• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Not really. Fox's dair relies on multihits to keep "advantage" on shield. Falco's is 1 hit but with a decent amount of shield stun. If you want to do the retreating style, use nair or reverse bair or maybe fair.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
I got a question about shines.

Okay so when you hit someone with a shine, is there some sort of delay On turning around? I cant seem to do two things, shine turnaround bair and running shine turnaround wavedash off bair (near the edge)

Any tips on these?

Sorry If it's worded weird. Im having a hard time typing it.. Lol

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Carroll, there is hitlag on the shine which adds a delay u dont have when u dont hit. Otherwise, no there isn't any extra lag when u hit.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
It just seemed like I was able to jump out of shine really fast when I up throw shine bair. But I always get stuck when I try to turn around. I guess I'm just used to the timing of one and not the other. Thanks guy:D

unknown522

Some guy
hey fox boards uhhhh, my control stick will like keep going to the right or left whenever i hold that direction so like if i dash and i try to nair or laser i usually fair or phantasm. would you guys happen to know what's wrong with my controller?

there's something wrong with kevin's controller too but he won't tell me what it is. >_>
My control stick is acting up too and I know the Fox boards are sick with controller advice lol.

If we wanted to open our controllers up and clean out the control sticks how would we(Twitch and I) do that?
read below.

twiwing's are proprietary nintendo tool as far as i know, you might find one in a "video game tool set" at fry's or best buy or something, but the best thing to do is buy one on amazon for 2-3 bucks (dont go for the 99c dealextreme ones those can sometimes be scams)

as for cleaning, the dirt is pretty visible inside your controller, and there isn't that much of it, you can pretty much do it by hand with a q-tip or a tissue maybe with some rubbing alcohol if you think you need it.
Yeah, Tri-wings are exclusively for nintendo stuff. It's like how the Xbox has those hexagonal screws for their stuff. The NDS has tri-wing screws as well. Still, most of the older nintendo stuff doesn't require a tri-wing though (N64, SNES, NES, Gameboy Advance, etc). Also, if your controller or NDS doesn't have tri-wing screws, then it's 3rd party.

I use tissues for that. Also, if there is gunk inside the control stick that I can't reach then I use a paperclip for that.

btw: super pro controller tip, never vainly open up your controller unless you actually need to for maintenance, i've opened up my controller so many times in over the years that now it's really really hard to get back together once it's open, the case barely snaps together like it's supposed to and it usually takes me like 10-15 mins of fiddling to make the case securely snap together.
ugh, that sounds annoying. I've had that problem when trying to close some other people's controllers (I.B, Idea, and a few others).

i did the 99c one and its good, but they charged me $10 shipping which was annoying
Both Europhoria and Sauc3 got theirs from eBay for $1. They said that shipping+handling was $1.50 or so.

I got mine from a friend in exchange for softmodding his wii.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
He teched the dsmash -> jump -> missed bair that accomplished nothing.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Momentum canceling with moves doesnt happen with aerials in melee I thought
It does, in fact. Its just a lot less noticeable than in brawl. Also, i believe it only works with A moves and not B moves (or at least things like shine, marth's side b, cape, ect)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
getting that uair like chillin just takes lots of using uair when you probably shouldnt in friendlies, to learn more about when you should. been helping me start early percent combos as a mixup

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Okay, so how do you JC Shine?
JC shine is jumping out of your shine. Jump Cancel shine.

if you mean double shine, then that is simply shine, jump, shine. the faster you shine after the jump, the better. it takes practice.

i personally do downB -> up on analog stick -> down b-> up on analog stick and repeat

sick double post

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I agree with trahh. I use analog stick for JC shines for the most part. It feels comfortable as time goes on practising it.

Bing

Smash Master
I think I used the wrong term... I ment where you shine cancel in place, short hop to aerial... or is that just shine, short hop aerial, because for some reason I can never short hop out of shine...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i know what you're reffering to, It is just [shine -> short hop -> aerial]

you got the term right, it just takes some practice.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
mm nope. I would think the claw grip would be easier for x/y to B as you wouldn't have to move your fingers. I do it since my fingers as of now are too slow to go from x to b.

but idk I like the updownupdown analog technique, my double shines have became fully grounded from it.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
JC shine is jumping out of your shine. Jump Cancel shine.
Thats not what a JC shine is.

A JC shine is cancelling your jump by shining. The same way a jc grab cancels your jump by grabbing, or a jc upsmash cancels a jump by upsmashing. "JC" refers to the cancel of the JUMP

there is no specific term for "jumping out of your shine." Most people just use context to understand that the jump is implicit in "shine bair" for example.

@ Bing: jumping out of shine is as simple as it sounds. You shine, then you jump. there are slight variations in timing depending on if you hit something (due to hitlag) but otherwise there is no trick to it other than practice.

"jc shine" is when you jump, but shine immediately so you don' leave the ground. I don't think this is what you were asking about though.

unknown522

Some guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qf6hV3_zNU

Anyone wanna help me out?

Besides playing extremely fearful the third match, I had some good reads but tended to miss the punishes. I was going to use Falco but Chillin suggested I stay Fox and I was like lolz okay cause I prob am better at it with Fox.
have you been practicing lately? there's a lot of technical errors (edit: nvm, just game 1. Just a slow start I guess).

For the most part, since you're facing sheik you need to maximize your damage. You don't do many combos in this set. Just simple drill->shine stuff, and grab/u-tilt/u-air. Y'know what I mean?

Gotta make those hits do at least 35% instead of 10% each time.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Strong Bad if you have the magus post referring to this, i'd appreciate linkage (or confirmation). I know he made one mentioning this.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
How much should I be fastfalling my drills during shield pressure? Is the extra shield damage worth giving them more time to think/shield DI? Somehow I feel like shield DI isn't as problematic for non-fastfalled drills as A/SDI is when you actually hit them, but I could be totally wrong about that.

unknown522

Some guy
if you're trying to drift away, or though them. That's the only time you may not want to FF the drill. If you don't FF, then it's unsafe on their shield (character depending).

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Iirc you want to try to land 3-4 hits of the drill total, and that's mostly what matters when it comes to drill pressure

EWC

Smash Ace
You want to land 4 hits IF you fastfall.

What matters in general is that your last hit comes out as late as possible so that you get the most stun to work with.

If you do a non-fastfalled dair, then either you have to delay the startup or you'll have strict disadvantage when you land.

Top Bottom