• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Okay, I´m just gonna ask here since last time I was blind and posted it in the wrong thread with the idea it said Q&A thread, seriously, wtf eyes

Till what percent does the chaingrab work on Ganondorf? And garantuated follow ups when its done or something?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
What is the frame data on Falco's jab 2?
2nd jab hits on frame 10 (counting frame 1 as first frame of 1st jab)
Linking to 2nd jab hit box advantage: -7 (opponent has 7 frames between shield stun and 2nd jab hit box)

I don't think anyone has researched how much shield/hit stun the 2nd jab has.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
a better recovery due to rising fair?
gimping ability and...a useful reflector with shine
chaingrab > dair > whatever the **** we want?

yeah falco would be broken.
its not that, its the shine momentum mixups that would be amazing. we wouldnt get juggled easily by metaknight anymore, and would have some cool mixups like shine stalling to nair/dair/airdodge on shield.

but yeah, enough with the dreaming :laugh:

M@v

Subarashii!
if falco had foxs dair, fair and shine he would probably beat mk tbh
I dont agree with the dair, but i do agree with the fair. Falco would have a vertical recovery! Fox's shine would be better vs mk, but Its not as useful for some matchups(ie diddy)

They are both good in different ways. Fox does not rely on the shine or anything, and neither to we.

I do have a question regarding DDD. I remember how Sonic's Dthrow if DIed down can be teched right in front of Sonic and you can punish him with a jab (maybe something else, but I forget the frame advantage). Well, I applied the same thing to DDD's Dthrow on Falco and the same thing is true. You will tech right infront of DDD. Was this already widely known?

If it was or was not know, I didn't know we could do it as falco. Anyone know if we can pull off a jab or something on DDD by doing this? If so, that is great as it ruins his tech chase against us.

All I did was hold down on the control stick and then tech. You hit the ground sooner than if you had not held down on the control stick.

Denzi

Smash Master
I was actually doing this to my friend all day today with Shiek. It makes sense Falco can do it too because they're about similar weights.

I would go straight for the grab. It will most likely catch the D3 off guard the first (few) time(s) you pull it off, after that they're going to mix in other throws to try to catch you with bad DI, as well as try different things after Dthrow (like inhale o_O). Just be careful that you don't get too eager for it and and up eating extra damage.

I was actually doing this to my friend all day today with Shiek. It makes sense Falco can do it too because they're about similar weights.

I would go straight for the grab. It will most likely catch the D3 off guard the first (few) time(s) you pull it off, after that they're going to mix in other throws to try to catch you with bad DI, as well as try different things after Dthrow (like inhale o_O). Just be careful that you don't get too eager for it and and up eating extra damage.
That is what I am wondering about. When you tech the attack that soon and end up right in his face without him even moving, I wonder how much time he even has to react to anything. I mean, a grab from us is 6 frames. While a jab is 2 frames. Flying Jab attack (AAA), is pretty unpunishable by DDD. Why not use Jab instead of risking a grab. I'm not even sure if DDD can evade the jab when we tech that close.

Look at sonic, pretty much every character that DI down and tech's his Dthrow gets around a 4 frame advantage on sonic, if I recall. That is the reason they never use Dthrow anymore and prefer to use Uthrow. I think we get a frame advantage against DDD that way.

I can duplicate the dthrow, the tech on my own, but the stuff afterwards is difficult. So, the frame advantage is what I was asking about. Against us, or with us?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
when does falco's reflector stop "reflecting"? I main diddy and if I was trying to punish with a GT OoS and was wondering if it still had reflective properties after it hits your sheild and if so for how long, i cant just test myself at the moment..

when does falco's reflector stop "reflecting"? I main diddy and if I was trying to punish with a GT OoS and was wondering if it still had reflective properties after it hits your sheild and if so for how long, i cant just test myself at the moment..
It keeps reflecting the whole time you see the 'blue shine'. When it kicks away from Falco, it is reflecting projectiles, and when it returns to falco it is reflecting.

I believe the best way to punish the reflector as diddy when you had a banana in hand was to glide toss towards Falco while tossing the banana up or down. This gets you close enough to punish the lag of the reflector without reflecting the banana back at you.

Denzi

Smash Master
^^This.^^

10frametraps

Well there are all the really standard ones with single/double jab cancels, and then there's the one where if they airdodge your Uair you get another free aerial.

And of course you can do some interesting things with dthrow after CG percents.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
It keeps reflecting the whole time you see the 'blue shine'. When it kicks away from Falco, it is reflecting projectiles, and when it returns to falco it is reflecting.

I believe the best way to punish the reflector as diddy when you had a banana in hand was to glide toss towards Falco while tossing the banana up or down. This gets you close enough to punish the lag of the reflector without reflecting the banana back at you.
Side B the reflector.

Not really frame traps:
Jab/jabx2, dtilt(ridiculous shield push even if they sit in their shield)
Dthrow-> walk forward and shield grab an airdodge or attack
Short hop autocanceled uair->grab

Backwards hit of the uair on their shield isn't shield grab-able just like bair or maybe even moreso because it has nice shield knock back. It has potential to shield poke.
Backwards hit of the fsmash on shield is not shield grab-able.

AdmiralStarshade

Smash Rookie
I find falco phantasm to be difficult to cancel. (I'm sure everyone else kinda has a hard time too :/) On which frame of the attack do you press B to cancel the phantasm? The first cancel possible.

Side B the reflector.
I would have thought that would have taken too long to execute.

I find falco phantasm to be difficult to cancel. (I'm sure everyone else kinda has a hard time too :/) On which frame of the attack do you press B to cancel the phantasm? The first cancel possible.
Grounded Phantasm:

Frame 1-16 - Start-up.
Frame 17 - "Ping" noise. Hitbox comes out. Press B to cancel at shortest possible distance.
Frame 18 - Press B to cancel at middle distance.
Frame 19 - Press B to cancel at longest distance.
Frame 20-54 - Cooldown.
Frame 55 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at any distance.
Frame 56-57 - Cooldown for uncancelled Phantasm.
Frame 58 - Other actions can be universally performed.

Perfect IAP

Frame 1-6 - Jump animation.
Frame 7-22 - Start-up.
Frame 23 - "Ping" noise. Hitbox comes out. Press B to cancel at shortest possible distance.
Frame 24 - Press B to cancel at mid distance.
Frame 25 - Press B to cancel at longest distance.
Frame 26-43 - Cooldown.
Frame 44 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the shortest possible distance.
Frame 45 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at mid distance.
Frame 46 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the longest distance.
Frame 47-50 - Cooldown for uncancelled Phantasm.
Frame 51 - Other actions can be universally performed.
Someone should really put this in frame data if they can. *mods?

Exdeath

Smash Master
2nd jab hits on frame 10 (counting frame 1 as first frame of 1st jab)
Linking to 2nd jab hit box advantage: -7 (opponent has 7 frames between shield stun and 2nd jab hit box)

I don't think anyone has researched how much shield/hit stun the 2nd jab has.
Shield/hit stun was actually what I was wanting the most. :ohwell:

Santa_Clauz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been messing round with control schemes for a while now, and came across an interesting thing. As I'm sure most of you know, Falco has 2 DACUSes, a relatively short one using a grab button, and a significantly longer one using attack. (1/3 of FD vs a bit under 1/2)

As such, I have been considering putting Z on attack. I already use X for grab which works well for quick grabs, and L is set to jump. I know I loose easy boost grabbing and boost pivot grabs, which while useful, are not really key, but neither is DACUS. I am trying to decide if it is worth losing these ATs for a longer DACUS. However, spacing this longer dacus is a little more difficult.

A note, I can do short DACUS with X moderately well, but I can't really do the long one with A properly.

Your thoughts?

erick gm14

Smash Ace
@santa lauz, ive used these settings since brawl came out just for falco's boost smash xD ive gotten acustomed to it and works fine. i would also recommend the "claw" method and use your pointer finger to hit A with and try that out. both are fine for me, im just used to Z as atk and Y grab ^_^

QUestion, is IAP into another IAP a smart move? seems like a good mixup evry now and then but doesnt seem to be promising in the end.. your thoughts?

Santa_Clauz

Smash Rookie
@erick gm14: I dunno, it's not really an issue of difficulty, I'm very good at learning ATs, so I'm sure I can make both DACUS work either way, but I mean, Boost pivot grabs, however situational, are useful for CGing if you're on the wrong side of the stage for a spike, more an issue of the relative usefulness of the different DACUS and of Boost/Boost Pivot Grabs than any kind of technique, and I want to most useful to be the easiest to perform.

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
Ok now someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but i do not beleive there are "2 different kinds of dacus'"...I think your either referring to a boost upsmash (as in dashing and performing a sliding upsmash) and thena regular DACUS. Now if the dacus is going different distances, that may mean you are performing some more precise frame-wise than others creating the illusion of 2 different DACUS.

IMO if you change your controls to where you cannot perform any AT falco has..(any character for that matter) no matter how small the AT..it will take away from your game. Boost Pivot Grabs are nice to throw in and catch ur enemy offguard.

Also..i do reccoment 'claw'.
my 2 cents

Santa_Clauz

Smash Rookie
Well, yes and no. Both forms of the DACUS have similar button inputs, but the longer DACUS is performed with an attack button, and the other with grab, and they will go different distances. Test it, or look it up on youtube, 2 frame perfect DACUS' with the different inputs, will go different distances.

Here's a video actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvDmnP3LATA
it's an emulator so it's easier to perform and see it, but I have tried it on the actual game and the effect is the same.

Also, I can do any AT he has with both control setups, but it's just a matter of ease of which to perform them and the trade off of effectiveness.

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
Oh i see what you mean by ease of performing them. (i have to actually look at my hands to see how someone holding the controll regular would do it >.>) I would say the DACUS would be needed to perform easier since he helps with falco's killing potential. That is until u can master the bdacus..but even then.. <3 dacus

Santa_Clauz

Smash Rookie
mmm true, Falco does have trouble killing, and the CG is not as important. I am also trying to learn BDACUS atm, but it takes a while, I get it about 20% of the time now. Thing is, on a lot of the stages, the long DACUS is actually harder to space and use. I think I'll just test both for a while and settle on one eventually.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
BDACUS is a very good followup from dthrow, even if theyre not at kill percents its an option to use it to finish juggle combos with a flare and set him up to get juggled even more.

I just wish I could do it. I started doing anything technical with smash only when brawl came out. It took me the longest time to get even the SDHL timing down. Even longer with SHL. Now, given a couple of matches, I can adjust to the different timings of SHL/SHDL between falco and fox.

However, that is simply timing. Anything technical (which brawl lacks most of the time) is alien to me. It will probably take me even longer to get the bdacus down. Problem is that I cannot tell when i get bdacus, or a regular one.

Santa_Clauz

Smash Rookie
BDACUS only occurs out of lag, and occurs instantly once lag ends, and will almost always go further, as it's automatically frame perfect, if you need pointers. It's really obvious if you try it out of spot dodge, as you start inputing it as soon as the dodge starts.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Technically, this is not a Falco specific question, but it seems very useful for Falco.

If you spike someone onto the ground during their recovery move (noticeably snake's cypher and fox/Falco phantasm), are they forced to stand up? I noticed this in some combo videos, such as BluB's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcbTxYTK7sk#t=0m34s)

I have seen this a few times. Is it just a really nice read, does it only happen past certain % marks, does it only affect a few moves, and/or am i incredibly stupid? It seems particularly useful for Falco at high percent for his forward smash.

(i only capitalized the proper nouns i respect lol (jk))

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
BDACUS with Falco is easy. I can do it without inputting anything beforehand.

For people having trouble with BDACUS and thinking they need to input something before it (spot dodge/etc.), try mastering Shiek's DACUS in practice mode. If you can get that, you'll find BDACUS on Falco just as hard (or easy, once you've gotten it.)

I can not for the life of me get dash attack->u-smash consistently (as in they both connect.) Someone explain the visual cues for me? Am I buffering the u-smash too quickly?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What control settings are you on? I get the 2 hit combo every time i try DACUS. BDacus i'm still adjusting to, as i use normal control setup.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
R set to Attack. C-stick for dash attack of course. Also, there might be a slight difference in difference between BDACUS and the elongated DACUS? Perhaps it looks like the BDACUS I'm doing consistently without previous input but it's actually just a regular DACUS?

(basing distances off this vid, they're different by a very small amount)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOAByZDXpQ&NR=1

Let me re-check when I get the chance.

Top Bottom