• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkmusician's Brawl Vids~SBHMXXI~(06/11/2010)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I like the music for the videos. How did you get it play something other than Brawl music?
I actually just edit it in. When I work with them in iMovie. I think it kinda works in some situations. Sometimes it almost sounds like I edited the Game Disk or something yah? :]

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Thank you. :] I'll be trying other soundtracks just for fun.

In a way it kinda helps me with the fact that some games were excluded from Brawl.

Like Yggdra Union for example. :p

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I actually just edit it in. When I work with them in iMovie. I think it kinda works in some situations. Sometimes it almost sounds like I edited the Game Disk or something yah? :]
I have brawl music turned completely off, but all the sound effects left on.
I just play the game and use my ipod to play music separately at the same time.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Ah that's cool. I wait until afterwards and insert the music by hand. That way I can sync it with everything to give it the illusion that it is actually part of the game.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Ah that's cool. I wait until afterwards and insert the music by hand. That way I can sync it with everything to give it the illusion that it is actually part of the game.
I think for uploading videos that is definitely the way to go

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
I like your Zelda a lot. In fact... I play it almost exactly the same...

I have one tip, and one question.

My tip: I noticed when you were charging at them with your dash attack your opponent sheilded then counter-attacked (for instance in the first falco match). What you can do in a situation like that that's quite handy is after using your dash attack immidiately d-smash. There's hardly any lag at all (less that your opponents sheild anyway) and d-smash is such a fast attack that few attacks will be able to get through. The exception is MK however who has insane priority.

My question: Is there a reason why you kept cutting the fireballs short? Do people usually run into them if you do? Thanks.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I like your Zelda a lot. In fact... I play it almost exactly the same...

I have one tip, and one question.

My tip: I noticed when you were charging at them with your dash attack your opponent sheilded then counter-attacked (for instance in the first falco match). What you can do in a situation like that that's quite handy is after using your dash attack immidiately d-smash. There's hardly any lag at all (less that your opponents sheild anyway) and d-smash is such a fast attack that few attacks will be able to get through. The exception is MK however who has insane priority.

My question: Is there a reason why you kept cutting the fireballs short? Do people usually run into them if you do? Thanks.
Oh you play just like me? Got vids?

There are more exceptions to your tip than just Meta Knight, but I'll look into it.

Dins fire is one big mind game. I judge every situation as best as I am able and lengthen or shorten it accordingly.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit I've started incorporating a lot of your movesets into my own since I've seen your videos. Played my friend today and pretty much ***** him XD. Thanks for posting these up :D

Facet

Smash Cadet
Now that I have a bit more time and have watched more of the vids, a more thorough response:

1) Youre very aggressive in trying to muscle your way into your opponent's usual attack windows. That is, after a whiffed attack at point blank range, I usually spot dodge or execute some other defensive manuever since I know a would-be punish is coming - but you often toss out Nayrus or Dsmash instead. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesnt; I was wondering if you could give a little insight into which attacks and/or characters that tactic is effective against, and how you decide whether to try to interrupt or just dodge.

2) Is the purpose of spamming Nair after kills to reset the staleness of your other moves? If so, does that mean you worked out that nair is the best move to 'sacrifice', so to speak?

3) I was just wondering, what control setup do you use?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Now that I have a bit more time and have watched more of the vids, a more thorough response:

1) Youre very aggressive in trying to muscle your way into your opponent's usual attack windows. That is, after a whiffed attack at point blank range, I usually spot dodge or execute some other defensive manuever since I know a would-be punish is coming - but you often toss out Nayrus or Dsmash instead. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesnt; I was wondering if you could give a little insight into which attacks and/or characters that tactic is effective against, and how you decide whether to try to interrupt or just dodge.

2) Is the purpose of spamming Nair after kills to reset the staleness of your other moves? If so, does that mean you worked out that nair is the best move to 'sacrifice', so to speak?

3) I was just wondering, what control setup do you use?
1) I'll press the issue if I'm losing or if I just sense an opening to apply pressure. I'll play a bit more conservative if I'm up and want to tack on damage. This is of course against players that are as good as or better than I. But I try to play relaxed and calm throughout all of my lives no matter how much I'm winning or losing by. Me deciding to attack or dodge is generally me just reacting and trying to stay 1-2 steps ahead of my opponent. But I must be relaxed and focused to be able to react properly and make good decisions.

2) That's just my signature taunt. I'd do the Up Air but you can't auto cancel that from a short hop. I don't worry about move diminish. I just keep playing. I do take into account when moves are fresh and can kill or when I need to mix it up. But if the move is weakened I don't hesitate to use it.

3) I just turn off rumble if I remember. I use a White or Orange Game Cube controller. Tap Jump is on and no button changes are made.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I tend to use dtilt a lot more than most Zelda players I've seen, and it works rather well for me. Maybe I don't see enough Zelda videos. :/

From the looks of things, I might want to try more lightning kicks, and maybe start using dair in general. I haven't come across much that gives me a serious problem, though.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Oh you play just like me? Got vids?

There are more exceptions to your tip than just Meta Knight, but I'll look into it.

Dins fire is one big mind game. I judge every situation as best as I am able and lengthen or shorten it accordingly.
Yes, I do... I'm hoping to get them up very very soon. Like as in, as soon as I figure out how to take my video camera and hook it up to my computer.

Mindgames eh? Sounds like brawl at it's finest.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Moves aren't diminished unless you HIT something, you can't just wiff a move in the air.
Otherwise neutral A would be the obvious choice.

For diminished returns to be affected, you either need to hit a person, or a destroyable part of the stage (e.g. luigi's mansion) or some type of item such as wario's bike.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Dark Musician, your Zelda is pretty good, as im sure people have already told you, just got a question:

Out of shield you do a pretty fast up smash, that catches your opponent almost every time, but i cant realize if you are: 1)simply dropping the shield and doing an upsmash after it. OR 2) jump canceling up smash out of shield.

Thanks in advance

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Dark Musician, your Zelda is pretty good, as im sure people have already told you, just got a question:

Out of shield you do a pretty fast up smash, that catches your opponent almost every time, but i cant realize if you are: 1)simply dropping the shield and doing an upsmash after it. OR 2) jump canceling up smash out of shield.

Thanks in advance
I just power shield (it's pretty easy to do once you get used to Brawl) and to be quite honest, it's only one of many things that's "easier" to do in Brawl compared to melee. Just being honest.

Yep, that up smash is great. My friends call it "Cinnamon Toast Crunch" because it's sparkly swirls in every bite. The taste you can see or in this case...feel.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Allright so youre simply powershielding it into a shield drop up smash?

Thanks for the info man, good luch with your Zelda. Oh and plz tape some more offline videos :). Always a pleasure to see them.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
DM does it bother you that people try to copy your zelda?
I guess in the end her ideal meta game will be public knowledge anyway.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
DM does it bother you that people try to copy your zelda?
I guess in the end her ideal meta game will be public knowledge anyway.
Often imitated, but never duplicated. :]

I don't mind people trying to copy me. I glad people want to do so. Hard to do though.
And ya once the general meta game is out then it's the little things that will separate the good from the great.

One new match coming up. >_>

Watch this match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jj4DwXho0U

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Often imitated, but never duplicated. :]

I don't mind people trying to copy me. I glad people want to do so. Hard to do though.
And ya once the general meta game is out then it's the little things that will separate the good from the great.

One new match coming up. >_>

Watch this match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jj4DwXho0U
You just need a little more experience against the ice climbers.
Take a look at 1:25

Nana is a sitting duck at 80% and you dash right past her!
Then you got killed a few seconds later, because they're stronger together.

I think it would have changed the whole match if you killed nana there instead.
And then with the same life they started chain grabbing your next stock.. once again because they were together and both alive.

I think in the end the biggest difference to separate out the good zelda's from the great ones will be how well you can land the jump kicks.. They are her two most powerful KO moves, and it seems like you've got their accuracy down very well

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
wow..Ouch Dm. So this is the "dreaded inescable IC CG" I've been hearing about lately o.o. I agree with SF though, you should've gotten rid of the sister earlier. Usually when I played my friends IC in melee my goal was always "kill the sister!!" first XD.

Great vid otherwise. I'll take it as a chance to be careful come the day I face an IC. D:

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I like the latest video, and i think its good that you got chaingrabbed.

The faster your locals start learning and applying things like IC chaingrabs, the faster you can learn how to deal with them without resorting to "omg ban those things because they beat me bweeee" (sry... im discussing that i nanother thread and i just got carried away). I am sure next time you will keep them separated and deal good with the Nana.

Props to you, and props to the IC player, its great that you get to play vs good people that know wut theyre doing.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hehehe ya. I actually happy that I got owned like that. He's pretty much the only person that uses ICs in Hawaii so I'm glad that he's making a large effort to use them in tournament play.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
How do you avoid grabs?

No, seriously?

In melee you could usually do it by just being in the air 24/7. Brawl is a whole different deal though. What do you do?

TWK?

Smash Cadet
hmm... very nice... lol Ice climber's are crazy. I've got like two vids up of me screwin around with 'em, but that guy is pretty sick. I wish I had good IC's to practice against :( you get all the fun stuff... *cry* lol.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
You avoid grabs by spot dodging (to answer somebody's earlier question)
shield + control stick down

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Alrighty new vids from our last tournament. Had a nice healthy turnout of 50 people. There were pools first and a Double Elim Bracket afterwards. I hope it only gets bigger.

Updating the first page now so take a look.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
Really nice update :D Good job also! Do you record the vid's yourself at these tournaments or does someone else do it? O-o

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I record it myself. b^_^d It's the same iMovieHD that I use for everything else.

I also coordinate with the venue Da-Planet for the dates and times. They provide TVs for us and they said we can have even more next time.

I was also running around doing sign ups, getting the pools done and managing the brackets.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
My god your busy haha! I believe the only local tourny here doesn't record matches and I'm not sure I'd want to bring my own laptop for that kind of thing, ugh. I envy how many people you get to play XD

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yeah I'm really working hard for Hawaii. But it's always worth it.

It's only thanks to our own Boards (smashbroshawaii) that we were able to unite the island of Oahu. It's really amazing. I was like are people really gonna come? 50 people later and it's like aww yeah!

goodkid

Smash Lord
Nice to hear that Hawaii is doing well.

MellowD's toon link is the best of I've seen, he has great control over his speed and projectile game.
Firefly is great with Falco, and the match you had with him on Smashville was very intense.

Top Bottom