• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Dates and times have been set and the count down begins.

Microsoft
June 1st 2009
10:30 AM*

Nintendo
June 2nd 2009
9:00 AM*

Sony
June 2nd 2009
11:00 Am*
*Times are Pacific so adjust to your time zone

E3 will be returning to its days of screaming fanboys and booth babes. But this year I'm just going to go with the flow.

Lucky me that Nintendo E3 time slot is conveniently placed in my I.T Class, were we do nothing at all.

And remember, even though we are enlisted people. NO flaming.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Remind me to reopen this in about 3 months time when it's actually close to E3.

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I am really,really,really,really hoping that Nintendo announces something big. Or Bethesda (my bad if I spelled it wrong) announces their game for the Wii. I am literally going to die if they announce a Fallout, not much for oblivion.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If Nintendo pulls the epic win of 2007 then I'm in, as long as it's not a 2008 failer

Spire

III
BRoomer
ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA

And Aztec Avenger, where in the world did you get the idea that Bethesda may release something for the Wii? They've never been in tune with Nintendo -- not even a smidgen. I'd love to see an interlude Elder Scrolls game, like, not ESV, but an off-core game appear on the Wii, but alas, that probably won't happen.

finalark

SNORLAX
I am really,really,really,really hoping that Nintendo announces something big. Or Bethesda (my bad if I spelled it wrong) announces their game for the Wii. I am literally going to die if they announce a Fallout, not much for oblivion.
I would mind a new Elder Scrolls, but then again, I never played Fallout (alright I plan on getting on that soon).

I really hope that the big N decided to quite with their "casual" strategy and announce some real games for once. A new Zelda? New Star Fox? A new F-Zero? At this point, I'll go for anything that doesn't have the world "Wii" in its title.

I hope that they're going to have a playable Uncharted 2 demo from Naughty Dog, and a new Jak game would be a nice surprise too. And if they magically got to rights to Crash back.

I think it's there's probability that Insomniac announces Resistance 3. And it would be super special awesome if they got the Spyro rights back.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If Nintendo announces something actually good at E3 I'd be shocked. Don't get your hopes up, ESPECIALLY not for Zelda or the like. The best we can hope at this point is that HeartGold/SoulSilver will get some coverage, but I wouldn't count on any good NEW announcements.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I expect the next Wii model to be announced plus something online from Nintendo.

Playstation 3 - God of War 3, Project Trico, and PSP2 will be the big things there.

No idea from MS.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Nintendo announces something actually good at E3 I'd be shocked. Don't get your hopes up, ESPECIALLY not for Zelda or the like. The best we can hope at this point is that HeartGold/SoulSilver will get some coverage, but I wouldn't count on any good NEW announcements.
Alright Mr. Pessimistic...

Are you kidding me? Nintendo is sure to unveil something BIG, even if it's one game. I remember reading an interview with someone high in the Nintendo hierarchy from last year that said that Zelda Wii would definitely be announced sometime in 2009, and what better event to do it at than this* E3?

* = in comparison to the style of 2008's E3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

Are you kidding me? Nintendo is sure to unveil something BIG, even if it's one game. I remember reading an interview with someone high in the Nintendo hierarchy from last year that said that Zelda Wii would definitely be announced sometime in 2009, and what better event to do it at than this* E3?

I think he is just not getting his hopes up. Nintendo is, largely, a shell of what it used to be. Even if Zelda was announced, I can see it being dumbed down for mass market appeal. Time and time again Nintendo has catered to the "core gamers," only to have very little return in sales, so why not take their franchises and make THEM mass market items too?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

No, I'm not kidding. Nintendo has lied before, god knows they probably won't announce it and will CLAIM that they're waiting to give news until they've got enough done on it or something, despite the fact that they talked to Sakurai about Brawl AFTER they announced it at E3 so they clearly didn't always have that policy.

Nintendo is stupid, anyways. I don't know why, but they seem to think that casuals actually pay attention to E3 when they don't. Remember last year, when they waited to announce Fire Emblem, Pikmin 3, and other sorts of games until other, small conferences?

I'm not being pessimistic...I'm being realistic. Given Nintendo's past, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to screw up again. It's not like it was just an '08 fad...unless Nintendo gets screwed over by their current strategy of catering to the casual side, they're not going to switch back. So far they haven't.

I'm not trying to turn this into a whole debate on whether or not Nintendo will suck this year, but I'm sure as hell not just being pessimistic. But CK is right. I'm not getting my hopes up. Do not try and convince me to. If anyone gets my hopes up and it's another year of wrist-breaking, puppy-loving, Cammie-centric "fun", I'll probably have to kill them.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
I hope "Factor 5" will show us the game they are making. 7-7
As PD: 2, I hope it's better than PD: zero.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't know why I get the feeling a new console will be announced.

How many years since the 360 launched? Maybe that's why. But this industry is moving strongly with it's current contenders. So for that to happen would be a little unexpected and turn the tables on everyone. I can see Microsoft announcing a new console only because the 360 is an aging machine.

I do hope Nintendo announces something. Because for someone like me, the Wii harbors nothing but sadness and filled with memories of the past (games I downloaded, old ones). The last thing I was excited for that was being released on the Wii was Brawl. I think they're in do need of an announcement of something worthwhile. The last game that was worth note (Punch-Out) feels like a shell of potential, lost. So I don't think they have anything left up they're sleeve. I WANT ZELDA! :D

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm expecting:
-a new MGS game (the countdown)
-another new Koji Pro game
-unneccesary amounts of Rock Band: Beatles and Modern Warfare 2
-TONS of casual bullcrap from Nintendo
-NOT a new Star Fox, F-Zero or Zelda for the Wii
-PSP Go!
-New PS3 colors and Wii colors (yes, finally)
-more that I can't remember right now. I think this year is going to have ALOT of megatons.
-And maybe, JUST MAYBE, MGS4+ on the 360

Stuff that I WANT, but there is a good chance we won't be getting:

-Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver North American stuff
-A new Star Fox, F-Zero or Zelda for the Wii
-A new Mario platformer on Wiiware or DS
-Heck, I may as well just say anything good out of Nintendo

I refuse to get my hopes up on Nintendo considering the last two years. I absolutely refuse.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Stuff that I WANT, but there is a good chance we won't be getting:

-Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver North American stuff
-A new Star Fox, F-Zero or Zelda for the Wii
-Heck, I may as well just say anything good out of Nintendo
HG and SS were trademarked for N.A, not to mention that HG and SS are being released on the 10 year anniversaries('09 in Japan and '10 in N.A).

Its also been 2 years since the last Star Fox game, Command. And F-Zero was subtly hinted in Mario Kart.

We just have to wait and see.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think he is just not getting his hopes up. Nintendo is, largely, a shell of what it used to be. Even if Zelda was announced, I can see it being dumbed down for mass market appeal. Time and time again Nintendo has catered to the "core gamers," only to have very little return in sales, so why not take their franchises and make THEM mass market items too?
Well considering more people know Mario more than Mickey Mouse, wasn't their franchises mass market items for a long time already

'Cause people still care about good games?

Naaaaah.
Of course not. Otherwise, Mario and Zelda games wouldn't be the only selling. People just care about a name brand nowadays. =/

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm expecting the equivalent of one Kirby Wii game announced by Nintendo due out by the end of the year in Japan, possibly spring in NA.

I expect more info on Spirit Tracks and HeartGold/SoulSilver, the latter coming out some time in Spring.

I really dislike that my DS is a better system than my wii in many ways, as I like home console gaming better.

I do not expect anything more than these three announcements that have already been made, but I do like to be pleasently surprised. I'm actually surprised that F-zero and Starfox still have such a fan base.

The problem is that Nintendo wants to make new franchises with new gameplay, and it has fans of all it's originals - Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Zelda, Super Mario, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Kirby, Pokemon, Metroid; - the list of highly popular nintendo exclusive franchises is absolutely insane, even moreso if you get into it's lesser franchises like Kid Icarus, Pikmin, and Punch Out.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I am just hoping that something good we don't already know about gets announced.

It seems a lot of times now companies just give a bit more info for games we have known about forever, and call it there big announcement.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't know how or why Nintendo, with all of the money-printing powers of the Wii and DS, hasn't been pleasing both crowds. Shelling out things like Brain Age for the casuals that will sell excellent, and things like F-Zero for the hardcore gamers that they can still make a modest profit out of.

They have nothing to lose from that. They can gain their status in the hardcore world back -- they're a joke to hardcore gamers now!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Pretty simple to me. Mario Kart Wii and Brawl did amazing, so now what they want is make games that cross both markets. Animal Crossing and Wii music were there attempts. They were hoping those two would leg until Excitebots and Punchout came out. Which again would be cross market games.

M.K

Level 55
I JuST can'T WEIGHT 4 "Imagine: BabyZ Stickerz CollectionZ!!!!!!!!

But, in all honesty, my hopes for Nintendo can't go any lower. If nothing happens, I'm content. So if something actually happens that is woth my while or paycheck, then I'll be happier than a DDD in a vacumn store.

It doesn't have to make sense, I'm gorgeous.

Hah, really? Just because Nintendo said something makes it likely to happen?
Nintendo really doesn't care about it's longterm fans. In their eyes, we've grown up and had children, and now we want to give our children the fun new gimmicky **** that they shove into our skulls after every corner.
If they announce Zelda, I'll shoot something and cut something else violently. Zelda has been the "hardcore reality check" for the past few games now.
It's been 2 years since Phantom Hourglass and 3 years since Twlight Princess.

It's been 2 years since Metroid Prime 3

It's been 5 years since Pikmin 2.

It's been a whopping SIX years since F-Zero GX

Zelda is getting boring, Zelda never interests me. Oh, another Zelda game? Get the gadgets, navigate the dungeons, kill the boss, hump some ***. I don't think we need ANOTHER title after Spirit Tracks (Oh boy, a TRAIN! *is shot*)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Don't forget about the Kirby game for the Wii, I wonder if they even going to show it in the US instead of Japan first or if Kirby Wii even exist. ♥

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Since I'm a little, "out of the loop" as far as location goes, I'm wondering where I can watch it. Anyone know where the stream or download is available?

Does gamespot show all the conferences?

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how or why Nintendo, with all of the money-printing powers of the Wii and DS, hasn't been pleasing both crowds. Shelling out things like Brain Age for the casuals that will sell excellent, and things like F-Zero for the hardcore gamers that they can still make a modest profit out of.

They have nothing to lose from that. They can gain their status in the hardcore world back -- they're a joke to hardcore gamers now!
7-7 *sigh* In a odd way, I like posts like this. (They give me something to do.)
Super Mario: Galaxy
Zelda: TP
Metriod: Prime 3
Fire Emblem: RD
SSB: Brawl
Mario Kart: Wii
Super Paper Mario
MadWorld
Tenchu: 4
No More Heroes
-------------------
Some more. (But not all)

Who is the "joke" to "hardcore gamers" now? (No console is a "joke".)
hmmmm
May wanna do some research next time.

BTW: Can't wait for E3! :B

@CK: Wow, I was sure they were gunna use the "TEV" in their next game.
Oh well, the Wii seems to be doing fine without them.
-----------------
Anyway, if PD: 2 sucks like PD: zero did, then "Rare" should stop makng games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
That's just to fool everyone so when they reveal their triple A epic super game (Kid Icarus) everyone will be all the more blown away.
If that happens consider Trolljima Number 2 on the Troll list.

And ohh yes, Trolljima's count down is no other than a count down to E3. So its an announcement of a announcement....

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Zoids, you forgot to add Mario Strikers Charged, Wario Land Shake It and Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary that game is a third party and only way to get it is to import it from Japan. ;p ♥

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If that happens consider Trolljima Number 2 on the Troll list.

And ohh yes, Trolljima's count down is no other than a count down to E3. So its an announcement of a announcement....
The thing with Kojima, he delivers. Something Nintendo can't really say they do. MGS4 was hyped to be a huge title, and it still is, so whatever he hypes, you know it'll have his touch, and it'll be great.

As for that countdown - I HATE countdowns. They add a built in over-hype that gets annoying fast. I am saying it's either MGS4 for 360, MGS5 for PS3 and 360, or an MGS for Wii (not 4, but something massively scaled down). Or, he could throw a curve ball and make this not related to MGS at all, which would be pretty great.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

I do have a guess...

Nintendo has a certain "character" that makes their games great. It is essential to their continued success that this character be maintained. Rather than becoming the next EA.

Rapid expansion tends to change the character of a company, which is a risk more dangerous than a low publishing rate.

I really dislike EA. Pretty much all of their games I've played are sports games (not a fan) and a couple of Harry Potter titles (which weren't very good). I suppose they do have a few awesome titles though.

On a side note, Nintendo did publish Battalion Wars (I don't think they developed it though). That seems to fall under the definition of core game. But I suppose most people are interested in franchises over "coreness"; at least I think I'm one of those people.

Although I'm not sure what the big deal about being "hardcore" is. Why would anyone want to be labelled a "hardcore gamer;" that's like labelling youself an "obsessive recluse;" there's nothing good about having that title, even if it does suite you.

♣ Don't forget about the Kirby game for the Wii, I wonder if they even going to show it in the US instead of Japan first or if Kirby Wii even exist. ♥
I believe it is still officially coming out in winter of '09 in Japan according to the release schedule, but you may want to check that youself, as I'm not all that up to date.

But I would expect it at E3.

I JuST can'T WEIGHT 4 "Imagine: BabyZ Stickerz CollectionZ!!!!!!!!

But, in all honesty, my hopes for Nintendo can't go any lower. If nothing happens, I'm content. So if something actually happens that is woth my while or paycheck, then I'll be happier than a DDD in a vacumn store.

It doesn't have to make sense, I'm gorgeous.
Lowering your standards FTW!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Although I'm not sure what the big deal about being "hardcore" is. Why would anyone want to be labelled a "hardcore gamer;" that's like labelling youself an "obsessive recluse;" there's nothing good about having that title, even if it does suite you.
Because "hardcore" in the context of "hardcore gamer" doesn't have the literal definition.

The next time someone brings this up, they better have an alternative term to use rather than just saying hardcore is inaccurate. Yes, it is...but that's the term that has developed and NO ONE thinks of it as negative except for the people complaining about it being inaccurate.

It annoys me. Seriously. Stop complaining about "hardcore". >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom