• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I really am not a fan of 2.5D. I rather either pure 2D or 3D, but that art style just looks bad, overall. Maybe when it comes out, it'll look more polished ( I actually mean both Mario and Metroid).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Final Fantasy 14 looks awesome and I want to get it. If PS3 didn't cost too much for me at this time, I would have gotten it by now. It's hard to get a good pay check these days. D=

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Eh. Only Nintedo series that always turns out something great (at least personally) is Zelda, which was the entire reason I bought a Wii. I also don't own a PS3, and I wouldn't probably spend $400 or so on something that'll be obsolete in two or so years, so Microsoft was the only thing I was really looking to. I've never been a fan of JRPGs so the Final Fantasy stuff doesn't really mean anything to me. God of War was always awesome, but PS3 exclusive >: (. And no MGS4 >: (. I'm only really interested in MGS for the storyline, I don't want a new one

Apparently that Milo thing is a game, it's a sort of tamigachi thing. Personally I think that's creepy.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
guh I just hope its not fail like the prime series

Best metroid prime was the DS one :/
This statement is so twisted, I don't even know where to start.

I take you don't like Metroid games in general?

In this topic: Nintendo fanboys

Nintendo did terrible this year. If they didn't show the new Metroid, people would have been extremely pissed at the lack of good games they showed. Microsoft has me for another year. :x
Mmhm, seconded.

I love how MS and Sony both have 2 hour conferences, while Nintendo had a 1 hour press conference, 90% of which consisted a boring speech by Iwata and casual garbage that we've already seen last year...
You forgot the 5% of "Look what people think of the DSi!"

I disagree.

To revolutionize anything, you have to force change. Motion controls can never be more than a gimmick if Sony pursues them this way. There's no need to demo any motion controls unless they plan to start packing these controllers with every PS3 - it will never have a wide enough usage as an accessory to become standard, or even common.
On the bright side, they can't do much worse than Nintendo has, even if it turns out to be a gimmick.

THE DAY ISN'T OVER EVERYONE. NEW ZELDA WHOO
I thought the boundless optimism was going to be over. >.>

Other M looks like a Gamecube game, and not a late GC game like Twilight Princess, but a mid-aged GC game.
I don't get it, I thought it looked amazing, yet everyone says it looks like a Gamecube game...

Also, I take it not many people here have played Metroid Fusion? Or am I the only one whose mouth dropped open when I heard "Any objections, lady?"

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy 14 looks awesome and I want to get it. If PS3 didn't cost too much for me at this time, I would have gotten it by now. It's hard to get a good pay check these days. D=
Sure, you can be excited for FF14, but you can't say it looks awesome. FF13 is a year away, who knows when FF14 will come out. The only reason Sony even showed the vague trailer was so they can get some hype and some future followers. I honestly think it was too early.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Other M looks like a Gamecube game, and not a late GC game like Twilight Princess, but a mid-aged GC game.
Okay. I don't feel bad anymore. I thought I was the only one thinking this while watching the trailer. >_> Samus's suit has like, no detail at all.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I really am not a fan of 2.5D. I rather either pure 2D or 3D, but that art style just looks bad, overall. Maybe when it comes out, it'll look more polished ( I actually mean both Mario and Metroid).
Um, why do you think Metroid's going to be 2.5D?

I didn't get that impression, so I am curious what gave you that impression.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Also, I take it not many people here have played Metroid Fusion? Or am I the only one whose mouth dropped open when I heard "Any objections, lady?"
That's the only reason I knew it was a Metroid game, I'm not sure why she had short hair, but I guess it makes a little more sense (it has to go somewhere when she puts on the helmet.)

The Beatles Rock Band trailer looks cool, but I still won't buy it... (heh, I just saw it on G4's Microsoft spotlight, it's probably old news to anyone who saw Microsoft's conference)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's the only reason I knew it was a Metroid game, I'm not sure why she had short hair, but I guess it makes a little more sense (it has to go somewhere when she puts on the helmet.)
Actually, from the trailer, I got the impression that it's a young Samus-type thing...and, she had shorter hair when she was younger.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Okay. I don't feel bad anymore. I thought I was the only one thinking this while watching the trailer. >_> Samus's suit has like, no detail at all.
It's also unfinished. Typically the graphics improve as the game nears completion.

Although I saw the video at low quality, so I'm not sure.

If you're talking about the screenshots though, compare any screenshot of The Conduit with a trailer of the game.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Nintendo didn't do amazing, but really what is with the Nintendo hate, they showed off some good stuff.
Because they didn't show off Zelda, it's all bad?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay boys/girls, the conferences are over and so will the 'on the go' chat-room like atmosphere of this thread. Signature violations and one-liner warnings are in effect from here on out.

That will be all. :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The video I saw didn't look 3D but side scrolling with 3D backgrounds, which is 2.5D.
Well the first person moments lead me to believe it is 3D.

Still if it's 2.5D... that would make it like a traditional Metroid no?
Still we really can't base much off such limited gameplay footage.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Um, why do you think Metroid's going to be 2.5D?

I didn't get that impression, so I am curious what gave you that impression.
Especially at the part where she's fighting the Ki-Hunters (the bug-like things) it seems like a side-scroller...

But, it's quite confusing. There's places where it's in first person, and places where it's side-scrolling-ish 3rd person and from-the-back 3rd person. Confusion, much? Are they going to pull a Sonic Unleashed or something (hopefully not in any way, shape, or form like the actual gameplay...)?

Nintendo didn't do amazing, but really what is with the Nintendo hate, they showed off some good stuff.
Because they didn't show off Zelda, it's all bad?
I wasn't expecting Zelda, so that's not it.

Nothing blew me away except Metroid, and even that has me slightly worried that something's gone awry with things...it looks very amazing, and the fact that it's a prequel to Fusion is great, but...the gameplay videos are slightly confusing, I can't really tell what they're focusing on.

BUT, I'm mostly pessimistic because I hated Galaxy, so a sequel to a game that is so highly overrated (in my opinion, at least) is quite annoying, especially since I'll be hearing about it non-stop and even more people will be there to tell me to shut up about my opinion. >_>

New Super Mario Bros. Wii looks interesting, Golden Sun piques my interest, but not very much caught my eye or was even all that new or surprising.

And my goal in life is NOT to get a perfect shot. >_>

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Okay boys/girls, the conferences are over and so will the 'on the go' chat-room like atmosphere of this thread. Signature violations and one-liner warnings are in effect from here on out.

They weren't in effect before? Because I got a infraction for this tread on confirming something.

But yeah i do beleive it is 3d

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
As I said, you've got to look at specific parts, notably the part where she's fighting the Ki-Hunters, i.e. the bugs.

Parts of it are in different perspectives, though, so it's hard to tell...
Yes, I saw your post, but not until after I alread posted.

Maybe it's a bunch of different stuff. Like Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages.

Puddin

Smash Lord

Hey no fair, my post that got a warning was before this.

Uh-oh! I need to add to the conversation if I don't want another one...

I think Crimson means game that have 3D graphics but 2D gameplay, like Street Fighter IV or LBP (even if it has 3 different plains for you to switch between,) but watching the trailer it looks like you can move around and throw enemies with your grappling laser so I'm not sure I understand what Crimson is getting at.

Omis

my friends were skinny

:(
Alright everyone as he said the conferences are over. What are you guys the most pumped about? Right now Im pretty excited about MAG and Peacemaker. Ninty didnt really impress me and make me want to not sell my wii.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes, I saw your post, but not until after I alread posted.

Maybe it's a bunch of different stuff. Like Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages.
Okay, I just wanted to make sure -- the thread is moving fast enough, I wasn't sure if you'd end up seeing it.

And yeah, my thoughts are it's going to pull some sort of Unleashed. We already know there's some third person, and we know there's some first person. Confusing **** there.

:(
Alright everyone as he said the conferences are over. What are you guys the most pumped about? Right now Im pretty excited about MAG and Peacemaker. Ninty didnt really impress me and make me want to not sell my wii.
Nintendo didn't impress me much, but they held me over with Other M, so yeah. That's definitely what I'm most pumped about.

Too bad it's a 2010 release. Hopefully early '10 release...? Nah, even if it's planned for that, it'll get delayed like Prime 3, Brawl, Twilight Princess, and every other popular title ever.
>_>

|RK|

Smash Marketer
As I said, you've got to look at specific parts, notably the part where she's fighting the Ki-Hunters, i.e. the bugs.

Parts of it are in different perspectives, though, so it's hard to tell...
Hopefully the first-person mode is an at-will switch. That would be hot. It'd also make sense and make the Scan Visor look best.

But yeah, I think it's 3D. Even in that first part, Samus shoots out to an enemy to the side of her. There's also when she's using the Speed Booster. And when she fights in that lava place. Plus she throws that enemy to a corridor to the left of her. I'm hoping it's in full 3D. Even if it isn't, I'll still be okay.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The 3D Metroid games have a history of having 2.5D-like aspects to them, in the form of a lot of the morph ball puzzles. Perhaps this new company is expanding on that idea with some non-morph ball puzzles like that? The idea of switching between 1st and 3rd person view is interesting, and possibly awesome. It's definitely at least partly in 3D though, going by the trailer. And also, ditto to the comments about Samus's suit lacking in details. It looked like it was made before the Prime games. Looks great otherwise though.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I'm angry. E3 was somewhat of ANOTHER letdown. Yeah, cool Mario, Metroid.. cool and all but... Nothing sparked me interest a whole lot. Nintendo fell through here again. Microsoft I think took the show with Left 4 Dead 2, both Halo titles, Call of duty 4 2 (?)... Metal gear on xbox now too!

I declare Xbox the winners.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
That don't impress me much
So you got the looks but have you got the touch
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

My impressions of the day.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
When TWO new Mario games are announced for the Wii, it would be prepostorious to call Ninty's E3 a faliure (unless you love Zelda and hate Mario; I am personally the opposite). You could say lacking compared to the other companies, but not a faliure.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
When TWO new Mario games are announced for the Wii, it would be prepostorious to call Ninty's E3 a faliure (unless you love Zelda and hate Mario; I am personally the opposite). You could say lacking compared to the other companies, but not a faliure.
They're both sequels and neither of them are presenting any new ideas.

I hope Galaxy 2 takes some skill to not be beaten within 3 days on your first try lol.

Deception

Smash Ace
Of the Big 3, Sony and Nintendo impressed me the most. The software is all I care about, so Sony and Nintendo really outdid Microsoft in this regard with their exclusives.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo: Meh. If I was into Metroid it'd be a pretty decent conference, but I'm not. Galaxy looks like a DLC thing like a few people have said already. The four player New SMB looks just like the last one (and seriously, why use Toads. A Wario/Waluigi or Yoshi/Peach combo would have been better). And I would have liked to had seen some Pikmin 3.

Sony: I only saw bits and pieces, but I made sure to check out the sphere. Looks actually really good. FF14 seems really too soon, but whatever. GoW3 is nice.

And what the crap. The Wii Vitality Sensor. Seriously.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
My thoughts on Nintendo's E3:

It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

I really want Golden Sun DS, Metroid and the 2 mario games look pretty good as well.

The wii sports resort is another money bringer for nintendo but I have to admit that if it were cheap I would be willing to buy it. I enjoyed wii sports for what it was and resorts doesn't seem to bad (as long as it's not selling for $45-50+). If I could get it for cheap then I'll likely think about it though I doubt that will happen so I'm not getting my hopes up.

SMG2 Seems pretty decent. I think it sucks that we have to go back into outer space. I would have loved a new area to explore. Like a mario game where we were in a different area. Heck, even a sunshine 2 would have been better IMO (I actually liked sunshine, so if we were to get a 2nd version of that, except instead of Delfino we could go to the other island(s) you see at the opening of sunshine, I would have been happy). Still, I'm not too upset and it looks like it's going to be a good game so I guess I'm sorta happy..

New Super Mario Bros Wii looks interesting and playing it with my younger brother will be fun. Other then that It looks like a typical mario side scroller with not to much added.

Metroid looks pretty awesome. The graphics aren't that great so far but I'm sure they'll improve. Meh, I'm not really that much of a graphics person so it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Golden Sun DS looks really cool and I really want to see what nintendo is going to do with it. I hope it turns out good :)

All these games along with Pikmin 3 (which, even though we don't have much info on, we at least know were getting it and I'm expecting it to be out in 2010 because past that I think we'll start expecting news on the next gen), Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Zelda Spirit Tracks and Zelda Wii make me pretty happy for what we have to expect.

I just hope those games turn out good and there not ALL were getting from nintendo.

-:bowser:Bowser King

M.K

Level 55
So you got the looks but have you got the touch
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

My impressions of the day.
Fail for quoting a Shania Twain song.
But, no F-Zero or Pikmin really let me down.
The Mario titles look great, as does the Metroid title.
Other than that....meh >_> Wii Sports Resort for the Family, I suppose.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sure, you can be excited for FF14, but you can't say it looks awesome. FF13 is a year away, who knows when FF14 will come out. The only reason Sony even showed the vague trailer was so they can get some hype and some future followers. I honestly think it was too early.
FF14 is a online game. It doesn't need the work that would typically go into a single player FF title. They've already got FFXI to use as a template. That's why it was given a release of 2010. We can't always rely on Sqaure's release dates but it's very doable.

I was a little underwhelmed by Nintendo but I think they did much better than last year. Other M looks interesting (if you want to know why people say it looks like a GC title check the screenshots they've released). Golden Sun DS is a must have! That was my favorite announcement from them.

I was really happy with Sony's presentation. The sheer amount of games that were showcased was incredible. I'm going to be very happy with my PS3 this year and next. I just hope they don't release all these games at the exact same time like companies love to do.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I also don't own a PS3, and I wouldn't probably spend $400 or so on something that'll be obsolete in two or so years, so Microsoft was the only thing I was really looking to.
If this is your reason for not buying a PS3, dont be so sure. I hear they are planning on breaking the 5 year new console tradition in favor of much longer console lives.

This statement is so twisted, I don't even know where to start.

I take you don't like Metroid games in general?
I love metroid games, I hate metroid prime games. Its a very casual FPS with really, really boring fights (I can only shoot bugs in first person for so long) and terrible puzzles. I beat the first one, and have played a good portion of corruption, so please dont start saying I didnt give them a chance or something

Its the same old **** over and over again. They have to change it up (oh, what is this? It looks like they realized this too! who woulda thought!?)

edit- sorry for being such a noob but I cant find the press conferences anywhere....... I missed Microsoft and the last portion of sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom