• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkmusician's Brawl Vids~SBHMXXI~(06/11/2010)

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
I watched afew, looks good. One thing, do you ever grab? The few I watched I didn't see you grab. I could've just overlooked, but it didn't look like you did...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Zelda for GOD tier.

But seriously, she's not fast enough for the hardcore tourney players to embrace en masse. She might end up high initially (Zelda was tied for sixth on the first Melee tier list), but will probably be overshadowed by the really fast, powerful characters: Pit, Diddy, Metaknight, Fox, Falco?, Wolf, Marth, maybe Pikachu, etc. I personally think that Pit, Zelda, and Dedede all deserve top tier placement, but that might just be me.
Speed is now less of a factor in Brawl. It's mostly about range, ability to rack up damage, and KOing ability. Zelda is solid in all of those categories, I mean, even M2K thinks she's going to turn out to be really good.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Yes I grab. I try to grab whenever I can.
Oh. Have you seen any throws that are a good set-up for the lightning kick, like how the melee upthrow against fastfallers was pretty much a guaranteed lightning kick and the downthrow could get some characters?

It seems unlikely, given how Brawl throws tend to work. I guess the real question is, when you grab, what throw do you "default" to?

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
Zelda for GOD tier.

But seriously, she's not fast enough for the hardcore tourney players to embrace en masse. She might end up high initially (Zelda was tied for sixth on the first Melee tier list), but will probably be overshadowed by the really fast, powerful characters: Pit, Diddy, Metaknight, Fox, Falco?, Wolf, Marth, maybe Pikachu, etc. I personally think that Pit, Zelda, and Dedede all deserve top tier placement, but that might just be me.
Well they changed the mechanics so that the faster characters are much weaker and will most of the time require 130% plus in order to KO. So you can't really assume that they will be better just because they are faster.. who knows, maybe heavyweights will dominate brawl :psycho:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
They didn't make it so faster characters are much weaker....

Look at Marth, Toon Link, and Pit. They are speedy characters that own.
Also, Olimar and Falco aren't that slow and they are great characters.

They just simply.......made Zelda good, lol.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Oh. Have you seen any throws that are a good set-up for the lightning kick, like how the melee upthrow against fastfallers was pretty much a guaranteed lightning kick and the downthrow could get some characters?

It seems unlikely, given how Brawl throws tend to work. I guess the real question is, when you grab, what throw do you "default" to?
Down throw to up air works. lolz Throws are pretty easy to DI so it's whatever you want to do.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Hey, I´m first one to comment new vids! (wohoo!) So..um...what to say... well, I´m definitely gonna hate Pit as my enemy and Lucario´s counter looks very spammable. There´s only one question: where´s Zelda!?!

I´m sorry, I´ve clearly slept too little last night. But seriously speaking, great battles between you two. Fights looked very good and even. In some situation you could maybe have interrupted Pit´s recovery, but other than that, very nice indeed. Clearly Zelda isn´t only character you´re good with.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hey, I´m first one to comment new vids! (wohoo!) Fights looked very good and even (I´m gonna hate Pit as my enemy) and Lucario´s counter looks very spammable. Only one question: where´s Zelda!?! But seriously, great battles between you two. In some situation you could maybe have interrupted Pit´s recovery, but other than that, very nice indeed. Clearly Zelda isn´t only character you´re good with.
Thanks. Don't worry the Zelda is coming. :]

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hey everyone!!!

A ton A TON of new vids being uplaoded. Played with my good friend Eric in San Francisco.

Updating the first post today and tomorrow and as usual my youtube channel.

New local matches coming soon as well. Hawaii is getting pretty uber. lolz

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
Hey Darkmusician! those were some great vids btw. I'm actually going to main zelda this time around because all of her moves are useful and she looks more normal lol...

well im not gonna lie, dins fire is so freaken fun to use!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Meh, I don't have a Wii, but I swear that every friend of mind does, so if I ever get a chance to go Wifi there, I'd like to Zelda ditto your sometime.

But that's probably going to be a small ways off XD

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Use grabs more frequently if you can. Work on your dodging a bit; D3's Fsmash shouldn't be landing on you so consistently.

Everything else was impressive; it's shocking how stupidly good Zelda's kicks are against large characters. Perhaps they should've balanced them to be able to land more frequently on smaller characters, but tone them just a tad on big characters.

Either way, both of you showed very solid play.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
You have no idea how much I wanted to see that spike land in round 5. That would have been a ridonculously awesome way to end the match.

Great vids. You have a very different style from me, and it's great to see how else things can be done.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
A question for you DarkM,

Do you use that tactic where you use the c-stick to make Zelda move backwards in the air while using Din's Fire? And do you think thats at all useful to anyone maining Zelda?

I ask because I really haven't seen you use it and I was wondering if I should even bother practicing, especially since I main Zelda and Peach so I would have to keep switching my control set-up one for Zelda and one for Peach...

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Use grabs more frequently if you can. Work on your dodging a bit; D3's Fsmash shouldn't be landing on you so consistently.

Everything else was impressive; it's shocking how stupidly good Zelda's kicks are against large characters. Perhaps they should've balanced them to be able to land more frequently on smaller characters, but tone them just a tad on big characters.

Either way, both of you showed very solid play.
This was my first time playing against a Dedede of this caliber. I was very upset that I got hit by as many smashes as I did. Especially that Forward smash because it's so slow. It was kinda like when I started playing against Ike. Gotta get used to the range, start up lag, cool down lag etc. I'll upload more sets today and yes I realized that I needed to grab more (which I actually do more of later) but thank you for pointing that out. b^_^d

Hey Aaron!!! Long times man!!! Good to hear that you'll be using Zelda plenty. :]

Oh yeah, and sometimes I will move backwards while shooting Din's Fire. But I use the joystick and not the c stick.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
This was my first time playing against a Dedede of this caliber. I was very upset that I got hit by as many smashes as I did. Especially that Forward smash because it's so slow. It was kinda like when I started playing against Ike. Gotta get used to the range, start up lag, cool down lag etc. I'll upload more sets today and yes I realized that I needed to grab more (which I actually do more of later) but thank you for pointing that out. b^_^d

Hey Aaron!!! Long times man!!! Good to hear that you'll be using Zelda plenty. :]

Oh yeah, and sometimes I will move backwards while shooting Din's Fire. But I use the joystick and not the c stick.
Yup, good D3 players are rare. One of the good things about D3 is that he's often underestimated. You see a big, blobbing penguin with a huge hammer and you think he's just a cuter bowser character. Then, it turns out he's got a pretty good range game, fairly good projectiles, excellent grab game, and amazing recovery for a heavy character. The fact that people emphasize only his grab game, while neglecting his other good aspects only adds to the surprise factor.

His D3 is pretty good; I feel he is almost as good as Space.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yup, good D3 players are rare. One of the good things about D3 is that he's often underestimated. You see a big, blobbing penguin with a huge hammer and you think he's just a cuter bowser character. Then, it turns out he's got a pretty good range game, fairly good projectiles, excellent grab game, and amazing recovery for a heavy character. The fact that people emphasize only his grab game, while neglecting his other good aspects only adds to the surprise factor.

His D3 is pretty good; I feel he is almost as good as Space.
I couldn't agree more. All I hear about Dedede is his grab game. (which isn't just for show) His grab game is great. I still can't tech the down throw to avoid the tilt all the time. At least the D-Throw chain grab doesn't work on Zelda. Thank goodness.

Yeah his projectiles are pretty ouch. The waddledees and doos do like...5%. And then the Gordo do like...20 ish %. Son of a >_<

And honestly, I didn't expect Dedede to be such a problem. JOHNS!!! lolz I've been underestimating alot of the heavy and big chars. Can't do that.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to use DDD but he's way hard to use. Since I'm so used to Zelda and her amazing Dash attack, I've been doing that with DDD and it doesn't quite work out.

Anyhow, DM, I'm gonna add you on my list if that's ok :p

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I've been trying to use DDD but he's way hard to use. Since I'm so used to Zelda and her amazing Dash attack, I've been doing that with DDD and it doesn't quite work out.

Anyhow, DM, I'm gonna add you on my list if that's ok :p
Sure thing Ztar. :]

I'm so close to coming home. Then I'll sit down and add everyone. ^_^

therukus

Smash Cadet
Gotta say Dm... the consistency in which you land the ss bair/fair's is really impressive. Also nice to watch a zelda that spams as much as I do (lol).

Would love to play wifi with ya if it doesn't lag horribly. :)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Gotta say Dm... the consistency in which you land the ss bair/fair's is really impressive. Also nice to watch a zelda that spams as much as I do (lol).

Would love to play wifi with ya if it doesn't lag horribly. :)
Thank you. I like the kick cause it's a great move to just throw out and space with. I prefer the term "calculated over usage" instead of spamming. lolz

Uploading many more sets right now. Some Lucario stuff too. I give Eric alot of credit. He can use so many different characters. I am once against a one trick wonder. And a little Lucario. :3

I'll be home in like 1 1/2 days so I will add you for sure. :]

~preCurser

Smash Cadet
Loved the Luigi and D3 matches. Heel was amazing as usual, but do you find it easy to use that "calculated over useaged" online? If not, whats do you use for spacing/approaching?

I'll bug you about an online game when you get home, if you have time.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I've recently picked up some interest on Lucario; he seems so...well-rounded, not excellent on everything, but not bad either. What I find fascinating about him, though, is that, unlike most characters, one feels that one can play aggressively at higher percentages, instead of turtling out. His game feels pretty much like the character perfectly equipped to play catch-up and completely turn tides.

Before I experiment on him, though, I'm working on perfecting my Sheik. I still believe that it's so wasteful just to play with a character that was designed with hybridism in mind.

After that, it's Zamus, D3, Jiggs, Wario, and Lucario in that order.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I've recently picked up some interest on Lucario; he seems so...well-rounded, not excellent on everything, but not bad either. What I find fascinating about him, though, is that, unlike most characters, one feels that one can play aggressively at higher percentages, instead of turtling out. His game feels pretty much like the character perfectly equipped to play catch-up and completely turn tides.

Before I experiment on him, though, I'm working on perfecting my Sheik. I still believe that it's so wasteful just to play with a character that was designed with hybridism in mind.

After that, it's Zamus, D3, Jiggs, Wario, and Lucario in that order.
Very cool Lucrece. :] Good luck with that.

Just fo Fun. ^_O>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04fV98lcS4

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, I liked the dair's you connected; the video made them seem as if they weren't the garbage they are.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I'm sorry I almost forgot to mention.

I added the vids to my FileFront so they'll be up for a couple weeks.
Grab um if you want. I'll add my filefront link to my first post.

I also posted the song to my latest vid Just fo Fun entitled "Ohayou!" from Parapara Max Album 3 along with of course some video game osts, and the song Bloody Tears which I used in Gimpyfish: The Movie.

therukus

Smash Cadet
I'll grab my friend code sometime tomorrow and throw it up here.

Quick question though, how are you recording your matches? I want to upload some of mine but I'm sort of puzzled as to how.

mOojc

Smash Rookie
Nice videos Darkmusician, great for us Zelda noobs to see how a pro fights. :D

Top Bottom