• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a lousy smash player!

Mizar

Smash Ace
I have a hard time dealing with pressure. For some reason, when someone plays a ridiculously fast falcon, fox or falco, I usually lost before the game started. Mentally. It just puts me off my game and I will make silly spacing mistakes etc. because of it. Still need to learn how do deal with it. Oh well, I guess thats why its called pressure :p

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
I have a hard time dealing with pressure. For some reason, when someone plays a ridiculously fast falcon, fox or falco, I usually lost before the game started. Mentally. It just puts me off my game and I will make silly spacing mistakes etc. because of it. Still need to learn how do deal with it. Oh well, I guess thats why its called pressure :p
well theres a solution to this..we all should refresh our Brain Muscles with Wobbles "4 times the Fun" Article

Scooach

Smash Cadet
I main Falco and can do some shine trixies like shinebair and shinenair but I can't waveshine... It makes me angry when I shine and full hop vs a mfing falcon who precedes to double knee a stock from me. I just can't get the rhythm down...

And the fact that I plain suck at wavedashing in the first place with Falco... Stupid jump delay johns.

N64

Smash Champion
Oh, I guess I also get into mental habits where I assume someone is either always going to try to approach me or always try to intercept me when I approach. People i play against often just wait for my approach, space, punish, and repeat. It makes me feel dumb : ///

tubes

Smash Ace
This one time... NesNoob 4 stocked with jiggs. All he did was wait for me to approach and uptilt uptilt rest. I even attempted to bait and punish the uptilt via dash dancing on the last stock but I was too slow and got hit with the second uptilt after baiting the first.

Zodiac

Smash Master
there no specific style that really gives me a problem anymore but....For some reason when I do a link vs ganon match I freeze and dont know to do, then afterwards Im like...Hyrule is doomed

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
I can't get past the wall of Falco lasers...

...and I'm in Vancouver, Canada. *cries*

VA

Smash Hero
Shinebairs

How Do People Do This

It Seems Like It Needs To Be Soooo Fast

I Need A God **** Tutorial, How Do I Shinebair

I Haven't Done It Once ;_;
Use analogue stick to jump and it'll be easier for you...or that's what helped me. Also if you're doing shine > bair with fox and you want both to connect, you'll have more margin for frame error if you're hitting with the top of the shine, like the point at the top.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My biggest problem has always been losing to people that I have a legitimate chance to beat.

It sounds kind of obvious, but I've always looked at it like this: there are three phases to being good at Smash (or any competition):

1) Beating the people you should (Ex- If you play random noob #3, you should win that match)
2) Beating people you can (Ex- Someone around your same skill level)
3) Beating people you can't (Ex- The players that are better than you, or at least eveyone else thinks they're better than you)

I've been stuck on phase 2 pretty much my whole career. I've 4-stocked people in the first round of a tournament, only to lose to someone who used to be really good at Melee but hadn't played in months in the second round. I just choke. Or I make incredibly stupid decisions that cost me sets.

I'll never forget a tournament where I played a Luigi. He beat me the first round. The second round we went to FoD, and I three stocked him. The final round he went random for stage, and we ended up back on FoD. And he beat me by one stock. It's things like that which have kept me from really achieving my potential. I'm just a choker.

An example of a bad decision was the last time I played KevinM (<3 KevinM!) He picked Sheik, and for some inexplicable reason I picked Peach. I'M AN IC MAIN! WHAT WAS I THINKING?! So he beat me the first round, I came to my frakking senses and picked ICs the second round and counterpicked with FD, and in the last round he picked Marth and Yoshi's Story, and I lost by one stock. If I'd won that first round then I would have had the last counterpick. Just poor decision making, and I paid for it.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Also, I need to know when it's "Go time". I tend to never really try my hardest unless it's a MM/Tourney match, and sometimes not even then, and people who I could annihilate get the idea that they're better than me because I'm not telling myself to win.

tubes

Smash Ace
Also, I need to know when it's "Go time". I tend to never really try my hardest unless it's a MM/Tourney match, and sometimes not even then, and people who I could annihilate get the idea that they're better than me because I'm not telling myself to win.
What's so bad about that? Now you can MM them and reap huge profit.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
lol Mafia. just let go. that's what I've done. since I started not taking the game too seriously I've improved immensly. hence MM's for serious matches are something you'll rarely get out of me because if everything that you are is wrapped around whether or not you beat someone in a video game then you must check your priorities. JUST PLAY TO HAVE FUN! That's what the game was made for after all.

I can play to have fun and play to win too. this is one of my strengths. i was a little upset about getting bracket ****ed at the last tourny i went to, but I was having too good a time for it to last.

As for weaknesses, I tend to make dumb mistakes, and I rely a lot on prediction, which isn't that bad until you get someone like Darc or MattDotZeb or Mogwai or Banks who turn this back on you.

I have trouble JC grabbing in matches. just something I need to practice.

I sometimes tend to tech to the right a lot. depends on how much thought is going into the match though.

I can wall tech but I screw it up a lot.

Other than that I just need experience and I'll be good. (A quote from MattDotZeb that made my night at MM 17 lol)

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Speaking about that...

You should get those matches up lol. I remember me doing a ******** combo or something.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
you constantly remind me why i dislike you.

I try to do too many fancy things in tourney maches.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Speaking about that...

You should get those matches up lol. I remember me doing a ******** combo or something.
I don't recall. I was reeling from getting ***** both matches. I tried to upload my matches vs Noble (Was debating whether or not to put yours up, but since you're asking I think I will.) but the computer said it would take an hour for ONE of them, and there's a time limit at the library T_T

Mark my words well, i will have my revenge.

Actually, I'd like to play your Puff sometime. Believe it or not, I'm not afraid of Puff. :p

S l o X

Smash Champion
AND AND AND I've played Melee for over a year and have yet to attend a single tourney. :( No region johns either, RoM2's venue was 40mins from my house. I'll never be good at this game. T_T
I've been playing for 8 months and I haven't been to one either ):

Adding to that I can washshine, wave dash etc... but I suicide a lot, attempting to do **** combos on level 1s.

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
I've been playing for 8 months and I haven't been to one either ):
I've been playing for seven years and haven't been to one. <8D

Even though I've been playing for a while, I still can't wavedash, I always press R too quickly (This also applies to the Name Entry glitch, but strangely not for Teching and L Canceling). I also can't catch items in midair worth crap, but that's mainly because I haven't practiced that much. And I still can't seem to get the Hammer Thrower bonus (which is depressing since I only have three bonuses left to get; Celebi Catcher, Hammer Thrower, and Bomb-Omb Squad). Oh well.

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I have more fun randomly shffling, multishining and edge canceling (Especially Falcon's dair) than actually playing against my opponent, guess I get carried away.

LoudJohn

Smash Rookie
My problem is ******* shield lag, cant shield grab or jump out of shield fast..... when I do there lag is over to...... I fight a lot of good spacies so not shield grabbing hasnt hurt me much ^_^

Tamoo

Smash Master
My problem is ******* shield lag, cant shield grab or jump out of shield fast..... when I do there lag is over to......
What an unfortunate name and post combination.

Im still having a problem spamming arials, especially bair, it works to some extent but I can be a lot more efficient than I currently am.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm only good at DIing and tech skill. Everything else I suck at.

My matches take forever to end because I'm good at recovering and DIing and I can't kill my opponent, so basically I'm taking forever to lose.

Top Bottom