• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Max?

Smash Champion
What are peoples thoughts on stages vs. Sheik? Where do you try to strike to and why? What about bans/cps?

I feel like BF is really risky vs. her, and I'm not a huge fan of dreamland vs. her either, but I'm not really sure what the best option is vs. her. Thoughts?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I just soft-confirmed that I'ma be playing melee tomorrow uraaaaaaaaaah.

__

Sheik stages, if I have FD, I'd think to go there, get some stray grab, and CG all day.

I'll tell you what yoU DONT want to do. If you're losing to platform camping, dont think that KJ64'll take the needles away. -laughs hysterically-

I say it kinda comes down to preference in the matter, there really isn't a surefired "best place to go" because we're slowly working our way to the japanese ruleset so all the decent ideas are gone.

-pours some drink out for his fallen homie Mute City-

BigWenz

Smash Ace
FD. yoshi's, dreamland would be where i would take a sheik.

FD for CGs all day.
Yoshi's just cause its small so less likely to get camped and i like yoshi's
Dreamland just cause i like dreamland and very comfortable there.

Ban FoD cause that stage is ***ing ********. should be perma banned imo.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I'm never going dreamland vs any sheik thanks to M2K. FD, yoshi's, and battlefield are the only stages I'd go vs Sheik.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
FD Yoshi's and Pokemon Stadium in my opinion. She can't effectively platform camp on those stages for obvious reasons and Doc's limited mobility still lets him move around those levels proficient enough in the match-up. Battlefield and Dreamland are just asking for ****.

Rappster

Smash Ace
what should i practice as doc?
i can wavedash and lcancel and spam pills. i think i'm getting a rough idea of how i should space, at least against common characters...

VGmasta

Smash Lord
i can wavedash and lcancel and spam pills. i think i'm getting a rough idea of how i should space, at least against common characters...
What you should practice just kind of depends on what you need to work on in particular.

But as far as learning Doc as a character, I'd say learn the hitboxes and the timing of all of Doc's attacks. This will help your timing and movement.

Then, once you have solid movement, just learn matchups. Learning the matchups is one of the most important parts of being successful with Doc. You'll probably need a human player to help you learn the matchups.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
don't forget that when you pill, you have to do a variety of full jump and small jump ones. Make sure you know how to full jump pill waveland as well.

Something you def need to practice is chainthrowing (Chaingrabbing)

Fox- upthrow 0-65%
Falco- upthrow 0-70%
falcon- upthrow 15-55%
sheik- dthrow 0-50%

(these are the percentages you can do it until (may not be 100% accurate but fairly accurate))

also know your grab to kill combos

Fox + Falco + Falcon-
Upthrow- Fair
Upthrow- Fsmash
Dthrow- Fsmash
Dthrow- Dsmash
Upsmash- Fair
Upsmash- Fsmash

Sheik-
Dthrow- Dsmash
Dthrow- Fsmash

Max?

Smash Champion
Good **** Boss! LOL @ quad Kobe. I've found you can typically link 2 or 3 Kobes together at low/mid% based on people's DI.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
don't forget that when you pill, you have to do a variety of full jump and small jump ones. Make sure you know how to full jump pill waveland as well.

Something you def need to practice is chainthrowing (Chaingrabbing)

Fox- upthrow 0-65%
Falco- upthrow 0-70%
falcon- upthrow 15-55%
sheik- dthrow 0-50%

(these are the percentages you can do it until (may not be 100% accurate but fairly accurate))

also know your grab to kill combos

Fox + Falco + Falcon-
Upthrow- Fair
Upthrow- Fsmash
Dthrow- Fsmash
Dthrow- Dsmash
Upsmash- Fair
Upsmash- Fsmash

Sheik-
Dthrow- Dsmash
Dthrow- Fsmash

just an fyi but you can actually chaingrab falcon to death more or less. once the up throw chaingrab stops working you switch to the downthrow chaingrab.

and to add to the list, pikachu can be chaingrabbed just like sheik.

Max?

Smash Champion
You can dthrow CG spacies too.... also a lot of the %'s on that list are off and there is way more going on than you listed, but I'm far too lazy to adjust it

Max?

Smash Champion
What are people's thoughts on the Peach matchup? It's the matchup in the top/high tier characters that I have the least practice in and it tends to take me a few matches to figure out Peaches who are worse than me (as in I should just **** them free). Seems like you just have to be really annoying (pill camping, bairs) and you can combo her pretty well with the right setups, still tho, I'm just looking for general advice. Maybe I can get some footage up vs. PC's peach soon since we have no good Peaches in tristate anymore.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Too many damn fox mains, that is why I am trying to get my peach better LOL :awesome:

But I just picked up peach and played a lot of games with a doc at a tourney last weekend. Pills are really annoying, without a grab, I think peach and doc both struggle to kill eachother. You have to space well on Peach's shield since doc doesn't really have "shield pressure" you may be eating an OoS nair or CC dsmash if you space an u-air or nair, or even fair poorly. I don't know much about the match up, but you are right about combo'ing her pretty well, you just have to pick and choose the opportunities to advance, since there isn't too big of a window where she can be combo'd hard.

I think I recall shroomed doing full hopped aerials, especially nair if a peach is floating to avoid pills. You can also cape Peach's floating bair if you are getting edge guarded. Sometimes my bair still hits the doc when he capes it, I don't know why though.

Max?

Smash Champion
Huge local today. Got 9th as usual, but considering how stacked it was and who I beat/lost to, I'm fine with it. Maaaaan tho, I ****ing ***** Jman Game 1 of our set, and had nailbitter game 2 and 3 in which I got gimped so dumb game 3. SOOO tight, gonna **** him next time.

I think a lot of vids got recorded, not sure. HOpefully they upload a bracket image.

Max?

Smash Champion
Palpi you're in a band? That's ****! I shred the guitar myself.

You can just look at the bracket when its uploaded, I'm too lazy to type everyone now.

Shroomed

Smash Master
hey dajuan how did your match with zac go?
It's ********. My doc loses to his falco for some ******** reason. My sheik beats his falco, but loses to his fox. My doc beats his fox which is why he goes falco.

It's always going to come down to the first match from now on it seems.
But actually ima just **** on his falco with my doc.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yea that'd probably be the best way to go.

u just gotta find that '******** reason' that he wins

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Played Ice's Shiek in R1 pools at BEAST2. Was two-stocked twice, but I played decently, and got him up to 110% before losing. It was actually pretty even for two stocks. FD-CP ftw :D

Viper, another Swedish doc main, also entered BEAST2 but didn't advance to R2 of pools.

-Final-

Aria♪
^^^ That post pretty much sums it up. I can **** some Sheik players with my Peach, and then get ***** when I go Doc. My Peach sucks a**. :/

Doc just can't do much against Sheik in general in my opinion... freakin annoying matchup

:quill:

Shroomed

Smash Master
I have no problem with sheik, she's not that bed unless you're off the stage. I have a big problem with the bird though.

Top Bottom