• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Max?

Smash Champion
That's either White Mike or PC, but either way thats hilarious. A special Birthday edition Troll account.

Max?

Smash Champion
The cape is a pretty phenomenal move, and is one of Doc's jankiest tools. Aka, it's immaculate.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Thinking of picking up doc, because i can beat zeldafreak with him 90-10 when my sheik can only do it like 70-30. Also I honestly think doc is better vs fox than sheik is.

dajuan gimme dat advice

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
in every matchup vs fox, i just find the moves that knock him down and then capitalize on wakeup stuff haha. also cg's/grab combos.

Shroomed

Smash Master
lol i'm not saying she isnt, i'm saying i have an easier time with doc
I agree. With SFAT, I have an easier time with Doc even though I have a pretty decent sheik now.

Doc vs Fox is the same idea as sheik though. Grab him or knock him over, and punish extremely hard. He should also only make it back to the stage about 20% of the time.

I think Doc has an easier time getting fox offstage because of dsmash. Just make sure you can edgeguard pretty well. I'm still lacking on my edgeguarding but that's where it counts most I think.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So I look on here, see melee discussion talking about "what SF thinks of melee", I have a quick moe moment over a ****load of victorique pics, and I wonder why everybody is going bat**** over quad fair like it's a foreign concept (sorry boss).

Anywho, cape does 12 damage. Yes. Ya know what else cape does? It knocks somebody into stun if they do any natural ledge action (standup, roll, attack, or jump; save the weird sheik thing). So I don't see why anybody STILL doesnt do this.

I guess because I don't have videos, so it don't exist. But yeah, if there was EVER a time to cape at somebody, it's when they're trying to get up from the ledge. Especially characters like Peach with horrible ledgedrop options.

___

-walks back in after vid-

ROFL.

PC almost dies to a stray pill. Timb(erland)s is still going strong. And "that area" (NY/EC whatever) really does say swag 24/7.

Max?

Smash Champion
My crew takes full responsibility for the spread and over usage of the word swag.

Thank you BASED GOD.

And Happy Birthday to Based God as well.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I hope Based God and the entire Swag movement gets blindsided by a 12 wheeler.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd find myself saying "Man I miss Soulja Boi", but every f'n time somebody says mentions Lil B.

Walt

Smash Ace
When walking around Genesis I could just stand still and listen for the word Swag and immediately look to see either HMW or G$.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Why on earth is OTG spamming so much use of the words "immaculate" and "swag"?!

If been doing that cape stuff forever now. I decided to find a counter attack for whenever Falcon spaces a n-air, or whenever Ganon spaces an aerial that I have no way in getting around. The cape not only deals 12% damage for me, but it also causes lag which messes up the L-cancel timing since most people don't expect it.

Max?

Smash Champion
You need the OTdictionary to truly understand my brilliance. A lot of it is Based God inspired, but all Imma say is I have nearly all of NY hooked on my lingo.

Because its immaculate

SmashMac

Smash Lord

I guess because I don't have videos, so it don't exist.
I lol'd at this. QFT tho. Honestly, caping Peach even when she up+Bs is a great idea. The same applies to Samus. There should primarily be no excuse not to reverse-cape, IMO.

This is why:

Run towards edge, SH reverse-cape, edge-hog
Run towards edge, SH reverse-cape, slide-bair (edge-cancelled), FF bair, DJ bair, up+B
Reverse-cape vs. Fox's up+B
Reverse-cape vs. Falco's up+B
Reverse-cape vs. Ganon's up+B
Reverse-cape vs. CF's up+B
SH reverse-cape, wave-land start SHBAWD
DI, PTP, DJ towards stage reverse-pill, bair X (1-4), reverse-cape toward stage, up+B
Reverse-cape Link bombs (so they don't blow up in your face [thx Dogy])
Reverse-cape Y.Link bombs (so they don't blow up in your face [thx Dogy])
Reverse-cape Samus' missiles (so they don't blow up in your face [thx Dogy])

Thought of a few reasons why reverse-cape might be the most amazing way to cape ever.

Max?

Smash Champion
Got 4th at a tourney today, probably had the most annoying bracket possible. Marths, Sheiks, Peaches and Samus for days.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Work your way in, get past her turnips with capes/by catching them, stay in her face, shield grab dash attacks, d-throw -> kobe, dash dance grab her float cancelled aerials (or if they're poorly spaced, just up-smash/u-tilt/up-angled f-tilt them).

Huge in the matchup: Bait d-smashes (just dash dance away from her when you're close, then come back in to punish her for missing a d-smash).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
You can reverse-cape Young Link's bombs?! Good to know.
that's the easiest way to do it.

Reason being is because the cape itself is a hitbox strong enough to set the bombs off, so if you just do it forwards and the cape hits, it's gunna set the bomb off. That means, if you do it, you have to cape early enough to where the cape passes but the reflect box is out (which isn't a huge problem)

Reverse caping just makes everything herp derp.

Max?

Smash Champion
Are we ever going to get one of those Hitbox Threads that a number of the other character boards have? I'm really interested in seeing the cape as I feel it's reverse hitbox is better suited for caping certain recoveries (Sheik comes to mind.)

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I'm still really skeptical on whether or not Mario and Doc have the exact same hitboxes on all of their attacks. I know the cape hits differently, but I think some of the other hitboxes come out differently as well.

Btw, spacing the cape is amazing for what kind of reaction you get out your opponents. I've been doin' it for about 1.5 years (right after I found out about the FH d-air approach). I feel like it's under-used. It really annoys everyone to take 12% and lag from the turn-around caused by the cape. Cape the spaced attacks (i.e. Falcon's n-air, Ganon's everything, Fox/Falco/Sheik b-air).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Are we ever going to get one of those Hitbox Threads that a number of the other character boards have? I'm really interested in seeing the cape as I feel it's reverse hitbox is better suited for caping certain recoveries (Sheik comes to mind.)
Most of the hitboxes are in the general hitbox pack that's been floating around for years (If I could access my dektop, I'd post it up, but I need a new power sup).

Kasumi went out of his way to post the gifs for doc and marios capes, and the difference between the two is that Mario's cape is missing the upper (2?) hitboxes. So like, caping most recoveries isn't different between the two. You'll start to notice if you try to cape (high) illusions and pikas going above you and what not.

I'm still really skeptical on whether or not Mario and Doc have the exact same hitboxes on all of their attacks. I know the cape hits differently, but I think some of the other hitboxes come out differently as well.
*points up* Unless im mistaken (which is possible), there should be hitbox stuff for both of them. I'm pretty sure nothing's different aside from the obvious f.smash. Maybe Doc's has 2 hitboxes on his u.tilt which would be the reason why you can sometimes get it to send people up from the ground, but -shrug-

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
to tide you over until then, http://www.mediafire.com/?u7z6938zcetmtmo

mario and doc share a lot of qualities but hitbox placement and sizes were unique on some moves when I last checked IIRC.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
*points up* Unless im mistaken (which is possible), there should be hitbox stuff for both of them.
I've seen Dr Mario's plenty of times and I always frown. Then I compare them to Falcon's and become insanely jealous of Falcon's moveset.

But I've never ever seen Mario's official hitbox photos or gifs anywhere. Do you know where I can find Mario's hitboxes?!

SmashMac

Smash Lord
If you look closely at those capes, you can see that Mario maintains the same height while Doc. falls. That doesn't seem right to me though because Doc. should gain a bit of horizontal momentum and stay the same height during the first cape. Maybe that specific cape wasn't the first one they did and they happened to get both Mario and Doc. caping at the same time which is what they needed for that demonstration.

You see how Doc's cape covers his entire body, while Mario's is a bit above his feet and a little over his head, but not by much? After I looked at Doc's cape when I was using Action Replay a few years back, that's why I decided to try reverse-caping. The range of the hitbox in-front of Doc. and behind him is basically the same and reverse-caping is just overall better for every situation.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
no, Doc definitely does not gain as much height as Mario does during Cape. that and being able to angle his up-b is what makes his recovery marginally better (but not enough to make him not sucky terrible Mario)

SmashMac

Smash Lord
no, Doc definitely does not gain as much height as Mario does during Cape. that and being able to angle his up-b is what makes his recovery marginally better (but not enough to make him not sucky terrible Mario)
I know Doc. doesn't gain as much height as Mario does with his cape, but if that were his first cape, he would've been at around the same height as Mario was, as opposed to being so much lower.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I know Doc. doesn't gain as much height as Mario does with his cape, but if that were his first cape, he would've been at around the same height as Mario was, as opposed to being so much lower.
Mario's first use actually gains him a little bit of height whereas Doc's keeps him neutral/falls slightly.

I had not realised how much of a boost Mario's gives him until I saw that gif.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
So where width is horizontal length, and height is vertical length:
the height of Doc's hitbox for the cape = the width of Mario's hitbox for the cape

But,
the width of Doc's hitbox for the cape = 2x the height of Mario's hitbox for the cape

interesting.

I always use to wonder how Renth's Mario reverse-caped my Up-B always (vs my Ganondorf), no matter how well I tried sweetspotting the ledge. I never knew Mario's hit that far behind him.

And looking at how Doc's body is actually covered entirely by the hitbox, the cape is a better move than I've already given it credit for. I'm about to become the best Doc with this, even better than that Shroomed guy :-P.

@ Smashmac: I'm pretty sure I'm heading down to SFL tomorrrow to stay for quite sometime. Palm Beach isn't exactly proximal to Naples, but it is a lot closer relative to Gainesville. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Renth

Smash Hero
So where width is horizontal length, and height is vertical length:
the height of Doc's hitbox for the cape = the width of Mario's hitbox for the cape

But,
the width of Doc's hitbox for the cape = 2x the height of Mario's hitbox for the cape

interesting.

I always use to wonder how Renth's Mario reverse-caped my Up-B always (vs my Ganondorf), no matter how well I tried sweetspotting the ledge. I never knew Mario's hit that far behind him.

And looking at how Doc's body is actually covered entirely by the hitbox, the cape is a better move than I've already given it credit for. I'm about to become the best Doc with this, even better than that Shroomed guy :-P.

@ Smashmac: I'm pretty sure I'm heading down to SFL tomorrrow to stay for quite sometime. Palm Beach isn't exactly proximal to Naples, but it is a lot closer relative to Gainesville. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Marios reverse cape is also better for reflecting projectiles, for a test run on this idea have link throw a bomb at you then try to cape it normally then after that try to reflect with reverse cape.

Also, I can do doctor mario Reverse up b cancels all day. Where you at Ricky!?

Top Bottom