• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I Don't mind Brinstar unless it's vs Wario or MK, getting the occasional spike on someone sharking is a great feeling.
Halberd isn't too bad, much better than del Fino IMO.

and I love Pokemon Stadium 1. You'd be surprised how Falco's moveset compliments that stage. Its usually my goto if FD is banned
Pokemon stadium isn't as great for Falco. The stage changes don't really compliment Falco that well, plus the PS1's ledge makes more difficult to recover.

Brinstar vs. Wario isn't too bad, not compared to MK. At least Falco can land a grab release f/usmash if he grabs Wario near a slope.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
The ledge may be a ***** to some people but at least its always in the same place unlike Lylat. The stage changes may not compliment lasers, but they do compliment camping, forcing the other character to approach or camp as well controlling the pace of the map.
Even a low % CG->Spike could mean death because of the strange lip at the edge.
The varying platforms that appear help to mix up Phantasm recovery.

Brinstar vs. Wario isn't too bad, not compared to MK. At least Falco can land a grab release f/usmash if he grabs Wario near a slope.
That's true, but the way the stage is set up compliments wario's aerial prowess at being a fat floaty doucebag. I would also say the fleshy parts that extend hitboxes work for him more than against him more ofetn than not

Pokemon stadium isn't as great for Falco. The stage changes don't really compliment Falco that well, plus the PS1's ledge makes more difficult to recover.
My opinion on PS1 has been the way it has been for a long time. The ledge can be annoying, but so can the ledge on FD. I have resolved myself to the notion that recovery with phantasm should be like SHDL/SHL. We should be doing it so often that we would rarly mess it up. Besides the ledge is really no less worse than a few other stages like Delfinio, Brinstar, or Frigate. You are probably more likly to mess up the timing for cancels than aimming for the ledge.

The stage changes mess up falco's gameplay, but they are not indefinite. The stage always returns to being flat before changing which means you will spend more time with the stage being battlefield-like.

Rock/Fire stages are typically camp stages anyway and since we love to camp it really does not matter if we camp for little while. Even if we cannot force it there with lasers, we can with percent lead. Even so, Falco is very good in close quarters. WIth people approaching us in close quarters should mean we get an edge (depending upon the match-up).

Grass and water stages I really believe we can stall on. The structures seem to be in the right place to circle camp. It is not perfect, but it is possible. So, by doing all of that, it does not seem difficult to make the stage rather falco friendly. It certainly seems a better pick after neutrals.

Edit: I just noticed you never really disagreed with it being a good stage, you seemed to imply it was not as good as other stages.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I agree with him just because I don't like PS1.
Well I love PS1 and think it's pri awesome.

It has a slightly lower ceiling which I always welcome, I usually tend to get killed off the side so I don't see it as a disadvantage in any way either.

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
Question: How does Falco hold up in doubles? What sort of tactic do you use? Camp with lasers or rack up damage with close attacks?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I came on here a while ago asking for a CP. A bunch of people said Marth, a bunch of people said Snake. I was checkin them out, and honestly, I didn't like it...

So I tried out MK. It worked out pretty well, except for the fact that I felt like a frontrunner. I hated it.

So I was looking at Falco's biggest weaknesses: Pika, MK, R.O.B, Kirby, Marth, and G&W. A bunch of characters weren't working out for me, whether it was personal preference, or matchup weakness getting in the way (I'm really picky). Then, I stumbled upon one character: Olimar.

He's the cure to all of those crap matchups, with the exception of Marth and MK. And his only other weaknesses are Luigi and Peach, which can be easily cured with Falco.

So, I'm looking for an opinion. Is this a smart choice? Are there smarter choices (other than Snake, MK, and Marth)? Thanks.

Edited grammer errors lol.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
I came on here a while ago asking for a CP. A bunch of people said Marth, a bunch of people said Snake. I was checkin them out, and honestly, I didn't like it...

So I tried out MK. It worked out pretty well, except for the fact that I felt like a frontrunner. I hated it.

So I was looking at Falco's biggest weaknesses: Pika, MK, R.O.B, Kirby, Marth, and G&W. A bunch of characters weren't working out for me, whether it was personal preference, or matchup weakness getting in the way (I'm really picky). Then, I stumbled upon one character: Olimar.

He's the cure to all of those crap matchups, with the exception of Marth and MK. And his only other weaknesses are Luigi and Peach, which can be easily cured with Falco.

So, I'm looking for an opinion. Is this a smart choice? Are there smarter choices (other than Snake, MK, and Marth)? Thanks.

Are you asking if Olimar is a smart choice to use against Falco? I'm pretty sure Falco's jab/full jab combo cancels everything Oli has and a perfect silent laser game opens up more opportunities for Falco and cancels grab attempts by Oli. I don't think we've discussed that matchup in a while, but personally I feel that match up is 60-40 Falco, and even at best.
I'm most likely overselling the MU in Falco's favor, but I guarantee no Olimar main is thinking "Sweet I'm fighting Falco, easy win!"

If anything learning the grab "combos" with Pika and/ICs would be the simplest CP against Falco, and if the "I don't wanna be cheap to win" mentality is keeping you from picking them up too; then I say because of the tools Falco has there are no real (other) Counters to him as a character, just different characters that certain Falco mains struggle agaisnt.

EDIT: Totally misread it but I'll leave it up there because if anything I'd like to discuss Olimar as a matchup again

To actually answer I'd say DK :D He's the complete opposite of Falco: Heavy, every move is Strong, has super armor, and range. Yet still goes even with Snake, MK, Marth and Falco counters DK's worse matchups as well.
Only tough matchups remaining are Pika and ICs, Marth shuts down Pika and MK is pretty much my only real answer to an IC that knows how to fight Falco =/

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I'm asking if he's a good secondary. I'm a Falco main, looking for an alt. And I think Oli would be good to stumble upon, seeing that he cures 4 of Falco's 6 big issues.

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice

If im not mistaken, MK and Marth are about even matchups. I wouldn't consider them weaknesses. As for Pika and ICs, I'm in the process of learning Lucario. He has 60:40 ICs and 55:45 Pika (lucario's favor on both), according to the Luc boards. His DAir and FTilt are good tools for seperating ICs.

ROB i wouldn't consider him as having a steep enough adv to play a secondary. The ROB boards have the matchup at 55:45 ROB. Also Lucario boards has the Kirby matchup 60:40 Lucario. Though the G&W matchup is 60:40 GW.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
Around 3:08, How Does He Shoot The Lasers Without Doing The Backflip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ayLfFAfjI&feature=related
Also, Whats The Thread For SDI & DI ?

M@v

Subarashii!
The point people are trying to get across here is that ps1 is good for falco, but not GREAT, for the reasons DM said.

Denzi

Smash Master
The point people are trying to get across here is that ps1 is good for falco, but not GREAT, for the reasons DM said.
I'd say it's also highly dependant on which character you're facing. For example, against the ICs the stage is good because the transformations will mess with/break the CG. But against someone with largely disjointed attacks, like Marth or ZSS, it can be hard to get near them at all, and sometimes turns certain transformations into just standing there and waiting (not to mention marth's dtilt lock).

@YUNq PHR3$H: He ran back, jumped, and either RAR'd the lasers of B reversed them.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
In my experience, Falco in doubles is largely dependent on your partner actually knowing how to team with him.

If your partner has experience playing with Falco, then you can do a lot of great things such as comboing after CG-spikes or lasers overhead to supplement their ground game. They also need to know how to give Falco space, and how to take pressure off the ledges so he can recover.

It takes a lot of practice though, since he's so unconventional compared to most other characters in doubles.

I have teamed with some MK's and used Falco and done decently, but it's hard because most players don't understand how to play with Falco in teams.

Normally I just go DeDeDe instead :p

swordsaint

Smash Master
Yeah it largely depends on your partner knowing how to team with him. When I team with someone good in teams who can adapt to their partner quickly, I'm able to get second in teams with Falco. He's actually good in teams imo, just requires a different style.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Yeah, he requires a much different style of play which causes most people to think that he's bad.

Even with an adapted playstyle he's not amazing, but he's viable.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Yeah, he requires a much different style of play which causes most people to think that he's bad.

Even with an adapted playstyle he's not amazing, but he's viable.
I disagree, with the right style, a good team partner who can play off Falco, I think he's easily one of the best.

I particularly enjoy teaming with Ness, they cover eachothers weaknesses not too bad.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I'm having a little more trouble than I should against a REALLY amazing Peach player in my region lately.

I win...but it's way too close. Help?

Anxiety

Smash Apprentice
Any advice for the Toon Link matchup? How its played? I couldn't really find any videos of Falco vs TL...
i play against MJG and can't touch this kid..
any advice would help

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Perfect shield all of his projectiles. It messes with his playstyle and his head. If he backs off, laser and force an approach; if he gets more aggressive, punish. There's a reason TL plays campy.

Also don't get irritated when his shield blocks your lasers. It WILL happen, and probably under the most annoying circumstances. I've actually ended up losing games because of it. When SHDL, aim for his head, and don't standing laser unless he's moving.

In the air TL is good. In my experience however its quite easy to bait his attacks and follow up with Uair or Bair, given how fast your vertical movement is compared to his.

Zach.

Smash Rookie
Hi, beginner-y question here: why is Falco considered so much better than Fox? They're extremely similar as far as I can tell.

Denzi

Smash Master
Hi, beginner-y question here: why is Falco considered so much better than Fox? They're extremely similar as far as I can tell.

We have better lasers and Side B, a better jab, and all around better aerials(somewhat debatable).

There's also the fact that we have a 0~45% on more than half the cast that often ends in a spike offstage, giving us more damage + a potential kill.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I dunno how serious you guys will take me or whatever, but I'd like to think I've been a pretty dedicated and knowledgable Falco main for a good while now. Is it too much to ask to be in the Falco backroom? If anything is in there that can give me even a slight advantage that I don't already have, it'd be a great chance for me I think. :)

Flaco back room is dead I believe.

You have to press B with good timing after you activate phantasm. There is a slight sound that is made just before the window of pressing B comes into play. So, you can use that as a starting point to figure out how to get the timing down.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice

You have to press B with good timing after you activate phantasm. There is a slight sound that is made just before the window of pressing B comes into play. So, you can use that as a starting point to figure out how to get the timing down.
thanks, but is there a thread or a link to this timing?

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman

how do you get a recommendation?

thanks, but is there a thread or a link to this timing?
Off the top of my head, I do not recall any threads devoted to phantasm canceling. Still looking though.

However, I cannot imagine making a whole thread devoted to a simple concept such as phantasm canceling. You simply press the B button at the right time, in the start-up lag of the attack. Apart from knowing that there is a slight sound made before the 3 frame window to cancel appears, there is not much else to know about performing it. The rest is merely practice.

how do you get a recommendation?
More than likely from those actually in it for an actual recommendation. But getting admitted would require you to actually have skill with using falco or a lot of knowledge about him.

I still say the FBR is dead. All other x character back rooms are pretty much dead.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

We have better lasers and Side B, a better jab, and all around better aerials(somewhat debatable).

There's also the fact that we have a 0~45% on more than half the cast that often ends in a spike offstage, giving us more damage + a potential kill.
if falco had foxs dair, fair and shine he would probably beat mk tbh

swordsaint

Smash Master
a better recovery due to rising fair?
gimping ability and...a useful reflector with shine
chaingrab > dair > whatever the **** we want?

yeah falco would be broken.

Top Bottom