• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Ghostbone

Smash Master
No because the second part of the input will override the first part if you don't input down on the control stick in between.
Why could you then not just go
Back > Down > c-stick forward + grab to buffer a pivot grab forwards?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Did anyone say you can't? C-stick isn't testable in frame advance mode so I can't tell you more than that
Well, if it was that easy, people would have mastered D3's infinite on Snake by now.....

That's annoying that you can't test the c-stick, though wouldn't a direction + a have the same effect?

Flayl

Smash Hero
What Yikarur didn't mention earlier and I had to test myself to understand was that crouching cancels the back dash into just a turnaround.

So if you input 2 frames of the control stick backwards you dash
If you input 2 frames backwards and 1 downwards you turn around and crouch

So basically there is no easier way to buffer a pivot grab than the way we already know

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What Yikarur didn't mention earlier and I had to test myself to understand was that crouching cancels the back dash into just a turnaround.

So if you input 2 frames of the control stick backwards you dash
If you input 2 frames backwards and 1 downwards you turn around and crouch

So basically there is no easier way to buffer a pivot grab than the way we already know
Oh ok, that explains things, thanks.

Anyway, back for two frames > c-stick up twice should do a BDACUS backwards yea?
I should start practising that....

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure where this question belongs so I defaulted here.... ._.

I've heard people say a lot that playing MK (and then becoming unaddicted and suffering appropriate withdrawal symptoms) can improve your game..... how so? Is it because playing MK lets you see the faults in your game a lot more easily?

I always thought playing Ganon would teach you how to approach better and playing Link would teach you how to recover better or something convoluted like that...... is that not necessarily true?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Sort of similar question..... if you main more than one character and you lose a game, how do you know whether or not to switch characters, barring stage choice and character MUs? Like..... how do you know when to remain confident in one character and how do you know to try another one?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Everyone was told that Squirtle grab-releases opponents on Frame 29, which means that he would get a +1 frame advantage without buffering involved. This is common knowledge from ages ago.

Can someone test that for me, though? I feel like this was only assumed because grab-release -> Jab1 is a true combo, but since we know that it is impossible for a grab-released opponent to buffer, it might be wrong, and it may just be similar to ZSS's Jab stuff, where an opponent's shield would come at Frame 32 at the fastest.

Also, can you buffer a running jump?

C.J.

Smash Master
AFAIK Reflex, someone did testing and it appears EVERY character that grab releases (sans Bowser ofc) has 29 frames of lag and the character being released can buffer anything like normal.

Someone confirm/refute?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
AFAIK Reflex, someone did testing and it appears EVERY character that grab releases (sans Bowser ofc) has 29 frames of lag and the character being released can buffer anything like normal.

Someone confirm/refute?
Sounds about right.

How do you buffer a dash after a platform cancel?
With Pikachu, I hold :stick3: and press :cstick8: to platform cancel. That will make you dash after the platform cancel if your uair can autocancel during the start-up frames.

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
@Jebus: What KPrime said, but bair works too, and it's easier to do than uair for characters that can autocancel their bairs IMO.... I think you have to hold forwards after pressing the C-stick too.

Also, any possible answers to my question below? Sorry for being impatient all the time.... ;( It's a very broad and vague question, so I understand if I'd have to make it more clear somehow....?

I'm not sure where this question belongs so I defaulted here.... ._.

I've heard people say a lot that playing MK (and then becoming unaddicted and suffering appropriate withdrawal symptoms) can improve your game..... how so? Is it because playing MK lets you see the faults in your game a lot more easily?

I always thought playing Ganon would teach you how to approach better and playing Link would teach you how to recover better or something convoluted like that...... is that not necessarily true?

EDIT: Sort of similar question..... if you main more than one character and you lose a game, how do you know whether or not to switch characters, barring stage choice and character MUs? Like..... how do you know when to remain confident in one character and how do you know to try another one?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
to youre last question. nobody can answer that but you, thats a personal thing that you have to work out on your own. thats one of the little things that seperates good players from great players

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Sounds about right.

With Pikachu, I hold :stick3: and press :cstick8: to platform cancel. That will make you dash after the platform cancel if your uair can autocancel during the start-up frames.
Thanks for the help

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Stop relying on rolling and grabbing so much and better your spacing ?
If you know what your problem is then the only thing left is get rid of it, right ?

C.J.

Smash Master
99 stock match vs CPU/friend/whatever. Every time you roll, kill yourself. Win by 30 stocks.

Have fun.

C.J.

Smash Master
That sounds more fun/less irritating assuming that a player actually does have a really bad rolling problem.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I've heard a couple times now that certain characters suffer 1-2 more frames of hitstun from moves like Falco's lasers. Can somebody provide me with a list of these characters? And what other moves have the same effect to these specific characters?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its the same character that shake the actual screen of the game when they get hit by said lasers.

Mario and ZSS I know for sure, theres like 2-3 others.

I think that affect is applicable to every electrical attack.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I was discussing somethings with DSF the other day regarding snakes dthrow buffer jab set ups. As we were going through it, it seemed that when jab was buffered he could still shield my get up attack when I was Metaknight. Now I know this is supposed to be way old and apparently when the get up attack is perfect frame snake cant shield. Is this true or no?

Also it seemed if i buffer rolled forward with marth and he buffered a jab from dthrow it would stand me up everytime. Now it didnt work for back roll but he can shield the get up attack easily in this scenario. I just wanted a confirmation on this.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Can anyone show me the hitbubbles for Ivysaur's N-Air? I need to know exactly how the spike works.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I was wondering what caused you to jump sometimes when you T stick, and if there was a way to avoid it.

Yikarur

Smash Master
T-Stick is a shortcut for tilt + attack + jump.
Attack has priority over jump.
it doesn't make much sense why jump is programmed into that function, it's the same with B-Stick :/
and that jump order works more like a button than like a C-Stick (you don't need to return the C-Stick to neutral to get additional jump inputs or something like that)

it's a non-sense programming error (can't imagine that was intentional :/ )

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
I get really nervous when I go to tourneys.. Can anyone tell me how to avoid your nerves getting the best of you?
I'm pretty new and nervous myself, so I don't know how much help I can be, but how do you get un-nervous at other places? Just spend a lot of time with the people there, inside and outside of the tournament, and if you know them well, you won't get nervous around them, in the game and out.

While getting to know those at the tournament will help you relax a bit, it won't help you all the way. Unfortunately, there's probably no better cure than a lot of tournament experience to get you accustomed to the entire situation and you'll feel less nervous as a result.

In the short term, however, try treating your friendlies, when playing with your main, like a tournament match (yes, I know it won't really be that effective) so that you never feel like losing with your main is OK when it's obvious that you could win. Then try to treat tournament matches like friendlies, so they'll become less stressful and you'll be less prone to making nervous mistakes, but you'll also take it seriously.

Hope that helps!

As for my question, how many characters do you think someone should viably play competitively? There are people like Ally who play a ton of characters, but a lot of people stick to 1 or 2. I'm personally struggling to choose between ~5 characters to find my 1 or 2, but maybe I won't have to give them all up. How many characters do you think is or should be the max? (Personal opinion.)

C.J.

Smash Master
Until you master your main, stick to one.

Ally can get away with playing half the cast because his fundamentals are beyond broken.

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess what I meant was that I'm playing 5-6 characters, none of which (or all of which) are my main, so I can't really decide which one to stick to. As a result, I'm falling into a "just play a bunch of characters and counterpick the other guy instead of overcoming bad matchups" mentality, which is obviously the worst thing ever.

At the same time, it would obviously be a bad idea to ask the boards to choose a main for me, so I want to find out the maximum number of.... "mains" recommended. If I could stick to one, I would, but if one is the maximum number, I guess I have to do a bit of soul searching.

Thanks! :)

Top Bottom