• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkmusician's Brawl Vids~SBHMXXI~(06/11/2010)

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Cool videos! You were amazing :)

Though Zelda looks so much better in Brawl. Are her sweetspots easier to land? Because you certainly were very accurate with them, especially with her F/B Air.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Cool videos! You were amazing :)

Though Zelda looks so much better in Brawl. Are her sweetspots easier to land? Because you certainly were very accurate with them, especially with her F/B Air.
Thanks man.

Her sweet spots for her kicks are much harder to land. I know alot of it looks like I'm spamming it over and over. (din's fire also) But what I was trying to do was try to find the sweet spot and understand the changes as soon as possible. There's still much about Zelda that I don't understand that I want to understand. So I'll keep you updated with any new information on Zelda and her sweet spots.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Thanks man.

Her sweet spots for her kicks are much harder to land. I know alot of it looks like I'm spamming it over and over. (din's fire also) But what I was trying to do was try to find the sweet spot and understand the changes as soon as possible. There's still much about Zelda that I don't understand that I want to understand. So I'll keep you updated with any new information on Zelda and her sweet spots.
Your good at using it though, dispite it's smaller sweetspot. It's defenetly much more powerful than in Melee, that's for sure, so it isn't all that suprising that it's harder to hit with.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Green is now my favourite Zelda outfit.

And its all thanks to YOU Darkmusician!
-bow-

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Din's Fire is crazy! My fav move for sure, and I love your Zelda since you tend to use it a lot :D
Oh and, how is Nair actually? Is it still hard to hit with the full string of the move?

Thx for the videos! ^^

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Din's Fire is crazy! My fav move for sure, and I love your Zelda since you tend to use it a lot :D
Oh and, how is Nair actually? Is it still hard to hit with the full string of the move?

Thx for the videos! ^^
The nair still works well. It seems to have more bite to it now.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Very nice. Although I'm not sure I like the green dress anymore.
Oh how come?
I know the green dress was like the least used in Melee. I like many of the red costumes in Brawl though. Peaches new red one stands out cause she never had one before. Also metaknights one.

A few more vids up.

The ZSS one is really long so I didn't want to put it up, but Arean requested it so here it is.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Oh how come?
I know the green dress was like the least used in Melee. I like many of the red costumes in Brawl though. Peaches new red one stands out cause she never had one before. Also metaknights one.
I'm not sure. It just strikes me as kind of...normal for some reason. It's still nice, but not as interesting as the other ones. It might be that the brunette hair and green clothing is very typical. Anyway, I really liked your Dair to Fair combo and I think the match between you and Ganondorf proved that while DF can be easily air dodged, it still screws people up.

Also you kick alot >_>. Like...alot alot <_<. Lol

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I'm not sure. It just strikes me as kind of...normal for some reason. It's still nice, but not as interesting as the other ones. It might be that the brunette hair and green clothing is very typical. Anyway, I really liked your Dair to Fair combo and I think the match between you and Ganondorf proved that while DF can be easily air dodged, it still screws people up.

Also you kick alot >_>. Like...alot alot <_<. Lol
Yeah. Melee instincts. lolz

Hopefully by the next month I'll become for fluid in my attacks.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
nice to see your melee speed and skills transfered over.
great use of din's fire. I've seen some zelda player who dont
even use it. They will hit their opponent off the edge then just stand
their a wait till the opponent gets back their face. which doesn't make sense.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
nice to see your melee speed and skills transfered over.
great use of din's fire. I've seen some zelda player who dont
even use it. They will hit their opponent off the edge then just stand
their a wait till the opponent gets back their face. which doesn't make sense.
Thank you. :]
It's still a little awkward but I'll be getting the flow of Brawl soon. And yes if you gonna just stand there you may as well grab the edge at least. lolz I personally like to just jump out there and scare them.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still find the poorly managed kick spamming a bit difficult to watch when Zelda has so many other viable moves now. Not to mention kicks are much easier to punish when shielded now, sweetspotted or otherwise.

Also, when you dtilt, don't be afraid to input your next move faster than you are currently. Trust me, it'll come out and you'll suddenly have dtilt combos out the ***.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I still find the poorly managed kick spamming a bit difficult to watch when Zelda has so many other viable moves now. Not to mention kicks are much easier to punish when shielded now, sweetspotted or otherwise.

Also, when you dtilt, don't be afraid to input your next move faster than you are currently. Trust me, it'll come out and you'll suddenly have dtilt combos out the ***.
I'm sorry that I spam. It's Melee instincts. I'll do my best to stop spamming because yes I am well aware that shielded kicks can be easily shield grabbed sweet spotted against the shield or otherwise.

I'll try the dtils and nairs and dairs next time I play. I'll try all of the things that you've recommended. Again I apologize for the lack of variety.

Levitas

the moon

Ironic, considering your custom title.

But yeah, it's cool that I can now list Zelda's usable moves on more than one hand. I can't stop thinking about how much I want another taste of the brawl zelda.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I'm sorry that I spam. It's Melee instincts. I'll do my best to stop spamming because yes I am well aware that shielded kicks can be easily shield grabbed sweet spotted against the shield or otherwise.

I'll try the dtils and nairs and dairs next time I play. I'll try all of the things that you've recommended. Again I apologize for the lack of variety.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fact that you're bothering to put these up is great. Play how you want to play; it seems to be working for you well enough at this point in time. At any rate, it's not like you won't ease into the Brawl groove eventually. It's not all that bad, keeping in mind you're only going to improve. I'll keep watching them either way. :]

...although, a little less kicking couldn't hurt. ;)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yeah it's a work in progress. And yes it is ironic. Bout the whole fire and kicking thing. :/

I can't wait for another shot at that game.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know what happened to NinjaLink's videos? I think this is like my 4th time asking >_< He used lots of nairs, and also used Farore's Wind as an offensive move a lot. You should try that out :)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's not much ironic. Din's Fire spam = good. It makes (most) characters come to you on your terms. Kick spam in Brawl is really very easily defeated and punished. :urg: At least when I tried it whe playing this past week. Move decay too, further ineffects kick spam. If you must do it, use one kick for damage, and the other for the KO, and do not sourspot with that one, because that sharply decreases the sweetspot's power and you'll have to create another opening to hit them.

Also, if there is still any confusion about how kicks work in Brawl, my friends and I agree on this diagram I made (not exact):

2 is obviously the 21% sweetspot. 1, 3, and 4 all produce the 4% damage weakspot. 2 takes priority over 1 if they both connect with the enemy. However, 3 and 4 take priority over 2.

If you want to get a visual of Melee's kick, then 1 and 2 are combined into one distinct hitbox, and that produces the 20% sweetspot. 3 and 4, the 10% sourspots, still take priority over 1+2 if any combination of those hitboxes connect simultaneously.

Also, do not take offense to me. My standards are rather high.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Don't forget also that Dair has similar functionality now. If there were reliable combos with it, perhaps two kicks could be used for damage, and one could then be used to KO with.

It's pretty astonishing that the sweetspot shrunk THAT much (even if it is just an estimation). It kind of makes it more exciting if you land one, I bet :p

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Hey, spam all you like, it's certainly gotten some good results, at least from the vids I saw.

I would be interested to see some sort of setup in to her other low % kill moves, however. What moves are a good combo into the THUNDER SPIKE (Dair)? What sets up the Upair kill? Anything that lets you get off an uptilt at ~115% (should be lethal there)? It's great that she has so many potential kill moves, and the WORST of them needs only a bit over 100%. The few Brawl matches I've played have easily gone over 150% every life, barring shenanigans like walking into a fully charged killing smash (or a well timed LIGHTNING KICK).

Edit: @Ryoko - Have you noticed any difference in the timing of the sweetspot of the L-Kick? From the little bit I played, I had several kicks that definitely would have been sweet in Melee, but seemed to hit a few frames too late in connecting with the sweet spot, so thus "whiffed". Or does your "1" hitbox just override the sweet spot hitbox, and that's the trouble I was having?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Anyone know what happened to NinjaLink's videos? I think this is like my 4th time asking >_< He used lots of nairs, and also used Farore's Wind as an offensive move a lot. You should try that out :)
No idea, but he had amazing variety in his playing style. I also want to see more of that Zelda player that fought the Ike CPU. Lots of potential I think.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Edit: @Ryoko - Have you noticed any difference in the timing of the sweetspot of the L-Kick? From the little bit I played, I had several kicks that definitely would have been sweet in Melee, but seemed to hit a few frames too late in connecting with the sweet spot, so thus "whiffed". Or does your "1" hitbox just override the sweet spot hitbox, and that's the trouble I was having?
The way the kick hitboxes are placed in Brawl are entirely counterproductive to late sweetspot hits which were definitely possible in Melee. You'd often just with with #1 before #2 has a shot of reaching the opponent. Aside from that, I'm fairly convinced the sweetspot is only there for 1-2 frames also, but this needs further testing.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
The way the kick hitboxes are placed in Brawl are entirely counterproductive to late sweetspot hits which were definitely possible in Melee. You'd often just with with #1 before #2 has a shot of reaching the opponent. Aside from that, I'm fairly convinced the sweetspot is only there for 1-2 frames also, but this needs further testing.
Wow, that sounds pretty dire. If I had trouble landing the sweetspot in Melee, do you think I should even bother in Brawl, or focus on landing damage through other means? Yes, I am admittedly a very green player.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Wow, that sounds pretty dire. If I had trouble landing the sweetspot in Melee, do you think I should even bother in Brawl, or focus on landing damage through other means? Yes, I am admittedly a very green player.
Well, if this were Melee, Zelda's ONLY good ways of stacking damage and kills were her Fair/Bair, with some other stuff mixed in to break up the monotony.

But this is Brawl, in which most of Zelda's everything got majorly buffed. So you have more options. In exchange, she has become even MORE difficult to use properly. So, the only advice I can offer is that if you're willing to put in the practice to nail those sweetspots each time (or at least most of the time), especially since you get a major reduction in knockback and damage for every miss or hit, then by all means, play Zelda.

Especially since she's by far the coolest character in the roster ^_^

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Oh I will, main Zelda. I just remember all the trouncings I received as while trying to land that kick in Melee, can't imagine how bad it will be in brawl.

Ah well. There's always Din's Fire spam. :p

Feranel

Smash Rookie
Darkmusician, think you can upload some video's with Zelda in OOT outfit?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Darkmusician, think you can upload some video's with Zelda in OOT outfit?
Sure thing. :] In fact I'll rotate through all of her colors for all of you. ^_^

Man last night was rough. Didn't get home till midnight. lolz

Lemme try make a quick list of things I was asked/recommended to do. So I don't forget.

1. Try all Zelda costumes
2. Less Kick spam (old habits die hard) XD
3. Experiment with Din's Fire (mindgames, DI, possible set ups for Dair and others)
4. Record a Zelda Ditto
5. More Nair, Dair, Up smash, and Tilts

I'll be recording alot. And I mean ALOT. Not just of my Zelda but the other guys as well. MellowD, iChaos etc. You may remember some of the other names from my past videos like Firefly, AnubisGX, MastaChunYin, Rob and others. I hear that Rob is super good. Hasn't lost yet. o_o''

Also if anyone has any Stage or Character matchups that they'd like to see please let me know. It doesn't have to be Zelda vs (instert) it can be anything. If you wanna see more MellowD matches or more idk...Snake matches just lemme know. I'll try to type everything down somewhere so I won't forget. But this is all for you guys so don't hesitate to ask.
^_O>

Drake3

Smash Ace
I really want to see a good Zelda vs Marth (or Ike or Samus or Sheik or Peach or Fox or pretty much anybody fast) video. :)

Lonewolf X

Smash Rookie
Very solid Zelda play, DarkMusician. I like how all your videos almost end with the Lightning Bolt Kick and have you winning too.

Quick questions:

1) When fighting the CPU, they literally fall for d-tilt repeatedly followed up by f-smash. Of course, human players will DI out of it. Do you think you the fall depends on weight, low percentages, or a combination of both?

2) You space very well, especially at the center of the stage. However, what do you think of for a lack of a better term, Short Hop Din's Fire with Zelda moving in offensively and defensively?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Very solid Zelda play, DarkMusician. I like how all your videos almost end with the Lightning Bolt Kick and have you winning too.

Quick questions:

1) When fighting the CPU, they literally fall for d-tilt repeatedly followed up by f-smash. Of course, human players will DI out of it. Do you think you the fall depends on weight, low percentages, or a combination of both?

2) You space very well, especially at the center of the stage. However, what do you think of for a lack of a better term, Short Hop Din's Fire with Zelda moving in offensively and defensively?
1. I honestly haven't used the down tilt enough in real match situations. If I did it was because I didn't down smash. -_- I fail lolz. But I will get back to you with down tilt footage.

2. Thank you. Spacing has been the name of my game for about a year. :] I think that is an excellent suggestion and that's one more thing I will try to use this week. Thanks for the idea. ^_O>

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
1. I honestly haven't used the down tilt enough in real match situations. If I did it was because I didn't down smash. -_- I fail lolz. But I will get back to you with down tilt footage.
Watching other videos, it seems to be considerably more useful. Or at least it can combo into things better. Especially itself.

I wouldn't know that well though, because I made very sparing use of it in Melee.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
I' m really tired of people in your vids saying " how did zelda win?" "sheik can win but zelda
sucks!". "why didnt you use sheik." some people dont realize how good zelda is. just because
a character is low tier doesnt mean they suck. But then some people can never get over
the whole princesses winning thing.

Top Bottom