp of being fully mobile at every possible moment.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Dashing out of aerials is something I have been practicing a lot...and especially with my new controller...it is harder than it may seem.

I first saw this when between stocks, jman usually just dash->sh nair->dash other way-> sh nair repeatedly. I wondered why at first, but it is really important to keep your movement up to speed.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This is a crazy question but how do you fight Yoshi? Any body experienced in the match up?
Uair breaks his DJ armour at a fairly ridiculous percent if you land both hits (~40%). It's seriously low. SHFFL uair > shine or utilt > ??? seems pretty good on paper against him if you can set it up. Sometimes FJ uair can work but you have to time the FF well and block or shine through whatever he defends himself with on the way down.

I'd add more, but it's entirely theory and most people get mad at me when I publicly recommend the use of theoretical strategies (even if I'm suggesting they test something or try it out) so if you want them you're gonna have to PM me or something.

leffen

Smash Champion
interesting KK, to my knowledge multihit attacks don't stack when trying to break his armor (I don't think uair is strong enough to break second hit only at 40%, but then again I play PAL) but I could be wrong since most multi hits are hella weak.

but remember that Yoshi can nair between the uair hits and that he isnt actually in hitstun if you dont break his Djc by a landslide (and he can DI when he flies a little bit) so keep that in mind ;)

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
hey fox boards uhhhh, my control stick will like keep going to the right or left whenever i hold that direction so like if i dash and i try to nair or laser i usually fair or phantasm. would you guys happen to know what's wrong with my controller?

there's something wrong with kevin's controller too but he won't tell me what it is. >_>

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
hey fox boards uhhhh, my control stick will like keep going to the right or left whenever i hold that direction so like if i dash and i try to nair or laser i usually fair or phantasm. would you guys happen to know what's wrong with my controller?

there's something wrong with kevin's controller too but he won't tell me what it is. >_>
maybe your control stick inside has built up too much gunk or sweat or some sort of sticky'ness. just open it up and use a q-tip with alcohol on it to clean it all up

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Pick a stage that has a top platform and camp it.

Also drillshineusmash.

I "know" the match up but I like to challenge Yoshi, because it's fun, so I lose far more often than I should with Fox.

Uair breaks his DJ armour at a fairly ridiculous percent if you land both hits (~40%). It's seriously low. SHFFL uair > shine or utilt > ??? seems pretty good on paper against him if you can set it up. Sometimes FJ uair can work but you have to time the FF well and block or shine through whatever he defends himself with on the way down.

I'd add more, but it's entirely theory and most people get mad at me when I publicly recommend the use of theoretical strategies (even if I'm suggesting they test something or try it out) so if you want them you're gonna have to PM me or something.
I see. I'll try that out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
My control stick is acting up too and I know the Fox boards are sick with controller advice lol.

If we wanted to open our controllers up and clean out the control sticks how would we(Twitch and I) do that?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
My control stick is acting up too and I know the Fox boards are sick with controller advice lol.

If we wanted to open our controllers up and clean out the control sticks how would we(Twitch and I) do that?
Get a tri wing screwdriver and just clean whatever u need. what exactly is ur issue

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
For me my control stick just won't register some hard inputs(for wavedashes or smashes sometimes). I figure it just needs cleaning.

I guess I can get a tri wing screwdriver pretty easily(guessing they don't have to be ordered online or anything)?

Also what do I clean it with?

Lovage

Smash Hero
twiwing's are proprietary nintendo tool as far as i know, you might find one in a "video game tool set" at fry's or best buy or something, but the best thing to do is buy one on amazon for 2-3 bucks (dont go for the 99c dealextreme ones those can sometimes be scams)

as for cleaning, the dirt is pretty visible inside your controller, and there isn't that much of it, you can pretty much do it by hand with a q-tip or a tissue maybe with some rubbing alcohol if you think you need it.

btw: super pro controller tip, never vainly open up your controller unless you actually need to for maintenance, i've opened up my controller so many times in over the years that now it's really really hard to get back together once it's open, the case barely snaps together like it's supposed to and it usually takes me like 10-15 mins of fiddling to make the case securely snap together.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
twiwing's are proprietary nintendo tool as far as i know, you might find one in a "video game tool set" at fry's or best buy or something, but the best thing to do is buy one on amazon for 2-3 bucks (dont go for the 99c dealextreme ones those can sometimes be scams)

as for cleaning, the dirt is pretty visible inside your controller, and there isn't that much of it, you can pretty much do it by hand with a q-tip or a tissue maybe with some rubbing alcohol if you think you need it.

btw: super pro controller tip, never vainly open up your controller unless you actually need to for maintenance, i've opened up my controller so many times in over the years that now it's really really hard to get back together once it's open, the case barely snaps together like it's supposed to and it usually takes me like 10-15 mins of fiddling to make the case securely snap together.
I think you're saying I still need to open it up though? Missing Fsmashes and wavedashes at crucial times makes it absolutely necessary for me but if you're saying I don't need to open it up and can clean with something else I'll feel pretty silly but that'll be good to know too haha. XD

Top Bottom