• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

johnburlap

Smash Rookie
uair fail

i need help uairing i can always do it without a problem once or twice but if i try to move in the air or actualy hits someone it never works any help ( i quick tap y then go down to flick the c stick up ) it just dosent makes sence to me help :(

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
i need help uairing i can always do it without a problem once or twice but if i try to move in the air or actualy hits someone it never works any help ( i quick tap y then go down to flick the c stick up ) it just dosent makes sence to me help :(
What do you mean "it never works"? Does the uair not come out?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Nah, he's just having trouble landing the second hit of the u-air while moving. As in chasing a Marth after the first u-air or so.

Anyways, either your buddy is extremely adept at SDI'ing u-airs and you have to super space and only land the second hit. Or you just need to time the u-air better so that the second hitbox will come out on time when you fly by him.

johnburlap

Smash Rookie
Nah, he's just having trouble landing the second hit of the u-air while moving. As in chasing a Marth after the first u-air or so.

Anyways, either your buddy is extremely adept at SDI'ing u-airs and you have to super space and only land the second hit. Or you just need to time the u-air better so that the second hitbox will come out on time when you fly by him.
you kinda got it right i always hit ground before the second hit comes out then i get smashed

johnburlap

Smash Rookie
i was using it to pop up for air combos ( better alternative? (up smash has end lag so its out)

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if falcon's just going through the motions without really thinking (EVERY AVERAGE FALCON EVER)
you can just randomly stop moving for a second and utilt

also if you're playing a falcon like mine who loves to dair oos, utilt is better than sex

hopefully they will all read this and it will never work again

Lovage

Smash Hero
utilt with spacies annihilates falcon's stomp out of shield

if you're getting stomp'd out of shield (because u have noob shield pressure) just throw in an utilt now and then and it will **** him every time.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
it'll make him scared to do it anymore so you can expect him to start rolling away instead of jumping out of shield. sometimes i feel like i know a lot. i wonder if i'm almost good at melee yet.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I don't even know how stomp OoS would work against someone; it's so slow. It's like trying to break shield pressure with firefox OoS.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
stomp out of shield works not because it's fast enough, but because the shine after an aerial that hits too high won't hit the falcon, because he pulls his feet up, and then hits before you can really get out of the shine and away.

voorhese

Smash Master
yah, and i laugh when a lvl 9 comp hits me with dair (fox ) when i approach him, because idk

but it works on some of my friends, you can dodge low attacks by dodging i thinking jumping has a little more potential that what i used to give it credit for (if you get hit offstage, or jump and then get hit offstage you still get a jump, but not if u double jump then get hit off)

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Any advice towards the Fox vs. Fox matchup? I do alright, but then again, I'm playing scrubby foxes, and truth be told my Fox game could be better anyway.

Also, is it worth learning the shortened illusion? How useful is it? On a scale from 1-10?

stomp out of shield works not because it's fast enough, but because the shine after an aerial that hits too high won't hit the falcon, because he pulls his feet up, and then hits before you can really get out of the shine and away.
I'm guessing you mean Falcon's Dair? Never heard of it called that before (where have I been?).

Lovage

Smash Hero
shortened illusion is extremely useful. anything that makes you more tricky to edge guard is an amazing thing. it is in everyone's best interest to master all lengths of the illusion, use them at your own disgression

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How many different lengths are there anyway? I only really use the shortest one for mixing up my recovery.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
There are many lengths. Hitting b to cancel it doesn't make it do a short illusion, it stops the illusion at the point of your aforementioned pressing of b, so just fiddle with the timing

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
first of all, the goddess that is xilopryce is here and i am honored.

secondly, i only know illusion and shortened illusion. no specifics whatsoever.
i don't feel as though this holds me back even the slightest bit.

it helps to be able to shorten it accordingly, otherwise i wouldnt consider it anywhere near as reliable. you should work on that.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
the only use i have for short (not shortest) side bs are platform cancels
but i don't do them reliably enough to try it in tourny
I have a question for people regarding shine oos and waveshine oos
how many people can consistently do a grounded shine? what about waveshine oos?
I'm having a LOT of trouble doing it. I've tried using up, using y, and clawing. I can't get it. The only way I can do it is by shielding with L, but I don't shield with L in game so it's pretty impractical, I'm not looking to throw off my power shields

Yeah it's super useful. But how many of you can really do it?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
well lemme rephrase what i said.

i only have two distances to choose from while doing side b. regular and a specific shortened version i'm used to. i have a lot of trouble canceling it on a whim or changing my predetermined input timing.

in fact that's why i still miss l cancels when i bair shields. I SUCK

Tomacawk

Smash Master
@sveet
O.o? lol
lumpy that's what I've been realizing about fox. My falcon keeps up with my fox despite my fox having better knowledge, style, and decisions, just because I don't make technical errors with falcon. It's so frustrating. =[

`DNS`

Smash Lord
the only use i have for short (not shortest) side bs are platform cancels
but i don't do them reliably enough to try it in tourny
I have a question for people regarding shine oos and waveshine oos
how many people can consistently do a grounded shine? what about waveshine oos?
I'm having a LOT of trouble doing it. I've tried using up, using y, and clawing. I can't get it. The only way I can do it is by shielding with L, but I don't shield with L in game so it's pretty impractical, I'm not looking to throw off my power shields

Yeah it's super useful. But how many of you can really do it?
why would using L be any different than using R?

lolll halfway through my post i realized that's for WAVEshining out of shield, not just shining
i wd oos with L, use r for everything else
i never really try shine/waveshine oos at all but i can do a perfect (grounded) shine oos pretty consistently.. practice multishining, it helps since shine->jc->grounded shine is the same timing as shield->jc_grounded shine

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
I can only consistently shorten my side b's essentially by spamming the b button, and there for only use it when trying to recover as a mind game.... it works surprisingly well, actually

I watched a couple of matches from Zoso, and I think his fox taught me a lot about some tactics. It was quite unique, and made me think about the way I play. I've decided to slow down on tech tricks that I can do consistently and slowly work them into my play overall. I'm thinking this will help my overall game in the long run, but I sure am going to be bored until then

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
learning to shorten my sideb to all lengths was one of the easiest and best things i've ever learned. Its like sweetspotting your upb from below, but safer because you don't even go near the stage. You can also use it to fake people out at mid range and if you try coming onto the stage with sideb you can usually get away with a shortened one once (they will move backwards to punish the regular length)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Have any of you fox players ever felt fox was just too demanding to play and want to switch mains?????? Like i just want to know if any1 ever felt he was becoming too hard to play with do to how fast you have to be. Also how long did it take for you to get comfortable doing shine combos??? These questions are for any1 to answer i dont care :)

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
I'm actually a falcon main, it's just that fox is really fun to play.

I don't find it too difficult, because I like to be technical. I get somewhat bored if I'm hardly doing anything technical.

In other words, I like to do a lot. If you ever hear me play, you seriously HEAR me

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Have any of you fox players ever felt fox was just too demanding to play and want to switch mains?????? Like i just want to know if any1 ever felt he was becoming too hard to play with do to how fast you have to be. Also how long did it take for you to get comfortable doing shine combos??? These questions are for any1 to answer i dont care :)
No johns. ;)

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Sometimes I feel like this too. It took me a long time to get comfortable doing shine combos in real combat. I'm pretty consistent now, but I normally don't beast with them. Just keep truckin'. You'll get there.

Top Bottom