• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkmusician's Brawl Vids~SBHMXXI~(06/11/2010)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I' m really tired of people in your vids saying " how did zelda win?" "sheik can win but zelda
sucks!". "why didnt you use sheik." some people dont realize how good zelda is. just because
a character is low tier doesnt mean they suck. But then some people can never get over
the whole princesses winning thing.
Well honestly when people said Zelda sucks in Melee it was true. She wasn't a very strong character. But I agree that I don't like one char should be overshadowed by another. It's nice to see a bit more balance in the game this time.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I' m really tired of people in your vids saying " how did zelda win?" "sheik can win but zelda
sucks!". "why didnt you use sheik." some people dont realize how good zelda is. just because
a character is low tier doesnt mean they suck. But then some people can never get over
Yeah really. I've mained Sheik in Melee for a little under a year, but recently our games have been more multiple player free for alls, in which my Sheik gets wrecked because I can't Downthrow into Tilt Combos into dash attack into more tilt combos into a couple of aerials into a slap/updrill for the kill. Generally it would go more like "grab, get forward smashed by the other guy behind me". So one match, I forgot to hold A at the begining, and went "What the hell, let's try this". I had only some prior Zelda experience, because I wasn't playing my main when I was home over break (brother has less experience and mains Luigi, Sheik is just a massacre) so I was playing random characters. To my surprise, Zelda went ahead and dominated that match, and the next couple. Without people up in your grill all the time, Lightning Kicks are so easy to pull off, and her recovery's disadvantages are mitigated.

So I decided to try Zelda for some 1v1's. And, surprisingly enough, I had at least as good results against many people. A lot of people don't know how to properly fight a Zelda, while they may have a very well-tuned game and set combos against Sheik. I've taken to playing Zelda at least as often as Sheik these days, and have dug up some nice combos for many of her moves (Ftilt often slashes them behind you, perfect height for a Short hopped back Lightning Kick, etc). Everything I see about Brawl Zelda, plus the few games I got to play with her only made things more certain: I'm going to be a Zelda Main in Brawl. Her Lightning Kick is SO satisfying :).

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Originally, I decided to main Zelda over my first main (Sheik) just to spite those people. It was more impressive to win consistently with a "reject" character with the best Down+B in the game than with Sheik.

But playing with Zelda for a short while, her style is much more entertaining than Sheik's ever was. And now that you actually get BANG for your buck with Zelda in Brawl, it'll be even more entertaining then before ^_^

Darkmusician

Smash Master
*wibbles around, hoping for a FileFront upload*

;)
Sorry Blink. I'm choke busy tonight. I won't have time to upload filefront till maybe next week monday. I'm sorry.

And yeah I'll see if anyone wants to use Peach against me. Peach is pretty fast.

goodkid

Smash Lord
DM, can you see if N-air combos to u-tilt and Upsmash, and can you find out if spammed moves really weakens the knockback of her kicks and smashes.

Iris

Smash Ace
WHOA. Round 2 against Toon Link, at :35, did Din's Fire meteor? Oh god, it's getting even better. Does Din's Fire like, push enemies the opposite direction they're gaining momentum in?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You've inspired me to put Zelda on my "To main" list. You did really good in your videos!
Advice: If a strong projectile is coming towards you, Use neutral B. As For Lucas' PK fires, you should see if neutral B helps you. You could be one of my ideal partners for 2v2 battles. Anyways, keep up the good work and thanks for the Inspiration!

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
WHOA. Round 2 against Toon Link, at :35, did Din's Fire meteor? Oh god, it's getting even better. Does Din's Fire like, push enemies the opposite direction they're gaining momentum in?
Din's fire sends opponents UP. If you look closely, Toon Link was sent up, but collided with the ship, so he went straight down.

Iris

Smash Ace
Hah, I suppose that makes more sense. That would've been an interesting concept.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Wow DM, you really took the kick-spam thing to heart. Anyway, awesome new videos!

Round 2 against Arvy's Lucas:

@ 4:47: As far as absorbing Din's Fire goes for Lucas, if you shoot him from behind he'll take damage, correct? I haven't seen it in action (he let go just before you fired), but I'm assuming this would have been the case if he held his psi-magnet anyway. Could you confirm that please?

@ 3:20-3:24: Niiiiiice. Great work there, I enjoyed watching that.

Again, thanks for your new videos.

RoyalLance

Smash Apprentice
I think DarkMusician's Zelda is tight considering you didn't get much time with Brawl. :bigthumbu

But MellowD's Toon Link give me nightmares. :urg:

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Quick question, is there any viable way to make Uair kills consistently? Or is it sort of a situational thing. Because Uair was one of my favorite moves in Melee and I'm so glad to hear it has been buffed to hell, but out of every video I've seen I've only seen it connect maybe twice.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Your vids are still one of the greatest things I've ever seen on Youtube. The kick is just so satisfying, especially as a match ender.

One thing it looks like though is your edgeguard technique is still fairly predictable. You Din's Fire close to the edge, and try to juggle them with it a couple of times, and if they airdogde through you Dsmash or Fsmash on the edge to sweep them out again. It's solid, but if they can sweetspot the Ledge they're fairly clear. It certainly seems effective, but especially seeing how Lucas punished this with this Psi magnet, and I've seen vids of Game and Watch doing far worse with the bucket, there have to be alternatives. Where are the gutsy jumps out into Lightning Kicks, or better yet, Thunder Spikes? Or even ledgehogging characters like Olimar. Did you get a chance to try out that Naryu's Love into Edgehog thing? There was a bit of jumping off for attempted Lightning Kicks in the Toon Link 3 match, but it didn't seem to go too well.

Another suggestion I have is trying Naryu's love as a projectile spamming counter. Especially in your matches against Young Link, I see you regular shielding several barrages of Short Hopped Arrows. Isn't Naryu's love quick enough now to punish this kind of behavior?

I do like your use of Farore's Wind as an offensive recovery. I saw a very low percent kill on a Wolf who just didn't know what hit him. Unfortuantely, the second and third times you tried it that match didn't go as well, and he simply dodged or punished you for it when the hitstun wore off. It seems like the kind of thing you can pull out maybe once a match, but it shouldn't be something to make a habit of.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Thank you for the input. Yeah I was trying many different things. I should probably have more balls when I jump off the stage. Long as I don't fast fall I can make it back from pretty far.

Yes you're absolutely right. I charge projectiles too much. Probably just comes from rushing lazers back in the day. I'm pretty sure Lucas's magnet is auto absorb. He turns around or something if it goes behind him.

Oh and I didn't get a chance to try the naryus hog thing. My movements are still awkward off the ledge but I think in this game Dair is better for killing of the edge than kick. Upair is easier to kill light characters with as well compared to kick.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Lucas's magnet is auto absorb. He turns around or something if it goes behind him.
Oh, okay. Thanks.

Oh and I didn't get a chance to try the naryus hog thing. My movements are still awkward off the ledge but I think in this game Dair is better for killing of the edge than kick. Upair is easier to kill light characters with as well compared to kick.
Okay, now for another annoying question. Does Naryu's still slow your mommentum when used in the air? In some of your matches it does, but in others it seems to fall quickly (generally when high in the air). An example of it being quick would be in your third match against Arvy's Lucas, at around 2:18-2:19. It looks like you fast-falled(fell?) out of it. Is that because it lasts shorter in the air (according to our beloved dojo)? I am, as usual, curious.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Very nice vids and I'm so glad you've toned down on kicking. Zelda has really nice costumes. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the blue or not, but it's actually pretty cool.

Edit: I have to say that I'm really impressed at how you've started aggressively playing off the edge, but nothing has ever made me more aware of how difficult Zelda's aerials are and how dangerous it is for her to get back up on the stage.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yeah I'll get right on it. v^_^

I will be using Red and Green I think. I like the Red one more than the Green one now. But Green has kinda been my primary color for awhile so who knows.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Can do. Hopefully my friend will be willing to play next time cause he's the best player in Hawaii imo and his snake is supposed to be really good. He's always too tired to play whenever I get there though. -_-

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Great new videos. Yay for Nair and Usmash!
Btw, thx for playing with different costumes. Melee and Blue is awesome :)

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
It was interesting to see Din's Fire blow up the bomb against toon Link and kill him on Pokemon Stadium. That was quite a surprise despite Toon Link at 130+ damage

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Should consider ditching Youtube for Stage6 :D

And your vids made me sad, as a Lucas mainer to be :(
Only stage6 is about to shut down :(
http://www.stage6.com/

Great zelda vids you got there darkmusician. thumbs up
I got a bit strange request if you're still taking them. Could you record a match in special angled brawl? I'm really curious about it

the option is at the bottom right corner if you didn't know where it is

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yeah I think I can try that. I'll be playing s'more in about 5-6 days.

Also I'll organize all my vids on the front page by today.

Top Bottom