• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Fox's DD is the ultimate anti-zoning tool. Counter badly placed moves with approaches and don't let up the pressure.

Waaaaaasssup Fox boards

edit: GGs yesterday Ryan

unknown522

Some guy
meh, they were ok.

those friendlies before were way better. So much styling back and forth.

Also, I'm taking your HORI box home so you better pick it up soon.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I "skimmed" over the matches haha, im busy!!! You were definitely the better player, but something I saw were, you added in some unnecessary shines when you should have been doing something more productive, like tech chasing on reaction.

Also, when someone spaces an aerial, in this case a bair, on your shield when you are on a platform, just wave dash oos. Most players roll, like you did, but the wave dash oos is infinitely better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
what are foxes best and worst zones?

+ tips on zoning with fox?
Zones are very relative, but i'll try to explain some basic ones.

Top platform is basically the safest place on any stage with one, but it doesn't offer any real positional advantage on the stage since you basically have no stage presence.

One of the most aggressive yet safe areas is positioned on a middle platform while the opponent is not directly below you in neutral position. This basically leaves you in a position where you are threatening more than half the stage while also basically unreachable without a solid read on your movements. There is obviously limitations to this since you can only attack so far on the stage, though there are enough mixups from this position to make it very viable.

Dash dancing under a platform is also a very safe position because you can't be attacked from above unless you are baited forward. Obviously makes you relatively safe from frontal attacks too although your space can be taken if you don't stand your ground, and some characters can still overshoot and catch your dash back if they predict it.

Generally, I really like either controlling the center of the stage with bairs/nairs and/or using the middle platforms to leave both aggressive and defensive options available.

Brookman

Smash Hero
:35 seconds in, and all that has come to mind is more down tilt. The sheik player looks kinda nooby too.

:55 Only wavedash back if you actually expect the player to dash attack/roll into you. Otherwise you give up the spacing you need to properly punish that jump

1:20 again, more down tilt.

1:43 space away from his grab and punish accordingly. Sheik has pretty solid grab range tho.

1:44 your dash dance earns you a roll but you dont really do anything with it. ..omg a down tilt!

This sheik player doesnt really know what CC is, huh??

2:19 I'm sure you've seen this tons and tons of times but attack from the platform like that, especially vs. a character with sheik's ftilt is generally not the best idea. It's not absolutely pointless but its also not . . . .its kinda predictable and easy to punish, lets leave it at that. Use this trick at your own risk.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqccO77QWVw&feature=feedu
Back again Fox Boards! Same as last time; any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I've also taken some little mental notes and want tto see if I'm on the right track, so any feed back is welcomed =D
simple stuff.

-MUST DI forward filt. sometimes it tricky but alot of the time he telegraphed it.
-your shine follow-ups were poor. you need to be able to waveshine and reverse waveshine and get a grab or upsmash EVERY SINGLE TIME(its mostly reaction). These kind of plays change the game. I play both sides of that matcup. a fox that gets you with a grab or upsmash EVERY SHINE is demoralizing.
-Dash Dance a bit tighter. Shiek really cant play the DD game with fox so like you can space her pretty well, careful tho shieks like to try to keep fox honest with overshooting dash attack, but with that you plan to shield and upsmash out of shield(see fox has answers to everything)

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
simple stuff.

-MUST DI forward filt. sometimes it tricky but alot of the time he telegraphed it.
-your shine follow-ups were poor. you need to be able to waveshine and reverse waveshine and get a grab or upsmash EVERY SINGLE TIME(its mostly reaction). These kind of plays change the game. I play both sides of that matcup. a fox that gets you with a grab or upsmash EVERY SHINE is demoralizing.
-Dash Dance a bit tighter. Shiek really cant play the DD game with fox so like you can space her pretty well, careful tho shieks like to try to keep fox honest with overshooting dash attack, but with that you plan to shield and upsmash out of shield(see fox has answers to everything)
Finally. some advice i can actually read. good stuff.:)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Does down tilt do that much against Sheik? Brookman, you seem to be suggesting it a lot.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i don't like it that much vs her

i think it's just food for her movement game, what with how slow it is

the bulk of her game vs a grounded fox should mostly be sh aerials and grab anyway which d-tilt sucks against

it also forces you to stop dash dancing and use slower, laggier movement (more dash cancels, more wd, more stationary play in general), which is something that greatly pleases sheik because then you're not constantly shifting position and challenging her zones with your crazy antics

but if they spam f-tilt or are really dumb then sure go nuts

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm speaking from a Sheik POV. I get really happy when Fox tries to do D-tilt like it's a real strategy. It's kind of cute as a mixup, but Fox's strengths lie more in his ability to challenge zones and troll people with his crazy movement game; D-tilt clashes with this.

unknown522

Some guy
the range is good.

I only use it if the opponent is coming down from the air but they're not in range for any other move, or if I hit a n-air at certain percents, especially if it'll make them fly off the stage.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Dtilt is a good mix up against Iceys during shield pressure. nair>shine pressure till the shield gets low then Dtilt their feet.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
I don't know what version of Melee you've been playing in bizarro world, but jab dtilt jab dtilt is not crazy fast shield pressure. o_O

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
no, but its spaces prefectly. doing something like late nair jab fade away shine-nair jab dtilt. if u happen to be on the back side dtilt can shield poke full shields.
so its not crazy fast, but if you know your opponent will try to action oos you may be able to catch em slippin.

but don't be trying it vs marth or sheik, grabs are too big.
:phone:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea, but you have to punch while they are grabbing, its really hard to grab somebody's jab on reaction. at least thats how I feel about it....plus from the back they can't grab you.

:phone:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Fox isn't invincible, jab a shield and you get grab.

Something that troubles me:

I tend to jab popo iceys while they are in the hit stun in the air after a nair train (nana is dead before this).

whats the best follow up around 45% after the jab?

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
what exactly is guaranteed following a successful down air (assuming they dont smash DI out of it)???

Shine: YES
Grab: ???? (YES against non spacies?)
Down smash: ????
Jab: ????
Jump, aerial: ????
Up-tilt: ????
Up-B: ????

im talking frame data here

chillindude829

Smash Master
i think that depends on how many hits of the down air u get

i highly doubt jump -> aerial or upb are ever guaranteed out of drill, but i love using jump aerial as a mixup, not sure why u even mentioned upb though

this is just my thoughts i dont know any frames

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think Uptilt, Upsmash, Downsmash, shine and grab all combo out of dair assuming they don't sdi it and you are frame tight with your l-cancel and input

probably Ftilt too but why the fawk would u do that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
D-smash no (iirc).

Grab, U-tilt, U-smash, Nair, Bair. But the last two are gimmicky so don't. I also think this varies from character to character.

Top Bottom