• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a lousy smash player!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
in every single game i've ever lost, i was sandbagging majorly. & in most i've won
even against mango

true story

Pi

Smash Hero
in every single game i've ever lost, i was sandbagging majorly. & in most i've won
even against mango

true story
yea i hear that
you can tell i'm sandbagging when you see me make mistakes
it's not that i'm juss attributing my lack of character control to this problem either
i'm really juss not focused/don't care about winning that particular match
it's only when you see me play good that i'm not sandbagging
here let me select some matches of me that fit my personal criteria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHp_D0wNGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUu9SkBQcXw

when i'm bothered enough to care i easily destroy high level players
but most the time i juss don't care
it's a real problem that actually exists and is worth mentioning so people aren't mislead into thinking i'm a bad player
srsly

its true that a clear mind responds better than one clouded with trying to do the same move over again until i get it. if someone can see what that move is than im screwed. also, i choke against people i dont know so if im at a tourney chances are im gonna get my *** whooped

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
why wouldn't you

edit: and for me, my biggest weakness is probably DI-ing long combos because i'm too scared of flubbing the DI on the end hit
This is one of my problems too. When I'm facing Marth especially, it really shows.

Everything. :laugh:

But seriously, one (out of many things) thing I'm really lousy at is not getting gimped, especially against those darn Marth and Jiggs players.
If you play Luigi, which I'm pretty sure you do, then this is completely out of your hands. lol

People out predicting me or outspacing me is a hard strat to get around.
I think this has more to do with your opponent just being flat out better. Happens to me too sometimes.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I play down to my friends, to keep them from walking away is disgust. However, it means that I mess up things in real matches, because I'm not used to being so serious.

Stratford

Smash Champion
When I'm hanging on the edge and someone's standing on the stage I always want to ledgehop and do some aerial even though I know they're waiting to wd back and **** me.

unknown522

Some guy
Sauc3 got 2-0'd by me in WSFs. Game 1 was close. I got u-throw -> rested 3 times. With a JV2 stock, I took 180% damage. Peak damage was 70-something. So on average, I died at 60% damage a stock after the rest. *john*

I played another jiggs first round. Got u-throw -> rested twice on brinstar..
problem #6.

D

Deleted member

I can legitimately beat tier one players and turn around and lose to tier three players. I'd feel much more comfortable playing say m2k's fox than I would against chinesahh's fox. I have nothing but respect for chinesahh but it's still not m2k.

I also feel more comfortable playing Zelda and Roy over everyone else.

edit: also no drive to practice since like 2004.

john!

Smash Hero
I'm inconsistent and don't always play to my potential... some days I have beast tech and others I can't do anything. If there's one thing I need to do it's solidify my tech skill and focus harder on the opponent. When I focus on the match itself (like when watching YouTube videos) I read the players well, but then I play humans IRL and fail... :laugh:

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
switching between CODMW2 and Melee

gahhh i have to stick to melee only =/ but codmw2 is sooo tempting to play.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I have no mind games....... I can't predict, and know what I should do in the matchup, but when the match starts I just randomly do stuff.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I get hugely intimidated when confronted by a really technical player, especially a spacies user. They just pressure me so well, and I'm forced to play defensive for the whole match.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I have no mind games....... I can't predict, and know what I should do in the matchup, but when the match starts I just randomly do stuff.
Hahaha thats just golden.

I get ***** by people who camp doing long dash dances (fox/falco) when I approach I always try to hit where they're going, and not where they're standing. But I kinda fail at this so I usually get dash danced grabbed uair uair uair UAIRUAIEUIHNÓSEFUNBAS;DJGB;SDJGBS;DAJGB'd by fox.

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
I'm a n00b. Really. I just started playing 3 days ago and only things I can do are tech almost perfectly and walljump...and air dodge...I can't wavedash fast enough! I can do it, but not the pro fast way. I can waveland sometimes. AKA, advanced techniques take a while to learn. >:C

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I always try to ledgedrop shine for no reason when I should just ledgehog and then roll when my opponent recovers. My fox likes to ledgehop a dair with invincibilty to edgeguard...which works if you hog the edge afterward but I do it an then start showing off my inbetween stock routine as if I were playing as falco.

john!

Smash Hero
i can only play at my best facing left (in game)
Oh yeah that reminds me, I have trouble waveshining when I'm facing right and wavedashing left. Maybe it's because I hold my thumb slightly clockwise of the control stick so I turn around in my shine sometimes before I jump...? Man such a weird problem. lol

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Not weird at all, it's the same concept of being right or left handed. You just learn a method more effectively with one side than the other, so you have to practice lots so both sides are consistent.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I get frustrated way too easily, especially when playing as Puff. If a Fox just spams Usmash or a Marth just spams Fsmash he can ususally take me down to one stock. Oh and a Fox/Falco/Falcon just technically dominating me in terms of speed really messes me up, I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage.

And and and, Falco laser spam ***** me no matter whoI play as.

AND AND AND I've played Melee for over a year and have yet to attend a single tourney. :( No region johns either, RoM2's venue was 40mins from my house. I'll never be good at this game. T_T

AdamLeliel

Smash Rookie
If I think of a move that I could of used in a certain situation, I nearly always try and use it, even if the situation isn't available anymore. For example, if I miss the perfect opportunity to f-smash, i'll be trying to do it again as soon as possible, ending up in many mistakes for me x_X
I do exactly this.

I would say one of my worst problems is my recoveries, especially with characters like Marth.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Thanks for makings this thread btw JFox.i feel the pain.with me playing falcon i tend to not change the meta game during matches and i would be aggressive at all times(thats one)if i play for way too long (like a day)at the end i get tired and brain dead and forget what to do in certain match ups (spacies)and last is one is i have a decent tech chase going and dont sell the combo at the end....SAD FACE***

last one kill my self trying to be kool

Top Bottom