• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

late or not, if you nair them under about 80%, maybe even higher, they can crouch cancel and shield grab you, the shield makes this possible. and nair, waveshine leads to you being able to get grabbed before you can do anything too. nair sucks unless theyre in the air or not good enough to use this tactic lol

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
theres some stuff that i need help on.

double lasers out of short hops i see my friend do them and they look very effective how do i do them

also multi shine i've seen a couple videos on it but i need help on breaking it down and learning it.

lastly wave shining but i noticed when my friend does it i barley see the shine i can do it but its slow and hardly usefull can someone help me on these three situations

PCHU

Smash Lord
theres some stuff that i need help on.

double lasers out of short hops i see my friend do them and they look very effective how do i do them

also multi shine i've seen a couple videos on it but i need help on breaking it down and learning it.

lastly wave shining but i noticed when my friend does it i barley see the shine i can do it but its slow and hardly usefull can someone help me on these three situations
For double lasers I use the control stick.
Tap up then push B as fast as you can.
Or, tap X/Y and go to B.
It's easier for me to use the control stick rather than using X/Y.

As for multishining, either use two fingers (one on X/Y and one on B) and hold down, use your thumb to go back and forth from X/Y to B, or downB -> up on the control stick -> downB.
I would say as fast as you can, but there's a certain rhythm to it.
I had a video about it, but the entire technique is deemed as pointless, so I don't see any reason in posting it here.

For the faster shine, he jump cancels it.
Just jump with X/Y or up on the control stick right after you shine.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
late or not, if you nair them under about 80%, maybe even higher, they can crouch cancel and shield grab you, the shield makes this possible. and nair, waveshine leads to you being able to get grabbed before you can do anything too. nair sucks unless theyre in the air or not good enough to use this tactic lol
Mm.. I guess my information is misguided.

So generally, if they're grounded and you expect some sort of CCC, nair is a terrible idea?

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks for your help ill go home and try tell you how it works

by the way im in the same situation live in Easton PA nobody good in smash i know like three people so im not getting a lot of variety, but the person who taught me is pretty good so i learned a lot

Mm.. I guess my information is misguided.

So generally, if they're grounded and you expect some sort of CCC, nair is a terrible idea?
whats ccc?
you should just always expect the possibility of them doing that and just not do nair while theyre on the ground, you really dont need to so why risk it. nair can be good on the ground when youre laser camping and theyre pretty close by now, then as soon as you think theyre going to come in and try and do something they usually dont cc it and it will pop them into the air so you can utilt or nair again depending on how high the nair sent them

TresChikon

Smash Lord
whats ccc?
you should just always expect the possibility of them doing that and just not do nair while theyre on the ground, you really dont need to so why risk it. nair can be good on the ground when youre laser camping and theyre pretty close by now, then as soon as you think theyre going to come in and try and do something they usually dont cc it and it will pop them into the air so you can utilt or nair again depending on how high the nair sent them
I see, so I gotta be smart about it.

However, if I ever land a nair, is it dumb to shine since they get that reduced amount of lag from being shine aerially?

Oh and the last C stands for counter.

but the entire technique is deemed as pointless, so I don't see any reason in posting it here.
It can be useful, but only when you're 100% consistent with it.

if the nair is very late and you have momentum towards them you can get a shine off sometimes, but dont waveshine into them cuz they can grab you before you can do anything.

cc shield *****. with samus and bowser you can ccs to stop momentum then up out of shield effectively at higher percents, just sayin lol.

if you space the bair right you shouldnt have to worry about it, if you dont, i dont know, i dont look at percents when i play lol

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
if you space the bair right you shouldnt have to worry about it, if you dont, i dont know, i dont look at percents when i play lol
Keeping an eye on percentages is really helpful though. Especially when it comes to certain combos that only work at specific percentages.

Especially helpful with Marth.

Keeping an eye on percentages is really helpful though. Especially when it comes to certain combos that only work at specific percentages.

Especially helpful with Marth.
its unnecessary. i dont base my combos off percents, i base it on how far the last hit i hit them with sent them

voorhese

Smash Master
its unnecessary. i dont base my combos off percents, i base it on how far the last hit i hit them with sent them
agreed, because even if a hit sends them a set distance (normally) you would have to memorize which character its on how stale the move is, which part of the hitbox hit, what percent they are at, and you would have to know exactly how they are di'ing

so yah just go by the last hit

GOD!

Smash Ace
if nair < dair... how come all the good foxes approach with shffled nair?

Also, what do you do about a falcon that just dash dances on the other side of the stage until you approach and then grabs?

I've tried:
-Running shine --> full hop nair (usually get grabbed unless the nair connects)
- nair behind him (works sometimes)
- laser camp (works on fd but not small stages)

Should I:
-DD camp myself
-??

voorhese

Smash Master

Also, what do you do about a falcon that just dash dances on the other side of the stage until you approach and then grabs?

I've tried:

Should I:
-DD camp myself
-??
yes DD camp lol

ur not supposed to approach

I've tried:

Should I:
-DD camp myself
-??
because there are very few players who actually use that tactic lol. ive seen washington players and mew2king use it.

unknown522

Some guy
marth and sheik will grab you.

dude, like 20 people from my school had birthdays today, wth is with birthdays today.

Happy Birthday man!
parents get it on around valentines day.....

Well, that's more for november kids...

and march break...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
laser, laser, dash dance x infinity

if you want to approach, you have to hit with a sh nair. i suggest running to the middle of his DD then sh nairing towards the end range of it, because most people will try to space backwards in the DD.

The counter to that is to pivot grab early, so if that starts happening you have to nair earlier which exposes you to the original punish.

basically, either camp them or read them XD

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
they can grab you, but not without moving first (meaning you can avoid it) if you spaced the bair right and dont have momentum towards them.
I don't know what you mean by "moving first", SW. If a Marth or Sheik shields a spaced bair, their grab range will still enable them to grab you. And don't think that you'll be able to shine their grab animation. Since you spaced the bair, the shine will probably whiff and you'll get grabbed anyway.

On the other hand, if you don't space the bair (in other words, you intend to hit with the inside of the hitbox), they can simply run past you and pivot grab or CC -> grab the bair (at low and medium low percents).

I don't know what you mean by "moving first", SW. If a Marth or Sheik shields a spaced bair, their grab range will still enable them to grab you. And don't think that you'll be able to shine their grab animation. Since you spaced the bair, the shine will probably whiff and you'll get grabbed anyway.

On the other hand, if you don't space the bair (in other words, you intend to hit with the inside of the hitbox), they can simply run past you and pivot grab or CC -> grab the bair (at low and medium low percents).
im not talking about if they shield it, im talking about if they get hit with it and crouch cancel shield. it is possible to not get grabbed is all im saying

EDIT: that second paragraph is irrelevant. no one was asking for all the possible ways someone could punish a bair, i was just telling rubyiris that its possible to not get grabbed if you space it and someone crouch cancels it, let alone crouch cancel - shields it >_>

Tomacawk

Smash Master

ChivalRuse said:
My point, though, was that spacing bairs is risky in the Sheik and Marth match-ups.
unknown522 said:
you think they can shieldgrab a hit from fox's bear?
KirbyKaze said:
Bair weights exactly 37 lbs more than Nair.
According to the internet, fox's bear weighs on average 250-600lbs.

unknown522

Some guy
you think they can shieldgrab a hit from fox's bear?
no. CC grab.

edit:
they can grab you, but not without moving first (meaning you can avoid it) if you spaced the bair right and dont have momentum towards them.
they can grab you if you're not moving in the air. They'll miss if you're moving away from them though.

well, sheik can't grab you when you're not moving at some percents. Marth has to be fairly high percent though.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
im consistently waveshining out of shield now, its its amazing
nice
can you thunders oos?
I wish I had a cube, I can't even consistently shine grounded oos i need to practice

noodles, i watched game one. you are pretty solid but you should focus more on thinking while you play. you fell for some typical falco "traps"
and also work on following through and finishing combos
you also made poor ledge guarding choices. when you're on the ledge and falco is in a position to side b above the ledge, do a firefox stall for invinci frames. if he side bs get on stage and punish, but if he up b's, like he did on you, wait it out with your invinci. you can just hold the edge if they go towards the sweetspot or you can jump and bair or nair

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Noodles, you're doing fine. MDZ is ****.

Edgeguarding is your biggest problem. Like, stop using utilt to edgeguard Falco's up-b. Just bair or dsmash.

Also, if you think Falco will try to recover through you with his phantasm, ftilt it. He'll drop below the stage and be forced to firebird, and you'll get an easy shine spike.

Lastly, don't feel like you always have to approach him, even when he laser camps. It's hard for Falco to time his lasers to hit you on a platform, so if you wait up there, he'll probably get antsy and come after you, leaving himself vulnerable in some way.

Top Bottom