• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Black Ops

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Lol, somebody had a bad day?

I love this game, I haven't found anything that outright makes me not want to play the game. I can always enjoy myself in FFA, S&D(More often than not, anyways) or Ground War, which is probably why those are the three playlists I do consistently well in. The obscene amount of Ghost users in standard TDM or Domination is pretty soul draining, but I can avoid that pretty easily by not playing it. There's still a lot of BS in CoD4 (Frag x3, M16, horrible spawns(on the receiving end lol), etc.) If I was to go back to any game, it'd probably be WaW. The MP40 was an annoyance, but it took a really good player for it to actually be a problem. I love WaW to death, and I still think it's the best in the series, but who knows, I might change my mind as this game develops.
Ghost is the only really annoying thing to me in this game so far, but it's not ridiculous or anything. I threw on flak jacket and my RC car problem isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, leaving ghost the only problematic thing left. Even so, ghost really isn't all that frustrating. Overall, when I play this game it plays very smoothly and you can tell the good players from the bad players, which wasn't very easy to do in previous CoD games.

IMO, CoD4 had way more annoying things than Black Ops does. 3x frag, juggernaut, M16, MP5, bad spawns. It was no doubt a fun game, but it got quite annoying at times. Every time I got killed by a grenade it was a guy looking straight up throwing three of them. Most frustrating thing in the world.

Edit: Leafy has the right idea. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I have to say, Ghost in no way affects me. I don't use it, I use hardline for the pro. (plus, I don't mind getting spy planes and such faster).
I felt that UAV would've been overcentralizing if they hadn't included ghost, so I'm happy.
Also, I am considering using Warlord over Sleight of Hand just because Ak74u with grip/rapid fire is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
I hate jumping on bandwagons, but it is the best SMG. The kick of MP5k is too much, and all of the others don't kill fast enough for me to win fire fights.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lol, somebody had a bad day?

I love this game, I haven't found anything that outright makes me not want to play the game. I can always enjoy myself in FFA, S&D(More often than not, anyways) or Ground War, which is probably why those are the three playlists I do consistently well in. The obscene amount of Ghost users in standard TDM or Domination is pretty soul draining, but I can avoid that pretty easily by not playing it. There's still a lot of BS in CoD4 (Frag x3, M16, horrible spawns(on the receiving end lol), etc.) If I was to go back to any game, it'd probably be WaW. The MP40 was an annoyance, but it took a really good player for it to actually be a problem. I love WaW to death, and I still think it's the best in the series, but who knows, I might change my mind as this game develops.
It's not so much that I had a bad day, it's just that the game is pretty bad in comparison to others.

I noticed that once a game is left, it's even better. CoD4 was amazing early on, right when WaW came out, even better during MW2's lifespan and very fun now. Frag x 3 is nonexistent in Hardcore Headquarters, the M16 is all but common nowadays and the spawns are just fine in that specific gametype. WaW was never fun to me, every gun was bad and there was no redeeming quality aside from zombies.

The reasons why I have no problem with quitting this game;

Ghost - Most frustrating, annoying thing in any Call of Duty game I have ever played. Never did like the people that use it, too.

Ghost - Dumb perk.

Lack of decent maps in the rotation - It seems like you get things like WMD, Jungle or Array all too often and virtually nothing good like Nuketown or Firing Range.

Ghost - It's really annoying.

Overused weapons - Guns like the 74u don't bother me, it's just that I see them too much.

aannnd Ghost.

Someone finally sees the light. This game CANNOT keep my attention.
Sad face.
Huzzah! But you never liked CoD4 so it doesn't matter. P:

I agree. Yea there's a decent amount of Ghost users but I either don't notice or eventually deal with it. I also like Ground War because unlike MW2, it's not a game where 2-3 people on the other team dominate and then you're getting spawn trapped either by general spawn camping or a Chopper Gunner. :/
What are you talking about? That's exactly what Ground War is.

Don't forget the OMA Danger Close Noobtubes. That's another reason I prefer WaW to CoD4, Ground War was SEX on WaW, but Frag x3 and Overkill Noobtubes ruined it on CoD4. But whatever, if people don't like the game, don't play the game, s'all good.
I NEVER see Danget Close tubers and I don't know why that's such a prevalent complaint.

IMO, CoD4 had way more annoying things than Black Ops does. 3x frag, juggernaut, M16, MP5, bad spawns. It was no doubt a fun game, but it got quite annoying at times. Every time I got killed by a grenade it was a guy looking straight up throwing three of them. Most frustrating thing in the world.

Edit: Leafy has the right idea. If you don't like it, don't play it.
Let me rephrase what you just posted.

CoD4 has overcentralizing perks, overpowered guns and bad spawns.

You mean like Black Ops? The game with overcentralizing perks and overpowered guns?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I said that the day before it came out, mad, and I agree.
I don't think ghost is too overcentralizing.
Its decentralizing, in fact. Hardline spyplane abusers would make up the game if ghost users weren't around.
I don't see why you get so worked up over not being able to see red dots. I've already ranted about it and it is silly to be "mad" at this game just because an overpowered aspect has a counter.
I wish we had a bigger BO community because I really can't do justice on how silly it is to complain about ghost.
EDIT: how old are you guys?
I'm willing to say 16 because complaining about ghost is just childish.
Stopping power gave an advantage to the player... They'd win fire fights, so everybody has to run it in order to win firefights. Ghost... stops people from dominating with spy plane, so basically it just limits you from violating the other player. You don't have to run it so it isn't overcentralizing.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
It's not so much that I had a bad day, it's just that the game is pretty bad in comparison to others.

I noticed that once a game is left, it's even better. CoD4 was amazing early on, right when WaW came out, even better during MW2's lifespan and very fun now. Frag x 3 is nonexistent in Hardcore Headquarters, the M16 is all but common nowadays and the spawns are just fine in that specific gametype. WaW was never fun to me, every gun was bad and there was no redeeming quality aside from zombies.

The reasons why I have no problem with quitting this game;

Ghost - Most frustrating, annoying thing in any Call of Duty game I have ever played. Never did like the people that use it, too.

Ghost - Dumb perk.

Lack of decent maps in the rotation - It seems like you get things like WMD, Jungle or Array all too often and virtually nothing good like Nuketown or Firing Range.

Ghost - It's really annoying.

Overused weapons - Guns like the 74u don't bother me, it's just that I see them too much.

aannnd Ghost.
Ghost- I agree, too much of it makes the game bad. I usually just camp if the entire enemy team uses Ghost, makes my life a whole lot easier.

Overused Weapons- Bad players use easy(noob-friendly) guns. I've already said that the lack of weapon diversity that comes from overcentralizing weapons is a problem.

Maps- Meh. Not too fond of Firing Range, Havana or Array, but I can play them.

WaW took more skill with the stick to play, even the MP40 had some recoil, but the MP40 wasn't that hard to deal with. CoD4 is easy compared to WaW, which is probably why my stats in WaW were so inflated compared to other games. It was easy if you knew what you were doing, no offense.

What are you talking about? That's exactly what Ground War is.
I know this isn't directed to me, but that's what I love about Ground War lolol

I NEVER see Danget Close tubers and I don't know why that's such a prevalent complaint.
In MW2? You must be ****in' kidding me. Even when I went back to CoD4 at the end of MW2, there was a ****ton of tubers. I even saw a whole team of people using Frag x3 and Sonic Boom. ****ing ludicrous.

You mean like Black Ops? The game with overcentralizing perks and overpowered guns?
Again, this isn't directed to me, but whatever, because WaW > Every CoD game to date.

Wretched, I'm 17, but age has nothing to do with this.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Leafy, age reflects how people view the game. My 13 year old friend is disappointed in no danger close and the debuffed tube. My 19 year old COD fanatic is ecstatic about it. (rhyme)
My 13 year old friend hates ghost because he can't abuse corners and hardaim and tube.
The 19 year old, on the other hand, LOVES IT because it isn't amazing, but being able to avoid silly, aforementioned things is much better than just killing faster.
I see this contrast in almost all of my friends.
Also, Nuketown isn't amazing. everybody just likes small, abusable maps.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Leafy, age reflects how people view the game.
That's a generalization based on age, which is bad no matter how you look at it. I tend to not keep too many people on my friends list, and most of the people on it are generally older than I am, or about my age(I'm actually pretty sure that Cyan_ is the on the person on my friends list who's younger than I am. Stephen <3), so I can't really get the opinions of those younger than I am. Also, I tend to surround myself with stronger players, I don't anyone on my friends list has even tried the Grenade Launcher, bad players use it.

I hate Ghost because it makes the game more slow paced, and that every random and their mother relies on it to do well, which is pathetic, really. I'm not gonna rush when I have no idea where the enemy team is because all 6 of them are using Ghost and hiding in a corner, that's a horrible idea.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion

Whenever I die by ghost it's my fault for not paying attention to the fact that they have ghost equipped. Not much to say, not much to complain about.

And I don't really see where you're coming from in terms of overpowered guns. The only gun that is even kind of OP is the G11, and it's still not even that good. And I'm tired of the whole 74u debate, because it's not OP. Everyone else uses it, thus, people say it's the best and completely disregard the existence of the other guns. When talking about ARs and LMGs and such, I don't have a go to gun because they're all essentially the same thing. The spectre and MP5k are just as good to me as the 74u anyways.

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
Besides game mechanics, I feel the overall layout of the maps in this game hold Black Ops from being great. The maps in this game have too much structures condensed into the map, seemingly scattered randomly (Launch is made symmetrically, but the buildings are too close to each other).

The maps in COD 4 were great because most of the maps had large spacious areas with a couple of side areas that could be used to flank or combat in close quarters (How big these side areas could be varied, but the spacious areas were usually always present). There were also spacious areas in MW2 which had the same general layout, which made the maps in those games very good.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I rush when I have no idea where the enemy team is - but they don't know where I am either.

Check your corners more often, should be the first place you look when you enter a room. Use C4 into rooms and threw windows. If you are suspicious of people in there.

Be aware of red dots.
Be aware of where teammates die.
Be aware of any known enemies location - and that of the enemy you just killed/were killed by.
Know where enemies are more likely to be. <-- comes with experience

Check your corners. =P

I agree with need more open (and more sniper...) maps for B/Ops. Too many of them are cluttered or just too small....

Array is like... the only sniper-friendly map I can think of... and it's not even that sniper friendly.

@mad

=| Nuketown and Firing Range suck.... should I upload vids of me spawncamping on Firing Range? I have 2 spots where I literally get to see my opponents pop into existence.... I've yet to find such a spot that's safe to camp at on any other map.... (I also had a spot like this for Bailout in MW2)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I know on firing range on the far end where there's an open space with a car you can just watch them spawn at the right spot.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Besides game mechanics, I feel the overall layout of the maps in this game hold Black Ops from being great. The maps in this game have too much structures condensed into the map, seemingly scattered randomly (Launch is made symmetrically, but the buildings are too close to each other).

The maps in COD 4 were great because most of the maps had large spacious areas with a couple of side areas that could be used to flank or combat in close quarters (How big these side areas could be varied, but the spacious areas were usually always present). There were also spacious areas in MW2 which had the same general layout, which made the maps in those games very good.
Those games also had some truly awful maps.

CoD4 had Bog.
MW2 had Rust, Rundown, Karachi, Bailout, Derail.

The only maps in Black Ops that I think right now are awful are Array and Crisis. Crisis is just way too big, same with Array. I feel like if the beach area on Crisis were MUCH more condensed, and if Array didn't stretch out so wide, they wouldn't suck so bad.

@mad

=| Nuketown and Firing Range suck.... should I upload vids of me spawncamping on Firing Range? I have 2 spots where I literally get to see my opponents pop into existence.... I've yet to find such a spot that's safe to camp at on any other map.... (I also had a spot like this for Bailout in MW2)
On Summit, if you get the other team to spawn at that building that seems to be the control room for the ski lift (the spawn that isn't near the garage with the tractor-like thing in it), you can stand behind the tractor up near the cliffside and you're VERY safe, while all the enemies will keep spawning behind or in the building, making for some fun spawn shenanigans. I went on like, a 15 killstreak there one time (Odin was part of the carnage <3) before dying due to running out of ammo.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
When low on ammo.
No excuses.

I've been out of ammo with STRELA as my secondary and all I had was C4.
I got shot, went around a corner, threw a C4, got a kill, took his gun, and got my killstreak with it.

Out of ammo is no excuse! >:o

In other news:
Being out of ammo totally blows =\ but scavenger isn't worth it and I almost always am able to pick up an enemies gun. But occasionally I do run out and it blows. T_T

I liked Bog on CoD4 =\ spawns weren't so great but the map is really fun....

I loved Derail and Rundown. Karachi was stupid, Bailout was LOL'able. (Going 70+ and 5~ every time in HXC HQ? Hahahahahaahaha..... <3 that level... so stupid) - and Rust is just.... =|.... my cousin and I usually backed out when we got that map.... and went to a different game mode. (Because MW2 likes to put you in the exact game you just backed out of...)

I've yet to run into that issue on Summit. I know you can spawncamp there a bit, but you can't pop a bullet into someones *** before they even gain control of their character. =P

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
When low on ammo.
No excuses.

I got shot, went around a corner, threw a C4, got a kill, took his gun, and got my killstreak with it.

In other news:
Being out of ammo totally blows =\ but scavenger isn't worth it and I almost always am able to pick up an enemies gun. But occasionally I do run out and it blows. T_T

I loved Derail and Rundown. Karachi was stupid, Bailout was LOL'able. (Going 70+ and 5~ every time in HXC HQ? Hahahahahaahaha..... <3 that level... so stupid) - and Rust is just.... =|.... my cousin and I usually backed out when we got that map.... and went to a different game mode. (Because MW2 likes to put you in the exact game you just backed out of...)

I've yet to run into that issue on Summit. I know you can spawncamp there a bit, but you can't pop a bullet into someones *** before they even gain control of their character. =P
But I had a Strela and no explosives, and the nearest gun was so far away! ;_;

I usually do pick up an enemy's gun if I need to, but sometimes I just really can't. =[

Bog's spawns killed it for me. Great map otherwise, imo.

Derail sucked. I just reaaaaaaaaally hated the map dynamic. It was really slow or REALLY centralized to the top floor of the center building. I always feel REALLY optionless on Rundown. It's like I have nowhere to go. Karachi's vertical structure was really dumb. Bailout was lol. Rust had serious air support and spawn issues.

Skidrow and Favela will forever be my favorites. <3

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I agree with :mad: when it comes to Firing Range. I ****ing love it. Nuketown is hit and miss and Crisis and Array are ****ing awful.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Although I love CoD, I'm getting kind of burned out on the series. I haven't been playing much lately, and even when I'm bored I don't really wanna play. More important/interesting things to do.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
That's weird :mad: I play Nuketown and Firing Range more than any other map mostly.

Those and Radiation.

But yeah, the million people using the 74u is annoying.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I will be. I'm occasionally joined by good sir Prime Badger, Ike, and Happy Vertigo. Thunder joins my crusade as well whenever he's online.
I'll still be playing sir O D I N :D

*wants xbox back to play black ops*
You two (three including the Badger) are the ones I usually play with, so sounds good. It won't be a waste of a gift then. :)

REL38

Smash Lord
I was expecting more

The maps are so darn ugly and hard to see enemies

The guns sound mad awkward

Weird spawns

Snipers are garbage and shotguns are meh

It's been, overall, rather disappointing

Wagger Matches (especially gun game) and Zombies are the only things keeping my interest

If things don't turn out well with Black Ops, I still got MW2

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Although I love CoD, I'm getting kind of burned out on the series. I haven't been playing much lately, and even when I'm bored I don't really wanna play. More important/interesting things to do.
You're probably getting burned out because they make a CoD game every year. I honestly wish they'd make a new one every 2 or 3 years.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Jesus Christ seriously. I barely ever play CoD anymore, if not only playing it to play Nazi Zombies a bit and leave. I think I might be burned out as well, which is why I think I'll be taking a break from CoD and see where I go from there

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Icy is willing to play with me if I'm online, even if it's not all the time. I'd switch over to MW2 with him occasionally, but my disc is busted and doesn't function anymore, so I can't.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
When low on ammo.
No excuses.

In other news:

Scavenger is wonderful, especially since I don't have to give up Bling(Warlord) for it anymore.

Skidrow and Favela were pretty much the ONLY good maps in MW2, including all DLC, and even those had ****ty moments.

CoD4 had it's fair share of horrible maps. Bloc, Wet Work, all of the DLC maps, Pipeline, Ambush(Combined with Zeus Grenades, horrible spawns, and noobtubes) etc. Bog was a gigantic spawntrap.

WaW had the best maps ever(sans Seelow), which is part of why I loved it. That being said, I never had any of the DLC, so I don't have a full opinion.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's why you only buy the ones that are made every 2 years (CoD 4, MW2, etc.). WaW was fun for about 2 weeks before I stopped playing it on a regular basis. Huge waste of my cash. And I'm sure the same thing would have happened with Black Ops.

Just from a campaign standpoint I'm very interested in how MW3 will turn out.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
You're probably getting burned out because they make a CoD game every year. I honestly wish they'd make a new one every 2 or 3 years.
Not going to happen. Activision has already announced that a new CoD game will be released in the 2nd half of next year. (Rumoured to be the new CoD game by Sledgehammer Games or MW3 by the ghost of Infinity Ward.)

People eat these games up anyways, it would be unwise for Activision to stop yearly instalments and the milking of their game franchises.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Scavenger is wonderful, especially since I don't have to give up Bling(Warlord) for it anymore.

Skidrow and Favela were pretty much the ONLY good maps in MW2, including all DLC, and even those had ****ty moments.

CoD4 had it's fair share of horrible maps. Bloc, Wet Work, all of the DLC maps, Pipeline, Ambush(Combined with Zeus Grenades, horrible spawns, and noobtubes) etc. Bog was a gigantic spawntrap.

WaW had the best maps ever(sans Seelow), which is part of why I loved it. That being said, I never had any of the DLC, so I don't have a full opinion.
Bloc and Wetwork were fun! Especially Bloc. SO many free headshots on all the Snipers there. Flanking shenanigans galore. Wetwork could get pretty ****ty though. I still love it.

WaW did have amazing maps. Seelow and Roundhouse were pretty eh, though. So was that one really large town with the Church clock tower thing.

Hey, they're all Tank maps!

Terminal? :)

Btw, Crisis sucks. Worst map in BO imo.
Terminal suffered from a problem that Rundown has: Too few ways to get across the chokepoints. It was pretty much impossible to get from the runway side spawn to inside the terminal if the enemy team was just watching the choke points (the side building, the plane, the escalators).

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Imo WMD for worst map. It's absolutely uncreative imo

I also hate Radiation mostly because the map design seems absolutely ****ty imo

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Terminal was fun for spawntraps.

Crisis isn't the best map. It's well designed, no doubt. It's just WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too big.

I hate the fact that the map WMD has absloutely NO WMDs whatsoever. IT would have been sick if they had like a stockpile of nukes in the middle buildings, but meh, the map plays just fine.

Back in WaW days, I pretty much played S&D or GW exclusively. Tanks don't exist in S&D, and tanks were a joke in GW, as a few people could instantly destroy a tank, if they knew what they were doing.

Top Bottom