• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Exceptions are things like MK's dash attack which is utterly brokenly good and clashes with all (non transcendent) hitboxes 10% stronger or weaker than it.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
"fake" an approach (or even take some damage every now and then to appear as if you are really trying to get them off the ledge) until they exceed the ledge grab limit..then time their ***** out

The_SMILE

Smash Apprentice
I really like this idea. And I'll try to use it in tourny's with a ledge grab limit. But what about tourny's that don't have a ledge grab limit rule?

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
When I spike someone on the ground -> jab -> shield(?) grab dthrow to another spike, should I use shield grab after the jab or normal grab?

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
I use shieldgrab but I think you'd be doing the same thing if you've got an almost secure grab. Either way most opponents will probably roll dodge away so you're probably not gonna get punished, unless you're going up against someone who can jab/smash faster than you can grab them.

erick gm14

Smash Ace
Any ideas on how to deal with meanie face meta's that'll get a lead and plank the hole match?
the idea is NOT to let MK get the lead lol. i know it sounds hard but u have lasers and a CG to work with. im sure ur not dumb enough to get hit from MKs dair camping, unless u time and space it right with a full hop Bair or nair. if he is planking the best thing I always do is laser across the stage since the MK would want some space to come back in or keep planking like a ***. if all else fails go across the stage and taunt his *** , free hit for him unless ur good at baiting with taunts like me :awesome:

How useful is shielding the ledge at all to combat plankers in a way. I was playing a marth recently that kept abusing Nair on the edge, and I finally managed to get him away from the ledge by shieldgrabbing him out of the air when he was going for Nair. I wonder how well this might work on MKs who try to go above the ledge at all?

It would not work if it was spaced below the stage, but it is a way to punish those who come up above the stage.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if there is no ledge limit and a MK is planking you..falco has almost no options. Especially if the MK does it right and doesn't come above the stage. I've had little success in that part of my game so if anyone has any tips for that please share. Usually, if there's no limit and i'm against a MK i either go Marth or MK instead of falco.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
only thing Ive ever done that had even a mild form of success was attempting to steal the ledge from the MK, than going for an invincible ledge drop double jump dair.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
What's the correct way to do the Rain Dance (run off the stage into that weird rising double laser stuff)?

Are there any audio or visual ques I can use to consistently shorten side b? To extend it I just press it during the teleport but to shorten it I more or less guess and get lucky sometimes. ;o

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
that's what i've been calling it ever since the first time I saw it.

i figured that if I coined the term Bonewalking as soon as Bone posted the thread about his turnip slide thingy then I can impose the term Rain Dance on the Falcos.

ya'll nugguhz can't fkn tell me that Rain Dancin' doesn't sound cool.

OH WHERE YA AT? runs off the stage...RAIN DANCE!...WOMBO COMBO....OOOOOOOOOOOOH **** SON THAT WAS HOT!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Are there any audio or visual ques I can use to consistently shorten side b? To extend it I just press it during the teleport but to shorten it I more or less guess and get lucky sometimes. ;o
Right before the teleport a little star appears and twinkles/rotates. If you press B before it twinkles you'll short cancel, if you press B after it has twinkled you'll long cancel.

And for the "rain dance" it really has no secret : drop off, jump back and laser. You just have to practice the timing.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
it's what I call it lol. spread my verbal seed!

and i have probs w/ the rain dance. idk when to time it or how far off the ledge to drop b/c if i get the lasers on the stage correctly I don't manage to land back on the stage and if I do it so I make it on the stage it just ends up being a standard double laser or I mess up and single laser.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
MKs can perfectly plank i.e. uair drop down SL regrab. You litterally can't do anything about it. The only thing possible is if the MK SLs too early you have the SMALLEST window to Dair him for a spike, but that would mean you'd have to not be hit by the uair AND SL and then get the spike in = if the mk is perfect planking, just Laser and space ftilt like larry lol

Vermy

Smash Champion
Hi Falco boards. I dropped the birdie about a year or so ago, and tried to prove something with Pokemon Trainer, but now every Marth and his sister can grab release tipper my Squirtle for a kill at ridiculously low percents. And so I return to pew pew. I imagine things have changed since I mained Falco, and I've come across some bumps in the road:

1) You're holding the ledge, MK is sitting just above you and starts to nado back and forth as to not get his by get up attack. What is the best option to get back on stage? I've been using nair to cut through and hit him, but it's inconsistent. Do I have anty safer options?

2) Gatling combo, when is an appropriate time to use it? I've been using it when I notice my opponent's habit to shield grab me a lot, or on lighter characters after a couple dthrows.

3) Fair is still terrible, right?

4) My jab mixups tend to get stale. Particularly against characters who have great OOS options (Shuttle loop, Dolphin slash). Jab>grab, jab combo>reflector, jab combo>dash attack, jab combo>back roll>phantasm, jab combo>ftilt. What's a better idea against those with previosuly mentioned OOS options?

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Hi Falco boards. I dropped the birdie about a year or so ago, and tried to prove something with Pokemon Trainer, but now every Marth and his sister can grab release tipper my Squirtle for a kill at ridiculously low percents. And so I return to pew pew. I imagine things have changed since I mained Falco, and I've come across some bumps in the road:

1) You're holding the ledge, MK is sitting just above you and starts to nado back and forth as to not get his by get up attack. What is the best option to get back on stage? I've been using nair to cut through and hit him, but it's inconsistent. Do I have anty safer options?
If he's right above you and you just land on the ledge (still have invince frames)..spam jump. You'll ledge hop and then footstool MK (it wont cancel his tornado) and gives you enormous space between you and him.

2) Gatling combo, when is an appropriate time to use it? I've been using it when I notice my opponent's habit to shield grab me a lot, or on lighter characters after a couple dthrows.
After a silent laser works for me (assuming the laser hits). Charging the upsmash after the dash attack for a second or two will catch those who shieldgrab your incoming dash attack. Also after a spike (onto the stage) if you read their tech.

Yes, appearantly you can gimp diddy easily with it, i haven't looked too much into it.

4) My jab mixups tend to get stale. Particularly against characters who have great OOS options (Shuttle loop, Dolphin slash). Jab>grab, jab combo>reflector, jab combo>dash attack, jab combo>back roll>phantasm, jab combo>ftilt. What's a better idea against those with previosuly mentioned OOS options?
Jab Canceling works as a mixup. Against Shuffle Loop (yeah shuffle), and Dolphin Slash, Jab to Shield will do the trick.
Answers in red.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
how do you jab cancel properly?
It's the same as Ike's. Press A twice and hit down really quick.

1. I like to drop down and regrab so the tornado doesn't drag me off the edge. When I feel safe I just land on the edge of the stage with a single laser.

2. I like using it randomly whenever they're at a low enough % for it to actually work. After chaingrab spike you can go for it.

3. Yes. However, like Ares said, there's a thread about how you can somehow use it to gimp Diddy.

4. Eh, I guess jab > short hop airdodge? It's the safest. Plus yeah, those are old/overused follow-ups...

swordsaint

Smash Master
old doesnt mean bad

mix ups are mixups because they work sometimes. people still get hit by aaa > reflector. Never think otherwise just because they shield it once. Remember, if you aaa > reflector a few times, and they begin shielding it, aaa > grab becomes viable.

again, mix ups are exactly that.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
old doesnt mean bad

mix ups are mixups because they work sometimes. people still get hit by aaa > reflector. Never think otherwise just because they shield it once. Remember, if you aaa > reflector a few times, and they begin shielding it, aaa > grab becomes viable.

again, mix ups are exactly that.
I know old =/= bad.
Queen, AC/DC, Van Halen, Styx, Foreigner, Bob Marley, etc ;)

But for real, I know they're not bad but predicted so much more. But, whatever, it's their combo choice...

Choice

Smash Champion
to not get hit by the 2nd hit? sdi up. if you're trying to just di after being hit (assuming the 2nd hit lands), left or right.

if only the 1st hit lands, you can't really di it that well.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
ok so ya do the whole cg spike **** or just land a random spike into the ground...

what exactly is best method to go about tech chasing?

what do we look out for?

general rules for it?

best options to follow-up?

opponent's best options?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Alright, so I'm actually sticking by my words and branching out (character-wise). I feel that I know enough as Bowser, I know MUs and everything, but only with him and on his end. I have general knowledge of all the characters, ATs and stuff, but that's it.

Anyway, I love using Falco and I'm pretty decent with him I guess. He's not the best secondary for Bowser, but I'll worry about those later. I know the basics and things like that, but I want to really feel like I know something besides just Bowser.

Where should I start?/What threads should I read?

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Alright, so I'm actually sticking by my words and branching out (character-wise). I feel that I know enough as Bowser, I know MUs and everything, but only with him and on his end. I have general knowledge of all the characters, ATs and stuff, but that's it.

Anyway, I love using Falco and I'm pretty decent with him I guess. He's not the best secondary for Bowser, but I'll worry about those later. I know the basics and things like that, but I want to really feel like I know something besides just Bowser.

Where should I start?/What threads should I read?
personally I think your best bet is to read the matchup threads. If you feel comfortable enough with falco to say you're pretty decent then you probably just need to work on match up things now

Top Bottom